Psa: Equip Ams.

Balance

147 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

*edit* Russ agreed to make AMS reward a priority!

Now that IS AMS too have 2000 ammo per ton, there is simply no excuse not to equip one--unless you are X-5 pilot. Even 1 ton of ammo can now go a long way of protecting yourself or your teammate from full brunt of LRMs, given the amount of people trying out their brand new quirk-juiced AWS-8Rs and BLR-1Ss.

I know AMS Awareness Day is on Thursday, but ideally you should play with one starting now.

If you are still not convinced, I can give you six reasons on why you should take AMS in pugs.

1. Longer survivability for you, allowing you to potentially deal more damage and earn more rewards.

2. Longer survivability for your teammates, allowing them to potentially deal more damage and earn more rewards.

3. AMS has more impact than one extra heatsink instead. In fact, in the current LRM friendly pug meta, an AMS with a ton of ammo is going to make much more impact than anything you can put instead--with the exception of BAP.

4. Armor can be maxxed, but AMS can further enhance it. It is statistically proven that a ton of AMS ammo can potentially save up to 3-4 tons of armor from LRMs**, even if half the bullets miss. Would you like to put extra 3-4 tons of armor with the cost of 1.5 ton?
**Maths are done near the bottom of page 3.

5. AMS has on-off toggle. You don't want to reveal yourself or waste AMS ammo? You can turn it off.

6. Enough AMS can and will discourage the enemy LRM boats from shooting towards your direction, and force them to look for easier pickings--such as mechs with no AMS. It is a deterrent, and unlike ECM, it has no hard counters.

7. AMS can shoot down NARC beacon. Makes your life whole easier.

With the ammo buff, the pros of AMS heavily overweigh the cons of equipping it in pugs. It is up to you to stay ahead of the curve, or be stuck in last patch mentality. I am simply here to give a wake-up call.

Equip an AMS, save a pug.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 25 January 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#2 Tw1stedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Still around and still supporting lrms despite them being a fun cancer? At least you are consistent

#3 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostTw1stedMonkey, on 04 November 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Still around and still supporting lrms despite them being a fun cancer? At least you are consistent

Rallying people to equip AMS in light of AMS buff = Supporting LRMs?

Your head is still as empty as your rhetoric.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 November 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#4 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 November 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Now that IS AMS too have 2000 ammo per ton, there is simply no excuse not to equip one--unless you are X-5 pilot. Even 1 ton of ammo can now go a long way of protecting yourself or your teammate from full brunt of LRMs, given the amount of people trying out their brand new quirk juiced 8Rs and 1Ss.

I know AMS Awareness Day is on Thursday, but ideally you should play with one now. I'll have none of your "Even 3 tons of AMS ammo does not last me the whole match" excuse, with this buff.

Equip an AMS, save a pug.

Posted Image

ILL SAVE YOU!!!

Posted Image

And if every person who could took 1 AMS, the LRM would almost cease to exist.....ive watched entire volleys just vanish in thin air.....and its very satisfying to watch.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 04 November 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#5 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

I've always run most of my mechs with AMS, and I have retained the dual-AMS builds in my mechbays. The ammo increase is a godsend.

I might be just a little touched, but the majority of my builds have Beagle/Clan Probe, Command Console/Targeting Computer, and Advanced Sensors. Speed, sensors, and the MWO equivalent of DDS/Chaff/Phalanx are all obsessions from having to play in the RL Bigs, back in the Cold War.

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostRalphVargr, on 04 November 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I've always run most of my mechs with AMS, and I have retained the dual-AMS builds in my mechbays. The ammo increase is a godsend.

I might be just a little touched, but the majority of my builds have Beagle/Clan Probe, Command Console/Targeting Computer, and Advanced Sensors. Speed, sensors, and the MWO equivalent of DDS/Chaff/Phalanx are all obsessions from having to play in the RL Bigs, back in the Cold War.

Posted Image

#7 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Command consoles are JSTARS by another name.

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'll be putting AMS back on. At double payload it's worth it. I wouldn't waste module space on AMS buffs most the time but more people taking them will shave out the LRM population. People only need to play a few matches with LRMs where the other team is AMS heavy to just run out of ***** to give and go back to something fun.

#9 Tw1stedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 November 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

Rallying people to equip AMS in light of AMS buff = Supporting LRMs?

Your head is still as empty as your rhetoric.

It's pretty obvious your mind is beyond saving at this point so i won't waste any more time trying to convince you. That said, I am weary of dedicating tonnage that has a chance to be up to 100% useless if rng makes your enemy team not have lrms, and isn't really that great unless in bulk and also still runs out of ammo much quicker than the lrmers.

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostTw1stedMonkey, on 04 November 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

It's pretty obvious your mind is beyond saving at this point so i won't waste any more time trying to convince you. That said, I am weary of dedicating tonnage that has a chance to be up to 100% useless if rng makes your enemy team not have lrms, and isn't really that great unless in bulk and also still runs out of ammo much quicker than the lrmers.

Its a subtraction game, AMS help the enemy team from subtracting as much health off your team, and its hoped that your team can make up for the lack of being hammered by LRMs and out damage the non LRM boats on the enemy team, and hten deal with hte LRM boats up close......

Its a moderate support tool, its a side dish, not the whole meal.....

And if more people get the mentality to carry it, then 3 or 4 AMS together will really clear the skies of LRMs.....sure, they might run out before the LRM ammo....but still......take the time to push and shoot the enemy up.......

#11 Dreddex

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBehind you, critting your back

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

That's like saying putting armor on your mech has a chance to be useless because someone might not even shoot at you so why put it on. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

#12 Alexander MacTaggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

People that say AMS is crap because you need multiple for interlocking fields of fire and you can't rely on other people having it... are the problem with not being able to rely on other people having it.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostAlexander MacTaggart, on 04 November 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

People that say AMS is crap because you need multiple for interlocking fields of fire and you can't rely on other people having it... are the problem with not being able to rely on other people having it.

Precisely.

#14 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

This right here everyone, is the mind of the average LRM whiner. He knows there are ways to deal with LRMs(radar dep, AMS, AMS overlaod, etc..), but he deliberately chooses not to use them, and STILL demands they get nerfed.

as I've said before, these people will never be happy until they are granted invincibility to LRMs 100% of the time.

#15 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

You know what would be sweet? Letting me manually shoot down missiles with my weapons.....because reality. THEN I would stop bitching I swear.
Yes I agree, equip AMS if your build at all allows it, though for something like a light mech you better just learn to dodge them, you cant spare the tonnage.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 05 November 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#16 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

I am indeed getting back into the habit of having ams on all my Gundams, except for builds where space or weight is very tight.

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

Only 1 thing to say here :

DO IT !

#18 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 05 November 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

You know what would be sweet? Letting me manually shoot down missiles with my weapons.....because reality. THEN I would stop bitching I swear.
Yes I agree, equip AMS if your build at all allows it, though for something like a light mech you better just learn to dodge them, you cant spare the tonnage.

I run all of my Locusts with 1 AMS.. :P if my 20 ton light mech can spare 1.5 tons for it, I bet a 35 ton mech can.

#19 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

I run the majority of my mechs with AMS, and always have.

#20 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

It seems I'm a very dirty person, as I don't sport AMS, like, at all. Used to, but.. it's gone. I know AMS is a good thing, but I just can't find that tonnage for it. AMS seems to screw up every good build on whatever mech. Maybe if you ride assaults, you can find tons for it, I don't and I can't.
Yes, I sometimes get beaten with heavy LRMs, but in such cases I know that AMS wouldn't help much. Anyway, I can recall only about 3 or 4 times when I was LRMurdered, usually even getting narced leaves me beaten, but alive.
I can take aboard BAP or NARC, but can't force myself for AMS somehow. I am sorry =D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users