257 replies to this topic

#221 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

View Postjackal40, on 24 December 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Based upon my brief observations over the past two days, CW has gotten worse not better. Yes, we can now see how many players are queued for a given planet.

Why are there 60+ people queued up to attack and defend four or five worlds each? This makes the wait time longer, not shorter.

Also, this stupid holiday truce has limited the number of attackers as well. It's a shame that certain unit leaders decided it was better to NOT play CW during the holidays when many of us actually have the time to play.

These are just my opinions - yours may vary.

I'm not singling you out, I'm just going to use your post to explain how the planetary queue works.

There are now 15 zones, that means that there is the potential for 15 matches to be going on simultaneously per planet. If the matchmaker kicks off 1 match per minute (which IIRC Russ stated was the quickest the MM will fire off after the last match is created), and after tetrising together a 12 player team from each side, that means that once the queues are filled, there are 312 players fighting on that planet. Yes, the 60+ number is annoying, I'd much rather if it showed the total number queued, or at the very least, reflect the active matches and the 156 max per side number.

In the worst of edge cases, each of those matches goes 30 minutes, and with the staggered launches at 1 per minute, the MAXIMUM wait time, during peak hours, is 15 minutes.

This doesn't mean that YOUR queue is going to fire off after 1 minute during peak time, it means that A match is being fired off. If it is unable to resolve a 12 player group for the queue your in, it will continue to try (I have actually been in a few queues where a group of 5 I was on TS with was pulled out of the queue we were in and placed w/ another group in the interest of making 12) . And while it is FIFO, it is biased towards making 12 as easily as possible (take a moment to reflect the number of combinations necessary to make 12 with people forming a group of any size from 1-12, this is why I've always been an advocate for even numbered groups, even going back to the PUB queue days).

The problem you're seeing is that there is a common misconception that there are more that 15 battles being fought on a planet at any given moment. (something I'm trying to beat into people on the House Marik TS server) and that flooding a planet with more people means your going to win it faster. It doesnt. It just means that there are more people in the queue and it's going to use them to create 12 faster. Yes, this actually makes the queue times shorter for Solos/small groups or 12 player groups but you are still at the theoretical cap of 15min as the max queue time, and are waiting for one of those 15 battles to resolve.

If you're experiencing longer than 10 minutes queue times (which is when it's supposed to fire off a turret drop) that means that all 15 zones are occupied, and your group is of an odd size that makes creating a full drop problematic., and you should probably go to one of the other planets, since that queue is stuffed beyond max.

Hope this makes some sense to a lot of people and you get a better grasp of whats going on.

Edited by Roadbeer, 24 December 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#222 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

I play solo in CW all the time and love it.

CW is meant to be challenging; it's hardcore mode. You can't expect to play hardcore mode as a solo player and not have it be extremely challenging (if not downright frustrating at times).

#223 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

PUG's choice, I'd rather play against other 12 man teams.

#224 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

After a quick scan I think Roadbeer got it right. Usually the 15 zones won't be full beyond the last couple hour scramble.

In short there are still a dozen more ways we can improve and increase the amount of information to players and we will begin chipping away at that list early in the new year.

But in the meantime Roadbeer is correct, if your in that final couple of hours of CW and you see 60+ on both sides of planet and you queue up with a 12 man these are the possible options.

You see quickly that your just counting down from 60 seconds - great you got a full 12v12 match and its going to be important for your faction that you stick it out and finish it off.

If you see that you have a 10 minute countdown - this means there is a free zone to fight over still but you dont have an opposing team and again its worth it for your faction to stick out the 10 minute countdown and win it for your faction - although in busy periods on busy planets I think this absolutely will never happen - opponents will show up before the 10 mintues is complete.

The last option is you and your 12 man queue up and you just start counting up and up and up, this means the zones are full and you are waiting for one to free up before you will be placed into queue and you will get one of the two scenarios described above.

In that final case it is likely best that you take your 12 man over to another important planet and look for a free zone there.

Hope this helps some - spread and word and we will work on better info for players as we move forward.

#225 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 24 December 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Hope this helps some

Thx, and Merry X-Mass :)

#226 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Back to the original topic....yes this is all you are gonna get, it sucks, it's embarrassing and pathetic but I guess it's better than any other mech game out there.

I haven't played in at least a few months where I actually tried to win, last couple of times was just a single match and then done for several weeks or a month.

Not seeing anything thats getting me interested in playing again.

#227 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 24 December 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Back to the original topic....yes this is all you are gonna get, it sucks, it's embarrassing and pathetic but I guess it's better than any other mech game out there.

I haven't played in at least a few months where I actually tried to win, last couple of times was just a single match and then done for several weeks or a month.

Not seeing anything thats getting me interested in playing again.

When can we expect another of your ridiculous "i quit" announcements? The forums just aren't the same without you quitting every other day.

#228 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

View Postvolon12, on 24 December 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

i think the worst problem in this game about groups is this plain and simple. some people are whiny. some people feel the need to lord over peeps for imaginary skills. yeah big whoop you can move your mouse and aim and click real fast. good job. its attitude that makes you a good gamer. skill in games is really about your brain and using it. alot of you large groups on these forums dont have that all you have is clan advantage and reflexes and drills. (seriously who does drills in a GAME.if you think thats fun join the army.) The only unit i have seen that was honorable and skilled was the 228th. and they are is. All the rest except for one or two members are all reflex and drills. bah what a boring way to spend your time. respect goes a long way to making you a good group...a good player. haven't seen alot of that on the forums and in game.

It's a first person shooter at the heart of its gameplay. FPS games require players to hone twitch reflexes, practice drills, and coordinate fire. That's how competitive teams work in FPS games.

Since you seem to not enjoy that, might I suggest another game genre that doesn't require twitch reflexes? RTS games are what you want if you want to, "use your brain."

I still find it massively funny how people use the argument of, "Big whoop, you can aim a mouse," or how it implies the majority of players can shoot accurately with ease, which (I may add) is certainly not the case in MWO.

#229 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 24 December 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

After a quick scan I think Roadbeer got it right. Usually the 15 zones won't be full beyond the last couple hour scramble.

In short there are still a dozen more ways we can improve and increase the amount of information to players and we will begin chipping away at that list early in the new year.

But in the meantime Roadbeer is correct, if your in that final couple of hours of CW and you see 60+ on both sides of planet and you queue up with a 12 man these are the possible options.

You see quickly that your just counting down from 60 seconds - great you got a full 12v12 match and its going to be important for your faction that you stick it out and finish it off.

If you see that you have a 10 minute countdown - this means there is a free zone to fight over still but you dont have an opposing team and again its worth it for your faction to stick out the 10 minute countdown and win it for your faction - although in busy periods on busy planets I think this absolutely will never happen - opponents will show up before the 10 mintues is complete.

The last option is you and your 12 man queue up and you just start counting up and up and up, this means the zones are full and you are waiting for one to free up before you will be placed into queue and you will get one of the two scenarios described above.

In that final case it is likely best that you take your 12 man over to another important planet and look for a free zone there.

Hope this helps some - spread and word and we will work on better info for players as we move forward.

Misread the above, since it's talking about 12-man groups. Hope that you improve the visual of a queue so a smaller group can figure out how long the wait might be. 30+ min wait times are ridiculous.

Edited by jackal40, 24 December 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#230 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

View Postjackal40, on 24 December 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Misread the above, since it's talking about 12-man groups. Hope that you improve the visual of a queue so a smaller group can figure out how long the wait might be. 30+ min wait times are ridiculous.

Read my post at the top of the page and it explains exactly how the queue works for everyone, not just 12, and it's the post that Russ was referencing.

If you're in the queue and it's counted to 30 minutes, and nobody is in the queue with you, you're on an empty planet, and you're doing it wrong.

All the tools necessary to figure out where the fighting is, is right on the map, they can't make it any simpler for you.

Edited by Roadbeer, 24 December 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#231 Menetius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

As a solo player that successfully coordinated a 100% PUG defense and won, I have trouble empathizing with the topic-creator.

Forgive my short-speak: inb4clansOP.

Edited by Menetius, 24 December 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#232 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 19 December 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Good job people for making PGI rush CW. Now we have all the fun little things like spawn camping, buggy maps, exploitable objects and such. Good times.

You think delivering CW two years late is rushing it? :lol:

#233 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

I am in no doubt that CW was rushed out as it would have made sense to start it off with just the IS warring amongst them selves and then adding the clan invasion. But PGI were chasing the money so did the clan invasion then CW with clan content.

No doubt they could have had a more robust testing (beta) or whatever you want to call it with just IS infighting.

#234 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:06 AM

why are people still complaining about teamwork in a teamwork oriented game mode. join a damn team and have some fun. [Redacted].

Edited by John Wolf, 03 January 2015 - 05:57 AM.
Keep JC out of it.

#235 Troopie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:09 AM

View Postredlance, on 25 December 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

why are people still complaining about teamwork in a teamwork oriented game mode. join a damn team and have some fun. [Redacted].

Like sitting for 10 minutes to get some turrets.
Quite user experience.

Why not auto win when this happens.
Even this is the nature of game, ten minutes auto win would not be bad case.

Edited by John Wolf, 03 January 2015 - 05:57 AM.
Moderated Quote

#236 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostFelix7007, on 19 December 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Why do people insist on penalizing cooperation in a multiplayer game?

Because teamwork is OP and needs to be nerfed DUH!!! Where the hell have you been pal everyone knows that.

#237 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 19 December 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Good job people for making PGI rush CW. Now we have all the fun little things like spawn camping, buggy maps, exploitable objects and such. Good times.

View Postztac, on 25 December 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

I am in no doubt that CW was rushed out as it would have made sense to start it off with just the IS warring amongst them selves and then adding the clan invasion. But PGI were chasing the money so did the clan invasion then CW with clan content.

Rush it? They are 2 years late on their promise to deliver it!!!!!

But for the tournanment, I would never play CW. I just tried and gave up after a 65 min wait (I went and played League of Legends instead). I've played 12 matches and won 3 - defending against PUGs with PUGs.

PGI saddens me with their efforts - or pure money grab. I could literally mow a football field with scissors one blade of grass at a time faster than I could grind enough C-bills to own the full game content. It astonishes me that they need (it's actually want) $100s of dollars from each player to earn money, when MW4 only needed $40. The average income is almost identical now to what it was then - and technology actually costs less now.

As for those people saying PUGs should simply not play CW, well they would not have a game to play at all without PUGs. Do people really have that low an understanding of life? That mindset is the same as cutting off your head to save your life from the bubble gum in your hair.

Edited by Strikeshadow, 26 December 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#238 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Some people don't want to join a unit just to play a game. Some players don't want to care about dropdecks and team strategy and just drop and have fun. Atm CW is a dead place for me as I just want to spend the time and don't have the nerve to join a unit. I know CW hardcore yada yada yada dedicated players yada yada yada playground for units yada yada yada...

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 26 December 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#239 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 25 December 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

You think delivering CW two years late is rushing it? :lol:

Can U imagine if they worked 2 years on CW how would it be ?

#240 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostAresye, on 24 December 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

It's a first person shooter at the heart of its gameplay. FPS games require players to hone twitch reflexes, practice drills, and coordinate fire. That's how competitive teams work in FPS games.

Since you seem to not enjoy that, might I suggest another game genre that doesn't require twitch reflexes? RTS games are what you want if you want to, "use your brain."

I still find it massively funny how people use the argument of, "Big whoop, you can aim a mouse," or how it implies the majority of players can shoot accurately with ease, which (I may add) is certainly not the case in MWO.

You are wrong. MWO is not, or should not be, a twitch reflex game. It should be a tactical shooter. Since you do not know the difference, don't lecture people from your ignorance.

Edited by Strikeshadow, 26 December 2014 - 09:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users