Terrible Gtx 970 Experience With Mwo.

111 replies to this topic

#61 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostGolrar, on 16 January 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

I am not familiar with the GT 465, but is the bus width less? Is it a 128bit card whereas the GTX970 I know is a 256 bit. I would be interested in anybody with e 384bit or 512bit experimenting with this combination.

We all think that the wider bus should net better performance, but in (excuse the slight) older CPUs, perhaps this isn't the case with the more powerful GPU populating the bus?

I know I went from a 128bit GTX650Ti to the GTX970 and saw more activity in Afterbuner in my cores, but I attributed that to me jacking the settings in MWO. It could also possibly explain my dips without the more agressive OC. If anyone with more knowledge can chime in here, cuz I am just grasping at straws through twisted logic.

GTX 465 is 256 bit bus too. Have you ever tried going back to your old video card and just setting everything to low and "off" on both cards and trying out one, and then the other? Just a thought.

#62 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Bah, too lazy to put the old card back in. I guess if I had time I could do that and give it a shot. Right now I am getting the performance I want with the 4.2Ghz OC, just a few annoying dips. But doesn't hurt my play. Actually, doing much better since I got the 970. And CW is actually playable...if I can ever get into a drop.

#63 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostGolrar, on 16 January 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

Bah, too lazy to put the old card back in. I guess if I had time I could do that and give it a shot. Right now I am getting the performance I want with the 4.2Ghz OC, just a few annoying dips. But doesn't hurt my play. Actually, doing much better since I got the 970. And CW is actually playable...if I can ever get into a drop.

Have you tried TCP Optimizer yet? Give it a shot, if you didn't. It can level the performance for CW (more so than regular pug games.)

#64 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVickers Mining Co. Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwelth. Hollers, Derf

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have zero problems out of my new Evga GTX 970. Have everything maxed out, running TXAA and average 40-60 (dipping a bit for certain particle-heavy maps, like Forest Colony). Running an FX-8350 with 16GB of RAM using the 64-Bit Client.

#65 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Yes, I know all about TCPOptimizer. It is literally the first hing I run on a new PC after everything OS wise is up and stable.

My CW performance hit was from my old GTX650Ti. I haven't had any issues with the GTX970.

Rayne, what clock speed is your 8350 running at? Just curious. I hope to get mine back up stable at 4.6Ghz soon.

#66 Infrasound

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

[color="#959595"]ATI cpu. gg[/color]

#67 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

I also thought that when I upgraded from a GTX 560TI to a GTX970 that I would see massive improvements in the game. The 970 actually does not perform as well as the 560 did and I lost frames at the same settings. It's not too bad and probably better than most but it did make me realize that it's time to upgrade my current system.

Looking at upgrading to a I5 4690k with a Z97 MB. http://www.newegg.co...t=Combo.1727854

Thoughts?

#68 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

What are you running currently, Burner? Might help the experts (not me) figure out something good for you.

#69 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostBurner, on 22 January 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

I also thought that when I upgraded from a GTX 560TI to a GTX970 that I would see massive improvements in the game. The 970 actually does not perform as well as the 560 did and I lost frames at the same settings. It's not too bad and probably better than most but it did make me realize that it's time to upgrade my current system.

Looking at upgrading to a I5 4690k with a Z97 MB. http://www.newegg.co...t=Combo.1727854

Thoughts?

That would do the job, despite needing an Aftermarket cooler........for huge OC...............putting you up on the cusp of IPC per core.........for me I have faster ram so I would sell/barter/trade the 1600MHz ram for a CPU cooler. You would need to make sure your PSU is haswell ready.........Im not entirely sure what it's called My thermaltake smart power 750 said on the box smart750W haswell ready..........?? think it has to do with ripple and flat voltage levels that haswell enjoys.....

**Also Haswell ready is allegedly involving a low power state** according to the thermaltakes box.....

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 24 January 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#70 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 29 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I bought a GTX970,too and it will be shipped on monday. So it means that MWO will not profit from it? Is it really that badly programmed?
I run it fine on my GTX660 TI with a i5-3570K, but for the upcoming titles like GTA V I want more power. I thought that MWO would run better with a better GPU, because that would be logical. Silly me -_-

Currently I have around 90-100 fps and it drops down to 40-50 if the action starts so I cant really complain.

My son just built a system with a GTX970 in it. He gets around 120-140 FPS with everything turned up and streams on Twitch with it. He also runs an I7-4960, so that may have a lot to do with it.

#71 Tumbling Dice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

Thoughts?

Whatever you decide, read THIS first. Your upgrade looks good. Here is my FIRESTRIKE with the 4690k, gtx970 and Maximus Hero VII. I run 60-70 fps in CW.

#72 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Yep. That sounds acceptable.

Actually, I am currently selling my AMD system on eBay (Parts that could be replaced by Intel) and am planning on getting 4990K but not sure what mobo I would buy yet. Not rich enough for 2011V3 style with new memory type of setup. Have to reuse my DDR3 memory for now. I am also not sure if I should buy extended ATX type of mobo or mini-ATX so that I could reuse it in the future in a smaller case.

#73 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostGolrar, on 23 January 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

What are you running currently, Burner? Might help the experts (not me) figure out something good for you.

I knew someone was going to ask that. Currently I run and I7 930 OCed to 3.3 on an Asus P6T with 12 MB RAM with a Thermal lake Black Widow PSU (850W)

#74 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:44 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 29 November 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Update:

Just dumped my GTX 970 back into MSI's lap. They gave me 3 choices when I complained and asked if they have a 'step up' program like that of EVGA: Choice 1--Accept that there is no problem with the card and receive a free MSI mouse; Choice 2--Pay $350 + tax of upgrade price to get an MSI GTX 980 and pay for shipping of my old GTX 970 back to them out of my pocket; Choice 3--Refund of my original price, minus 15% restocking, and I pay out of my pocket the shipping cost back of my old GTX 970 back to them.

I thought that choice 1 was a bit cheesy (what? 'nothing wrong' but they are giving away free mice.. ok..); choice 2 smelled like rip-off because the grand total price of my new GTX 980 after everything I spend on it would have come out to around $780 (price of my old card ($405), shipping back to them ($25), +$350 upgrade price, +tax). Yah, choice 2 is extremely dumb because, as I pointed out to them right there and then that newegg currently sells MSI GTX 980 for $555 (including shipping). I chose the choice #3 and behind the door #3 was, obviously, some loss, but, I am willing to incur that loss just to get this thing behind me. Hopefully next time I won't be the guinea pig that manufacturers test their new architecture on. I keep telling myself not to buy new tech things as soon as they come out but.. doh.

#75 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

The Phenom II X6 once was a great processor with superb performance, but it now is 5 years old.C:UsersCarstenPicturesPerf-Index%20CPU.png

In this index, which includes Crysis 3, it is two thirds of the speed of an i5-3570k.
http://www.imgbox.de.../9Xo4KRCu1z.png
http://www.pcgamesha...nliste-1143392/

Edited by PFC Carsten, 08 February 2015 - 01:04 AM.

#76 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 08 February 2015 - 12:44 AM, said:

Update:

Just dumped my GTX 970 back into MSI's lap.

I have the same card you just returned and am having zero issues. I only run 1080p, though. Those do sound like terrible options, though. I don't think I would choose any of them. I am going to keep mine and see what AMD comes out with next, see if they find a way to reduce their TDP and up performance.

#77 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

View PostGolrar, on 08 February 2015 - 05:43 AM, said:

I have the same card you just returned and am having zero issues. I only run 1080p, though. Those do sound like terrible options, though. I don't think I would choose any of them. I am going to keep mine and see what AMD comes out with next, see if they find a way to reduce their TDP and up performance.

I would expect AMDs new gen chips yo improve performance and likely lead the 9 series Nvidia chips.

What I'm pretty certain won't happen is AMD to improve on its standard high TDP as AMD has been more cores more power focused for a long time

#78 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

The 380X specs that have solidly become consensus suggest an HBM-equipped, 4096 stream processor card that will far and away beat the 980X (for example), and multiple alleged benchmarks all consistently fall in line with said specs with slight upward notching of more and more recent reports that's probability indicative of driver maturation. It will not, however, be power efficient.

We're not quite talking GTX 480 real world results back when TDP was more like a suggestion for Nvidia, but it's going to be close to those days. It's going to be around 300W, most people think it'll have some sort of closed-loop liquid cooling setup. In short, it will demand some serious PSU.
If the performance numbers are reasonably representative and the 295W TDP is correct, then we're talking a card with a ~40% performance advantage, but a ~80% power hike, or put another way, it uses roughly 30% more power per unit of performance. That's not night and day, but provided all those numbers aren't completely wrong, it's a difference, to be sure.

There will also be other tradeoffs between them. AMD will probably keep the hillariously better GPGPU capability that separates their cards from Nvidia's non-GK110 cards, but that's a niche concern for the moment.

In a way, this creates a good situation. It makes the cards from Nvidia and AMD slightly different products that have slightly different emphasis. I was going to get a 970, but now I'll probably get a 380X myself.

Edited by Catamount, 08 February 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#79 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostCatamount, on 08 February 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

The 380X specs that have solidly become consensus suggest an HBM-equipped, 4096 stream processor card that will far and away beat the 980X (for example), and multiple alleged benchmarks all consistently fall in line with said specs with slight upward notching of more and more recent reports that's probability indicative of driver maturation. It will not, however, be power efficient.

We're not quite talking GTX 480 real world results back when TDP was more like a suggestion for Nvidia, but it's going to be close to those days. It's going to be around 300W, most people think it'll have some sort of closed-loop liquid cooling setup. In short, it will demand some serious PSU.
If the performance numbers are reasonably representative and the 295W TDP is correct, then we're talking a card with a ~40% performance advantage, but a ~80% power hike, or put another way, it uses roughly 30% more power per unit of performance. That's not night and day, but provided all those numbers aren't completely wrong, it's a difference, to be sure.

There will also be other tradeoffs between them. AMD will probably keep the hillariously better GPGPU capability that separates their cards from Nvidia's non-GK110 cards, but that's a niche concern for the moment.

In a way, this creates a good situation. It makes the cards from Nvidia and AMD slightly different products that have slightly different emphasis. I was going to get a 970, but now I'll probably get a 380X myself.

And this is a good thing because each side has its niche.
Technology wise I can't fail to be impressed at Maxwell with its reduction in TDP while still increasing performance.

But on a pure performance point if I'm building a new rig or looking to upgrade GPU then as usual AMD will have the edge with their next lineup.

#80 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

I swapped my now dead 780 today and ordered a 970 G1 gaming.

I'll see how that thing pairs with my 4770K and keep everyone in here posted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users