68 replies to this topic

#41 TacoTurtle

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

kaspersky.com

Used it since early 2000 and never looked back. Does everything and you can throttle how much it stresses your computer.
Also has parental controls.

Im been in the computer industry for more than 20+ years. ;)

#42 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Kaspersky has been excellent in many areas throughout the years, where others have at one time or another shined at one or two particular aspects of being an AV suite. I run a combination of free Malwarebytes (with no proactive components running in the background) and paid Kaspersky.

#43 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

I got Bitdefender on sale today for $20 for a 3 user license. Pretty good deal!

#44 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 21 February 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

I got Bitdefender on sale today for $20 for a 3 user license. Pretty good deal!

From SoS?

#45 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

From their website with this link http://www.bitdefend..._EXPIRED_A_2015

#46 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

View Postninjitsu, on 21 February 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

From their website with this link http://www.bitdefend..._EXPIRED_A_2015

Ah I came across a website a few weeks ago. Shareware on sale.
Has some ok deals, rarely you can snag a good freebie

#47 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

I work in a computer repair environment, and two of the more frequently (down mentioned) antivirus providers lets call them mcrappy and whorton, cause numerous issues on computers in the same way some virus's do.
I would personally recommend ESET smart security and Bullguard, with notable mentions to Malwarebytes and bitedefender.

#48 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Avira.

Avast, AVG, Norton... used them all: didn't like it.

#49 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

+1 for malwarebytes. I agree with most of the people here that you can get away with free options, especially if you are careful with what you click on and download. Set your cookies properly etc.

I use System Suite Pro by Avanquest, my dad bought it ages ago and it comes with 5 licenses so my other half and I both use it. It will slow down your initial desktop boot up a slightly. I wait an additional 5 seconds or so for the firewall to activate etc, but it isn't bad. I also enjoy all of the random tools it comes with. Registry cleaner/scanner/fixer/defrag, Disk defrag, a nice startup commander, data shredder and recovery, file cleaners/scanners/recovery/backup blah blah blah. You can turn on/off the "active defense" if you like, but I never see it's ram or cpu usage very high unless I'm actively doing a scan. It is much more user friendly than Norton IMO. Norton is dumbed down for the user and tries to be smart and do things itself, a bad combination in my experience.

#50 -Wulf-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe last =FD= Dropship

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 09 February 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Malwarebytes (Free) & CCleaner, that's all I Use, Family uses Norton though as much as I hate it. hopefully they'll go for something else when it expires.

I run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. All I really need since this is a gaming comp and doesn't get used for everyday web surfing.

#51 Entruder

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAkron,OH

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

I use Avast! premium, got it for like 20 bucks a year (was on sale at the time I think thats why) never had a problem, think i might renew my licence this year.

#52 Valdr_Skeggjoar

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWishing that these mech's where real not just on paper.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

I have used Avast for the last 8 yrs, and its A#1 in my book!
I have yet to have a problem of any kind with them!

#53 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

I run both avast Antivirus and Malware bytes antimalware, both look for different types of threats, and do not conflict with each other (unlike e.g. Norton and McAfee do).

I frequently have to deal with cleaning infections from clients PCs, usualy they have Norton, McAfee or Kaperski on and in more than a few cases most of the problem the client complains about have been fixed by disabling those antiviruses, yes those 3 Antiviruses can be hijacked by Malware (in fact that is how I was first introduced to Kaperski, hence I have never recommended it). for those reasons I would not recommend one of those 3 (sorry if that is a violation of the Forums name and shame policy).

I usualy recommend Avast or Microsoft Security essentials, Avast is better bur MSE does not require registering annually (more than once have I sen a computer which has been unprotected for 3 years because someone kept ignoring the requests to register)

#54 Damian Frost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 121 posts
  • Location....is key to business success

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

Lots of good advice in the thread. I always supplement whatever anti-virus I"m using with Ccleaner, Spybot S&D, and malwarebytes. Call me paranoid, but anti-virus is just anti-virus and needs to be supplemented by something that looks for spyware and malware threats.

#55 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostGorantir, on 09 February 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

i have to update or get a new antivirus in a couple days, i have norton 360 but i think they discontinued it and norton internet security has less features. they took features out to sell them seperately in utilities.i have been looking up bitdefender and kaspersky, im reading people have trouble with kaspersky 2015.what do you guys think and use?

Gor i use malewarebytes for a couple of years now and never let me down. Go too malewarebytes.com you get a 30 day free trial then it is only 25 dollars for a full year and that covers three computers. Macafee and Norton slow down your computer with pop ups all the time.

#56 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 09 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm doing the OP more of a FAVOR just by telling him to Avoid Norton's and McFappy then ANY of the other posts that have been put up currently, and i'm not kidding about that.

ALSO: Not a Clanner Slick, it's called a 7 day contract.

EDIT: Quick question, have you run a business in Computer Repair etc, etc, etc, since 2007-08..??

If he wants free, he can download AVG 2015 and one of the other free Anti-Spyware/Maleware programs, or Avast and the same combo.

There are several free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware/Spyware out there that will do the job just fine when used together.

Paying for Anti-Virus programs is not needed, I haven't for YEARS, a combo of free programs will do the trick, that and not going to hanky sites and torrenting.

I used to use AVG free.... and installed it on all my computers and my clients builds. I stopped using AVG in 2012, as that is about the time I remember it turning to $hit, IMO. I agree with you, I have also been building, servicing computers since 2007, and most of my clients problems came from Norton, and crapafree. Crapafree's older Anti-virus embedded itself in one computer back in 2007 so deep, it couldn't be uninstalled with out downloading special software from crapafree.

Stray very far away from their products, they suck! If I ever buy a laptop, (never buy a desktop since I build them) I do a clean install of the OS as soon as I get it. I have been using Microsoft's security suit since I stopped using AVG, and its free. I have never had any problems with it to date. When Windows 10 gets here, and I think even Windows 8.1 comes with it installed within the OS, so no need to run anything extra with the newer Windows OS's.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 March 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#57 Euphoric1RW

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

I would not use Macafee or norton, A+ teacher turn me on to avast a long time ago and that is what the techies we using, that and AVG, they both have an antivirus that is free, you can get a free security suite from avast for cheap up to three computers when they throw out a sale.

Avast has a boot time scan that is real good.

#58 Euphoric1RW

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostKraegor, on 16 February 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Coming from a IT Professional that specializes in small business and home setup.

My list:

1. Malwarebytes Antimalware (Paid if you can afford it)
2. Bitdefender Free Edition
3. Microsoft Security Essentials

AVG and Avast! are great, but I have noticed significant slowing on machines with a lot of data. (They like to scan everything continuously and monitor everything). The list above are based on performance, ability to capture real viruses and system resource management. They are the most game friendly as well as lowest resource intensive without sacrificing protection.

Stay away from:

1. ESET NOD32 Antivirus
2. McAffee Antivirus/Internet Security
3. Norton Antivurs/Internet Security

ESET is a great Antivirus, but it made for medium size businesses to use and has build in Administration Tools for remote scanning. But all these things do -not- enhance performance, they degrade it.

Norton and McAffee are bloated beyond the point of sanity. I never ever ever install those unless a customer is adamant about having them.

Sounds good to me!

Edited by Vance Rezak, 21 March 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#59 Roaxis Stalomainis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

View Postdarqsyde, on 09 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

I use MSE only, and have for years. Never had an issue. And it's free, so...

I'm sorry, but MSE is complete junk. I used it and it missed 80% of all malware that infected the system because it uses an outdated malware detection system that malware has been able to bypass for the last 7 years or so. Microsoft Forefront is far better than MSE, but that's designed to be implemented in a large scale network. You could go with Avast Free in combination with Comodo Firewall, but I would only recommend Comodo Firewall if you know what you're doing and can make your own ACL configurations to block zero-day threats. Kaspersky is a good product if you go with the internet secuirty package, although that's me just looking at the list of Vendors. I used Avast! Internet Security for about 2 years and it worked well until they started trying to push their bloatware system tools on me. Kaspersky has a strong rating and lighter footprint, but if you have the system to handle it, I would go with G-Data instead.

#60 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Sorry for the necro, but....

I'm in the same boat. Been using Vipre but getting bloaty. People still suggest not using antivirus and focusing on just using an antimalware program?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users