Information Warfare, Role Warfare, And The Future Of Ecm

Balance Gameplay Skills

24 replies to this topic

#1 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

Recently, Russ proposed that if the community is unhappy with the way that ECM is working, we should come up with a solution to the problem; if we can agree that one of the options is good enough, then we'll see a change. As it just so happens, I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a few months, and this was the impetus I needed to finally make a post about it. And as an additional disclaimer, the same one that Paul puts in his posts, all these numbers are placeholder, just what seems like it might work when theorycrafting. If you think my numbers or ideas are stupid, please please say something! The more discussion in the thread, the better!

The problem with ECM isn't just that it's too good; it's that it is the defining component of one of this game's four pillars, notably information warfare, and that as a gameplay mechanic, it provides very little depth the way it is currently structured. It's an on/off cloaking switch, and the only way it interacts with every other component of electronic warfare in this game is being something to turn off. How do ECM and TAG interact? TAG cancels ECM. Same with NARC, BAP, and PPCs. This limits the possible depth of electronic warfare in this game to, "Am I cloaked to radar?" This is a relatively fulfilling state of affairs, as we'd been hoping for extra sensors, the ability to designate targets for teammates, multi-targeting functions, and more. Instead we have small bubbles of radar cloaking, and nothing else.

This also ties into a bigger, underling problem- specifically that without ewar capabilities, lights are going to remain perpetually hampered. There is a dilemma- should lights be equal to heavies in combat capability? If no, then there's very little reason to take a light in the game as it exists now. If yes, then why do lights cost so much more, and how should they be made equal to mechs with much more armor and weaponry? Either answer is problematic. The solution is to give lights and mediums a way to be useful without making them direct monsters in combat. If information warfare is fixed, role warfare will follow.

The first thing that needs to be done to address these issues is to make ECM actually function like a countermeasure, which is what it is supposed to be. Right now, ECM serves primarily an offensive function- it hides targets on radar, allowing them to fire without being detected in time for return fire, and allows lances to push in partial cover (i.e. treelines) without being detected. BAP functions as a defensive piece of equipment, and is mostly used to counter ECM when in range, and increase the distance at which enemy pushes can be spotted. This is backwards- BAP should provide a bonus that is countered by ECM, rather than the other way around!

As such, BAP is the first thing on the table for an overhaul; it needs to be something worth taking on its own merits for people who are scouting, rather than a tool for Warhawks and Stalkers to get slightly faster lock times. A good place to start is to look to the lore- BAP should allow limited targeting through terrain and obstacles. Give BAP a 250m radius of detection through obstacles and let the user target mechs within that radius without line of sight- but let the targets show up as unknown hostiles. This makes BAP ideal for people who are keen to scout enemy positions, but discourages taking it on every single mech, as it provides no information on what kinds of enemies you will encounter, what components are damaged, etc. If you think this sounds like a powerful ability, you're right- but it's not much more powerful than the already-existing seismic sensor, which does the same thing but for no tonnage cost or crit slots, unlike BAP. The one advantage that BAP has is allowing the mech scouting to share this intel with the team.

BAP should also allow for the targeting of multiple mechs at the same time; three sounds reasonable, but the number is definitely something up for debate, and is subject to the skill overhaul that this post covers later. It would function much the same way as the through-object targeting, where all targets beyond the first have their location marked for the spotter's allies, but no mech info is shared, and all non-primary targets show up as unknown, and LRMs targeting such non-primary targets would take an accuracy/tracking penalty. Secondary, tertiary, etc targets would be automatically added every time the spotter targets a new mech, meaning that the r key targets mechs as normal, and every time the target is switched the old primary target becomes the secondary, etc. All other normal targeting rules apply, i.e. when line of sight is lost, targets become unavailable after a short delay. Allowing mechs to target multiple hostiles is critical for teamwork in a game with limited communication functions like MWO; it lets a single spotter provide information on the movement a large group of enemies without having to be on TeamSpeak. This also adds incentives for enemies to run ECM and stay with an ewar mech.

Similarly, TAG and NARC need tweaking- they should both be pieces of equipment that provide bonuses to information gathering, rather than yet more ways to counter ECM. Both are relatively useful in their current state, and should continue to provide missile tracking strength buffs. But they also deserve to have a non-missile use, so that scout/ewar mechs equipped with them do not have dead tonnage should their teammates not have LRMs equipped. As such, make NARCed mechs instantly broadcast their health data, and TAGged mechs have their data gathered 50% faster. Depending on balance needs, TAG could be made invisible in normal vision modes, and glow brightly in thermal, as it is supposed to be an infrared beam.

Because of how powerful this makes BAP, TAG, and NARC, now we actually have somethings that need a countermeasures- this is where ECM steps in. ECM now shields units from being detected by BAP's non-LOS targeting, and nullifies the missile tracking strength buff given by TAG and NARC. It continues to provide decreased visibility to normal sensors as it does now- but units shielded by ECM should be visible on unaugmented sensors at 5-600m, which provides teams being pushed by ECM lances enough time to engage with missiles for a limited window before the enemy closes distance, yet still provides a distinct advantage to a defending team being bombarded by LRMs. Furthermore, the ECM-LRM interaction needs to change- ECM being a hard counter to LRMs by making locks impossible or making locks so difficult to obtain it might as well be impossible makes for unfun gameplay for LRM users, and means that LRMs need to be balanced such that they are very strong against unshielded teams because of the risk when engaging against an ECM-shielded team. Therefore, remove the LRM-lock penalty provided by ECM, and instead give LRMs a tracking strength penalty when targeting ECM-covered mechs.

The command console is finally also not useless, but it doesn't give nearly as much benefit as the clan targeting computers, for significantly more weight. I propose to give it utility by restricting airstrikes and artillery to mechs with command consoles; additional functionality could include calling down airstrikes from the battlegrid on a command console mech, and allowing a mech that both has lance command and a command console to designate targets with a star on their lance's IFF to coordinate fire.

There are still a few pieces of equiment left to cover, but I'll get to those. For the most part, that covers the basics of ewar, and if nothing but the above were to be implemented, it'd be a good start. Things really get interesting when you consider the ramifications for role warfare that having a viable scouting role would give- meaning, an overhaul to the pilot tree would do a world of good to compliment the electronics overhaul.

To kick things off, the pilot tree needs to be, well, a tree. What we have now is linear- it offers no choice, every skill is always eventually unlocked, there's no differentiation. Instead, a tree-structure should have, well, branches, different paths that diverge and let the pilot specialize in specific aspects of combat on a per-chassis basis, rather than every mech getting all the same skills.

The three groups I propose are Recon, Movement and Combat- it will be possible to go into more than one tree, but only one can attain master rank. Why these three? Because combined, they cover almost every possible archetype of mech that exists in MWO, and in a game with as rich of customization as MWO, flexibility is important.

Take the light class, for example. A Locust, with few weapons but excellent speed, would benefit immensely from having movement and recon abilities. A Raven might want offense for its large laser combined with recon. A Jenner might go for movement and combat. And these skill archetypes go all the way up the tree- a Victor would probably take movemement and combat buffs, while an D-DC would go for ewar and firepower boosts.

An overhauled skill tree might look like this:

Posted Image
(the XP and individual skill names are all placeholder p.s. sorry for the sloppiness!)

Every mech gets 20 skill points to distribute as they see fit. Unlocking six of the eight basic skills in any given level opens up the elite skills; getting three of the four elite skills unlocks mastery. This way, each mech can unlock the master-level skills for two classes, but only by going through a minial route for each, as well as locking out the third skill tree entirely; or else, the mech could specialize very deeply in one skill tree and unlock everything, while still having enough to get the basics in one other three, or match a little of both.

The skill tree I want to focus the most on is the recon tree, because it is the only one that does not have a precedent in MWO, but I will give some ideas for the others; once again, all my numbers and skill ideas are not set in stone, so give me your good ideas in the comments!

Recon, Basic:
1 Sensor range increase +75m
2 Can target 1 additional enemy (see BAP section above for mechanics)
3 TAG laser appears only in thermal vision
4 BAP though-object range +50m
5 Ability to call down 1 artillery/airstrike without a command console
6 All enemies targeted by you get a 10% missile lock speed boost
7 Allies within 100m gather target info 10% faster
8 ECM sensor denial range +25m

Recon, elite:
1 Command consoles can be used to call in artillery barrages using the battlegrid overlay
2 BAP gives mech info for one sub-target instead of just listing Unknown
3 ECM can create one fake IFF signature
4 Mech gains an additional consumable slot that can only be used for UAVs; 50% discount on UAVs for auto-refilling on this chassis

Recon, master:
1 Mech gains three additional module slots
2 Double all basic skills

These combinations of skills should provide an incentive to specialize in information warfare while also giving enough flexibility that not all skills are necessary (i.e. mechs with no energy slot can skip the TAG skill). Again, these ideas are just what's bouncing around inside my skull; if you can think of better ones, by all means post them, and I might add them to this post! And for those wondering, yes, the doubling of basic skills would no longer be automatic under this system, it becomes a master skill unlock for each tree. The idea is to create an actual difficult choice for the player between fully unlocking one tree with either an excellent skill or doubled basics while also mastering another tree, or letting a player fully specialize but locking out another tree's master skill tier.

The movement skill tree functions much like most of our current skills, and focuses on providing turning radius, and speed boosts, but also covers jumpjets and armor boosts now; the armor is split off the combat tree to make that one less of an easy decision. A possible consumable for a jumpjet fuel boost that works similarly to how coolshot currently works would add additional utility.

Combat is the damage-specialization tree. It encompasses the current coolrun/heat containment skills, as well as allowing the pilot to specialize in beam, ballistic, or missile weapons. It also gives combat targeting bonuses, including faster info gathering, and hopefully a magnetometer, which would act similarly to thermal vision but include short-range through wall visibility, but severely hampering the pilot's ability to see. The combat tree's consumable focus would work on making coolshots more cost-effective.

Because customization is a fact of life in MWO, this would also mean that skill trees would have to be refundable for a nominal c-bill fee.

The tl;dr? Information warfare needs a huge overhaul, and overhauling IW would be a huge step towards giving MWO real role warfare; overhauling both IW and the skill tree would add immensely to the game's depth.

Again, I'd love to hear what you think! Like it, hate it, think it has some decent ideas but needs work? Tell me! The best way to make a good ewar system will include feedback from the whole community.

#2 Filter41

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

Agreed! And thx for that elaborated proposal!

Where do i have to subscribe?

And when the poll is going to start?

#3 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

Maybe for information warfare people wouldn't automatically see red triangles above a mechs head and would require a scout to get a lock on a mech and then that mechs information and location is revealed to his lance? That as camo might be useful, could benefit lights who want do do something other then cap.

#4 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostFilter41, on 17 September 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Agreed! And thx for that elaborated proposal!

Where do i have to subscribe?

And when the poll is going to start?

Haha, many thanks. I don't think this has quite enough momentum for a poll, though. :P

#5 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

What we need is a place to collect all these ideas by subject (say ECM or 10v12) and then debate them. Once a clear winner comes up, we submit it to PGI for consideration.

#6 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

ECM arguments are just like lrm arguments. Pointless. Why?

Simple there are contributing factors that negate them. ECM is negated by tag, narc, BAP at close range, and other ECM units. In lore, as in story book lore it cuts down long range locks on them, at close range it forces multiple fake signatures.

Now I ask would you rather have it as is or story book lore? As for Table top it can go screw itself because this isn't table top :P

#7 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Being able to select multiple targets might be an interesting feature of c3, but it might be difficult to put in the game. Would each target have a different key to press to select and cycle through them to manage which targets you want? Would there be 3 paper dolls? One of those ideas that seems really cool in theory, not sure how well actually executed.

#8 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostDocBach, on 17 September 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Being able to select multiple targets might be an interesting feature of c3, but it might be difficult to put in the game. Would each target have a different key to press to select and cycle through them to manage which targets you want? Would there be 3 paper dolls? One of those ideas that seems really cool in theory, not sure how well actually executed.

My thought was that the key binding setup would remain the same as it is now, but every time you hit r, the main target (which is just the same as normal targeting works) becomes a secondary target; hit r again, the secondary becomes a tertiary, the current primary becomes a secondary, and a new primary is chosen.

I get that this would cause issues with LRM targeting, but I don't think it would be any worse than it is now. I'm also okay with it being slightly inconvenient; the main reason I'd like to see multi-targeting would be for exposing enemy positions. Right now, if you're a scout and you find the enemy making a push in a weird spot at the start of the game, you can target just one person; your allies probably assume it's just one lone mech wandering off, and ignore it. Multi-targeting lets you show that there's a lance or more pushing a certain direction, and when four targets pop up on your allies' HUD, they take note.

With that in mind, I am fine with having non-primary targets not have paperdoll information shared with teammates at all. The purpose is to expose positions, rather than giving omniscient intel. That's what the UAV is for.

#9 Chou Senwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

I like this outlay of ideas. The only problem I foresee is that you would either need to code all the changes and roll them out at once (which would take a while), or you'd fix things one by one, leading to rolling issues of option A being broken, then option B, then C.

The former mode looks like nothing's happening, and pisses people off. The latter looks like PGI is breaking stuff, and pisses people off. Still, I do like your ideas a lot (and I'd go for the latter version).

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostChou Senwan, on 19 September 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

I like this outlay of ideas. The only problem I foresee is that you would either need to code all the changes and roll them out at once (which would take a while), or you'd fix things one by one, leading to rolling issues of option A being broken, then option B, then C.

The former mode looks like nothing's happening, and pisses people off. The latter looks like PGI is breaking stuff, and pisses people off. Still, I do like your ideas a lot (and I'd go for the latter version).

Yep, that would absolutely be a problem. Might be avoidable somewhat by splitting the rollout into two parts- the first half is just the changes to ECM, BAP, NARC, and TAG, and the second half is the skill tree overhaul. Not sure which would be more work from a technical standpoint, but from a balance standpoint the skill tree system would be a lot of work to make sure nothing was way out of line before launch.

#11 ski2060

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Great idea. I love the idea of having to make choices for your pilot for skills amongst the 3 models for a chassis. Plus 1 !

#12 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

No more nerfs! No more changes. Learn how to play and stop crying for weaker equipment.

#13 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Id like to see both mech progression trees AND pilot skill trees.

Essentially the mech progression trees would be the same as they are now, except each weight class would have their own progression tree. It would be a simple progression unlock with no real choices made on the player's part.

But then there would also be three different pilot skill trees, each with two seperate branches (command/support, recon/pursuit, and assault/strike). At max pilot level, youd only get enough points to master one full tree and maybe part of another. But youd be allowed to reassign your skill points for free any time between matches.

The reason why I think we need both is to help equalize the weight classes better. Having a progression tree for each weight class would allow individual balancing of each weight class by increasing or decreasing the bonuses their progression trees give.

And then having a pilot skill tree that forces players to choose a specific role would be so no one player can do everything. You would always have to depend on other players to perform the roles you cant. And that should be the basis of role warfare.

Edited by Khobai, 26 September 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#14 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostKhobai, on 26 September 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Id like to see both mech progression trees AND pilot skill trees.

Essentially the mech progression trees would be the same as they are now, except each weight class would have their own progression tree. It would be a simple progression unlock with no real choices made on the player's part.

But then there would also be three different pilot skill trees, each with two seperate branches (command/support, recon/pursuit, and assault/strike). At max pilot level, youd only get enough points to master one full tree and maybe part of another. But youd be allowed to reassign your skill points for free any time between matches.

The reason why I think we need both is to help equalize the weight classes better. Having a progression tree for each weight class would allow individual balancing of each weight class by increasing or decreasing the bonuses their progression trees give.

And then having a pilot skill tree that forces players to choose a specific role would be so no one player can do everything. You would always have to depend on other players to perform the roles you cant. And that should be the basis of role warfare.

I do like your idea, and think that giving each weight class its own progression system would be a great tool to smooth out some of the weight class issues this game has. The only thing that worries me is that it might not fit some mechs well; for example, heavies as a class tend to be regarded as the best mechs in the game, so they would probably get relatively weak progression; but the lower end of the weight class has some mechs that need more help than the best lights and mediums. It's especially problematic to them since the only way to even try and make a Dragon or Quickdraw work is to rely on their high mobility, but the heavy progression system would be geared towards more successful heavies like the Jager and Cataphract.

I completely agree that the pilot tree should have players picking a role to have areas where each mech is both weak and strong, as this is a great way to not only reinforce teamplay, but also promote a wide variety of mechs on the field, and giving clever opponents a chance to strike where a team is weak.

View Postgeodeath, on 26 September 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

No more nerfs! No more changes. Learn how to play and stop crying for weaker equipment.

I'm not really calling for nerfs here; in fact, I feel that the skill tree overhaul and BAP changes would constitute a pretty significant buff, and even better, it's one that wouldn't substantially decrease time-to-kill.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

If you want BAP to "multi-target" (think UAV), perhaps you want to use a radius of which it can multitarget? It wouldn't be large, but it would probably have to be the same radius as the current form of ECM (180m) and it would auto-target stuff that is within your LOS. You would still do regular targeting with R to select the target you want info from, but it would share the info to all teammates until you lose LOS of the targets in question.. and it would make something like Target Info Gathering more useful (BAP already has this of course, but the stacking effect would be significant at that point).

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 September 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

If you want BAP to "multi-target" (think UAV), perhaps you want to use a radius of which it can multitarget? It wouldn't be large, but it would probably have to be the same radius as the current form of ECM (180m) and it would auto-target stuff that is within your LOS. You would still do regular targeting with R to select the target you want info from, but it would share the info to all teammates until you lose LOS of the targets in question.. and it would make something like Target Info Gathering more useful (BAP already has this of course, but the stacking effect would be significant at that point).

Having it auto target wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm not so sure about the radius. It'd work fine on some of the smaller maps like River or Forest, providing the enemy was near cover, but it'd be borderline useless on Tourmaline, Alpine, Terra Therma, and the larger maps. I don't think you even really need to provide any paperdoll info or perhaps even chassis/variant info for it to be useful.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

View Postaniviron, on 28 September 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Having it auto target wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm not so sure about the radius. It'd work fine on some of the smaller maps like River or Forest, providing the enemy was near cover, but it'd be borderline useless on Tourmaline, Alpine, Terra Therma, and the larger maps. I don't think you even really need to provide any paperdoll info or perhaps even chassis/variant info for it to be useful.

My only fear is how encompassing the radius is. If you can combine my basic BAP idea with something with 360 Target Retention (research what it does first), then it would be wicked powerful (and suddenly that module isn't totally useless).

#18 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Aniviron,

View Postaniviron, on 12 September 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

-snip-

First off, your observation of ecm's role as a central part of role warfare's 4th pillar is pretty spot on. It is diffidently the most visible aspect of information warfare. I disagree with your assessment of the complexity. Although ecm and it's interaction are of the yes/no type, the complexity comes into play in regards to the ranges at which they interact.

Imho, if the significance of the ranges were modified, this more complex interaction could more easily be witnessed by players. Prime example, the band in which a non-ecm. non-bap mech can target an ecm mech is only 60meters(?). This is a very small window and in the heat of combat I believe an average pilot will not take much notice of it.

If this distance was increased, either/or for every mech and/or bap equipped mech, to something more readily observable, the over poweredness of ECM would be reduced while still maintaining that added layer of challenge to maintain your target at a desirable range.

As for your other ideas. They are well thought out, but are a complex overhaul. Putting forth those ideas would be beyond the scope of something I wish for this game to endure.

Edited by Dracol, 28 September 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#19 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 September 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

My only fear is how encompassing the radius is. If you can combine my basic BAP idea with something with 360 Target Retention (research what it does first), then it would be wicked powerful (and suddenly that module isn't totally useless).

Yeah, that makes sense. If you limit the radius to ~180m though, how many spots are there where you could just sorta hang out as a light within 180m or 3+ enemies without dying in seconds?

If the multi-target extends to the normal maximum distance, I don't really have a problem with that, even with 360 target retention. The only caveat is that it would be a problem for the BAP-assisted through object targeting maybe, but that's also limited to relatively short distances as is. I'm not sure if I have an issue with it being powerful- you do need something pretty useful to compete when you consider that going for e-war means giving up firepower and maneuverability.

View PostDracol, on 28 September 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Aniviron,

First off, your observation of ecm's role as a central part of role warfare's 4th pillar is pretty spot on. It is diffidently the most visible aspect of information warfare. I disagree with your assessment of the complexity. Although ecm and it's interaction are of the yes/no type, the complexity comes into play in regards to the ranges at which they interact.

Imho, if the significance of the ranges were modified, this more complex interaction could more easily be witnessed by players. Prime example, the band in which a non-ecm. non-bap mech can target an ecm mech is only 60meters(?). This is a very small window and in the heat of combat I believe an average pilot will not take much notice of it.

If this distance was increased, either/or for every mech and/or bap equipped mech, to something more readily observable, the over poweredness of ECM would be reduced while still maintaining that added layer of challenge to maintain your target at a desirable range.

As for your other ideas. They are well thought out, but are a complex overhaul. Putting forth those ideas would be beyond the scope of something I wish for this game to endure.

The exact range changes based on whether you have the target distance module as well, but yeah, that's about right. I do tend to ride that line, I run a KFX-D with LRMS and without BAP or ECM, which means needing to be in that very narrow band more often than I'd like. :P That said, I'm used to running non-LRM builds, and for anyone else who also isn't using locking weapons, which is most players, that narrow band where you are close enough to detect ECM mechs but not so close that your equipment is jammed is mostly irrelevant- it's annoying, but doesn't interfere with the pilot's ability to shoot. I'm not sure if increasing the distance at which mechs can be detected by ECM is going to add that much complexity for anyone not using LRMs or SSRMs.

I suppose it's fair to not want the game to have much of an overhaul at this point, it has been out for a year now; I'm curious as to why you're against changing the systems though? Is it just that you're comfortable with what's in place now, or you think it would take too much work/effort to implement when PGI could be working on other things?

#20 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

View Postaniviron, on 28 September 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

The exact range changes based on whether you have the target distance module as well, but yeah, that's about right. I do tend to ride that line, I run a KFX-D with LRMS and without BAP or ECM, which means needing to be in that very narrow band more often than I'd like. :P That said, I'm used to running non-LRM builds, and for anyone else who also isn't using locking weapons, which is most players, that narrow band where you are close enough to detect ECM mechs but not so close that your equipment is jammed is mostly irrelevant- it's annoying, but doesn't interfere with the pilot's ability to shoot. I'm not sure if increasing the distance at which mechs can be detected by ECM is going to add that much complexity for anyone not using LRMs or SSRMs.

I suppose it's fair to not want the game to have much of an overhaul at this point, it has been out for a year now; I'm curious as to why you're against changing the systems though? Is it just that you're comfortable with what's in place now, or you think it would take too much work/effort to implement when PGI could be working on other things?

The main advantage for non-ECM, non-locking based mechs to be able to detect ECM mechs is to target flankers and surprise attacks in order to alert teammates not on comms to an enemy presence. That very small widow to target and notify your allies is very small and easily missed. Spreading out the range would give a little bit more time to target, helping alleviate the problem of ECM cloaked flanks rolling up an entire team.

It would also benefit direct fire mechs by giving them a bigger window to gain target info and identifying weak spots.

In regards to a big change, I personally like MW:O's LOS sensor based system better than any prior ones. I do not believe it requires a complete overhaul, just some tweaks to give it a little more diversity. Also, it is a common theme among the forums to advocate for smaller tweaks over a period of time versus one large sweeping change. If I am not mistaken, your system would not lend itself to an incremental change.

Edited by Dracol, 28 September 2014 - 03:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users