Bnc-3M Post Quirks

23 replies to this topic

#1 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hey guys was browsing and didn't really see much discussion on builds for the "Wubshee" once quirks dropped. Figured I'd post a build I have been using with some pretty great results to try and spark some thoughts/discussion on this guy.

BNC-Reach out and Wub someone.

Highlights:
4 high mounted LPL's. Mounted in such a fashion that you can left/right fire as needed for excellent poking and highmounting allows you to shoot over many smaller mechs with impunity. The range on these things is incredible as well, especially with the appropriate range mod.

Arm Shields! Arms can eat damage like the US army eats it's tax payers dollars. Loss of an arm and it's heat sinks does little to impact build when in combat.

Speed! While not as fast as some other XL assaults, this thing still moves at a decent pace. Allows you to readily amount manuver and poke down most threats.

Disadvantages:
Not Competetive viable - If you're a meta junkie, this probably won't be for you.

XL Engine - Prevents ability to zombie. Can and will get rolled over if played like a meat shield.

Heat Management - Despite LPL quirks you can run hot if you aren't careful and use appropriate fire discipline. ML's on build are there to high mount LPL's and should be used only as a finisher for close range mechs.

Build design is by no means 'optimized', merely a copy of what I use in game. Am debating upgrading engine size to 400 with some additional changes. Would like to hear other's thoughts on basic premise first though.

#2 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

I went for something a bit faster and with a bit better heat dissipation.
BNC-3M

#3 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

Aye. Shortly after I posted original build I updated to what you posted. Introduction of XL400 and the additional heatsink makes an appreciable difference in terms of combat capability! Now to see about obtaining a few screenshots to show the mech's effectiveness.

#4 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

Lovely Wubshee!

Thats my build ...
BNC-3M

LPlasers fired in pairs (high mounted / low mounted) and MPlasers for the kill shot. Quit similar to what u have posted above despite 4 MPLs render it rather hot.

Edited by Joey Tankblaster, 08 December 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#5 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

Forgot to add some of the proof of concept stuff I got together for those unsure of the build or doubting it's abilities.

Personal best for damage in a round:

Standard game play example, shows how this build can bully mechs out in the open:

Learning to to peek and poke properly by 'rocking' back and forth with forward and reverse is huge. Minimizes exposure and allows you to get burn. I've a few more recordings I'll sort through to show the advantages of shooting over allies like a champ.

#6 0rca

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

I personnaly like This one.

I've noticed that even with torso twisting, arms are not that good for tanking, except maybe for lrms. Maybe I'm bad at twisting, but even with turning and arm-unlocked twisting its too slow to block damage effectively during very fast LPL cooldown. Might be I'm just bad.

Obviously, small lasers are to push LPLs to top slots, too bad years later we still can't choose hardpoint slots. And I like shooting over hellbringers' heads more than extra DHS .

Edited by 0rca, 08 December 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Why is everybody using small lasers?

I load four mediums on mine - it's a 4-ton AC20 with about the same range and burn time as the LPLs and less heat than MPLs. I usually start every engagement with an alpha, because nobody likes 64 damage going into a single component - makes even DWFs back down about half the time. I find I can skimp on armour because everybody aims for CT on this thing (it's pretty XL-safe, unlike the 3E where the LT goes down every single match.)

Edited by Tarogato, 08 December 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#8 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

View Post0rca, on 08 December 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

I personnaly like This one.

I've noticed that even with torso twisting, arms are not that good for tanking, except maybe for lrms. Maybe I'm bad at twisting, but even with turning and arm-unlocked twisting its too slow to block damage effectively during very fast LPL cooldown. Might be I'm just bad.

Obviously, small lasers are to push LPLs to top slots, too bad years later we still can't choose hardpoint slots. And I like shooting over hellbringers' heads more than extra DHS .

The arms take a bit of practice to use effectively as shields. A 350 STD is a great engine to fall back on though for those that want to be able to go after losing a torso. Higher engine size does help with the twisting speed. Learning when to back off and keep shielding rather than turn back for those extra shots is also good. I am seriously hoping for the day we get to choose hardpoint slots. Oh the mechs that shall come out of such an ability.

View PostTarogato, on 08 December 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Why is everybody using small lasers?

I load four mediums on mine - it's a 4-ton AC20 with about the same range and burn time as the LPLs and less heat than MPLs. I usually start every engagement with an alpha, because nobody likes 64 damage going into a single component - makes even DWFs back down about half the time. I find I can skimp on armour because everybody aims for CT on this thing (it's pretty XL-safe, unlike the 3E where the LT goes down every single match.)

As Orca pointed out. Small lasers are to push the LPLs into top mounts. While medium lasers are obviously more range friendly, they are also double the weight. I don't know how many LPLs you are running Taro, however any alpha with 4LPLs is an incredible waste of heat and should only be done in desperate/suicidal moments.

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostKalinth, on 08 December 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

As Orca pointed out. Small lasers are to push the LPLs into top mounts. While medium lasers are obviously more range friendly, they are also double the weight. I don't know how many LPLs you are running Taro, however any alpha with 4LPLs is an incredible waste of heat and should only be done in desperate/suicidal moments.
Ah, right, I forgot about that trick.

Here's my build exactly as it is in game right now (yes, it's 83 tons, I don't have the XL380 that completes this build yet) BNC-3M <Tarogato>

Probably about ⅓ of all my shots are an alpha. I spend most of my time in cover waiting for a red box to line up my shots. Despite the wrong engine, seems to be working. ^_^Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 08 December 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#10 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

Wubshee is the secret boss in MWO.

#11 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

View PostTarogato, on 08 December 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Ah, right, I forgot about that trick.

Here's my build exactly as it is in game right now (yes, it's 83 tons, I don't have the XL380 that completes this build yet) BNC-3M <Tarogato>

Probably about ⅓ of all my shots are an alpha. I spend most of my time in cover waiting for a red box to line up my shots. Despite the wrong engine, seems to be working. ^_^

Do you perhaps have a STD of similar size that you can utilize in lieu of that XL? With the additional lasers in that build a STD may be worth a serious consideration as you can still effectively fight with the loss of a single torso.

#12 0rca

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 December 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

Wubshee is the secret boss in MWO.

I'd say at least three Banshee's variants are quite good, fun and effective. And yes, they are LM, 3E and 3M. Somehow Banshee became my favorite mech, interesting mix of mobility(as assault), raw firepower, focused gameplay and of course STYLE.

#13 Attish

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:30 AM

View Post0rca, on 09 December 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

I'd say at least three Banshee's variants are quite good, fun and effective. And yes, they are LM, 3E and 3M. Somehow Banshee became my favorite mech, interesting mix of mobility(as assault), raw firepower, focused gameplay and of course STYLE.

In the last few weeks i came to the same statement. I really like my Banshees, especially the BNC-3M

#14 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:37 AM

View Post0rca, on 09 December 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

The 3S is no slouch either. Banshee is all around an excellent chassis, top in the IS assault category imho.

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostKalinth, on 08 December 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

Do you perhaps have a STD of similar size that you can utilize in lieu of that XL? With the additional lasers in that build a STD may be worth a serious consideration as you can still effectively fight with the loss of a single torso.
I have the STD of the same size in my 3E (where I've found it to be mandatory), I've been using the current engine as a testbed for XL viability, as I'm considering buying a 380 XL when I can. To date (47 games) I don't remember any instances that I lost a ST before the CT, so given whatever my playstyle is, I think I'm pretty safe in my decision so far. =]

Edited by Tarogato, 09 December 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#16 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 09 December 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

The 3S is no slouch either. Banshee is all around an excellent chassis, top in the IS assault category imho.

S can be a slim-Atlas, or a VERY cheap to build laser boat. NO UPGRADES. 41 heatsinks!

#17 0rca

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

Just tried XL365 + 6 LPL, that's amazing!

#18 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

I like 3 LPL 4 Meds STD350... works well for me and heat is good.

#19 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

Had to like it for the name lol

#20 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

I played 3M quite a bit tryed all kind combinations from 300std to 400 xl.
And 400 xl 2 lpl(lpl range mod) 6mpl(mpl cd and range mod) +bap or ams1ton is so far best thing I piloted in this game nothing beats full alpha.And can alpha 3 times on most maps afther that U can shoot 2lpls few more times.
Thou that is maybe becouze of my playstyle I like to lead and puting more than 2 lpl requires me stare longer I dont like staring part in any of the IS assaults cept stalkers.

Those 4-6lpls builds are fun but I just do much better with anything that can alpha all weapons.

EDIT:
This build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7db389f0a058486 heh diferent armor distribution thou.12-15 on back
1st wep group 2lpls left side shoot
2nd wep group 6mpls for all out combined with 1st wep group
3rd wep group 4 high mounted mpls used for hill hump along with 2lpls or right side shoot only.
Its very imprtant that when U build it U need to insatll MPL 1st than LPLs so that they can be high mounted.
I never had true range isues,ok I lied its very rare that I get cripled by range since I m very agresive.
EDIT2:
This is only assault mech that I feel XL is the way to go and I m one that hates IS XLs in general.Thou today I kinda experimented with 1 mpl less and leg armor down to 59 but installed COMS+BAP and used target info mod its crazy fun when U imediatly get full enemy mech info.

Edited by salkeee, 11 December 2014 - 04:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users