9 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

I'm not sure how it would work, exactly. I guess you'd want a Leaderboard to show something like this:
  • Number of planets controlled.
    I.e. planets with this unit's name on it. For every individual player achieving victory on a given planet, the unit gets one token. At the end of an attack phase, the unit with most tokens get their name next to the planet, as I understand it. Planets which aren't under attack will stay under the control of the last unit with control.
  • Weekly victory count.
    Basically, see how many victories each unit has gathered this week. Scores are reset every Monday. Same as above, one individual winning a match = one token. If a 12-man group wins a match, they get 12 tokens. See which unit grabbed more tokens.
I think this would be pretty cool. Right now, it's a bit of a hassle to see which units have control of more planets, especially looking at the huge factions like House Davion. The planet count on the leaderboard wouldn't provide any new information, it would just make it more accessible.

And the weekly victory count would be interesting, because the units getting planet control aren't necessarily the ones winning most matches.

I think a top 5 leaderboard would be pretty cool. Maybe top 10. It could even highlight some of the most dominant units and let them make their mark on the MWO timeline, once PGI gets back to wrting ISN news reports and stuff like that.

Or would it lead to complete chaos, ten galactic plagues and the end of MWO as we know it?

FAQ.

Q: Why not just look at the map to see which faction is winning?
A: Because some faction start out in really good positions, others in really bad positions. Some start out with many worlds, others with few worlds. The galaxy map doesn't really tell you much about which units are getting the victories. For example, the unit getting the highest number victories per week may be fighting for Liao, and Liao could still be losing because they're just getting swarmed by various Davion and Marik units, or hordes of pugs.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 19 December 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

Posted Image

#3 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

What it will mean is that it would be likely the unit with the most active players will win the leaderboard. I am sure there will be quality vs quantity but overall it will be a great marketing tool for established leaderboard represented Units to grow further.

I can see good and bad issues coming out of this.
  • Larger units will probably grow out of smaller units disbanding
  • Larger and less units for each faction could co-ordinate CW better
  • It could create some form of true factional leadership roles
  • New players may not feel they have a choice but to join larger units. Then again smaller units might not even care about leaderboards and unit numbers remain stable.
Interesting concept certainly worth discussing.

Cheers!
Eboli

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think a KISS principle is in order.
  • Unit Name
  • Unit Membership Count
  • Wins
  • Loses
  • W/L ratio
  • Roster
First we need a list of all units in the game just so we don't have to guess what CWI or GK or whatever unit tag is displayed stands for.

Second membership counts. This is important so that people understand the relative power of the Unit. Obviously a Unit with 10 members isn't going to be a power but a unit with 100 members or more is going to potential be decisive mover and shaker.

Wins, Losses and Win Loss ratio - This is important because a small unit of say 30 members that is winning and winning alot is obviously a quality unit and a force to be reckoned with even if they are small. Conversely, a unit with 500 members but can't win for squat might not be a concern despite the number.

Roster. Ok lets be honest. There needs to be an way for and outsider to click on a unit and see who is actually in it.

#5 Stormfury

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationThe Verse!

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'd just prefer for some form of news feed telling us of which planets are under attack, what has been lost/gained by each faction etc. I don't really need to see specific units so much as it would be nice to be immersed in the actual meta game. Right now, I have to visit Reddit (which I rarely do) just to find out what planets are changing hands.

It's NEVER a good thing when you have to visit someone else's website to get engrossed in your game's meta game... Kind of shocked they didn't have this in already.

#6 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

I like this idea it would fit well into my idea about bidding on Mercenary Unit services.

http://mwomercs.com/...ces-in-phase-3/

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 19 December 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

I didn't get that reference.

View PostViktor Drake, on 19 December 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

I think a KISS principle is in order.
  • Unit Name
  • Unit Membership Count
  • Wins
  • Loses
  • W/L ratio
  • Roster

How can you cite the KISS principle and then make this infinitely more complex? Come on, son! :D

I would like everything you're suggesting, but it's more than I dare hope for, tbh.

View PostStormfury, on 19 December 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

It's NEVER a good thing when you have to visit someone else's website to get engrossed in your game's meta game... Kind of shocked they didn't have this in already.

Just be happy we don't have to check Russ' twitter feed to find out.

#8 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostEboli, on 19 December 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I can see good and bad issues coming out of this.
  • Larger units will probably grow out of smaller units disbanding
  • Larger and less units for each faction could co-ordinate CW better
  • It could create some form of true factional leadership roles
  • New players may not feel they have a choice but to join larger units. Then again smaller units might not even care about leaderboards and unit numbers remain stable

This is the same issue for most MMOs though. And while a leaderboard may contribute to that tendency, MWO doesn't (yet) have any features that require people pooling their resources. In Star Citizen, people are joining big units because of capital ships, for example. In WoW, people are joining big units in order to get help from people with different skills, like enchanting or crafting. In MWO, the only advantage from a big unit is... well, possibly more people to play with at your own skill level, whatever that may be. And a bigger chance to join 12-mans instead of smaller groups.

The tendency to form big units is often much stronger in other games, without causing problems. So while I agree there will be a few negative consequences, I think the positive consequences are more significant.

#9 ZealotTheFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

All clanners want is to see their great work rolling IS thats all it is another reason to add to the vomit coming out of the clanners in the forums. We are the greatest, the rest of you are crap, etc. Game is just do for out of wack , this will never be a fair fight in this game and on the maps they give.

#10 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

The leaderboard can be found when looking at the map....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users