24 replies to this topic

#1 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Now, I see several older threads about this, but there have been some changes in the game since most of them. Also, it is discussed in a more current thread, but more as a related but off topic discussion.

I also see lots of ppl having theories here, but do anyone know for sure? If a Dev could answer, that would be great.

So, to keep it short.

What happens to CB and XP for assist, salvage etc. when you leave a match after you die?

Long.

This is rather important. Say you go point and plomits into the enemy. You down 1, and damages 8 before you die. At that time, there is still 10 minutes left of the match, and both teams go into defencive mode, before your team finally wins 1 minute before end time.

If you sat trough those 9 minutes, you would get assists (CB and XP) for those 8 mechs you damaged. But, watching other players is not your thing, so you quit instead. What happens then?

Some people say you will only keep what you have earned so far during the match. You wil not be rawarded for assists for mechs that are destroyed after you quit, and so on.

Other people say this is true, but only if you leave before you die. If you leave after you die, or perhaps also if the match ends in less than two minuts after you quit, you will be rewarded in full. Like you would be if you watched the match to the end in spectator mode.

Witch statement is true...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:Just comunicated with Nikolai Lubkiewicz at PGI, and he tells me Demax51s post five posts down is pretty much right. Nikolay claims this is to prevent people from harvesting CB.

So then we know the answer. But do this really prevent harvesting? I do not think so. In my opinion this only prevent people from earning the CB they deserve, either in the ongoing match, or the next they could have played.

PGI should have different rules for people disconecting before and after death. If you die, you should also be revarded fully for your efforts. If you disco before death, you should not be revarded for the things happening afterwards.

What do you think, could this really be exploited if PGI fixed it?

Edited by Serpentbane, 28 October 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#2 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you get what is due to you when the battle ends regardless of if you are connected or not.

What would be nice is to have battle reports available after the battle that appear in the UI so you can see what you have gained from a battle you exited prematurely.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

You get what is due when you dc with two exceptions. If you dc BEFORE you die and don't reconnect within two minutes, you get nothing. The other is if you kill yourself by running OOB.

Edited by Spike Brave, 14 September 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#4 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

cite your sources pls

#5 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

if you DC and reconnect after 2 minutes you still get cbills but not XP. had this happen to me on friday. It even brings up a nice box at the end telling you this.

best bet is always to just stick it out till the end and if you DC and can't get back in with in 2 minutes then forget about it.

Edited by Bigbacon, 14 September 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'm not going to look through for sources, sorry, but this is what I know:

1. If you die, and disconnect, you'll be given all of the C-bills and XP you were due at the time of your disconnect, but you will not receive any rewards for actions that occur after you die.
Example: You get a kill and two assists, and damage two other 'Mechs, and then you die. If you disco, you'll get the rewards for the kill and the two assists, but if the two other 'Mechs you damaged are killed AFTER you've disco'd, you won't get credited with an assist for them. (On the flip side of this, if you die and then spectate the rest of the match, you WOULD get those two extra assists)

2. If you disco BEFORE you die, and do not reconnect, you'll be given rewards for everything that happened up until you disco'd, but nothing after.
Example: You kill a 'Mech, and then disco for some reason, and do not log back in: You'll get rewards for your one kill, but no other rewards (no Win or Loss bonus, and no assists for 'Mechs that died after you disco'd).

2A. If you disco BEFORE you die, and you DO reconnect within 2 minutes: you'll be given all rewards, for everything in which you took part. You lose nothing.

2B. If you disco BEFORE you die, and you reconnect, but after 2 minutes: you'll be given no rewards for your actions before you disco'd but you can still earn rewards for everything in you do in the remainder of the game, after you've reconnected.

Again, sorry for no sources, but I'm about 95% sure this is how it works.

#7 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

Just wanted to throw out there that this is rather easy to test for yourself. You only need one friend. Get in your smallest fastest 'Mech, load it out with as many lasers as you can comfortably fit on it, put them on chain fire, and run straight into the enemy pack at the very start of the game. Hit as many 'Mechs as you can before you get destroyed, and make sure to keep count of how many you hit(each one is an assist). Try to get yourself taken out before any enemies get destroyed. Promptly disconnect from the game after your destruction, and then wait for your team mate to finish the game. Take note of your current CBill balance before the end of the game. Take note of how many assists your team mate says you got according to the score card at the end of the match, and compare that to how much you earned in CBills.

I can tell you for certain that at one time(I haven't tested it recently), you DID get CBill rewards for assists earned *after* your destruction, even if you promptly disconnect. So #1 above was incorrect last time I checked.

#8 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

whether you get points or not, please stay and watch the battle new players. best teaching aid in the game is watching someone else play

#9 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostSpike Brave, on 14 September 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

You get what is due when you dc with two exceptions. If you dc BEFORE you die and don't reconnect within two minutes, you get nothing. The other is if you kill yourself by running OOB.

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 14 September 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

cite your sources pls

Ursus, no need for him to cite sources, you can try it out and prove or disprove it. Simple.

#10 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Post7ynx, on 16 September 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ursus, no need for him to cite sources, you can try it out and prove or disprove it. Simple.

I did not address my comment to Spike and I apologize if it sounded that way. I was speaking in general.

And "tested it myself" is very much a valid source

#11 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

I would very much like a 100% answer on this and interested in any test results you guys have. Even better, have a dev confirm one way or other.

It would seem odd to me that your mech should remain locked in the game after death and yet not benefit from assists as a result of later kills. IMO, I'd also consider it less fair, since the same battle performance can end up with 2 different sets of rewards, simply for leaving your computer running.

I have noticed that the assists on the report card at death are different from the number on the end of game results, but had assumed it was simply because MWO can't predict the future rather than attempting to indicate reward.

As much as I appreciate what can be learned from spectating, cBill farming is an important thing too. Generally speaking, on balance, I would consider it to be a waste of premium time to spend time spectating rather than participating in a new game. But if we can be certain that you only benefit from subsequent assist if you stay to end of game, then it's a tougher decision.

#12 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

What I was always told was that you still get cbills and xp for assists that happened after you died if you DC immediately. There's no difference in rewards based on whether you stayed and watched the rest of the game or not.

I didn't rigorously test this myself, but the x2 going away tells you whether your team won or not, and in games where I died early before anyone else was killed but my team eventually won, I get a lot of cbills, consistent with everyone I'd damaged counting as an assist and getting the salvage bonus and all of that.

#13 Kay Oss

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

This was my answer from Nikolai
----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
Nikolai Lubkiewicz (Piranha Games)
Sep 22 14:01
Hi there keith!

If you stay in the match and don't quit for longer than 2 minutes, you should receive your full rewards. If you reconnect to a match within 2 minutes, you should still get all the rewards. Unfortunately, we are not giving additional rewards to those who quit out early to jump into another match, as this behaviour had, in the past, enabled and often been abused by farm-bots. We hope you understand!

Nikolai Lubkiewicz
Community Manager
Piranha Games

----------------------------------------------------------

In reading this, I am still not sure because he used the word "additional"

Edited by Kay Oss, 22 September 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#14 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think he means you get all the rewards you earned up until the point you left, but nothing more

#15 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 22 September 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

I think he means you get all the rewards you earned up until the point you left, but nothing more

But that leaves us exactly where we were before: Speculation.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

It's a pain because the sources are pretty isolated.

If you D/C before you die, you only get the match rewards (25,000) OR if you die almost instantly [intentional suicide]. This was up until recently with the reconnect feature. You have 2 minutes to reconnect or you will lose ALL rewards. This includes if you died while disconnected.

Once dead, assuming you had some sort of combat worthy interaction, you get what you earned up until that point + the end match reward. You are not awarded assists on mechs that die after the fact, for the reason stated: "The game cannot attribute assists on mechs that you shot at if you're no longer there, because the reward is given to 'StringReturn[NoPilot]'." In other words no one gets it. Assists are the only rewards that you must stay to get, and you only need to stay until said mech(s) die(s).

If you shot everyone and want every reward, gotta wait it out. If you only shot one dude that's gonna die soon, wait until he dies and then leave with your full rewards.

#17 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 September 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

It's a pain because the sources are pretty isolated.

If you D/C before you die, you only get the match rewards (25,000) OR if you die almost instantly [intentional suicide]. This was up until recently with the reconnect feature. You have 2 minutes to reconnect or you will lose ALL rewards. This includes if you died while disconnected.

Once dead, assuming you had some sort of combat worthy interaction, you get what you earned up until that point + the end match reward. You are not awarded assists on mechs that die after the fact, for the reason stated: "The game cannot attribute assists on mechs that you shot at if you're no longer there, because the reward is given to 'StringReturn[NoPilot]'." In other words no one gets it. Assists are the only rewards that you must stay to get, and you only need to stay until said mech(s) die(s).

If you shot everyone and want every reward, gotta wait it out. If you only shot one dude that's gonna die soon, wait until he dies and then leave with your full rewards.

More reasons to preserve ones own mech, ie. using every known trick to stay alive, range, movement, cover, torso twisting, thou shalt go down easy. Never give the enemy easy kills, make them earn their c-bills ;)

#18 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

As a side note had this happen to me the other day, game dropped me and wouldn't let me back in trying to do my daily double. Finally got back in and rejoined battle but was well after 2 minutes.

If you DC for longer then 2 minutes you don't get XP, BUT if team does win doesn't also cost you your 2x for the day.

#19 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

That doesn't make any sense -- you don't get replaced by 'StringReturn[NoPilot]' when you leave after you die, because you're still in the match and able to reconnect.

I also got the 10 assist achievement in a match where I damaged 10 mechs none of which died before I disconnected, so the game is able to track assists after you leave. The only reason it wouldn't is if they deliberately decided to deny the rewards.

#20 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

Just comunicated with Nikolai Lubkiewicz at PGI, and he tells med Demax51s post is pretty much right.

In short, we do have to waste alot of time watching ppl hiding to get full score for those 11 assists etc.
This is to prevent ppl from harvesting, or so he says.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users