32 replies to this topic

#21 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

It is physics. You can do an experiment yourself, if you want! Do this: try to drive a Porsche 911 under a tractor / trailer truck at 80+ KPH and let us know how it works out. We're you able to hang out under the truck, without your car taking any damage, or being moved involuntarily?

Disclaimer: Do not attempt.

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

I should clarify that.

You guys play well and hard and you play with what wins; you're in it to win worlds and I respect that. I have no doubt you want to get paid.

My issue is overall with the design of CW currently - the zerg is a consistent winner but it pays crap and is less enjoyable all around. that is the source of my frustration.

As with every game I have ever played be it either Multiplayer PvE or PvP. It's ALOT more fun to play until people figure out the 'right' way to do it.

#22 xJohnWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

I should clarify that.

You guys play well and hard and you play with what wins; you're in it to win worlds and I respect that. I have no doubt you want to get paid.

My issue is overall with the design of CW currently - the zerg is a consistent winner but it pays crap and is less enjoyable all around. that is the source of my frustration.

Agreed. I would like some more intense battle options. But, I will say that other units try this tactic against us and fail over and over again. And some units defend against it so well that we are forced into a hard fight which is awesome. But when an enemy doesn't defend the objective, why should I force myself to slow down and pull my punches just to give them a fight? You leave your backdoor open, I'm going to walk in and steal your cookies. Just sayin.

But I do agree with you on your frustration with the CW design. I hope they get some meaningful changes in there that force us to come up with a new winning tactic. Rest assured, whatever that tactic is, you are sure to hate it just as much when we get it down pat. ;)

#23 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

With the accuracy of the turrets why not throw a few of them in the gullies and channels lights run and chuck on a few small pulse lasers & program them to aim for legs.

That will bring a fast halt to the light zerg lol.

#24 eleazr

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

cures for the zerg rush:

streak turrets
greater defensive depth (more gates, gates that the defenders can control, alternate spawn points, etc)
better hit registration

enforcing an artificial and arbitrary edict like 1 of each weight class is very much sub optimal IMHO.

#25 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

View Posteleazr, on 22 January 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

better hit registration

Fix the FPS drops! ;)

#26 xJohnWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 22 January 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:

With the accuracy of the turrets why not throw a few of them in the gullies and channels lights run and chuck on a few small pulse lasers & program them to aim for legs.

That will bring a fast halt to the light zerg lol.

Change turrets to small pulse that only fire when in range, or streaks. Something short range that heavier pushes can deal with easily but that a light rush would have problems with. But... PGI doesn't listen to me. They thought adding some generators and buffing the health would put a stop to it... NOPE.

#27 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 22 January 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

There were plenty of lights in closed beta when we had knockdowns and collisions and they were far better pilots than the light pilots now, not to mention, lights were actually played as they were intended to be. Lights are not meant to be leg-humping brawlers.

Ever tell you about the time I took out an untouched Enforcer and a slightly damaged Victor in one round with a Valkyrie? (30 ton mech 1 medium laser and 1 LRM10 for those not in the know)

It is physics. You can do an experiment yourself, if you want! Do this: try to drive a Porsche 911 under a tractor / trailer truck at 80+ KPH and let us know how it works out. We're you able to hang out under the truck, without your car taking any damage, or being moved involuntarily?

I think I saw that in a movie once.

View PostThomasMarik, on 22 January 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

Disclaimer: Do not attempt.

As with every game I have ever played be it either Multiplayer PvE or PvP. It's ALOT more fun to play until people figure out the 'right' way to do it.

I remember when Magic came out. How fun it was until one guy found a forum on deck design. :(

Games are a lot more fun until someone starts doing math and making charts.

#28 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

View PostJoe Decker, on 22 January 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

Yup please reduce participating Lights to 0% ;)

When you bring Collision back we will see entire Matches again where everyone is just lying on the Floor.

Will be hilarious to watch.

The failure of the knockdown mechanic before is that it was a stun mechanic allowing for easy kills. In tt you could fight and shoot while prone from knockdown. It was harder, but well duh... of course it was, but you were not defenseless.

#29 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 23 January 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

The failure of the knockdown mechanic before is that it was a stun mechanic allowing for easy kills. In tt you could fight and shoot while prone from knockdown. It was harder, but well duh... of course it was, but you were not defenseless.

You were also harder to hit unless they were standing next to you.

#30 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostDavers, on 23 January 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

I remember when Magic came out. How fun it was until one guy found a forum on deck design. :(

Games are a lot more fun until someone starts doing math and making charts.

OMG! Nerf Dark Ritual! Oooh, (clutches pearls), there is a pentagram on the Dark Ritual card, Magic The Gathering is eeeevil, the work of the devil for sure, change the artwork so it is no longer relevant to the card text! ;-)

#31 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

I'm not so sure that this Comparison is working. Vehicles are usually longer than high, while most Mechs are higher than long. You can not really step "on" a Light Mech. So what is left is Mechs will bump in each other, and their Gyroskop will try to balance that out. Depending on Speed+Mass+Relation of Height to Length that will have different Results, agreed. Yet at the same Time the heavier your Mech is, the longer it will need to get up again. Some Mechs like the King Crab could fall on their Head and never be able to turn around anymore though :P

Posted Image

In the End the Collision/Knockback Thing will hit all Mechs pretty hard. It will not only hit the Light Mechs you are aiming for.

I do not think Light Mechs are the Issue, it is the Map Design in CW. The Maps are too small, Defenders do have very little Reaction Time to fast Mechs. What you need is bigger Maps and simply a Button to open your Gates yourself as that will give you the Chance to move out of Base to scout it and to counter a fast Push when you still got the Chance.

At the Moment it is Lights approaching a Gate and then you got a few Seconds to kill them all before they are at the Objective.

Bigger Map and a Way for the Defender to open/close a Gate would help, along with a Sensortower that is letting you know what the Attacker brings as they get out of their Dropships. At least which Weightclasses they bring would help you to know if they aim for a Light Rush. We don't need to know the exact Types of Mechs.

To balance this Advantage the Attacker would also need a Scout (Fighter) or something like that to let you know if Defenders move out of their Base or fortify it.

Make these Changes and reduce Tower Power in the Base and you got your somewhat fair Brawls you are looking for.

But that would be just my Idea.

Edited by Joe Decker, 23 January 2015 - 11:52 PM.

#32 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

View PostDavers, on 23 January 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

Ever tell you about the time I took out an untouched Enforcer and a slightly damaged Victor in one round with a Valkyrie? (30 ton mech 1 medium laser and 1 LRM10 for those not in the know)

Through-armour-crits and RNGesus on your side? Must have been entertaining to watch.

#33 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 25 January 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

Through-armour-crits and RNGesus on your side? Must have been entertaining to watch.

Ammo explosions and engine crits. Got to love them. TACs were the reason that medium mechs and light mechs were worth taking. It made them dangerous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users