Mw 3 Bar Style Damage Readout

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Bar vs. Portrait damage huds. (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer an option for bar-based damage readouts instead of portrait-based?

1. Sure! I think they'd be clearer. (1 votes [1.16%])

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

2. Yes, I would like the option to choose. (65 votes [75.58%])

Percentage of vote: 75.58%

3. Indifferent. (5 votes [5.81%])

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

4. No, I think the portrait based system is easier to read. (7 votes [8.14%])

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

5. No, I think the portrait based system is more immersive. (8 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lunoe

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

I've been playing MWO for quite a while now, and for the most part I've been satisfied with the execution, be it aesthetic, gameplay, or otherwise. However, there is one feature that has driven me to frustration time and again, and that is the damage readouts.

The default mech-representation damage readout is fine for starting out, and provides a quick reference for where you're getting hit, sure. But the problem is that the colors are incredibly vague about just how much damage you're taking, which is an especially large problem with Assaults. If I step into enemy fire, I need to know how quickly I'm taking damage, and how much. Is that yellow outline telling me I just got my paint scratched? Or did I just lose a quarter of my armor in one salvo?

It used to be in earlier mechwarrior games that you could toggle between layout-oriented damage readouts, and bar-oriented damage readouts. I propose that MWO would benefit from a similar feature, giving the oppertunity for clearer feedback on just how much damage you're taking in a fight.

Posted Image

See how clear that is? Left arm gone, left front torso armor stripped. center torso doing fine. Under the yellow/orange/red system, all this would be far less obvious, at least to me.

In any event, since the game has to track these values regardless, and bar graphs are fairly modest in terms of artistic investment, I think it's a small tweak that could benefit gameplay greatly.

#2 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

While that may be more clear for you, I find that layout a bit confusing at first glance. I can only guess that it would confuse other people as well, but it could make a nice additional option.

#3 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

I liked having the option of switching to the bar style and it would be great if they can bring it back.

#4 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

View PostDraykin, on 24 September 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

While that may be more clear for you, I find that layout a bit confusing at first glance. I can only guess that it would confuse other people as well, but it could make a nice additional option.

it takes a bit to get used to but in the end once you understand it, you will never want to use anything else. At a quick glance you see exactly what is wrong with your `Mech with no guessing involved.

#5 beartraps

• PipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 56 posts
  • LocationLexington,Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

Good Ides although they need to make some other markers and designations as well

#6 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

This would look great on one of the many unused displays in the cockpit. Allow a key to focus on it for those that want the data.

#7 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

I'd much rather the lines of armor get thinner on the doll. Much easier to understand. The colors are indeed hard to tell though.

#8 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

There have been many posts from users who want the HTAL style mech readout for their targets. I believe it was even in a feature suggestion poll started by the Devs. Maybe it'll happen sometime, but I bet it's on the backburner until CW comes out (until the new year)

#9 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

I would love this too

#10 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I would like the ability to choose between bars, the general-body diagram, AND the live front viewof my Mech. I know it wouldn't be immerse enough like the 3rd person view camera they already have in-game. BUT; it's a game. Maybe you could just see the unedited oblique lines of our mechs simulating our movement. LIKE MW2. Simply when you get hit, the more detailed 3D-blueprint-like oblique lines of our mechs would be highlighted red rather than blue, or white. Whatever the devs finds appealing. That specific 3D-mech damage display would be great. You could figure out even whether you can pivot damage away from your ct with this display.

#11 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

PGI,
Give me back my HTAL!!

Please! :lol:

#12 NullZeal

• Pip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

It should be like hmm... MWLL "cough" "cough"

#13 LuInRei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts
  • Location渦巻き中

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

I'd prefer color-coded integer numeric values instead of bars, even.
But, alas, unless PGI would allow modding
and some kind soul would make such a mod,
we are stuck with "pretty colours".

#14 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'd like both at once :D

I always used the HTAL bars because they give you a much more clear picture of how much armor/internals health is remaining than "I think its kinda orange, i took .. maybe some damage?"

#15 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

MW3 did so many things right. Yes, I want that option

#16 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Options are always nice to have.

I'd like to see numbers, and have the numbers change as damage is delivered...
At least the read out for my mech.

ie
H 18
CT F 50
CT R xx
etc

#17 wamX

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

I liked the damage readouts from MW4/MW4Mercs and I especially liked the bars. Too often in game the armor will read dark red so I try to run out of the fight, but then I take two AC/5's to that very spot and it still sits at "red" and barely changes. Something like this definitely needs to be worked on/added.

#18 LiquidDivide

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'd almost prefer something more like this:

Posted Image

Don't be too critical. I just did a quick image search and spent all of 10 seconds editing it. First, this image shows the targeted mech rather than the pilot's mech. I believe this level of detail should only be provided for your own mech, not the target mech. I like the current vague information about target mechs.

I only modified the arms in the image, but you get the Idea. As you take damage, the border or fill rises from the bottom up, showing the percentage of damage taken. So, in this image, the Right arm has lost about 30% of its armor while the left has lost closer to 70%

This way, you get the detailed information you want, but the readout still looks pretty and you don't lose that immersion. The color can still change as the bar fills up too, giving you a quick and accurate picture of your mech's state. I think this is the best of both worlds.

Edited by LiquidDivide, 17 October 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#19 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostLiquidDivide, on 17 October 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'd almost prefer something more like this:

Posted Image

Don't be too critical. I just did a quick image search and spent all of 10 seconds editing it. First, this image shows the targeted mech rather than the pilot's mech. I believe this level of detail should only be provided for your own mech, not the target mech. I like the current vague information about target mechs.

I only modified the arms in the image, but you get the Idea. As you take damage, the border or fill rises from the bottom up, showing the percentage of damage taken. So, in this image, the Right arm has lost about 30% of its armor while the left has lost closer to 70%
u
This way, you get the detailed information you want, but the readout still looks pretty and you don't lose that immersion. The color can still change as the bar fills up too, giving you a quick and accurate picture of your mech's state. I think this is the best of both worlds.

That seems like a cool idea, though I'd make the armor outline start to dissapear, basically the visual opposite of your picture.

#20 LiquidDivide

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostColby Boucher, on 17 October 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

That seems like a cool idea, though I'd make the armor outline start to dissapear, basically the visual opposite of your picture.

You could do this, but I think having a bunch of colors draws your attention to it more than having a mostly gray model. That way instead of flashing less and getting darker, the more you take damage it gets brighter and draws your focus to it more. Either way works, I suppose. I just think my original method is closer to what we have today and seems more realistic. It's not like your gas gauge empty light in your car is on normally and shuts off when you get near empty. As a problem occurs, it tries to draw your attention, not the other way around.

Edited by LiquidDivide, 17 October 2014 - 12:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users