View PostBigbacon, on 12 January 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I must try this! I love UAV hunting

...PULL!

#42 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

They are not that hard to shoot down and don't have that many hitpoints.

When you aim at them, wait for the range indicator to go from "infinity" to an actual number in meters - when that happens, you're dead on target and a few good shots will down them.

#43 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

View Postloupgaroupoilu, on 20 December 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hi

During last game, my team launched 5 UAVs...
Each one is killed in seconds !

So...

How do they do that ?

Is there a clue when an ennemy uav is upon you or something is very weird ?

I LOVE killing UAV's, the second i see that streamer heading skyward, I will do my best to make you waste 40K

and its MADDENING to have short range weapons, one comes up, we're taking a beating, I'm typing in the chat bar, "UAV above our heads, kill it" and no one does.
I will go out of my way, risk damage time and time again to knock one down. My record is 4, and I think that should be a medal in the achievements

RISK REMOVED: kill 3 UAV's
DENIAL: kill 5UAV's
MILLIONAIRES CLUB: Kill 25 UAV's cause you just robbed a cool million in cbills!!

#44 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 19 January 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

I LOVE killing UAV's, the second i see that streamer heading skyward, I will do my best to make you waste 40K

and its MADDENING to have short range weapons, one comes up, we're taking a beating, I'm typing in the chat bar, "UAV above our heads, kill it" and no one does.
I will go out of my way, risk damage time and time again to knock one down. My record is 4, and I think that should be a medal in the achievements

RISK REMOVED: kill 3 UAV's
DENIAL: kill 5UAV's
MILLIONAIRES CLUB: Kill 25 UAV's cause you just robbed a cool million in cbills!!

What about "Premature elevation" award for smacking one down as it's launched, before it gets to broadcast height? :P

#45 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

Yesterday I was in my Kitty in canyon, I killed 3 uav in a row in less than a minute..... and enemy team had at least 3 lrm-boats :)

Not cheat, but...it's always good to look at the sky, aim with calm, and shoot. It can save the match.

#46 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

View PostC J Sparrow, on 20 January 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

What about "Premature elevation" award for smacking one down as it's launched, before it gets to broadcast height? :P

o...m...g...

I love it

Last night I was in Manifold being a sneak up on the wall in my spider, I heard a noise and this UAV shows up RIGHT next to me. It...made...a....noise... It was barely 20-30 meters away from me. Bigger than I thought it would be.
I blasted it before thinking to grab a screen. It was glorious, I wanted to catch it and name it.
...it has four little pulse jets keeping it up. This one didn't float up and down as much as I've seen..closest I've been to a live one (who hasn't had the one they just sent up, come back down at their feet smoking sputtering sparks? ammirite??

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 20 January 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

Yesterday I was in my Kitty in canyon, I killed 3 uav in a row in less than a minute..... and enemy team had at least 3 lrm-boats :)

Not cheat, but...it's always good to look at the sky, aim with calm, and shoot. It can save the match.

its maddening to be in the ELO that I have to be in, and STILL an enemy UAV will hover over our heads, me typing in frantically and unable to do anything with some of the builds I run, or that dam dire like some drunk cow unable to look "up" high enough to shoot

#47 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 22 January 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

o...m...g...

I love it

Last night I was in Manifold being a sneak up on the wall in my spider, I heard a noise and this UAV shows up RIGHT next to me. It...made...a....noise... It was barely 20-30 meters away from me. Bigger than I thought it would be.
I blasted it before thinking to grab a screen. It was glorious, I wanted to catch it and name it.
...it has four little pulse jets keeping it up. This one didn't float up and down as much as I've seen..closest I've been to a live one (who hasn't had the one they just sent up, come back down at their feet smoking sputtering sparks? ammirite??

its maddening to be in the ELO that I have to be in, and STILL an enemy UAV will hover over our heads, me typing in frantically and unable to do anything with some of the builds I run, or that dam dire like some drunk cow unable to look "up" high enough to shoot

hahaha, yes, when rain appears many time I look at the sky for UAV.
If I cannot shhot at it, then I wrote "shoot at uav"...and nothing happens.
So here are 2 possibilities, or teamates cannot read chat, or they are wondering "who's uav?...there is no enemy mech with such a name....whatever...."
And ironically after a minute of intense rain some teammates use to type "WOAAAaa... so many lrm!!! aren't you able to fight without hiding? fight like a man!" :D

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 22 January 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#48 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

^ gawd, aint that the painful thruth?

die under a hailstorm of LRM's and then the guy types "LRM losers" (or worse), never aware he was standing in the open, and UNDER a UAV..

#49 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:19 AM

People dont even know they can be seen and shotdown.
Its not like the game ever explains it, cant even recall a loading screen tip about them?

I know them now and look for them. But as a beginner all the "shoot the UAV!" chat doesnt help when you have no idea what this mystical device looks like and by the time the LRM is coming down you dont have time to stand in the open staring at the sky for a UFO or whatever is supposed to be up there. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No its a blue dot.

My ELO now is UAV spam from every light in the match, plus I have BAP on some builds so always on the lookout.
I drop them myself every match so am developing the instinct for where they will be and that the light which just buzzed through probably dropped one.
But for someone who has never played the light roll I can understand how they have no clue about them, friendly UAVs are just this blue target on the map far away to shoot LRM at and unless you have BAP there is nothing to indicate to look for the red ones.

No wonder people are confused when there is no user manual for the game and most of the information on the web is obsolete due to nerfing and feature changes.

#50 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

Spotting and shooting UAV's isn't that hard once you have used them yourself a couple times. I often find myself in situations where i think 'hm, if i was them, i'd totally try to drop an UAV there', check for it and 50% chance that there really is one.
Another way to spot it is by getting targeted when you are sure that they shouldn't be able to see you right now, especially when using the Radar Dep. module. That usually either means that they have a spotter or a UAV.

If you have trouble shooting down one yourself, look at the range meter in your crosshair section. It usually shows ∞ when aiming at the sky but shows a finite value when you directly aim at the UAV.

#51 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

laser range is borked with uav's, small pulses can kill them at 1000+

#52 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Enemy UAVs show up on my minimap when I'm standing directly beneath them. I'm not sure if it is only when I have BAP equipped.

Edited by Donnerkeil666, 25 January 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#53 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:09 AM

You can see UAV fly up from the mech and regular UAV checks.

#54 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

View Postzudukai, on 25 January 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

laser range is borked with uav's, small pulses can kill them at 1000+

I've noticed this too, been shooting down a lot of UAVs with smalls from silly ranges.

#55 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

Ive played organized games where a light is usually assigned to UAV look out along with checking flanks while the main engagement happens.

BAPs great for UAV hunting, its easy c-bills. Love poping and killing those UAVs.

#56 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

View Postloupgaroupoilu, on 20 December 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hi

During last game, my team launched 5 UAVs...
Each one is killed in seconds !

So...

How do they do that ?

Is there a clue when an ennemy uav is upon you or something is very weird ?

- Easy to see when it's launched.
- If mechs run into the enemy group, people expect them to launch a UAV and keep their eyes open.
- Wrong spot for a UAV. Have to launch it where either the opponents can't attack it or where they can't get aware of it.

#57 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostDonnerkeil666, on 25 January 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Enemy UAVs show up on my minimap when I'm standing directly beneath them. I'm not sure if it is only when I have BAP equipped.

I was going to mention this too. I have BAP on nearly all my mechs, so I see the red UAV icon pop up on my minimap quite often.

#58 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

I only really found out about UAV's from watching Sean on NGNG. Having seen him play I'm a lot more aware of UAV's in play and how important it is to take them out ASAP.

#59 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

+1 To dropping an artie at the same time as a UAV. Another trick I'll try to use is getting in close behind the enemy and popping a UAV there. Most don't look behind them.

Also, popping a UAV just on the other side of a tall building in frozen city or the crystals on tourmaline. The enemy can't see it to shoot it down, but thy still detect the enemy mechs.

Edited by mailin, 01 February 2015 - 05:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users