30 replies to this topic

#1 chaosdaemon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

So, I left and recently came back to see that MWO is in serious trouble. When I left TS was hopping with players, and there was virtually no wait in que for a match. My first match saw a 5 minute wait, there was only a handful of people on teamspeak, and after about 12 matches I saw I was playing primarily with the same 30 or so players. Hence the 5 minute wait, is this directly attributed to the 100's of dollars one must spend to aquire the new mechs? Or is it a serious lack of map development making the game as stale now as it was when I left? It saddens me to see that after about a year, there are but 1-2 new, real new maps, sure tere are new drop points added, but that hardly constitutes a new map. The fact that people willing to spend a few hundred dollars in order to enjoy a serious mech advantage for a few months, seems very laughable, 50 bucks maybe, but what I see is like 200 or so for the full line. Spending a few bucks to get a neat mech is one thing, and lots of people probably would, but the model of trying to live off the few I find very funny. What will happen when they can't fill 12 man teams? Is the community going south so fast that the game has lost it's appeal? I really enjoyed the game in it's infancy, it had its problems, but there were so many people on it was a blast. Now I am wondering why I bothered to return, the weekend saw a few more people then today, but still no population means no money. I attribute this to too few C-Bills being rewarded after a match. The grind must be truly grueling for a new player starting out. This post is not a rant, but merely my own observations. I am not a developer, but I do see the economic standpoint of the game. I see its fundamental flaws and I see how it is affecting both the community as a whole and the game play in general and it makes me sad. :(
I do think the 12 mans were a great addition to the game, wish they had been implemented at the beginning. Have Fun and Stay Safe.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Listen, compare the situation to a year ago, now think about it. Aside from the fact that you've just returned, PGI is ramping up their speed on everything now that IGP is no longer in a shared contract with them. Give it some time, also, since you've already played MWO, you already knew it was going to be different! Why complain and say "Well, good luck people, I hope this game goes bad!", when you should say "You know what, I better put some time in and see what the buzz is all about." You gotta play some more to comprehend what is going on. Read up on the Dev logs too! they provide A LOT of information about what's going on, and then there's town hall, which answer players' questions on the game and what is going on...

#3 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

Match wait times depend on a lot of factors and it's something I have to put up with as I specifically like to play conquest. Because I also play medium mechs most of the time, that choice along with 1 single game mode plus ELO means I will often be grouped with similar names, all giving the impression of a low population. If I choose different weights and all game modes, I'll get into a game very quickly and see completely different players.

The game is in the best state as it's ever been and we also don't have IGP strangling development.

Your experience isn't an accurate representation of how things stand.

Edited by Kyocera, 21 November 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#4 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

part of the wait on matches is the 3/3/3/3 setup... (along with other things of course)
If you pick the mech class that is at the lowest % in the queue, you almost instant queue...

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

#trollthread 3/10

ggclose

#6 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

Wall of text. Did not read.

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

The population is great. You're way off in your observations.

#8 ibex230

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Reminds me of the recent southpark episode fremium. :D

#9 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostKevjack, on 21 November 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

The population is great. You're way off in your observations.

RoFL ... Good joke.

#10 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

View Postchaosdaemon, on 21 November 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

So, I left and recently came back to see that MWO is in serious trouble. When I left TS was hopping with players, and there was virtually no wait in que for a match. My first match saw a 5 minute wait,
Depending on how long you've been away this could be an effect of tighter constraints on the matchmaker.

there was only a handful of people on teamspeak,
Could be that people just don't use whatever TS server you used to use anymore.

and after about 12 matches I saw I was playing primarily with the same 30 or so players.
See previous comment about matchmaker. With tighter MM restrictions, then yes, you're more likely to see the same people over and over.

Or is it a serious lack of map development making the game as stale now as it was when I left?
We JUST got the brand spanking new Swamp map, and got the industrial map (whatever it's called I forget) a few weeks ago. We'll be getting another completely new map with CW. You were saying about stale maps?

The fact that people willing to spend a few hundred dollars in order to enjoy a serious mech advantage for a few months, seems very laughable, 50 bucks maybe, but what I see is like 200 or so for the full line. Spending a few bucks to get a neat mech is one thing, and lots of people probably would, but the model of trying to live off the few I find very funny.
first of all, Clan mechs were unbalanced when they first came out, but have been brought in line rather well so far (Not perfect but big improvement). Second, welcome to the Free to Play model.

What will happen when they can't fill 12 man teams? Is the community going south so fast that the game has lost it's appeal? I really enjoyed the game in it's infancy, it had its problems, but there were so many people on it was a blast. Now I am wondering why I bothered to return, the weekend saw a few more people then today, but still no population means no money. I attribute this to too few C-Bills being rewarded after a match. The grind must be truly grueling for a new player starting out. This post is not a rant, but merely my own observations. I am not a developer, but I do see the economic standpoint of the game. I see its fundamental flaws and I see how it is affecting both the community as a whole and the game play in general and it makes me sad. :(
Just because the people YOU used to play with aren't around anymore it doesn't mean that this is a ghost town by any means. Yes a lot of people left, but there have been a TON of new people come in to replace those. Most of the people I started playing with a couple of years ago aren't around anymore either, but that is by no means a sign that the game is suffering.

#11 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

I do see some points in what he says.

I played a couple nights this week. I had match with a loudmouth nagging me about how I played after he died. Told him to zip it. That made me acutely aware of him and I noticed he was in four out of the five remaining matches we played that night. He even ended up in my lance twice more. That certainly indicates a limited number of players.

Was playing last night with a three man group and once, after a particularly long wait, got put in a match where there were 7 light mechs on our team. How is that possible, unless matchmaker just had to take everyone that was waiting and throw us together regardless?

Add to the above, I wonder just why IGP and PGI went their separate ways. Did you ever wonder about that? Would IGP give up their share of the profits if they saw any future in MWO? I think not. I think they decided to cut their losses and run. Kudos to PGI for trying to turn things around. I don't really know if they will succeed. I agree with chaosdaemon. Makes me sad.

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostRiverboat Sam, on 21 November 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

I do see some points in what he says.

I played a couple nights this week. I had match with a loudmouth nagging me about how I played after he died. Told him to zip it. That made me acutely aware of him and I noticed he was in four out of the five remaining matches we played that night. He even ended up in my lance twice more. That certainly indicates a limited number of players.

Was playing last night with a three man group and once, after a particularly long wait, got put in a match where there were 7 light mechs on our team. How is that possible, unless matchmaker just had to take everyone that was waiting and throw us together regardless?

Add to the above, I wonder just why IGP and PGI went their separate ways. Did you ever wonder about that? Would IGP give up their share of the profits if they saw any future in MWO? I think not. I think they decided to cut their losses and run. Kudos to PGI for trying to turn things around. I don't really know if they will succeed. I agree with chaosdaemon. Makes me sad.

Um, let me educate you a bit(not in the rude way). First off, PGI bought out IGP for the contract. Second off, if PGI is still going right now, and if you look at description of mwomercs.com, you'll see that it is copyright until 2016, and lastly, you just disregarded what LauLiao just said before you. Class Dismissed.

#13 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

View Postchaosdaemon, on 21 November 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

So, I left and recently came back to see that MWO is in serious trouble. When I left TS was hopping with players, and there was virtually no wait in que for a match. My first match saw a 5 minute wait, there was only a handful of people on teamspeak, and after about 12 matches I saw I was playing primarily with the same 30 or so players. Hence the 5 minute wait, is this directly attributed to the 100's of dollars one must spend to aquire the new mechs? Or is it a serious lack of map development making the game as stale now as it was when I left? It saddens me to see that after about a year, there are but 1-2 new, real new maps, sure tere are new drop points added, but that hardly constitutes a new map. The fact that people willing to spend a few hundred dollars in order to enjoy a serious mech advantage for a few months, seems very laughable, 50 bucks maybe, but what I see is like 200 or so for the full line. Spending a few bucks to get a neat mech is one thing, and lots of people probably would, but the model of trying to live off the few I find very funny. What will happen when they can't fill 12 man teams? Is the community going south so fast that the game has lost it's appeal? I really enjoyed the game in it's infancy, it had its problems, but there were so many people on it was a blast. Now I am wondering why I bothered to return, the weekend saw a few more people then today, but still no population means no money. I attribute this to too few C-Bills being rewarded after a match. The grind must be truly grueling for a new player starting out. This post is not a rant, but merely my own observations. I am not a developer, but I do see the economic standpoint of the game. I see its fundamental flaws and I see how it is affecting both the community as a whole and the game play in general and it makes me sad. :(
I do think the 12 mans were a great addition to the game, wish they had been implemented at the beginning. Have Fun and Stay Safe.

wow, at the end of your post you say it's your own observations, but in the beginning of your post you say in the definitive "MWO is in trouble". You were correct at the end....it is only your observations. Please refrain from making definitive posts if you have no proof. Thank you.

#14 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 21 November 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Um, let me educate you a bit(not in the rude way). First off, PGI bought out IGP for the contract. Second off, if PGI is still going right now, and if you look at description of mwomercs.com, you'll see that it is copyright until 2016, and lastly, you just disregarded what LauLiao just said before you. Class Dismissed.

Think you're taking me to school, do you? (Chuckle). So...ever been in business? Of course IGP wanted something for their interest in the venture. How much was the buy out? $100,000 or $1? You don't know? Hmm... Perhaps you should think about that a bit before deciding you have all the answers. Yes, I know the copyright is until 2016. Means absolutely nothing except that's the copyright PGI has filed. Just paperwork. Means nothing about the health of the company. And yeah, I saw what LauLiao said. I just don't agree particularly.

Edited by Riverboat Sam, 21 November 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#15 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

... can I do this and get away with it this time...? ^_^

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 21 November 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

... can I do this and get away with it this time...? ^_^

Yes, yes you can.

#17 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

I've been to a few sites where they had the Total Population and Current Population amounts listed in the main page of their site. Mostly because players were curious to know the activity of the server and based their decisions as to whether it was worth logging in that day or not.

After reading your lengthy block of text.. I only had one other thing come to mind.
http://mexalapotis.f...lest-violin.jpg

#18 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

I actually was wondering, is their a site for us to see MWO population? I am just really curious how many of my fellow mechwarriors are on.

#19 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostJeb, on 21 November 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

If you pick the mech class that is at the lowest % in the queue, you almost instant queue...

Does this actually work for anyone? It doesn't matter for me if I pick a light at 8% or a heavy at 40%, the time to find a match is pretty much the same.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

View Postcdlord, on 21 November 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

#trollthread 3/10

ggclose

You're too generous. 1/10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic