160 replies to this topic

#81 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

The issue is that Mercs are not trustworthy beyond what is stipulated in their contractual obligations. One week, two weeks great..
It doesn't mean they are not honorable or very important. They are.
What it does mean though is that you cannot be counted upon for Faction politics until you have your own Faction (Merc) which doesn't exist yet. Until then Mercs are as the wind and blow where the wind pushes them.
Hey!
Clan SJR gets a 200,000 credit bonus for victorious games...been some time since you dusted off the old Clan gear? Maybe a conversation peeps up about leaving...
The loyalists stay and will agitate for what they feel is best for the faction. Mercs will not or might but are less likely to hold that line.
As far as recognition? Join a faction if you want recognition. You'll get it.
Jump around from faction to faction and you'll get a reputation.
There is a difference.

#82 Malphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 22 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDeep Space

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Well, you look hard enough for justification to not see the bigger picture then you will find it. Not all members agree that mercs aren't important. But in a political situation between the Factions I don't see what it would matter as long as the mercs are still getting paid. Right now there is extra monetary gain to fight for House Liao, that may one day change. So for actual Loyalists it seems unimportant to listen to mercenaries who may one day fight against you because the pay is better.

It's a political call.

#83 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

Shin,
Just like other units out there, some of the members of WoL wanted to use clan mechs, really cannot blame them for that. As far as our switch to Marik , I believe it was basically done to get some of the newer members some free mech bays. I am just a peon , so others as well as myself were surprised by the change of faction.

To the gatekeepers,

I realize that your an RP mil sim unit.. I have previously read a lot of information on your website on your tactics etc. and I find it quite interesting.
But here is the issue, you can say what you want about the mercs units, but they have more planets on Liao then you.
You can Squawk what you want about WoL, yet even though we are currently not there ,we have more planets than you.
Why don't you actually put some of that training into actual use instead of making excuses. Perhaps if you had some names on planets people would be more inclined to actually take the gatekeepers seriously.

#84 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostCael Voltek, on 08 February 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

What will you do to fulfill yours?

A loaded question that is probably rhetorical, but here goes: our vision for a "green" future...

What will you do to fulfill yours? by Zvolimir Grebenshchikov (a.k.a. The Blackhand, An*l-Hat, Cobra Commander and three dozen other progressively more derogatory terms).

I see this as a golden time of co-operation and the dawn of a new era where the Inner Sphere controls the galaxy, not the Clans.

I will attempt to use this opportunity to help forge a new Star League and secure House Liao's place within it.

In so doing, I will do my part to organize the return and continued safety of the Capellan Capitol worlds, as well as help save the entire Inner Sphere from the terror of the Clan Invasion.

#85 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostGrynos, on 08 February 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

Shin,
Just like other units out there, some of the members of WoL wanted to use clan mechs, really cannot blame them for that. As far as our switch to Marik , I believe it was basically done to get some of the newer members some free mech bays. I am just a peon , so others as well as myself were surprised by the change of faction.

Hmmm... Ok your case it was leadership change ahh ok. But I noticed this happening even before clan mechs came. Goons in disguise Sqawking but not in Liao colours but various faction.
Ahhhh... Wished Liao still had its numbers.
There some very strong HL and WoL units back in the day.

View PostGorgo7, on 08 February 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

Woo... There ... PL might have already made that exception.
J.....

Edited by ShinVector, 08 February 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#86 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

What exactly are the conditions of this "soft" cease fire?

#87 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

You Capellan fellers are a bit touchy.

#88 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

I don't know what that means.

#89 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Probably the ideal way to make the "Star League's" push against the Clans work is to move all IS players to the front three factions. Then everyone can attack and everyone can defend. However, that is a pretty tall order.

#90 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 09 February 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

What exactly are the conditions of this "soft" cease fire?

From my understanding, it is simply an agreement among the units present at the conference to drop against the clans and only drop against other Houses in defense of attacks from units who did not attend the conference.

#91 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

So far true Capellans are fighting against the surrender ordered by Davion sympathizers. I do not understand why those who love Davion so much don't just join the Sunbros.

We will continue to fight despite the Davion lapdog cancer.

#92 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 09 February 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

So far true Capellans are fighting against the surrender ordered by Davion sympathizers.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

#93 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

So far true Capellans are fighting against the surrender ordered by Davion sympathizers.

Davion has sympathizers?

#94 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 08 February 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

The issue is that Mercs are not trustworthy beyond what is stipulated in their contractual obligations. One week, two weeks great..
What it does mean though is that you cannot be counted upon for Faction politics until you have your own Faction (Merc) which doesn't exist yet. Until then Mercs are as the wind and blow where the wind pushes them....

While you are right in many cases I would like to jump in with a clarification.

There are mercs and there are mercs.

Those I call the Mega-Mercs are those groups (predominantly big ones) that play their own meta-game. It is called "whoever tags the most planets wins". They pretty much play this among themselves. The factions are merely a background to that end. They have their own rivalries, contests and whatnot.

The other category is a mixed bunch. Some approach CW as just another public queue and don´t care much for factions or the CW map. Some participate in the TAG game of the Mega-Mercs but are smaller. Others on the other hand have pretty obvious loyalities or at least preferences. There are pseudo-loyalists, quite deeply entrenched in their mother factions, going where they are told to, some just exclude certain factions as possible employers (for various reasons) others just choose clan or IS out of practical reasons. (less grinding) Yet others are just a group of friends or a group of hardcore RPers who enjoy writing their own little story.

I wouldn´t make general assumptions about a group that is quite diverse.

#95 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

You prove my point.

#96 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

By pointing out some mercs are dependable and predictable while others are not?

Ok.

#97 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

The will of the Chancellor certainly extends to protecting the Inner Sphere from Clan invaders. However, I suspect the Celestial Wisdom will turn a blind eye towards mercenaries whose exploits recover Capellan worlds.

#98 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:37 AM

So far true Capellans are fighting against the surrender ordered by Davion sympathizers. I do not understand why those who love Davion so much don't just join the Sunbros.

We will continue to fight despite the Davion lapdog cancer.

Well, the Clans are a "cancer in the making", so to speak. Better to stop them on other powers worlds before they ravage our capellan planets, don't you think? True capellans will always protect its citizens from harm.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 10 February 2015 - 03:38 AM.

#99 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 10 February 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

Well, the Clans are a "cancer in the making", so to speak. Better to stop them on other powers worlds before they ravage our capellan planets, don't you think? True capellans will always protect its citizens from harm.

Incorrect. If the clanners can make it to CC after making contact with Marik and Davion borders than the game is broke anyways. If you are so concerned about it then you should actually help and switch to FRR or Kurita for however long! Offense is the best defense, but you can't be offensive against the clans while you're a CC unit.

I've always said that I am more than happy to defend FRR or Kurita worlds, but only after we've made sure to liberate whatever planet from the Davions for the day.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 10 February 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#100 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 10 February 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Incorrect. If the clanners can make it to CC after making contact with Marik and Davion borders than the game is broke anyways.

Neither more or nor less broken then Marik making contact with its own borders. ;)

Look, I'm not against re-taking capellan planets from Davion. I'm against calling capellan citizens "untrue" that help a potential ally, especially one that allready helped the capellan cause.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users