160 replies to this topic

#41 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 08 February 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Heaven knows, I am the last person to be accused to being a fan of the Gatekeepers, but at the same time, I'm not going to dismiss the possible merits of this venture just because it has a black hand-print on it. HLGK are not puppetmasters of this or anything, they just happen to be the ones taking the lead in handling it in these early stages. There are politics and e-peens that I don't understand at play.

What I'm trying to do is determine what the actual best course of action is, regardless of preconceptions.

Your best bet is to do what units like TCAF are doing.. Beat the Davions , then in your spare time help out Kurita if you choose to. As far as the politics go.. Would you support a politician that ignore your ideals , yet asks for you to trust them?

#42 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

That being said, it's a tough pill to swallow, giving up huge swaths of territory to the Davs in exchange for some vague notion of a ceasefire and peace in our time and all of that.

It's also a tough sell to people like Maxwell and I because of the way we play. Most of my non-unit gaming hours are spent organizing ad-hoc faction groups to drop on the Dav border. Same thing with Maxwell. We're putting a lot of time and effort into herding pugs during off peak hours, kickstarting planetary queues, etc. It's going to be hard to sell that to groups of people to go get slaughtered as a meat-shield up on the Clan meatgrinder.

View PostGrynos, on 08 February 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Your best bet is to do what units like TCAF are doing.. Beat the Davions , then in your spare time help out Kurita if you choose to. As far as the politics go.. Would you support a politician that ignore your ideals , yet asks for you to trust them?

The Gatekeepers, no. Hell, I think I'm unofficially "banned" from Gatekeeper dress-up parties. But this is more than just the Gatekeepers, and if the Star League can stand on it's own merits, I'm not going to let HLGK association with it stand in the way of me supporting it. I just have a long way to go before being sold on the notion that it's a good idea in it's own right.

#43 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

The voice of reason! Can't wait for WoL to come home.

#44 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

I agree faith, you and maxwell have been doing a great job in rallying troops for Liao. It is also going to be a hard sell to go fight against clans with nothing to gain and everything to lose if Davion decides to attack Liao.
The whole premise that of the " soft ceasefire" is a botched one. So if you are tired with fighting against the clans you can instead do the exact same thing most people are doing already and having IS vs IS. So does that mean when one of the Star League units decide that they have yet to gain anything by butting heads with the clans , then they are free to attack IS again? And if so , how would that work if the faction they are attacking against is in heated battles upon the clan fronts. BWC and Seraphs are with Kurita currently , now if Steiner decided that the hell with attacking the clans and losing, we are just going to focus on Marik , while Marik units are trying to help out with the clan effort, what happens then?? What happens if Seraphs and BWC start losing planets they have gained because of that?

There is no way to police the actions of people wanting to play the way they want instead of the way other expect them to, nor should there be. Just remember, it is the Merc Units who decide for the most part the outcomes of CW. Because they have the freedom to do what they want, when they want, to whom they want.

#45 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 08 February 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Question .. Does it make me a bad person that I still wear green and yellow on all my mechs with a purple birdie on my shoulder?

Hope to be back soon, but that is up to WoL leadership. Ironically most of my CW matches are against Davioms still... Go figure.

#46 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Technically they abandoned us early and stopped fighting too.
Not too sure about this.

More the merrier though. I just hope if they did, there would be no more griefing on their part.

Edited by ShinVector, 08 February 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#47 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostShinVector, on 08 February 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Technically they abandoned us early and stopped fighting too.
Not too sure about this.

More the merrier though. I just hope if they did, there would be no more griefing on their part.

Yes I'll agree WoL did take a hiatus , due to the fact of a boring game mode.. But there were still some of us who continued to play in CW. If you look at the map, there are still WoL tags on planets. As far as the griefing goes, I am relatively new , but I have yet to see griefing since being here in any form.

#48 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, I mean, the only example of WoL griefing I can think of is dragon bowling with Paul, and that was just epic. I think a lot of the "goon" reputation is overblown and/or carried over from other games. I've never seen a problem in-game with any WoL members.

#49 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

IIRC,
It was the Goonswarm that negotiated the CF between Marik and Liao.

Just putting that out there for any of Liao that wants to take a moment before they do some Forumwarrioring against the Goons.

Edited by Roadbeer, 08 February 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#50 Jerry Wargate

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

IMO.... This goes one of two ways...

"OH I WILL NOT TRUST A DAVION HOUSE OR SOFT CEASE FIRE!"

or

"We as One United House cannot possibly stand alone against the Clans..."

Wash repeat plz...

#51 Jerry Wargate

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

JERRY WARGATE DOVE OF PEAAAAAACE!

#52 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

I'll give you this, Jerry, you are entertaining.

#53 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

I appreciate everyone's response, and respect all of your opinions. I even happen to share most of them, to a certain extent. Let me try to address all of your concerns.

View PostFaith McCarron, on 08 February 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Heaven knows, I am the last person to be accused to being a fan of the Gatekeepers, but at the same time, I'm not going to dismiss the possible merits of this venture just because it has a black hand-print on it. HLGK are not puppetmasters of this or anything, they just happen to be the ones taking the lead in handling it in these early stages. There are politics and e-peens that I don't understand at play.

What I'm trying to do is determine what the actual best course of action is, regardless of preconceptions.

Thank you, McCarron. It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime...what better place than here?

What better time than now?

When have I ignored your ideals?

When we withdrew for a few weeks from CW, there were reasons behind it. HLGK is happy to get new players into the game, and we happily invite them to join us. However, after the CW launched we doubled in size and we had training to do. I never stated we'd not be taking part, and we returned to CW in battalion operations a few weeks ago.

What this whole thing is about is an attempt to quell the pointless fighting and get back to the basics.

If the numbers even out, we'll have plenty to do, but we need everyones' support. As the smallest Great House, we have an organizational advantage - if we can put our differences aside, both with each other and with Davion.

View PostFaith McCarron, on 08 February 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

That being said, it's a tough pill to swallow, giving up huge swaths of territory to the Davs in exchange for some vague notion of a ceasefire and peace in our time and all of that.

Don't think we didn't approach this with a large amount of calculation. As Davion gains territory from the Clans, we intend to posit that those planets, especially the Capitol worlds, must be returned to the Confederation - and by virtue of acting as the defenders of the other Great Houses (since we cannot attack) they will be obligated to hear our request.

Also, if there's a reset and the cease fire is in place this will not be an issue and it will put us far ahead of the game.

It's also a tough sell to people like Maxwell and I because of the way we play. Most of my non-unit gaming hours are spent organizing ad-hoc faction groups to drop on the Dav border. Same thing with Maxwell. We're putting a lot of time and effort into herding pugs during off peak hours, kickstarting planetary queues, etc. It's going to be hard to sell that to groups of people to go get slaughtered as a meat-shield up on the Clan meatgrinder.

I am an extremist, like both of you. Trust me on that - I'm a hardcore Liaoist. However, remember that the political objective is integral to Liao military operations, at least so say the Battletech materials. So let's look at it:

Quit herding pugs. Join us, and forget about them.

We MUST develop tactics that weigh our inherent advantages - namely, organization. No IS 'mech should be expected to go toe to toe with a clan mech. That said, 2 lances vs. a star seems fair to me, and operations should focus on unity and doctrine. In this manner, we take away the Clan advantages.

Get close, and be firstest with the mostest.

The Gatekeepers, no. Hell, I think I'm unofficially "banned" from Gatekeeper dress-up parties. But this is more than just the Gatekeepers, and if the Star League can stand on it's own merits, I'm not going to let HLGK association with it stand in the way of me supporting it. I just have a long way to go before being sold on the notion that it's a good idea in it's own right.

Ain't no thang like a Gatekeeper dress up party, because a Gatekeeper dress up party doesn't stop.

We're ready to put aside all enmities, McCarron. The ball is now in your court.

No further comment.

View PostGrynos, on 08 February 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

I agree faith, you and maxwell have been doing a great job in rallying troops for Liao. It is also going to be a hard sell to go fight against clans with nothing to gain and everything to lose if Davion decides to attack Liao.

If they attack us, they have a lot to lose. They aren't the unstoppable juggernaut they were a few weeks ago, and we have the backing (outside the Star League) of major Rasalhague and Marik units. Davion is pro-ceasefire, but we tried to make a show of good faith first. The units still attacking are setting back our political/military agenda.

The whole premise that of the " soft ceasefire" is a botched one. So if you are tired with fighting against the clans you can instead do the exact same thing most people are doing already and having IS vs IS. So does that mean when one of the Star League units decide that they have yet to gain anything by butting heads with the clans , then they are free to attack IS again? And if so , how would that work if the faction they are attacking against is in heated battles upon the clan fronts. BWC and Seraphs are with Kurita currently , now if Steiner decided that the hell with attacking the clans and losing, we are just going to focus on Marik , while Marik units are trying to help out with the clan effort, what happens then?? What happens if Seraphs and BWC start losing planets they have gained because of that?

The entire purpose of the Star League is to defend against and counter-attack the Clans. There will be plenty of things to lose from large swathes of units deciding to attack the IS, and we will be able to police this with weight of public opinion.

There is no way to police the actions of people wanting to play the way they want instead of the way other expect them to, nor should there be. Just remember, it is the Merc Units who decide for the most part the outcomes of CW. Because they have the freedom to do what they want, when they want, to whom they want.

Currently the merc units are expressly what is wrong with CW. I voted against allowing them into the Star League, but was outvoted...however I think that last night will actually give me the weight I need to push them out.

However - as it was discussed, the merc units will be organized into a "7th House" that will be used to counter-attack rogue IS units and hit the clans where the Strategos decide. They can do this by switching factions at the appropriate time.

There's a lot that went into our first meeting...around 50 reps from across the IS talked for three solid hours, and more is planned.

I would be happy to share ALL information - including our dastardly and Liaoist plans for the future.

However, the Cease-Fire is the first step, politically and militarily.

#54 Jerry Wargate

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 08 February 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'll give you this, Jerry, you are entertaining.

[OOC] Thanks for interacting. I love RP, even forum RP.

Edited by Jerry Wargate, 08 February 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#55 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Blackhand!
Thanks for the update on the meeting from last night. All very exciting I'm sure.
Are you the leader who insists that his warriors all run with STD engines above 40 tons? Are you a lore purist?
As a politician whom I may or may not support this is an important aspect of your character to know. Who are you and what is your ambition?
Sell this alliance to me and all the other Loyalists.
Or not.

#56 Jerry Wargate

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 08 February 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Blackhand!
Thanks for the update on the meeting from last night. All very exciting I'm sure.
Are you the leader who insists that his warriors all run with STD engines above 40 tons? Are you a lore purist?
As a politician whom I may or may not support this is an important aspect of your character to know. Who are you and what is your ambition?
Sell this alliance to me and all the other Loyalists.
Or not.

I Jerry Wargate, Commissar and Sao-Wei of the Mighty House Liao Gatekeeper
Send you esteemed Greeting and Salutations.

The Famous and ever Vigilant Blackhand is this very idealism you speak of Suh.

We have much room on Purvo and have issued the following visual...Posted Image

#57 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

I'm going to break with my normal OCD tendency to reply point by point and make a general statement. And keep in mind that I'm speaking only for myself here.

Blackhand makes a compelling case. Anyone who has played on the clan front knows that especially in CW as it is currently laid out and fought, the IS is at a distinct disadvantage. We can't change game statistics or game mechanics. The only thing we can change is the way we organize and fight. This seems like a legitimate attempt to *change* the way we organize and fight, which is sorely needed based on the movement of the map. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I know what we're (Inner Sphere "we" here) are doing isn't working, so I think it's worth taking a chance to make things change. They're not going to turn around on their own. Everything I have seen so far indicates the the Star League has it's ducks in a row and is making a genuine attempt. I think we should give it a chance.

If the whole thing falls apart, we're only right back where we started, which is relying on ourselves. We have a chance here to be able to rely on something other than ourselves, in addition to ourselves.

@Maxwell, I know you're as dedicated a Liao fighter as they come. But think about it, is the current model sustainable? We can gobble up some worlds while other things fall apart, or we can make a gambit.

@Gorgo I hear your point, and I'm never going to subscribe to such restrictive build policies. But I can't really justify tanking the whole game just because one guy on our team has a philosophy we don't like. Nobody is signing up under the Gatekeeper banner here. Blackhand is not "in charge" of anything here, what he *is* doing is stepping up and taking point on this issue, and to his credit, he has handled things beyond reproach so far. If you are worried this is some kind of power play on his part, I can only say I will be the first one to step up and ensure THAT doesn't happen. But we need to treat this situation as it comes to us, not within the context of any past dust-ups.

#58 Jerry Wargate

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Let the Joy of our Citizens be heard!Posted Image

#59 Oddmund

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 08 February 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

Currently the merc units are expressly what is wrong with CW. I voted against allowing them into the Star League, but was outvoted...however I think that last night will actually give me the weight I need to push them out.

So you don't want the help of merc units in this organized fight? seems a little funny to me.

#60 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Well, he needs to hash it out with the other Leaders of the units in Capella.
Until then...DEATH TO DAVION

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users