375 replies to this topic

#181 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

I just started experimenting with pingzapper trial. I set up the custom game profile and all.

I was on chigago 1, first game, 500 ping at 9PM like what I was trying to avoid. Yet, I have a good ping to that VPN according to the app.

Then I switched to LA 2 and had a 105 ping which is pretty good. Just to be sure pingzapper was working, I closed it after I died and I immediately disco'd to login screen.

Going to do more testing

Edited by Kin3ticX, 28 January 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#182 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

I still ran into the same high ping issue but I changed some setttings.

I am supposed to enable UDP mode?

Edited by Kin3ticX, 28 January 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#183 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 28 January 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

Yes, you need UDP mode enabled. And for that, you need to pay. Try the one month first. It's cheap, and is working for me.

Was getting 110ms normally with TWC. Spikes up to 600ms in the evening. Pingzapper didn't seem to do anything, until I paid for a month of service and was able to enable UDP. Now I'm getting between 60-70ms with Pingzapper.

#184 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yes - I watched my firewall traffic and the mechlab is TCP traffic, in-drop traffic is UDP. I wasn't sure when I first started with Pingzapper, so I created 2 identical profiles except one was TCP and the other UDP. Using TCP only results in.. I guess a really stable mechlab? :)

I think the chicago servers get overrun - if you do some googling a LOT of people use the Chicago servers as a midpoint between southern clients and northerns servers, and vice versa. I tried the NY server and it was pretty bad.

#185 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

I got a 30-day subscription.

auto mode sends me through NY

Question: On the "server" dropdown option, is that supposed to be my location or the location of PGI's server? I have to choose WEST, CENTRAL, EAST, etc.......

This is separate from the tunnel selection part.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 29 January 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#186 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 29 January 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

I got a 30-day subscription.

auto mode sends me through NY

Question: On the "server" dropdown option, is that supposed to be my location or the location of PGI's server? I have to choose WEST, CENTRAL, EAST, etc.......

This is separate from the tunnel selection part.

Server is the "endpoint", i.e. where your tunnel lets out.

So for me, from So. California, I use chicago since its halfway between me and pgi.
I leave tunnel at Auto.

#187 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 29 January 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Server is the "endpoint", i.e. where your tunnel lets out.

So for me, from So. California, I use chicago since its halfway between me and pgi.
I leave tunnel at Auto.

so you are set to "US Central North"?

#188 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

I get roughly the same pings setting the server to US Central North as I do with US Central South, and I'm located in central Texas.

#189 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

so you are set to "US Central North"?

I personally am - I don't know where you're located, but from what I've seen that's the most popular one.

#190 Vanos

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Very annoyed over the past few months. I have Extreme Internet, 55 download 5 upload, constant speed tests confirm my connection, but with MWO I have the same as every one else in this thread that is also on time warner. My now average 130 ping, that spikes to 600 during evening matches is not very fun for a light pilot that pops when he lag spikes and freezes in place during a fight for enemies to be like, Oh, a stopped Light! A piece of candy! Boom, lag spike ends and I'm dead. As a person that has bought every package so far I have to admit I am very disappointed with the game play lately from this lag. Please do anything you can to push TWC on this issue, and also any mediation with OVH as well. Maybe have them talk to each other.
If we can do anything as TWC customers please let us know, I will step up and do anything that is advised that might help resolve or move the issue forward to resolution.

#191 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Yes, MWO uses the UDP protocol.

View PostVanos, on 29 January 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

Very annoyed over the past few months. I have Extreme Internet, 55 download 5 upload, constant speed tests confirm my connection, but with MWO I have the same as every one else in this thread that is also on time warner. My now average 130 ping, that spikes to 600 during evening matches is not very fun for a light pilot that pops when he lag spikes and freezes in place during a fight for enemies to be like, Oh, a stopped Light! A piece of candy! Boom, lag spike ends and I'm dead. As a person that has bought every package so far I have to admit I am very disappointed with the game play lately from this lag. Please do anything you can to push TWC on this issue, and also any mediation with OVH as well. Maybe have them talk to each other.
If we can do anything as TWC customers please let us know, I will step up and do anything that is advised that might help resolve or move the issue forward to resolution.

Unfortunately, the only options are using a VPN service, or switching ISPs (which is not an option for some of us).

#192 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

Launcher file location (in the 32bit folder)
Posted Image

Main game file location (64bit - the 32bit one is in.... the 32bit folder)
Posted Image

My settings for server - US Centra North (server Chicago2 usually, when I set it to auto it goes to.. chicago2)
Note UDP checkbox (paid acct. required)
Posted Image

I just want to reiterate, this isn't a paid endorsement for pingzapper or anything, I'm not being compensated, I simply found something that works and wanted to share it. If I get a ticket response from pingzapper I'll make sure I share it here. There *are* other services that I tried to do the same thing, as well as my normal vpn provider. None of the other options I tried were either effective, or supported UDP. I was able to get similar (ish, pings 15-20ms higher, but just as stable) by using privateinternetaccess vpn, but that's not gaming-optimized. Good luck, have fun! Give back to the mwo community when you can, you never know when you're going to be the one asking questions :)

Edited by Fierostetz, 29 January 2015 - 06:24 PM.

#193 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

It is just something you have to screw around with. I am in socal. I was getting 105-110 pings setting things as vanilla as possible.

I tried using Server: USWEST, UDP Network, and LA 4 tunnel. I think I am using the maximum pingzapper network that way. I got a 82 ping which is lower than my base ping of 95. Now I just need to test it for a while to make sure I dont get any 600 ping spikes.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 29 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#194 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 29 January 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

It is just something you have to screw around with. I am in socal. I was getting 105-110 pings setting things as vanilla as possible.

I tried using Server: USWEST, UDP Network, and LA 4 tunnel. I think I am using the maximum pingzapper network that way. I got a 82 ping which is lower than my base ping of 95. Now I just need to test it for a while to make sure I dont get any 600 ping spikes.

I will have to play around with the US West servers tonight and see how it goes.

#195 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 29 January 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Launcher file location (in the 32bit folder)
Posted Image

Main game file location (64bit - the 32bit one is in.... the 32bit folder)
Posted Image

My settings for server - US Centra North (server Chicago2 usually, when I set it to auto it goes to.. chicago2)
Note UDP checkbox (paid acct. required)
Posted Image

I just want to reiterate, this isn't a paid endorsement for pingzapper or anything, I'm not being compensated, I simply found something that works and wanted to share it. If I get a ticket response from pingzapper I'll make sure I share it here. There *are* other services that I tried to do the same thing, as well as my normal vpn provider. None of the other options I tried were either effective, or supported UDP. I was able to get similar (ish, pings 15-20ms higher, but just as stable) by using privateinternetaccess vpn, but that's not gaming-optimized. Good luck, have fun! Give back to the mwo community when you can, you never know when you're going to be the one asking questions :)

This may be something cool refine and post in the guide section.

#196 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

Ok, used US West and Auto tonight and had 85ms most of the time, which is very good, although I did have more disconnects than usual.

#197 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

some reddit discussion to check out or contribute

http://www.reddit.co...e_warner_cable/

#198 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

As of this morning...

Posted Image

#199 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostFierostetz, on 31 January 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

As of this morning...

Posted Image

I noticed you don't go through telia when tracing to the website. Those vac3 hops are new for me too. Do you go through telia when you traceroute one of their gameservers? You can get the IP with wireshark or probably a console command.

#200 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 31 January 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

I noticed you don't go through telia when tracing to the website. Those vac3 hops are new for me too. Do you go through telia when you traceroute one of their gameservers? You can get the IP with wireshark or probably a console command.

That is the game server IP I have, mwomercs.com resolves to 192.99.109.192.

As of this morning, with pingzapper, my hitreg is still bonkers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users