Heat Override - The New Suicide Exploit

37 replies to this topic

#1 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

Noticed this particularly during the Kill/Assist challenge.

Players will deliberately overheat their Mechs to destruction to deny other players a kill or if they are the last Mech standing.

Out-Of-Bounds suicide has been a bannable exploit for a long time so maybe the overheat needs to be added, particularly during challenge weekends?

Either that or set the override back to its original 5 second state.

#2 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

Seeing so much of this lately!

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

I agree, suicide with the intent of kill deprivation should be a ban-able offense. Don't pass Go, don't collect $200, get 1 warning.

Now escaping and ejecting is another thing, obviously. But that's in CW.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 06 March 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

This will be an issue as soon as a proper exfil mechanic for obviously lost matches is introduced.

#5 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

It's only an exploit during challenges, but other than that using override is a legitimate tactic. The enemy is killing themselves so that you can win faster, why complain when you still get the assist which is 90% of the value of a kill?

Instead of making death by override a bannable offense, the devs just need to add an Assisted Suicide bonus that counts as a kill. They could give the last player to hit the target or the player to do the most damage this bonus, and it could apply to noobs that go out of bounds as well (while keeping this a bannable offense; the Assisted Suicide reward just allows players to continue on in their weekend challenge).

Everytime someone dies by override I expect to see an Assisted Suicide bonus to lol at, but no it isn't there :(

#6 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

Live with it guys, its a valid option to deny the enemy the kill.
This might teach the scavengers a lesson when they prey on the dying and ignore those who are still a threat just to get a kill.

#7 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

I've racked up a lot of suicides lately, but pushing the heat and going down is my prerogative- perhaps you think it's someone trying to deny you the kill, but it's actually not about you at all. I'd guess around 10% of my deaths are overheats now, and generally that winds up netting me an extra kill. I've only had the Adder for a week, but I've already taken down a dozen people who thought I was a free kill at the end of the game, but an override let me put 90 damage right into their chests, taking them with me. I was going to die anyway, and better to go down shooting than getting drilled out while I'm shut down.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

This is nothing new. You could overheat-suicide for as long as there was any override function at all (i.e. ever since this game existed period). Nothing has changed - it's just that it used to be that your override would time out and you'd accidentally shut down even though you didn't want to shutdown because you forgot to mash the override button every four seconds. Now that you don't need to mash it, you can overheat as intended. Or even accidentally.

Why should kill denying being an exploit or bannable offense? It's a game mechanic and it treads a fine line between what could be erroneously misconstrued as griefing and what actually is griefing. Sure, you're a {Richard Cameron} if you do it, but I don't think it's an exploit or worth punishment.

#9 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostTarogato, on 06 March 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

This is nothing new. You could overheat-suicide for as long as there was any override function at all (i.e. ever since this game existed period). Nothing has changed - it's just that it used to be that your override would time out and you'd accidentally shut down even though you didn't want to shutdown because you forgot to mash the override button every four seconds. Now that you don't need to mash it, you can overheat as intended. Or even accidentally.

Why should kill denying being an exploit or bannable offense? It's a game mechanic and it treads a fine line between what could be erroneously misconstrued as griefing and what actually is griefing. Sure, you're a {Richard Cameron} if you do it, but I don't think it's an exploit or worth punishment.

because it butthurt him as he didn't get his cbills.

#10 Isegrimm

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

If i find myself in a situation where the destruction of my mech is certain, i disable shutdown on purpose. The goal then is to dish out as much damage as possible before dying, be it through overheating or enemy fire. Every point of damage could mean the difference between a loss and a victory for my surviving teammembers.

I think in most cases this is the real reason for self-destruction, not just griefing.

#11 Durandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostIsegrimm, on 06 March 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

If i find myself in a situation where the destruction of my mech is certain, i disable shutdown on purpose. The goal then is to dish out as much damage as possible before dying, be it through overheating or enemy fire. Every point of damage could mean the difference between a loss and a victory for my surviving teammembers.

I think in most cases this is the real reason for self-destruction, not just griefing.

QFT right there...I never do intentional suicides, but I will overheat and engage when I know I'm dead and I'm trying to acquit myself well at the end of a match/firefight by taking someone with me.

That said, if you want people to stop suiciding on purpose when they know they're going to lose, impose a penalty for doing it too much. Say, within X number of hours, you get a few suicides forgiven (after all, maybe you dropped an arty in a crap spot accidentally), so we'll give 3-5 with no penalty. After that, if you keep suiciding, you start to get a delay before you can drop again. First, short delays...a minute or two. But keep doing it and the delay keeps increasing. Don't suicide for X number of hours, and it gets reset. That would sort out the abusers vs the people overheating to try and make a final difference pretty damn quick; the latter scenario happens far less often, so those people who aren't just suiciding to end a match won't see punishments.

That said, it's a fine line of what constitutes "suiciding too much"...I mean, if Isegrimm and I end up overheating in 10 matches and suiciding, but end up getting kills in all 10 matches that turns the tide and gets us a win...how do you quantify that? It's a slippery slope when you go down the road of punishing player behavior that may not be wrong at all.

Edited by durandal, 07 March 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#12 DarkExar

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostGlycerineOxide, on 06 March 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Players will deliberately overheat their Mechs to destruction to deny other players a kill or if they are the last Mech standing.

Out-Of-Bounds suicide has been a bannable exploit for a long time so maybe the overheat needs to be added, particularly during challenge weekends?

When some1 cooks himself it deserves a post for banning ? Seriously ???
Why not address 10 other REAL problems...
"I lost a kill or assist"
No words...

Edited by DarkExar, 07 March 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

New?

This has been older than dirt. It's happening more because override is easier, and unless you're generating over a thousand units of heat in a single volley (like 11 ER PPCs + ghost heat), you'll typically suicide with only coasting around 120 units of heat with ease.

It's a shame that overheating has to destroy your mech.

What if instead, it behaved more BT style... You had to wait until you cooled to 46.67% heat before you could boot back up. With overriding risking your pilot's life or consciousness where if you lose consciousness the mech automatically shuts down (and if the pilot dies then the mech remains alive for anyone to kill with ease, allowing them to have the credit).

So instead of an exploit to suicide with, you'd have a system that if you try to abuse it you will give the enemy an easy kill.

#14 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:51 AM

I was going to say something deep on the topic, but it has already been said a number of times, so I will just add my confirmation.
When I overheat myself to death, it is because I know I am toast anyways, so I might as well see how much extra damage I can do before I croak. :ph34r:

This is an especially interesting scene when I run my 6 PPC Banshee 3M, "Mauler". (Say what you will, it works wonders!)

#15 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Wait, what? I'm perfectly happy with people who decide to exit the combat area instead of making you chase them around the map or go and shutdown in some nook.

I'm saying bring the eject from CW into pug games too, and tie it with a proper salvage reward.

#16 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

When I "suicide" by overheat, it is simply because destruction of my mech is assured, and I am going to take as many enemies with me as I can. It is not griefing, it should not be punished. Now, when you drop in a match and someone shoots into the sky until they explode from overheating without engaging the enemy, that is a different story. OP, so you lost out on a kill, get over it. The assist pays more anyway.

#17 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

personally who cares if someone blows them selves up to deny you the kill, whats worse is forgetting you hit the bloody override then next you know you explode in basically a fresh mech. id like the option to go back to the old override function.

#18 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

Wait seppuku is not valid?!?!!

Edited by Bashfulsalamander, 07 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#19 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

I can understand where this is going but there are circumstances to which ppl are for some reason committing suicide in the game. One of the things which is normal is when a mech is Constantly overheating. it hurts the mech's engine. thus causes a death in game. Even if they aint using the override function in game, they can still blow up.

Like WonderSparks said, you will see pilots pull some last sec kill or something before they get cooked from overheating. I know ive done that.

If you want to blame someone for this happening, look at PGI. they made death by overheating very easy to happen.

Edited by Wing 0, 07 March 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Last match I played I got killed by someone who deliberately overheated themself to get the kill.

Fair enough. I take the same risk if I think it's to the team's advantage.

That's entirely different to the cowards who run out of bounds to preserve their fictitious k/d ratio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users