• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 February 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Son of a ....

I get it. Yes, actually, you can pay units. One of the biggest, stupidest aspects of cw is that mercs are not "hired". They just show up and put on a faction tag and suddenly they're your faction. They have no obligation, no risk, no investment. No reason to perform or be valuable save self respect.

The ability to pay mercs and they, in turn, to want to be valuable to hire makes mercs a commodity worth hiring and an asset to their employer and thus actually significant to the cw meta game.

What pisses me off is why did you guys have to be the ones to do this; why didn't PGI make it a more functional part of the game? Mercs as a commodity instead of a migratory disruption makes for a better cw for everyone.

Because it could be abused to prevent people from playing? Not to mention it would be a very cumbersome system- how much would each faction have to spend? Why would a faction waste money hiring small groups that can't routinely put together a 12 man? Who would decide which mercs to hire? Why should a small group of players have so much power over a larger pool of players?

Personally, I would like to see shorter contract lengths, based around planet ownership, with contracts to attack/defend specific planets rather than general contracts.

#42 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Posted Image
This is my keyboard. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My keyboard is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My keyboard, without me, is useless. Without my keyboard, I am useless. I must fire my keyboard true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My keyboard and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My keyboard is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my keyboard clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is Davion's and there is no enemy, but peace!

#43 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostDavers, on 11 February 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

Because it could be abused to prevent people from playing? Not to mention it would be a very cumbersome system- how much would each faction have to spend? Why would a faction waste money hiring small groups that can't routinely put together a 12 man? Who would decide which mercs to hire? Why should a small group of players have so much power over a larger pool of players?

Personally, I would like to see shorter contract lengths, based around planet ownership, with contracts to attack/defend specific planets rather than general contracts.

Don't overcomplicate it. Really very simple. I should be able to move money from my personal balance or unit coffer to another units coffer. The contract is between us and as reliable as the merc unit. What do you pay them? Whatever they are worth for the job in question.

#44 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 February 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Don't overcomplicate it. Really very simple. I should be able to move money from my personal balance or unit coffer to another units coffer. The contract is between us and as reliable as the merc unit. What do you pay them? Whatever they are worth for the job in question.

Wow, I don't think I would ever pay someone to play the game.

#45 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

The in-fighting is what destroyed the IS in the first place.

#46 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostDavers, on 11 February 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wow, I don't think I would ever pay someone to play the game.

They already are paid. In the long term what you need is large cbill bonuses for loyalist units who can't quit their faction - less per-mission pay for mercs but then the potential to negotiate higher pay by being hired by loyalist units.

This gives loyalist units some control over the form and function of their house without creating a bureaucracy. This prevents systems that are easily exploited while tying mercs into the actual metagame of CW instead of their existing to functionally spite it.

#47 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostTheB33f, on 11 February 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

I would have C-bills, along with a serious offer.

And yes, we are for hire and it's quite easy to proceed payment.

Beef,

Where did you get the graphic and does it involve "Skynet?"

A fan.

#48 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostDeadfire, on 11 February 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

We can't train the Goon out of her, please excuse us in this matter.

Never apologize for forum minmaxing

View PostVaskadar, on 11 February 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

The in-fighting is what destroyed the IS in the first place.

Destroyed? ...Or made better?

#49 Will HellFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:10 AM

If you want to stop us, bring some organized 12 man in to the fight,

Because so far, all we fight is pugs. And its getting terribly boring.

#50 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:35 AM

Sadly there are only a very few regiments in Davion. And those that are left are bored of CW. Pugs are all that are left. Those pugs are all new, so you will continue to fight 12 man pugs with trial mechs. Have fun.

Edited by Javin, 12 February 2015 - 03:36 AM.

#51 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

I'll give you a shiney Urbanmech package you can give to the pilot of your choice if you join Marik for 30 days :)

#52 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

Unlike about 80% of Davion, I will not abandon my principles, my house, or my people just because we are losing. Others may lose friends, planets, and even hope but I will stand alone if need be, defending Davion to the last man, missile, and mech.

Edited by Javin, 12 February 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#53 P e a k T o p

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,581 posts
  • LocationKazan city, Russia

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

Moar LRM! Moar skillzzz! :D
Posted Image

#54 ST0RM3R

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:01 AM

Want to know: is this hard to fight with air? -_-
Hard as BWC in Marik?

#55 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostSorrowcry, on 12 February 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Want to know: is this hard to fight with air? -_-
Hard as BWC in Marik?

I think something got lost in translation, tovarishch

#56 ST0RM3R

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Oh I want to say, that BWC playing against small def forces, like Liao.

#57 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostJavin, on 12 February 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

Unlike about 80% of Davion, I will not abandon my principles, my house, or my people just because we are losing. Others may lose friends, planets, and even hope but I will stand alone if need be, defending Davion to the last man, missile, and mech.

Oh sure, we've all got those principles too. Thing is, I also have a principle about not playing games with [redacted] trolls wearing Kurita and Liao flags and MS tags.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 12 February 2015 - 05:33 PM.
Language

#58 hopterque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostHarathan, on 12 February 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Oh sure, we've all got those principles too. Thing is, I also have a principle about not playing games with [redacted] trolls wearing Kurita and Liao flags and MS tags.

I would also look for any excuse I could to stop getting stomped night in night out, if I were a bad player who had that sort of issue.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 12 February 2015 - 05:33 PM.
Language in quote

#59 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

Speak of the devil...

And the worst part is, they seem to be actually, really, genuinely proud of themselves for pushing people away from MWO.

I dunno. Giving yourself a pat on the back each night based on how many people you caused to stop doing something they otherwise enjoyed? Not really a perspective I can relate to.

Edited by Harathan, 12 February 2015 - 09:40 AM.

#60 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostHarathan, on 12 February 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Speak of the devil...

And the worst part is, they're actually, really, genuinely proud of themselves for pushing people away from MWO.

I dunno. Giving yourself a pat on the back each night based on how many people you caused to stop doing something they otherwise enjoyed? Not really a perspective I can relate to.

Nobody made you stop playing this game. Besides, Davion has three fronts last I checked. By all means keep using NKVA as a scapegoat though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users