170 replies to this topic

#21 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 09 September 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

That footage was for MW5 that never came to fruition, not MWO. It was released 5 years ago, long before MWO was ever conceived.

Correction, it was supposed to be a reboot of the MechWarrior franchise.

And having that much progress in a game development, and then dump it entirely.

Hmm.

#22 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

It was intended for the XBOX, it's not even a PC game. Why are you bringing it up?

#23 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

I applaud PGI for taking the brave steps at attempting to tackle another game while in the middle of MWO. This is a gutsy move and I sincerely hope they do well.

However looking at the information on the Tranverse website (trailer is cool and so is the site - very informative and awesome graphics) the main thought that springs to mind is why would I back this when Star Citizen is available? Realistically SC is 1 - 1.5 years away and going on the information on Transverse the plan is to have it 'ready' by 2015 as well. Unless work has been in the pipeline for sometime I can't see Transverse being ready with all the features that players would expect (emphasis on expect) by this time. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck PGI, I'll still support MWO but funding another space sim ... unfortunately not.

#24 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 09 September 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Correction, it was supposed to be a reboot of the MechWarrior franchise.

And having that much progress in a game development, and then dump it entirely.

Hmm.

They spent a long time trying to find a publisher for MechWarrior 5 as a single player experience, before IGP agreed to publish them if they made it an online MMO instead. Everything in the trailer was rendered in engine (Unreal rather than CryEngine, another change after signing on with IGP) - thus the "in game footage" indicating this wasn't produced on a cinematic render farm with effects you'd never see in game.

Returning to the topic at hand, it's got my interest, though I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy into it without more details. The "no NPCs" thing sounds interesting (I'm imagining the pseudo-NPC remnants being controlled by actions the players have previously undertaken) and an exploration of transhumanity (à la Eclipse Phase) is something this could offer that neither Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous promise. If either of those angles flatline, though, it could be just another space sim.

#25 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 09 September 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

It was intended for the XBOX, it's not even a PC game. Why are you bringing it up?

Intended for XBOX? I'd like to see where you got that info.

I'm bringing it up due to the trailer looking good and that trailers are deceiving.

View PostSparks Murphey, on 09 September 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

They spent a long time trying to find a publisher for MechWarrior 5 as a single player experience, before IGP agreed to publish them if they made it an online MMO instead. Everything in the trailer was rendered in engine (Unreal rather than CryEngine, another change after signing on with IGP) - thus the "in game footage" indicating this wasn't produced on a cinematic render farm with effects you'd never see in game.

Returning to the topic at hand, it's got my interest, though I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy into it without more details. The "no NPCs" thing sounds interesting (I'm imagining the pseudo-NPC remnants being controlled by actions the players have previously undertaken) and an exploration of transhumanity (à la Eclipse Phase) is something this could offer that neither Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous promise. If either of those angles flatline, though, it could be just another space sim.

People say MechWarrior 5, but where was that ever coined in at? All the years I've been tracking it, it was MechWarrior, intended as a reboot, i.e. MechWarrior 1

#26 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

I just wanted to point this little nugget

~snickers~

1 million goal to fly, but then we need 1.5 to build a ship

~Snicker~

I guess we'll be flying stompy robots till then?

#27 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

E. Suspension/Termination.
By Piranha Games. PIRANHA GAMES RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND, TERMINATE, MODIFY OR DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU, AND WITH NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND TO YOU. Additionally, Piranha Games may stop offering and/or supporting the Game at any time. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most Account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violation of this Agreement, the EULA, and/or the Privacy Policy. Accounts terminated by Piranha Games shall not be reinstated under any conditions whatsoever.]

Er WTF mate?

#28 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 09 September 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

People say MechWarrior 5, but where was that ever coined in at? All the years I've been tracking it, it was MechWarrior, intended as a reboot, i.e. MechWarrior 1

That's true, Piranha only ever called it "MechWarrior", it was the gaming sites that started mislabelling it "MechWarrior 5" (for example, here: http://kotaku.com/53...o-legal-trouble)

#29 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 09 September 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Intended for XBOX? I'd like to see where you got that info.

I'm bringing it up due to the trailer looking good and that trailers are deceiving.

It was to take place in 3015, so in a way you are right. On the other hand, it's been coined at Mechwarrior 5 because it'd've been the 5th game in the series. Even if it is more of a reboot.

Anyway, it was pitched to publishers but nobody was interested because it'd never sell like Call of Duty. And yes, it was supposed to be for PC and consoles, IIRC. 100% sure about the latter, not 100% sure about the former.

Actually, I think part of the snag was that Microsoft didn't want it on Playstation (M$ owns the IP, remember? ) and thus no publisher thought they'd get the return on their money as an XBOX/PC exclusive...

#30 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

so instead of releasing a new game (possibly even a single player experience) we have a new MOLTIPYER SPESS GEAM in a market where we are over-saturated with MOLTIPYER SPESS GEAMS.

what I see undersaturated are low-fantasy Medieval MMO/singleplayer games like
http://1.bp.blogspot.../s1600/Nord.jpg

#31 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

They arent off to a fantastic start. When you start removing comments from Scott Manley, a guy who has almost 300k subscribers it sets a TERRIBLE precedence... All he said he was skeptical.

#32 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 09 September 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

[I'm creating this thread to hopefully get a healthy discussion out of it. MWO sourpuss please go elsewhere.]

That, plus a quick glance on the website, I...kind of like what I'm seeing.

First, a few things I discovered:

- They seem to have a better idea about what they're doing. The ships are already categorized into Science, Industrial and Combat categories, and they're offering quite a few options regarding player roles: miner, trader, PMC, scientist, spy, etc. (On the contrary, SC just recently released Constellation variants, so there's that.)

- The time is set at 2315, far earlier than most existing and upcoming space sims out there and even earlier than the current time of MWO. The designing of space stations and ships seem to reflect that - the space stations looks much more like something that can be produced even with existing technology, and the ships don't have magic force-shields.

- I'm under the impression that the Transverse universe is much smaller that, say Elite Dangerous universe. Makes sense.

- Not sure how much is purely animated but the ships are under Newtonian models. So that's nice.

- Looks like body augmentation is gonna be a huge part of player progression? "I never asked for this." (/jk. In fact I did ask for this. Cyberpunk is my jam.)

Now, the speculations:

- Well, in fact there's only one obvious question: How exactly can Transvers compete with Star Citizen, which had been hyped to supernova and beyond? And Elite: Dangerous? A space game cost a lot to develop and PGI is not exactly a large/wealthy studio. And it's not like this time you got a horde of hungry BattleTech fans with solid wallets to squeeze cash from.

- Assuming the game works out, and all the promised stuff - explorable universe, player driven economy, etc. - are brought on table *ahem ahem* ON TIME, does it mean PGI would eventually have the needed resources to build a full-blown BattleTech universe? Because BT universe, despite its age, is still one of the more mature sci-fi universe out there, and on that expectation alone I hope Transverse can be done.

The trailer feels somewhat like Babylon 5.
For that I will follow the project abit more.

#33 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostSaxie, on 09 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

They arent off to a fantastic start. When you start removing comments from Scott Manley, a guy who has almost 300k subscribers it sets a TERRIBLE precedence... All he said he was skeptical.

Considering the trolls are out in force, is it in any way surprising they might be trigger happy right now?

Sigh.

Well, I'm going to do whatever, now. I'll look at Transverse and see how it's going later.

Though I honestly think Bryan should've polished the site a lot more before the big reveal. And probably waited for CW to be out. But meh, done is done, for good or ill.

#34 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostScratx, on 09 September 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Considering the trolls are out in force, is it in any way surprising they might be trigger happy right now?

Sigh.

Well, I'm going to do whatever, now. I'll look at Transverse and see how it's going later.

Though I honestly think Bryan should've polished the site a lot more before the big reveal. And probably waited for CW to be out. But meh, done is done, for good or ill.

Its one thing to remove a quote from Roadbeer/Fish, but they have to know who that is.

#35 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostSaxie, on 09 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

he does nothave 300k followers.

oops nvm youtube yeah he does, never heard of him b4

Edited by Grrzoot, 09 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#36 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

regardless though, i think they would have been better off starting a completely different company to try to do a kickstarter crowdfund and not this. Starting here is going to be awkward, and probably not the best place to get a good footing.

I mean money was spent ont he website development etc etc etc. and for a project that maybe they are serious about, but honestly i think that just attaching it to tmwo at this point has a really poor idea.

#37 Hardin4188

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Look I'm ok with companies making other games, but I would like it if they finish their previous games first.

#38 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostHardin4188, on 09 September 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

Look I'm ok with companies making other games, but I would like it if they finish their previous games first.

Um, have you got any idea how games devs work?

#39 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostGrrzoot, on 09 September 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

he does nothave 300k followers.

oops nvm youtube yeah he does, never heard of him b4

If you're a fan of any space shooters/sims, this is the guy to look to. He also does some pretty nice physics things on the side in some episodes. Very intelligent guy.

#40 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 09 September 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Um, have you got any idea how games devs work?

They usually focus one game, lollygag/get delayed, have a crunch time, get it shipped, fire a bunch of staff in the interim while the next game is planned, then re-hire staff/contractors to start full development once they've gotten the OKAY from the publisher.

You can add in DLC development and other on-going support items as they fit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users