194 replies to this topic

#181 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Excellenttes... This is great news. Now we get to actually use the RAM on our computers.

Thanks PGI!

#182 DestructShawn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

I have monitored the RAM use of MWO and I've never seen it over 3GB, so what is the point of a 64-bit client if the RAM usage is never high enough to use over 4GB?

#183 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

Hm.
I do not know if it still works, but there was a user.cfg command to force use of GPU RAM(!). you will have to search the exact syntax in the archives though.

r_TexturesStreaming=0 ; This is the syntax used for Cryengine stuff generally, as per Pada Vinson's files.

or maybe
r_textures_streaming=0 ;whatever, check for yourself if this is correct and how it is spelt. I am giving absolutely NO support on this. your baby. In all respects

I do not know if it is disabled, but that comes from the old custom user.cfg made by PGI to help with slowdowns in the Forest Colony map, back in Closed Beta. So to find that, honestly, good luck to you, and may the archives be complete.

And in the first place, the graphics are tuned for 32 bit systems, so do not expect much change.
;DISCLAIMER I am no faulkner, hardly recall this it is so long ago, and I accept no responsibility for anything untoward. FWIW, use at your own risk, etc.

Ok, found an old file.
This is how it looks, and it must be last in the user.cfg

r_TexturesStreaming = 0

Edited by Hammerhai, 15 January 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#184 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

Client is getting stuck as I go through and unlock the efficiencies on my King Crabs. Played for several hours Monday night with no issues so I don't know whether this is related to the 64 bit client or just a general issue with unlocking efficiencies at the moment. Have to kill the client and restart in order to get through it. Gotten stuck 4 times so far running through the efficiencies on the three mechs.

#185 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

ok, still getting very serious frame rate drops down to <40. Just for your info, using r_TexturesStreaming = 0 in the user.cfg but does not seem to have an effect.

Guess it is disabled.

#186 BlackBirdSR

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Memory with a 32Bit Client is not a flat address space.
Consider the game wants to load a very big texture or level and needs 530 MB of space to allocate for it. But there is no single chunk big enough, as the memory space is fragmented... welcome lower performance and / or crashes.

The 64Bit Client has a huge flat address space, so that there always will be enough free memory chucks, to load something into. But that won't lead to more memory being used. The application wasn't programmed to and a simple compile to 64Bits won't change that.
On the other hand, a game specifically programmed to run only on 64Bit machines will not work on 32Bit systems as there would not be enough free address space even when compiled for 32Bits.

First of all, the 64Bit Client will make it easier for PGI to implement new content and might even prevent some bugs and performance problems in the future. I would not expect more - but of course cheer if there are more advantages ahead.

To sum it up:
A 64Bit version of any game (that also has a 32Bit version) won't use more memory, it won't magically run any faster (for most users) and it won't change anything big right away. But maybe in the future they kill the 32Bit Client and make use of the larger flat memory space.

View PostDestructShawn, on 15 January 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

I have monitored the RAM use of MWO and I've never seen it over 3GB, so what is the point of a 64-bit client if the RAM usage is never high enough to use over 4GB?

#187 ThunderGodThor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

In the current state of the game 64 bit is a waste of time and effort to do. this game doesnt even use much more then 1.5 gb of ram atm. Dont know what the amount of vram its using but i cant think its much more then whats catched into the system ram. So we arnt even close to the 32bit limit of 3.5gb and untill you need it its a waste of time and money to develop for.

#188 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

View PostThunderGodThor, on 18 January 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

In the current state of the game 64 bit is a waste of time and effort to do. this game doesnt even use much more then 1.5 gb of ram atm. Dont know what the amount of vram its using but i cant think its much more then whats catched into the system ram. So we arnt even close to the 32bit limit of 3.5gb and untill you need it its a waste of time and money to develop for.

Simply wrong!
I watched CW already using up to 1,4 GB of my VRAM and up to 3,5 GB of RAM

#189 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

Curious about this, My S.C.B.C. (Super Cyber Battle Cruiser) is 64 bit.
Yet a header in MWO says its running 32 bit despite the patch.
Was the 64-Bit update successful or was it removed?

#190 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

View PostDanny Fubar, on 23 January 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

You can still run 64-bit. It works fine for the majority of people.

#191 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

View PostDanny Fubar, on 23 January 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

Click the cog at the top right of patcher.

#192 Darth Hotz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim of Berlin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

I tried the 64bit client for the last 10 days and had several crashes were the game just seem to close itsself and send me straight to the desktop. No Error report or anything, the game just shut down. So im back with the 32bit client again, were i did not had crashes like this before.

#193 Conrade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

64bit just randomly stopped working for me. The launcher now crashes if I try to launch in 64bit, 32 works fine though.

#194 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

@Funkadelic Mayhem:

Theres lots of older player's here Im 54 I for one played the first Mech games and miss them and old dose not mean old computers I build my own and my 3 son's
I suggest you play Laodout its free and you can run jump kill die re spawn all in 15 seconds you'd be happy there ton's of 12 year old's cursing away good luck to you .

back on topic I run in 64 bit full windowed mod and it stopped crashing or locking up try it guys .

Posted Image

Edited by dr lao, 22 February 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#195 Dirty Old Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi PGI,

THanks for the patch for this 64bit client, did not noticed any great leaps in improvements but in terms of FPS count, perhaps there was like 5 FPS bump up...however, the LRM storm sudden drop to 2 frames has been slightly improved to about 12 frames when in LRM storm...also noticed less chance of getting sudden frame drops when moving through thick black smokes of LRM exhaust as well as burning bodies of other mechs... hope more improvements are otw....(32GB ram with i74XX CPU +DX11+GTX690 setup)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users