Make 3 Attack Cycles

28 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote and make CW really interesting! (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need 3 cycles?

1. Yes, it's really funny! (70 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. Nope, i usually play as a robot at the same time...) (5 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

Dear Developers!
Please, make attack phase 8 hours each and 1-hour ceasfire between them.
The reason for this is to move the phases of attack throughout timezones around the world. Each 9 days per whole circle time. It means slightly more than 3 circle time per month. More dynamic, action and the surprise effect in CW. And the gamers or units from all over the world can get fun by log in to the game at anytime and get to the beginning or ending of phase.
about 3 phases per day - chance more than three times to do something in CW, compared with the current situation.
perhaps in the future...
- next step of development is add more mess for CW - for 27-hr period make attack phases not 8-hr each, but change it randomly every cycle.
for examle: 6+1+10+1+8+1=27. next period another values, but equal 27-hr.
- and logical conclusion for CW to make periods not 27-hr, but change it randomly too - every attack phase from 6+1 to 12+1. any attacker or defender will get the duration of attack phase after start it. universal chaos!
Thank you. And sorry for my english)

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 12 January 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#2 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:52 AM

Yes ! Ten times yes ! Whatever we do in EU currently is USELESS CW wise. Having that change would be nice.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

you should change your post to ( 3 7hr, with 1hr ceasefire between) = 24

#4 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 06 January 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

you should change your post to ( 3 7hr, with 1hr ceasefire between) = 24

nope - it should be more or less than 24 hours. to move attack cycles throughout timezones around the world. my variant is plus 3 hours each day. day by day. this is meaning.

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 06 January 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#5 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostSuperPignouf, on 06 January 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

Yes ! Ten times yes ! Whatever we do in EU currently is USELESS CW wise. Having that change would be nice.

thank you. if you like it, please tell about this vote to your MWO-friends)

#6 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostRSV Anthrax, on 06 January 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

nope - it should be more or less than 24 hours. to move attack cycles throughout timezones around the world. my variant is plus 3 hours each day. day by day. this is meaning.

The one part which is a little tricky is the placement of the ceasefire hour. With a rotating cycle of 27 hours, any given four-hour period of time will have a ceasefire hour in it for one day out of three, and some periods will have two days out of three (depending on the start time for the cycle). That might well cause problems for organised groups -- or just people who play for a few hours, a few days a week.

I like the concept of breaking up the day into segments, and of staggering the endpoint of the segments such that different timezones each get a turn at the playing that "last hour" that makes all the difference. For it to work though, I think the cycle would need to be regular, and then to be manually adjusted periodically. Thinking in GMT (as it's easiest to do timezone calcs from), you might start by having ceasefires from midnight-1am, 8am-9am and 4pm-5pm, and keep that for (e.g.) 1 week. Then you adjust the cycle by -5 hours, so the ceasefire periods end at a practical time for EST players for 1 week. Then you adjust by a further -3 hours so PST players have convenient ceasefires. Repeat/adjust for all of the timezones you need to accommodate.

1 week may be too long, or too short, I'm not sure, but if the cycle progresses every day it would be messy.

Edited by Ano, 06 January 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#7 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostAno, on 06 January 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

if the cycle progresses every day it would be messy.

it may be funny and looks like real life)
in your scheme all periods can be calculated in advance and players must wait 1 or 2 weeks for they practical time to play. this is too long.
i think next step of development is add more mess for CW - for 27-hr period make attack phases not 8-hr each, but change it randomly every cycle.
for examle: 6+1+10+1+8+1=27. next period another values, but equal 27-hr.
and logical conclusion for CW to make periods not 27-hr, but change it randomly too. any attacker or defender will get the duration of attack phase after start it. universal chaos!

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 06 January 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#8 JAxik

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Great idea

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

I want an attack cycle for my mech to ride around on

#10 Bagor Aga

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 530 posts
  • Locationramat.:gan

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

There is presumption that NA time and EU are different windows which I find tricky to prove. What is obvious - there is variable density of units in time zones. By dividing 24h in fractions you address some circumstances but they will be changed after model affects ppl. So you need to clarify what is your view on problem and what to do if assumption will fail. Else your idea is only lucky guess.

Time fractions are not obviously equal because different population play MWO in zones; 3 Hours is duration of prime time for every zone, that means your model could miss goals with too big change please name goals; Your circle is rolling forth but could be rolling back in time as well or tilting forth-back;

Whole change is based on current claim mechanic. In my opinion it is badly copied from regular game modes. Your approach could fix some issues but not the bigger problem - Claim mechanic must provide equal abilities for big and small teams (less than 12 men party), big and small units (with 12+ ppl in roaster), big and small fractions (1+ competitive unit in time zone as example). You see, model is part of game design (which is currently unclear or lacking sense).

But 3-fraction window with rotation is far better than we have now.

#11 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostRSV Anthrax, on 06 January 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

in your scheme all periods can be calculated in advance and players must wait 1 or 2 weeks for they practical time to play. this is too long.

Actually, that's probably not the case -- for example, GMT/UTC and PST (-8) are actually aligned on an 8-hour window, so when the cycle is working for one, it's working for the other too. Periodicity etc could be adjusted, and a little time spend on a timezone map by PGI could let them figure out how their player demographics line up with with time offsets.

While I like the idea of chaotic systems in the abstract, I think the practical result of this would be very off-putting. I personally don't want to have to consult the "PGI ceasefire calendar" EVERY DAY to find out whether I can play after work, and I'd imagine it would make it very difficult for units to organise. I'm not in a unit in MWO yet, but when I've played other MMOs in the past, having a regular schedule for guild events (Mon 8-11 raid, Thurs 8-11 PVP night etc) made it easy for people to make arrangements to attend. If unit practices or CW nights change days/times every week, that's will make it difficult for people who can't play every day or are only available for specific time periods.

There's still the core of a good idea here somewhere, but I think it needs serious thought AND access to PGI's player demographics and playtimes data to really come up with a practical iteration. Hopefully they're already considering some variation...

#12 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

View PostAno, on 07 January 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

anyway, you can play after work or weekend only, sometimes at night time. like me and many others.
in my first scheme you can join game at anytime (about 3 phases per day) - chance more than three times to do something in CW, compared with the current situation.

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 07 January 2015 - 02:55 AM.

#13 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

This is something I had already posted in the German section.

Just scrap the whole idea of any cease fire time at all. Make the map fully dynamic. Any attacked planet which passes the 50% mark automatically changes alleigance. If the plannet is permanently pushed to the attacking Faction (50% +) for more than 4 hours automatically gets taken by the attacker and the border is pushed back 1 planet. If the attacked planet is permanently held at less than 50% attacker wins once the colour has changed for the first time, then the planet goes to the defender and the border fight moves towards the attacker. Taken planets are not attackable for 24 or 72 Hours. After this hold time, the planet is open for contest again once the border moves appropriately.

This way any timezone has the same chance to affect the border and any Unit which takes a planet can claim it for the full peace time and therefore stamp their name on the MWO map (therefore giving any smaller units something extra to fight for)

#14 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

View PostBagor Aga, on 07 January 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

But 3-fraction window with rotation is far better than we have now.

agreed with mechanic and small team/unit problems. but my scheme developed only for timezones. i can't play at early morning every day to do something in CW, but want equal chances for all players. and surprise effect)
1. 2 phases per day (about 12hr/each) - it's too long to wait for end of phase if join game at start of phase
2. 4 phases per day (about 6hr/each) - it's too rapid changes in CW
but 3 phases (about 8hr/each) - something average between two above.

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 07 January 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#15 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

Any system that allows to capture/defend planet during EU prime time is good to me. Because currently this is the real issue: areas with big players base are simply segregated by not being allowed to participate in CW meaningfully.

#16 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 07 January 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

Taken planets are not attackable for 24 or 72 Hours. After this hold time, the planet is open for contest again once the border moves appropriately.

great idea. but i think, not attackable from 24 to 72 hours RANDOMLY. as i like)

#17 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

up

#18 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

Even better. Just count the victories and losses. No stupid percentages.

Then the question of how many cycles at what time and by what rotation is less of an issue. Even though the proposal here is not a bad one.

But keep things simple.

#19 _Anthrax_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 153 posts
  • LocationНовороссийск

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 07 January 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

Even better. Just count the victories and losses. No stupid percentages.

Then the question of how many cycles at what time and by what rotation is less of an issue. Even though the proposal here is not a bad one.

But keep things simple.

ok, count vicrories and losses. but what is final value? if time we return to rotation, and if amount, but how much? 1K, 2K or 10K + 1 battles?

Edited by RSV Anthrax, 07 January 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#20 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

See Command Chair. This is coming in on 20th Jan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users