Pgi's Achievement List Since They Separated From Igp

35 replies to this topic

#1 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

First, a big thank you to PGI, Russ, et al. for killing it in the last quarter of the year. I just wanted to throw this out as a bit of a recap on just what level of heavy lifting they have done since IGP and PGI went separate ways in September:

1. Unit's were implemented
2. New maps--mining collective and veridian bog
3. Clan wave II mechs began delivery
4. Rewards 2.0
5. IS quirks 1.0
6. IS quirks 1.1
7.Gargoyle and King Crab Dropped early
8. Community Warfare Beta (hooray!)--edit: delivered with two maps and two more announced in the works
9. 64 Bit client experimental release (who was even expecting this? Many are stating very positive boosts)
10. Activate banked PT in 30 day chunks
11. Resistance pack pre-order
12. Gift store created and getting filled out
13. Massively improved communication to the community, though I would suggest pre-recording the town hall meetings, you sounded absolutely exhausted at this last one Russ (can't blame you though).
14. Release of CW map (edit: API and JSON) data to the community to allow us to create stuff outside of the client (clarification: not mapmaking tools)

I'm sure I'm missing some other major steps since September. Someone shout them out.

Freedom from IGP feels good, doesn't it? You guys have been killing it in the fourth quarter 2014. Now get some rest and come into 2015 guns blazing!

Edited by Big Tin Man, 19 December 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

This list isn't exactly flattering, so I'm not sure if this is intended as a troll thread, or sarcastic.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Don't forget that CW came with TWO completely new maps too....

PGI has done an outstanding job (and I'd argue pre-IGP split too considering all the stuff they put up with and not allowed to go forward with apparently).

#4 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

They've made some great headway since the separation. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of issues that need to be addressed (ex: new player experience) before I see the "light at the end of the tunnel," or feel comfortable shelling out more money.

#5 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

@Roland

For three months of work (mid September to mid December), I'm absolutely serious. They've been getting after it compared to the 9 months before that and dealing with IGP nonsense.

In short, in the town hall where the general message was that IGP was obstructing development and delivery of MWO pieces, they apparently were. Once that weight was shed, there has basically been a new PGI that has emerged. Is there still a road in front of them to flush stuff out and deliver more, sure. Is it worth acknowledging that they've made massive positive steps since doing so, yes.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 19 December 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#6 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

Compared to the train-wreck that was the 2013 year when it came to this game/company and the public, the last half of 2014 has been astonishing on many levels.

#7 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

Still a few issues, but the increased progress speed is certainly great to see. I had swore just after Phoenix came out that I would never give PGI a dime again, and here I am with a Gargoyle pack. They have really stepped up the development. CW certainly has plenty of issues with the game mode and the hot map is pretty meh, but overall it's been fun.

My two biggest issues:
-Hit registration for things with multiple projectiles - my clan UAC2 registers about 50% of the time, LBXAC5 about 70% of the time, and my clan SRMs are basically worthless because of this issue plus their crazy spread.
-Too much grind still - I don't have any modules despite having so many mastered mechs because I used all the money I was saving for modules on Clan mechs. New mechs come out at a fast enough rate that I have to choose between modules and mechs, and I don't like that. For comparison, when I play 2-3 LoL games a day every day I can get every champ as they come out AND have extra to save for other things. The equivalent 8-12 MWO matches a day will get me a couple Clan mechs a month, maybe, and is entirely dependent on my skills in-game (don't get me wrong, I do pretty well especially in my bread and butter YLW). For a new player the grind is even longer - one of my friends only has a couple chassis in his mechlab, no elited mechs, and averages about 50-200 damage per normal match - so his money is almost entirely based on teammate skill right now.

#8 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

Wait, they are releasing map data for community maps?!

#9 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 19 December 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Wait, they are releasing map data for community maps?!

No, they released the API and JSON information for the CW galaxy map that is updated every 15 minutes. They did not release community mapmaking tools for cry-engine. I will clarify that.

#10 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostRoland, on 19 December 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

This list isn't exactly flattering, so I'm not sure if this is intended as a troll thread, or sarcastic.

Posted Image

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Damn, nothing makes you happy. Here, look at these pictures of puppies and try to have a better day.

#12 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

This is also the list of "accomplishments" since Transverse tanked and burned. Pretty sure that is the impetus as opposed to the IGP scapegoat. I mean progress, such that it is, is progress, but I think it's silly to say that the separation from IGP is the only event that occured prior to these changes to use as a barometer.

#13 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

This is also the list of "accomplishments" since Transverse tanked and burned. Pretty sure that is the impetus as opposed to the IGP scapegoat. I mean progress, such that it is, is progress, but I think it's silly to say that the separation from IGP is the only event that occured prior to these changes to use as a barometer.

Damn, nothing makes you happy. Here, look at these pictures of puppies and try to have a better day.

#14 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 19 December 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

@Roland

For three months of work (mid September to mid December), I'm absolutely serious. They've been getting after it compared to the 9 months before that and dealing with IGP nonsense.

In short, in the town hall where the general message was that IGP was obstructing development and delivery of MWO pieces, they apparently were. Once that weight was shed, there has basically been a new PGI that has emerged. Is there still a road in front of them to flush stuff out and deliver more, sure. Is it worth acknowledging that they've made massive positive steps since doing so, yes.

Roland is never going to admit that Piranha's made positive steps at any time, ever. S'far as he and his are concerned, CW is three years late, and the fact that CW was three years late is the only thing that will ever matter. Because CW was three years late, Piranha can never do anything else correctly ever again. Trying to get him to acknowledge that the company's changed direction at all, let alone that it even might be picking up steam, is unfortunately an exercise in futility.

#15 Jimmy Page

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOh1O

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

It might have more to do with the fact they stopped working on their "other" game and actually have people working on MWO

#16 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Was Transverse a PGI thing, or an IGP thing?

Eh, what can ya' do.

#17 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 19 December 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Eh, what can ya' do.

PGI all the way it would appear. All's I'm saying is some people want to pin every bad thing on IGP and PGI certainly does. It's convenient to use some one who isn't around to defend themselves as the bad guy. I think the utterly spectacular crash and burn of PGI's non hostage IP product showed them where they needed to focus. Whatever the reason there has clearly been more effort spent on MWO, which honestly is damning with faint praise, and there has been progress. As I said I'm personally tired of the split with IGP being used as the only marker to judge this from. The Transverse failure is the big factor in my opinion. Still better no matter how you slice it.

#18 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 19 December 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Eh, what can ya' do.

Has to be an IGP thing... no person who plays games would think that there would be any room in the market to compete in the Star Citizen (a game made by a known A-list designer in the genre) vs EVE online (estabilshed juggernaut) battle... unless they were an "industry clueless" exec doing what the text books tell them.

Edited by LORD ORION, 19 December 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#19 ollo

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 19 December 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm sure I'm missing some other major steps since September. Someone shout them out.

Freedom from IGP feels good, doesn't it? You guys have been killing it in the fourth quarter 2014. Now get some rest and come into 2015 guns blazing!

So, does that erase them from the naughty list now?

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

When you consider thier track record over the previous 2 years, it's spectacular. If you compare it against almost anything else, it's OK. Especially when you take into account things that they were working on before the split with IGP.

For now I will take the point the OP is trying to make, "It's better".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users