#61 Zeece

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 01 October 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

All competitive teams taking clans because they are straight out better. Have a good CW gentlemen.

IS quirks need to do some miracles for this to change.

Most of the Comp teams I've seen are planning on changing to Clan because they are... Competitive and they want to win as often as possible. This is the nature of things... and why if balance isn't found then CW will fail because the Clan players will just win over time because they are statistically better.

We can just hope the Quirks on the 21st of October give us IS players some hope.

#62 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostFatYak, on 30 September 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

how about none of those.. how about a casual gamer that would like to log in and have a good time without getting steamrolled day in and day out?

How about stay in solo queue or regular group queue. Not my fault you cant mechwarrior in a group effectively.

#63 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostKyle Wright, on 01 October 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

How about stay in solo queue or regular group queue. Not my fault you cant mechwarrior in a group effectively.

Precisely the attitude that makes people look at you "pro" guys and want nothing to do with them.

We played a match randomly with some clan tonight who cleaned up with razor efficiency and we won 12-0. Boring as all hell. Same as for the poor ******** on the other team. Literally sucking the fun out of the game for anyone who doesn't have days to devote to this thing a week. Couple that with all the self importance and holy-than-thou bullsh*t you might expect from an over zealous department manager at Walmart and yea, you're really fostering an environment that gets the "average player" to look upon your comp team clan with anything but scorn.

Edited by cSand, 01 October 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#64 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 30 September 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

Water is wet.

I don't see the problem. In ANY multiplayer game in history organized teams had an edge, kicked ass and generally won against a disorganized crowd. That's the perk of investing time and energy into forming a group, organizing it, communicating properly, practicing and playing together.

And I'm a solo player.

What exactly do you guys keep trying say when you point this out? When is your standard of "fairness" met? I guess you were the people who got trophies for participation and nobody won when you did sports at school?

Agreed, this just gets me so excited reading threads like these. It's like

"hey i only play for 1 hour a week, i should be able to dominate equally as good as the people who invest a ton of time" said no one ever in real life.

View PostZeece, on 30 September 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

Totally missed my point.. games should be INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE... They should be fun for ALL players... not some club that is only fun for the elite.

Its called good game design.

This is the same thinking that made WoW 5 mans and player retention horrible (5.4 lost them almost 700,000 subscribers) and Blizzard admitted it. Its never exclusive, it's just harder to reach.

Edited by Karamarka, 01 October 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#65 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostFatYak, on 30 September 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

And that's why i think CW will be a fail for most of us, because we are not from "comp teams"

Unless groups are ranked and can then only battack groups of a similar rank, this will quickly decend into a few of the top groups forming alliances and then preying on every other weaker group below them

Who's going to volunteer their time for that?

What kind of Community Warfare are we going to end up with using such a scheme? That's not CW, that's eSports! Boo!

Now, if bidding were included ...

View PostFatYak, on 30 September 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

how about none of those.. how about a casual gamer that would like to log in and have a good time without getting steamrolled day in and day out?

Play in the PUG queue?

Edited by Mystere, 01 October 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#66 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostcSand, on 01 October 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Hey can you write a big paragraph on how awesome you are next time?

Your short pretentious answers are just not descriptive enough!

Maybe post some selfies of yourself in a dashing pose.

We peasants need something to aspire to be one day!

No dude, im sick of people hating on units that put time into work effective... like I dont know HOW A REAL UNIT WOULD? That to hard to understand? Would you rather play CW with a bunch of rednecks with a shotgun in hand or Delta/SPETNAZ/Seals?etc... Sorry but if you cant prepare properly for essentially what will be a online war then thats on you.

#67 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostKyle Wright, on 01 October 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

No dude, im sick of people hating on units that put time into work effective... like I dont know HOW A REAL UNIT WOULD? That to hard to understand? Would you rather play CW with a bunch of rednecks with a shotgun in hand or Delta/SPETNAZ/Seals?etc... Sorry but if you cant prepare properly for essentially what will be a online war then thats on you.

Now Now Kyle, live my Hillbilly Countrified 30/30 toting Rednecks outta this discussion, we all know my accent will win CW for Davion :D

Edited by Darian DelFord, 01 October 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#68 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostKyle Wright, on 01 October 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

edit:

You can re read my post which I changed while you were responding it looks like

I wrote a big thing but..
f**k it. Do what you want ;)

I'll hang with my rednecks though

Edited by cSand, 01 October 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#69 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostcSand, on 01 October 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Re read my post.

I'd rather play with others of my level of "devotion to this game". Which, admittedly, is fairly low. I play to have a beer with my few friends who play and not because I have a hardon for pretending I'm in the military. And, I've met many good folks through doing so.

It's a game, bro, not a sport.

Don't lie to yourself and pretend it's anything else

The fact you even compare yourselves to, you know, real life commando units just shows how insanely inflated your ego is. I realize I'm in the wrong place to be preaching that but there ya go. Reality check.

Let me add some perspective here:
I'm a very good guitar player in my day to day life. I don't show up to some teenager's band practice in his garage, crank my amp up and wail a huge solo and kick over the drumset.

And yes. I'd rather play with a bunch of drunk shotgun wielding rednecks. Cause they know, at least, how to have a good time.

Have you considered that people wouldn't be so scornful towards "units that put time into work effective" if the guys acting as mouthpieces for these units didn't come off with such attitudes as you are showing here?

No my comparison was simply the dedication the guys in my unit put in to work well with each other. You are gonna blame guys that enjoy playing this game more then 1 hour a night. We have just as much right to enjoy this game as you do. You enjoy having fun playing casual we have fun joking around while trying to win.
And as you talk out of your rear, youve never dropped in our room with us and wouldnt know a damn thing. We were recently told by a recent player that out of Clan Wolf we are the rowdiest bunch she has ever seen compared to Kappa, Alpha, and Delta Galaxy. Not to mention on the weekends most guys are drinking. So dont act like you know anything about us man.

You think we would have a better attitude if we constantly get told that we are bad people because we run in a group larger then 4, or that we are better at something then some else. By all means dude hop on mercstar right now and come hangout. We have guys from JFI, STS, SRoT, QQ, CK, you name it, that always come by for a good time and ask anyone that has dropped with us we are always having fun. We just call targets, general movements, and ask that you dont bring LRMs is all.

Edited by Kyle Wright, 01 October 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#70 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

Well, I edited my post before your reply...

But you may have missed the point.

And I totally believe you guys can slam the beers and play games and are decent dudes.

But what do you expect, when most players' experience against units such as yours in a match that lasts 3 minutes and ends in a 12-0 stomp?

You think they're gonna come back and want to play with you again and again? Nobody is sitting at home after that and being in awe of the amazing skill they just saw. They're going "why the f**k did I just have to play against that? What a waste of time." It's just not enjoyable. Like the guy throwing down huge body checks and doing endzone celebrations in a beer league game. You see what I'm getting at here?

I'm sure you are all good folks. And yes you have as much right to play the game as anybody else.

I also fully understand that CW will be the land of pro groups, and that's fine, and also why I will be sticking to the PUG queue. Which doesn't bother me (in fact I prefer it), but I do feel for the non-competetive level people who want to partake in CW, but who will have to deal with constant stomps. I do find it ironic that CW will not actually be community warfare: It will be Comp-unit warfare. Make no mistake, the "community" (being the playerbase as a whole) will not have a chance to have much of a hand in it. On the other hand I could be wrong but it's been pretty much stated that that will be the case.

We'll not agree on this however I'll stop arguing and extend the hand of peace. Watch how you present yourself young jedi and enjoy your games.

Edited by cSand, 01 October 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#71 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

View PostcSand, on 01 October 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Well, I edited my post before your reply...

But you may have missed the point.

And I totally believe you guys can slam the beers and play games and are decent dudes.

But what do you expect, when most players' experience against units such as yours in a match that lasts 3 minutes and ends in a 12-0 stomp?

You think they're gonna come back and want to play with you again and again? Nobody is sitting at home after that and being in awe of the amazing skill they just saw. They're going "why the f**k did I just have to play against that? What a waste of time." It's just not enjoyable. Like the guy throwing down huge body checks and doing endzone celebrations in a beer league game. You see what I'm getting at here?

I'm sure you are all good folks. And yes you have as much right to play the game as anybody else.

I also fully understand that CW will be the land of pro groups, and that's fine, and also why I will be sticking to the PUG queue. Which doesn't bother me (in fact I prefer it), but I do feel for the non-competetive level people who want to partake in CW, but who will have to deal with constant stomps. I do find it ironic that CW will not actually be community warfare: It will be Comp-unit warfare. Make no mistake, the "community" (being the playerbase as a whole) will not have a chance to have much of a hand in it. On the other hand I could be wrong but it's been pretty much stated that that will be the case.

We'll not agree on this however I'll stop arguing and extend the hand of peace. Watch how you present yourself young jedi and enjoy your games.

All good man. i can see how new player experience can get cruel. I remember when I first started during the PPC/Guass all assault stalker/atlas/JJ Highlander meta, first mech was a blackjack and i about left after the first day because it was so painful. I eventually was grabbed by a bunch of guys that founded the old Team 007 team and sat there and still got beat on but learned a great deal at the same time. I can see though how not everyone would want to stick around.They need to set New Player experience so that they are not in the mix with people till after a month playing the game at least. Then based on their new player rating they get tiered from there. I guess I would say I strongly ill advise a new player or anyone that has less then maybe 50 hours in the game from playing CW because its going to be brutal.

#72 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

I don't mind that 12 Man Teams will dominate CW: After all that's what all the units have been waiting for and what CW is mainly aimed at. Putting it harsh I'd say: If you plan on lonewolfing CW you plan to be playing the game the wrong way.

What would go miles in terms of putting 12 mans and Units together would be at least faction chats in the front end so that units can actively and outside of match context recruit new pilots and dicuss the faction's plan of attack/defense in the CW.

#73 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Something to keep in mind. Small groups with a very good 12man will be out and attacking... but who will be defending their home if they aren't? That's right. Their garrison forces, if they have them, or faction pugs.

Hope that holds up or they get good enough players to keep their homeworld. Otherwise, who knows what logistical nightmares that will spawn.

#74 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Why 12 men will dominate CW... Cause team work and coordination is to OP for PUGs to handle.

#75 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

View PostChemie, on 30 September 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

There will be 2 types of games:

1. organized 12-man attack or defend and usually go against random pug teams. The outcome will be well known. The organized team can take an organized deck. Clans could field 6 timberwolfs and 6 direwolfs while the pugs take "whatever". ELO or not, the outcome is known.

Also, I suspect attackers will be at the advanced because of the 30 second thing so they will more likely be against pug teams while the defenders will be 50/50 against pugs team as attackers (since even a 2 man can attack and get backfilled).

2. Or the games will be random pug teams vs random pug teams. Outcome is 50/50

In short, ELO will be better matched because of dropdeck but it is just today's 12-man queue with planets.

So attackers will usually win the planets (unless the map design favors defenders heavily).

Name a game where groups don't dominate?

But guess what 90% of the groups your so afraid of kind of suck

#76 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:41 AM

View Posthybrid black, on 02 October 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

Name a game where groups don't dominate?

But guess what 90% of the groups your so afraid of kind of suck

We have a 2 drink minimumPosted ImagePosted Image before we drop Posted Image

#77 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

I LoLz'd.

Im not a group hater at all, but it still makes me laugh that you guys cant understand why they exist. In the end it will not really effect me, but i feel for those that it will.

View PostKyle Wright, on 01 October 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

and ask that you dont bring LRMs is all.

THAT is fantastic =D

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 October 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Ha! Priceless!

Edited by FatYak, 02 October 2014 - 02:37 AM.

#78 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

View PostMystere, on 01 October 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

What kind of Community Warfare are we going to end up with using such a scheme? That's not CW, that's eSports! Boo!

You might end up without a community to wage warfare with / against if its a hideously one sided affair.

I havn't written here to be an ass gentleman, i genuinely want CW to succeed - but i see stormclouds a'comin...

Edited by FatYak, 02 October 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#79 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostFatYak, on 02 October 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

I LoLz'd.

Im not a group hater at all, but it still makes me laugh that you guys cant understand why they exist. In the end it will not really effect me, but i feel for those that it will.
i play in both Ques right now. More PUG than Group to be honest. I don't feel sorry for solo players(myself included) in a team game. The loading page even sometimes says, 'To improve your chances of victory, Join a Team.'

That tells me we should all be looking to form up and have a better experience. This game is tons funner with the Law (all drunk, medicated and surly) than playing with only the in game sounds.

I fully understand those who don't/can't want to join a team, but they don't have the full experience of what this game is playing alone(no comms).

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 02 October 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#80 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

and it's not our fault you can't people effectively, but people try to compromise without coming across as a git. This here, is irony.

View PostcSand, on 01 October 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Precisely the attitude that makes people look at you "pro" guys and want nothing to do with them.

Bingo to that one.

Now of Mice, men, groups and solo players...

I used be part of a team that managed an extremely successful gaming community for a BF2 Mod Called Project Reality once upon a time. #1/2 in the world during the mods heyday (I seem to recall 50,000 or so log ins on one of our servers one month, coinciding with a new release)
700 active members on the website, dozens upon dozens of regulars.

And ohhhh yes we played to win a lot, and if any of you have played PR I'm sure you can vouch that the gameplay required an exceptional level of coordination and teamwork between all 32 players on each side. Something would be wrong if I didn't get one of the two best squads, not a bragging thing, it just was that way.

Here's the clincher, even then I rarely played with all clanmates in a single squad, in fact I hated it.
Doesn't apply in mechwarrior because of how the teams are laid out but there it just felt very elitist, closed off and no fun playing against other clans with mixtures of randoms thrown in.

So I always used to have the groups of "n00bs" the squadless ones who by some folks logic here just need to join a group or sign up with a unit or whatever.
More often than not we would still dominate.

Being in a group tends to be hassle, there's drama, politics, that one guy who comes into the lounge to just rant about life and everything, everyone knows best so any tactics tend to just drop off into mindless banter with voicing the target des of who you're shooting at being the highlight of any tactical maneuvers.
Then there's the ridiculous levels of some with "try outs" and practice sessions... where the game takes a back seat towards proving to some long lost father figure that you're the best there is and you'll get really wound up if you're not...

Any solo player who I've seen here trying to suggest improving features that encourage and enforce teamwork between random unknown players just gets instantly shot down by a load of comments that extend to little beyond "get on our level u scrub"

There's also a very condescending tone down to those who wish to play together in pugs, like we're still in the dark ages of gaming and THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL EVER BE BETTER IS TO JOIN US! ...meh

Still... It's been done where a scrabbling of pugs will walk all over a 12 man, often because of a tiny bit of coordination...

A terrifying concept what would happen if there were actually the tools and encouragement IN-GAME to work with your fellow randoms. You may try, fruitlessly, but something is undoubtedly missing from the mix as it stands.

The moment this happens, the hidden aspect of balance which is screwing the matchmaker will be much more evened out, after all, with the size of a lotta groups the only difference really is voip. All a group is is a bunch of solo players after all...

If ONLY it were the case that it's the done thing to command a lance, or the company, there are no commanders in this game, not because players don't want to be, it's because they can't be, it's pointless.

The solution is bolstering the teamwork aspects to a more acceptable level for ALL players, not one where aving more and simply squaking into a mic makes the game.
  • That doesn't mean looking down on those who haven't the time nor the patience to mess around with groups.
  • It doesn't mean frowning upon everyone who doesn't play in a group as inferior because they don't practice, train, have a secret handshake yadda yadda yadda.
  • It doesn't mean that you and your group are the meat and potatoes, be all and end all, saviors of MWO and everyone else is just an ancillary character in your game.
  • Most certainly when you and your units lance are the very first to die getting wiped out by running headlong into the enemy when the rest of your team has spawned on opposite ends of the map and are capping flags.
  • It doesn't mean you choose now you're dead to be the only time you open the chat to warble on about how what other people are doing and how it's all their fault that you buggered up and died in seconds ;)
  • Finally it really really REALLY doesn't mean that the teamwork is standing still in a clustermech about 50-100m across hoping the enemy comes one by one to give you the advantage.
It means that all players have the same tools and structure in each game to play on level ground.

Oncemore, that's not all going on teamspeak. it's a command wheel (can't wait), better battlegrid, preplaced commanders to encourage leadership, bonuses for good leadership and for the teammates in that command, tutorials, tactics and so on!
Right now we have a commanding system that not even the most hardcore ArmaLover seems to want to touch it with a bargepole. (Had a dev once who shall remain nameless say to me in a game "That's the first proper use of the command system I've ever seen")

THAT is the problem.

I'm sure some folk will get upset or angry because what I'm saying isn't the typical "you should be in a unit" "l2p nub" "solos suck, get used to it" and so forth.

This has dragged on for far to long so Ill leave it with the fact that pugs are fully capable of giving 12 mans a run for their money and then some don't be so afraid of that happening, maybe... even... help?

TLDR: My unit is the people on my team, who can work together and need a better system to do so.
I have zero problem with organised groups. I have every problem with characters of the sort who use TS like many others and once having a few letters stuck to their name see themselves as gods gift to the game, CW as their special gamemode and all other players are secondary to their obvious superiority.

/rant of untold ends
/apologies for rant of untold ends

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 October 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

^^^^^ right attitude, this man gets it... he always has.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 02 October 2014 - 04:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users