Wolverines

29 replies to this topic

#1 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

More preciselty, my pheonix one. I had an old, old loadout on it for the last pffft, I dunno, 8 months? Two AC2 on the arm, 3 SSRM2, and a flamer for lulz on the kisser. I think BAP and an AMS, 2 JJ. Or one JJ even, doesnt matter.

Well, tried it tonight cause it was on the A list for this mechbay ****. LOL, well, lets see. JJ nerf, check. AC2 nerf, check, SRM fixed now vs 3 Streaks in a world where lights cant wolfpack like they used to...well you get the idea.

Seriously, AC2 got **** on so much, I cant see a use for them anymore, a mech I used to get 400+ dmg on regularily I ended with 140 dmg on one match i ran, I dont think I need to describe how the single JJ performed, and I had one target i got one salvo off on that had the streaks worthwhile(ecm raven thought it should sass me up close) So, i go to mechlab, strip the thing, and then look at it for a while, and say....huh.

What do I load on this thing? I thought at first AC10 with some SRM, but not sure and didnt have one on hand at the time, so decided to just go here.

I like the griffin and wolvie, but stuff that worked when I was on them last fall, well, its all different and I was wondering what the "new" post JJ/AC2/SRM fix thoughts were on role and loadouts. Bigger engines and more fire support? SRM splatbots? LRM5 boating support harassers? What are you guys running and how do you play it?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

AC10 w/2 tons ammo, ML, 3xSSRM w/2 tons ammo, 300XL, BAP, 4 jets, endo steel, 368 armor.

The basic idea is to take a CN9-A build, slap it into the WVR-6R (modify energy weapon load as needed), and then pull the engine for a good size XL and add some jets.

As for playing it, use your left arm to tank, support the big boys. Also a lot like a CN9-A.

#3 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

I run mine like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e3ddae0f7f81128

I'll usually get somewhere between 200 and 700 damaged, depending on map (and a bit of luck.) It makes for a great assault hunter, particularly in the later stages of a match. You can out manoeuvre any assault in the game, and just hammer them with LBX and SRMs. The LBX makes it pretty good at scaring off lights, too.

The thing to remember is that you're running a medium. If you get into a straight fight with pretty much anything, it's going to hurt.

#4 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

haha ravensScar beat me to it, yup that's the same build I use and for very similar reasons. Like he said, try not to engage anything directly or for very long until the end of the match.

#5 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostRavensScar, on 15 August 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

Looks like a decent walking cluster gun, but I'd swap the 2xSRM6 for 3xSRM4, they cycle faster. EDIT: Also, if you have to buy a new engine, go for a 280XL, same tonnage.

Edited by Escef, 16 August 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#6 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the info guys, still have to buy this variant!

#7 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

I've been using this one with a lot of success. It hits really hard, has the perfect reload time so you can twist between each salvo, it has the speed and survivability. The only downside is that it's very ammo dependent, but you should be pulling 1000+ damage matches if you're running out of ammo anyway.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bffeb14548043f

#8 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks guys, looks like I wasnt too far off with the AC10 thoughts. I like the triple SRM4 too. Is 3 JJ pretty do-able? Is there any advantage to say dropping one SRM for more JJ? I mean I know it will fly farther, but is that a practical tonnage expense in actual gameplay, or is 3/4 the sweet spot? I am a fluent jump brawler, having mastered the 12 JJ spider back in the day averaging 300/400 dmg matches with 2ML. if going all out on JJ(7) will be very noticable vs 3 or 4, I might do it.

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

3-4 jets should be enough to get you around. You're too big to go unnoticed long atop high terrain, you just need enough to get you over hills, help climb canyon walls, and get over obstructing teammates in close quarters.

#10 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostTahribator, on 16 August 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

I've been using this one with a lot of success. It hits really hard, has the perfect reload time so you can twist between each salvo, it has the speed and survivability. The only downside is that it's very ammo dependent, but you should be pulling 1000+ damage matches if you're running out of ammo anyway.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bffeb14548043f

Same build I run and still run, got over 200k experience on this build as well as the 7K with PPC, love me some Wolverines. The 6K however is the odd duck that I am still tinkering with to find a build acceptable to my play style. :)

#11 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

I started to make some loadout changes to my Wolverine WVR-7K and now it has a critical loadout error which shows blank and will not let me load it or use it. Any idea how I can fix this?

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostSilas Black Warrior, on 21 August 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I started to make some loadout changes to my Wolverine WVR-7K and now it has a critical loadout error which shows blank and will not let me load it or use it. Any idea how I can fix this?

Use the strip feature, strip everything off of it, hit save; that should fix it.

#13 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

View PostEscef, on 21 August 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

Use the strip feature, strip everything off of it, hit save; that should fix it.

And if that doesn't work try a hammer and a block of C4 :D

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostKensaisama, on 22 August 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

And if that doesn't work try a hammer and a block of C4 :D

I'd contact support@mwomercs.com before going that far.

#15 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

7 JJs are great fun and at 0.5t/piece usually affordable, but not on this variant. It has to combine ballistic and missile weapons, both fairly cumbersome systems that require a lot of dedicated tonnage and slots. Combining them on a medium mech will always leave you hard pressed for free tonnage and compromises are unavoidable.

280XL engine is perfect after speed tweak, but before you get it, you will probably want something faster. It will do in a pinch, but you will be slower than Mad Cats.

Forget that SSRMs exist.

I've three versions that served me well:

The one listed above with 3 SRM4 (3t), AC10 (3t), ML, 4 JJs and XL280 - good, but SRMs without Artemis are often painful to watch
The one I prefer with 3 ASRM4 (3t), UAC5 (3t), ML, 4 JJs and XL280
And the crazy one with 3 ASRM6(5t), 2 MGs(1t), ML and rest into JJs and speed.

#16 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Ty for all the input, just had to strip it down and rebuild it. Much appreciation

#17 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

I run the devastating Gauss jumping man :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8cb7cb24982b62e

XL300 is enough for the speed for a Gauss carrier, i run the others Wolverine with more speed. The four JJ allow you to jump high and quick and the arm monted gauss is deadly accurate compare to clan mechs without arm actuators! Compare to a Shawk with a Gauss, it's less high monted, but more agile because mounted in the arms. That's why i use a lot of JJ on it, to poptart a little.

If ennemies come close to kill you, you can pack some punch with the triple SRM2 and a medium laser.

Try it, love it. If you don't love Gauss, well just don't try it =)

See you on battlefield!

Edited by Aleski, 05 September 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#18 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

i have been running mine with 2 AC5's and 3 LRM5's. use it as a fire support mech and it works fine. been thinking of swapping the LRM's for SRM's just havent yet

#19 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

My (P) variant used to be my favorite mech. I ran it like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...abc600aa6e2fd94

Then I decided to grind Lights, go for the 2500 assists in Lights and Assaults (already had it in heavies), and grind a few mechs I had to Master to get the extra module slot.

But the 6R(P) was my favorite.

Like you, I came back to it just as a break from Heavies annnnnnnnd...utterly ineffective. It used to be some poor Jenner or Firestarter would get in my sites and could not escape fast enough to live. Now they just kind of chuckle it off as the Streaks apparently bounce off of them.

I've tried a couple different builds, because the Wolverine is my favorite mech, but haven't settled on anything that was as fun as that original build was.

#20 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

I run my 6R with an XL300, Ac10, 1mL, and 2 SRM 6's. It's pretty fun and a good fire support mech for the first part of the game and a terror at the end if you are still alive by then. Think Centurion with jumpjets and more speed.

My 7K has 1 Lpl, 2 ml, 3 srm 6 with an XL 300. This thing will rip people apart and is fast enough to run/jump out of danger. My favorite medium chassis (couldn't stand the 6K though).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users