[App] Absolute Stick Aiming Dead Zone Fix. - 2.0: Proof Of Concept

40 replies to this topic

#21 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 17 January 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

snip

Let me know if there is a good reason for me to switch from mouse emulation to this fix, I've got it so perfectly adjusted now that I don't feel the need to switch without a good reason.

Hey Turbo... hows your motion platform coming along? How bout your SC projects? The most compelling reason would be to be able to use TrackIR. Current implentation is the enemy of mouse emulation (and apparently the mouse too these days), however native absolute inputs would not be subject to the same limitations.

evil, unfortunately I so far have had no luck getting it running or doing any testing.I had to update vjoy, but that broke my UJR pedals so I had to roll it back to be able to play MWO. With either vjoy version however, the new absolute ap would not recognize my stick (I tried the first one and the updated one as well) so I have not been able to test it out yet.

It's certainly a promising development however, and I think it's awesome that you still do this kind of stuff. On reddit I mentioned you should contact Matthiew Craig and jump on TS with him in game to help get the native support straightened out. I don't have an email for him, and just contact him here through his user profile: http://mwomercs.com/...-matthew-craig/ ...he's surprisingly responsive.

I am going to reestablish contact as well with him to try to get the process behind the scenes moving again... I fell off MWO for a while during the peak of the whole transfail incident when things got really whack around here.

#22 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

First off BIG thank you for this evilC. Will try it out and see.

#23 Haitchpeasauce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

evilC, this is excellent work.

I shall try it out soon.

Thank you.

#24 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:00 AM

Sorry, highly unintuitive. Could not make head or tail of it.

BIG Headsup!
Seems AutoAim needs to rely on UJR to pass values through.
So you need to absolutely do the following:

1. Run MWO in windowed mode, so as to enable you to switch to desktop
This means at the very least

Run UJR
Run AutoAim
Assign Keys to control AutoAim
(Run TARGET) --if you want to use a programmed Warthog.
Start MWO

You need to load the programs in this order

Unassign Keys that are both in AutoAim and MWO (Seems to be pretty much a given, as Function Keys cannot be assigned to toggle AutoAim states)

Calibrate (Not figured out how to do this yet)

Switch to Windowed Mode
Go into testing grounds

CHECK THAT YOU ARE IN "CALIBRATE" MODE
--Still troubleshooting the rest of the steps

Edited by Hammerhai, 19 January 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#25 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:22 AM

Does not seem to have any real effect on the jump in the middle. Results and the size of the jump when moving also vary wildly.
Sadly, this is also due to the fact that a Warthog has a very good electronic resolution, but suffers from "stiction" (stick friction) of the axes, resulting in wildly varying results for calibration.

Brilliant idea, but the Warthog at least will never allow you to snipe. Ever.
I am willing to see if manual editing of the bottom settings can help, but I wonder.

In laymans terms the "mechanical" or actual resolution of this stick is flawed and always will be.

Edited by Hammerhai, 19 January 2015 - 03:23 AM.

#26 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:35 AM

I suspect the control algorhythm may be partly to blame, but can confirm no real effect on the jump.
Settings for the bottom zone are around 2200, editing up to 2500 (to reduce stiction error) has no real effect.
Top border limiting seems effective and accurate.

#27 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 19 January 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:

Sorry, highly unintuitive. Could not make head or tail of it.

BIG Headsup!
Seems AutoAim needs to rely on UJR to pass values through.
So you need to absolutely do the following:

1. Run MWO in windowed mode, so as to enable you to switch to desktop
This means at the very least

Run UJR
Run AutoAim
Assign Keys to control AutoAim
(Run TARGET) --if you want to use a programmed Warthog.
Start MWO

You need to load the programs in this order

Unassign Keys that are both in AutoAim and MWO (Seems to be pretty much a given, as Function Keys cannot be assigned to toggle AutoAim states)

Calibrate (Not figured out how to do this yet)

Switch to Windowed Mode
Go into testing grounds

CHECK THAT YOU ARE IN "CALIBRATE" MODE
--Still troubleshooting the rest of the steps

UJR is not required for this script.

Not sure I have seen the "jump in the middle" you speak of, but I am using a low quality stick to test with, so I dunno, it could be happening and I just aint noticing it. Or do you mean the low deadzone?

Are you getting the app now? Fire it up, hit the Calibrate hotkey and hold right on the joystick until the crosshair moves, then hit the Set hotkey to set the value for X (Low)....

Edited by evilC, 19 January 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#28 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

hmmm.

Does not read a large part of my sticks movement.
example:

Calibrated x low
Calibrated x high
switch to run
Moving joystick to extreme right, mech follows as expected until it hits edge of range
returning stick x very slowy back to centre then results in no movement and then a huge jump back to centre. almost half the range of the mech's movement. Stick is still strongly deflected.
Although absolute inputs are enabled, when calibrating for the first time the stick behaves as if in relative mode, slowly trundling to the right and stopping when stick is centered. With a weird overlay in the middle relentlessly counting up while the stick is deflected.
??
I just don't get it. Sorry.

Edit: I have tested with the following Joysticks:
Logitech Attack 3d Pro
Logitech G 940
TM Warthog

3d Pro - actully best results, but still mediocre

G 940
Ran this without the Transformer to most closely emulate 0 order control. In other words no resistance or center detent.
Result: Jerky, pinpoint aim simply impossible, actual movement resolution approximately a 10th to a 5th of screen displayed, fov set to 85, 1980 x 1020 resolution. Next best to the 3d pro.
Warthog: Worst. The gimbal of the TM seems to be the issue. (Just a suspicion)

In all cases: after calibration and a few test moves full deflection of stick never equalled full deflection. In the y axis worst, full deflection reached consistenly at less than half joystick movement, despite calibration y high. x axis less so, but still bad.

Looking at the jumping of the reticle on the G 940, I believe ergonomics may play a part. This is as close to absolute input without resistance as one gets in a Joystick. I believe the hand actually does not deflect that smoothly. Just a suspicion, as I am way out of my depth here.

Edited by Hammerhai, 20 January 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#29 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

I worked with this over the weekend, however I was unable to get my bound keys to be recognized by the AHK application while I had MWO as the focus. I could not figure out why, so I didnt get to test the functionality of the application.

I tried running MWO in window and full windowed mode. I tried changing the order in which I launched the application and MWO. I even went so far as to remove any non-required USB devices, and switched keyboards still no no avail.

I'm fairly confident that the issue is something on my end and not the application. I just couldn't figure out what.

#30 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

Hmm....

I think I forgot to call the function that ensures the script is running as admin.

do you have UAC on? (it is on by default)

#31 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

I can't confirm UAC or not right now, Im at the office. However I did "run as administrator" as one of my many attempts to get this going.

#32 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Has anyone tried this with an X52? It's 11 bit, so I dunno...

#33 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Bear in mind that I would doubt it is usable properly by most people yet.
I would imagine it may be usable with a 12-bit+ stick with a lengthened shaft, but only just.

Hopefully I will be chatting with some PGI peeps soon, so stay tuned for some news of proper fixes.

#34 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi Clive, I'm unable to bound my appointed KEY set into your app inside MWO CONTROLLER, it doesn't respond. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Win 8.1 64 ???

Edited by cx5, 07 February 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#35 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:12 AM

Hmm, not sure what you are talking about...
The only keys this script uses are the ones to calibrate, or the ones to bind the axes in mwo.
I am not sure what you mean by your statement....

#36 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

Hi Clive, thanks for support, sorry my sentence was badly worded. I try again.

Using TM Flight Hotas X.

I have managed to bind alphabet/keyboard "M" to your APP for "MWO Bind X"
and alphabet/keyboard "L" to your APP for "MWO Bind Y"
"C" to your APP for "Calibration Mode"
"F" to your APP for "Axis select"
"E" to your APP for "Toggle Low High"
"G" to your APP for "Axis set"
"I" to your APP for "Functionality toggle"
No wild mode selected. All pass thru ticked. It is automatically saved to a new profile name that I ADDed earlier.

Then I opened up MWO client, reset settings due to the warning deadzone cannot be zero and X Y must be default. Logout and relogin, going int settings again, then into controller, double click top <torso twist> and it shows empty & flashing. I move the joystick and it registers/record, click save it and go to testing ground and working fine and well. I need to invert pitch and throttle. No problem. Set absolute in user.cfg is working too.

Then I go into settings again, into controller, double click <torso twist> and HIT keyboard "M" as it's binded to your APP, but no response. The APP does not accept keyboard alphabet/key. Hence this is the obstacles I'm facing and needs help/instructions to overcome.

I tried clicking on the right column, but no effect.

Thanks for your next tip to show me where did I do wrong, thanks.

#37 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

View Postcx5, on 08 February 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

Hi Clive, thanks for support, sorry my sentence was badly worded. I try again.

Using TM Flight Hotas X.

I have managed to bind alphabet/keyboard "M" to your APP for "MWO Bind X"
and alphabet/keyboard "L" to your APP for "MWO Bind Y"
"C" to your APP for "Calibration Mode"
"F" to your APP for "Axis select"
"E" to your APP for "Toggle Low High"
"G" to your APP for "Axis set"
"I" to your APP for "Functionality toggle"
No wild mode selected. All pass thru ticked. It is automatically saved to a new profile name that I ADDed earlier.

Then I opened up MWO client, reset settings due to the warning deadzone cannot be zero and X Y must be default. Logout and relogin, going int settings again, then into controller, double click top <torso twist> and it shows empty & flashing. I move the joystick and it registers/record

This is where you made the mistake.
Instead of moving the stick when the binding is flashing, hit the M key. You still need to double click in the JOYSTICK column, but you need to hit a keyboard key (MWO will not see the key being hit, as it is waiting for stick input).

This will cause the VIRTUAL stick to move, without you moving your ACTUAL stick.
If instead you move your ACTUAL stick, MWO will bind to that and not the VIRTUAL stick.

It's a little confusing, I know, but I have no way of hiding your ACTUAL stick from MWO, so we need to use keys to move the VIRTUAL stick without moving the real one ;)

Edited by evilC, 09 February 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#38 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I just noticed that Thrustmaster is saying they have configurations set up so you can use dual T-16000M ( or T.16000M ) joysticks for MWO. Anybody using these can confirm it is working well?

Link:
http://www.thrustmas...stick-each-hand

#39 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am not sure this is at all related to absolute aim. Probably all it means is that you can set one stick to be in "relative" mode, so a sprung stick is more intuitive as a throttle. Primarily I think what they are trying to draw attention to is the fact that the grip can be configured for left or right-handed use.

Interestingly, I can now control mwo mouse input via code, so conceivably I could write a better absolute aim mod by emulating a mouse with a joystick.

#40 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

Hello!

3) Configure inputs
In the script, select the ID and axis number of the stick you wish to use as input.

how do I complete this step? I have the hotkeys bound corectly to MWO and app (tested in game by pressing the app hotkeys), but I don't know how tyo get the app to recognize my stick.

Computer: windows 10
Stick: Saitek X45

Edited by Snowbluff, 28 October 2016 - 05:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users