Rules

258 replies to this topic

#1 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

Are the rules put up somewhwre, I can't find them? I've read several threads that say that if you power down and have participated to the best of your ability you are within your rights to do so.

I just got reported for holding 23 players up which I feel I didn't. When someone powers down I don't get upset. I recognize that he is within his rights to do anything to stay alive except exploiting of course. It's the opposing teams job to ferret the guy out. I help search or if I am on the loosing side I either watch what will happen or simply launch another mech.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 28 January 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

if the scoreboard shows you fought and did damage. You are in the Clear.

#3 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

it is the very first Sub-Forum:

http://mwomercs.com/...les-guidelines/

look for codes of Conduct and the like.

#4 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 January 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

if the scoreboard shows you fought and did damage. You are in the Clear.

I didn't do much damage. We got rolled and I got focused fired by LRMs. I shut down in the middle of the melee when I was legged.

Just checked, I can't see that I did anything wrong according to the rules.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 28 January 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#5 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

the question is, why did you do that? Why not fight to the end? It's just a game, you know?

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 28 January 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

I didn't do much damage. We got rolled and I got focused fired by LRMs. I shut down in the middle of the melee when I was legged.
You did fight though. CoC is against shutting down and hiding without fighting. I don't hide myself, But I don't force my play preference on others... except to Alpha Strike them as much as possible. ;)

View Post627, on 28 January 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

the question is, why did you do that? Why not fight to the end? It's just a game, you know?

ANd he played it how HE wanted to. Is that Wrong?

#7 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:42 AM

View Post627, on 28 January 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

It might sound strange but I care about my k/d because that's the only stat that I can directly affect and I have a project ongoing where I wan't to get all my mechs to1.0. Most of them are but the Hawks which were my first mechs are in a big hole that I dug myself into as a rookie. This was my only Cent below 1.0 though.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 28 January 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:44 AM

I'd rather just override and FIRE EVERYTHANG!! and deny the enemy team the kill myself. At least get some c-bills and some fun out of it. Not a fan of just powering down and playing hide-and-seek. Don't get it.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 28 January 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

It might sound strange but I care about my k/d because that's the only stat that I can directly affect and I have a project ongoing where I wan't to get all my mechs to1.0. Most of them are but the Hawks which were my first mechs are in a big hole that I dug myself into as a rookie.

It would have sounded better if you used, "Discretion and Valor" ;)

#10 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

What surprises me is that I've never seen a team of 10 mechs line up at one line/mech and simply comb the map. Much faster than running randomly in a blob.

#11 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Hello OP

You do realise that your team mates will probably just give your position to the enemy anyway if a loss is on the cards.

#12 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Depending on the game mode 12 kills is not a requirement. but if it is then you should be able to accept that some people will fight to the bitter end and that happens to be the time limit

#13 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostRhaythe, on 28 January 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

I'd rather just override and FIRE EVERYTHANG!! and deny the enemy team the kill myself. At least get some c-bills and some fun out of it. Not a fan of just powering down and playing hide-and-seek. Don't get it.

I do that too, but this time I didn't have much to fire.

#14 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 January 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

You did fight though. CoC is against shutting down and hiding without fighting. I don't hide myself, But I don't force my play preference on others... except to Alpha Strike them as much as possible. ;)

ANd he played it how HE wanted to. Is that Wrong?

I did not say that. I just wanted to know why.

The only thing I have to say to that is this - there's this fine line between egoism and sportsmanship. If you lose you should accept that and if your whole team is dead and it's not 11-10 but 11-2 then you should go out end the match so 23 other players can get their mechs back and play another game.
I don't like these matches where you need to find the last mech and it takes you 10 minutes until the match is over. That is no fun, for nobody.

#15 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

View Post627, on 28 January 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

I did not say that. I just wanted to know why.

The only thing I have to say to that is this - there's this fine line between egoism and sportsmanship. If you lose you should accept that and if your whole team is dead and it's not 11-10 but 11-2 then you should go out end the match so 23 other players can get their mechs back and play another game.
I don't like these matches where you need to find the last mech and it takes you 10 minutes until the match is over. That is no fun, for nobody.

But they are free to do so. I've never cared about a specific mech. I can play another game in the meantime and even if it turns out to be a short one the mech will be ready to go in 99.99% of the cases after that match. They offered me to self overheat but I knew that the moment I powered up they'd kill me out of spite and with only a AC10 I doubt I could have overheated in any case.

View PostSoultraxx, on 28 January 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

Hello OP

You do realise that your team mates will probably just give your position to the enemy anyway if a loss is on the cards.

For some reason they didn't but most had left it was only the enemy team left bar 1 or 2 players.

#16 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

The thing is you are holding up the other 23 players and some of them might not have a massive stable of mechs to use. Technically, if you have participated n the match then you are ok, but from a etiquette viewpoint it's best just to get it over with.

Ofc, you may be running the clock down in order to win on points sometimes and that's ok but at any other time you are better off going out in a blaze of glory. More damage = more c-bills.

EDIT: Thre are times at the end of a match when I have shut down in order to conduct a guerilla surprise attack to get a kill, just make sure that the people on your team are aware becaue the last thing you want is them giving away your position!

Edited by Xeraphale, 28 January 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#17 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 28 January 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

I was in a 12:0 stomp a few times, when i was the only one left on our team, in beat up Raven or Spider, and managed to down a cored assault just by going head to head with enemy team, guns blazing. 12:1 is still a stomp, but you down the guy and that is enough reward for me. Powering off in corner is a solution, if you are in 11:11 and out of weapons or ammo - you have a chance to get a draw. Or in conquest, when you are last one on team, but can possibly get a cap win. I dont say OP did something wrong, its his decision and he has the right to do it. I just dont understand all this KDR thing. Who cares about it and why?

#18 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostXeraphale, on 28 January 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

The thing is you are holding up the other 23 players and some of them might not have a massive stable of mechs to use. Technically, if you have participated n the match then you are ok, but from a etiquette viewpoint it's best just to get it over with.

Ofc, you may be running the clock down in order to win on points sometimes and that's ok but at any other time you are better off going out in a blaze of glory. More damage = more c-bills.

I'm not a top player but If they are in my elo or slightly below I very much doubt they only have that one mech. I remeber when I started. If someone powered down I just took another trial mech and once I goy my first own mech I just launched a trial mech in the meantime. Once you have your first own mech you're pretty much set imo.

I sometimes just wait, tab in and out because I want to see how it ends.

#19 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 28 January 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

It might sound strange but I care about my k/d because that's the only stat that I can directly affect and I have a project ongoing where I wan't to get all my mechs to1.0. Most of them are but the Hawks which were my first mechs are in a big hole that I dug myself into as a rookie. This was my only Cent below 1.0 though.

You can always hit O for override and suicide. Suicide does not count into your K/D. (same for running out of bounds).

Also: It really is not hard to achieve a K/D >1, or >1.5, even while dying gloriously each round and in the end: No one cares about K/D here. This is not CoD. No one can and will ever be able to see your personal stats :P

But well, play the way you want, it's your game, after all o7

Edit: even while having 150 Mechs: most people are trying to either level that one mech they are in right now or testing new builds, so meh, it kinda keeps you from leveling your mechs. But well, that's the game
:P

EditEdit: Also not everyone has a full set of modules for each mech. That's around 15million C-Bills per single Mech, so it may happen that exactly the module you'd need and only have 1 of is trapped in the round. So many possibilities. You can't just "drop in a trial" then, the loadouts are the epitome of horrible builds :P

Edited by Apocryph0n, 28 January 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#20 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

View PostApocryph0n, on 28 January 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

You can always hit O for override and suicide. Suicide does not count into your K/D. (same for running out of bounds).

Also: It really is not hard to achieve a K/D >1, or >1.5, even while dying gloriously each round and in the end: No one cares about K/D here. This is not CoD. No one can and will ever be able to see your personal stats :P

But well, play the way you want, it's your game, after all o7

Edit: even while having 150 Mechs: most people are trying to either level that one mech they are in right now or testing new builds, so meh, it kinda keeps you from leveling your mechs. But well, that's the game
:P

EditEdit: Also not everyone has a full set of modules for each mech. That's around 15million C-Bills per single Mech, so it may happen that exactly the module you'd need and only have 1 of is trapped in the round. So many possibilities. You can't just "drop in a trial" then, the loadouts are the epitome of horrible builds :P

True but I don't see it as a no no to spend a match in a "subpar" mech be it a trial or an owned but without modules. Heck I sometimes run without modules because I can't be bothered to switch because I know that I'll go back to the other mech in a round or two.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users