Let's Talk About Ping. At What Point Do You Start Actually Noticing A Difference To Your Gameplay?

475 replies to this topic

#281 Skollevolle Secound Line Star 2

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDropship 'Aljosha'

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

Here in finland I have good ping, and it is good 70 to 150 ms. I im interested that Australia is having bad ping. Sometimes is good to have low ping and usually is better to have ping og 100ms.

#282 Picone

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts
  • Locationqld, australia

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

Another Australian. My ping normaly sits around 270... It's playable, you just learn to accept that you need to factor in extra lead time and don't expect to do well since hit registration can be quite random. Even at this ping rate the lights jump around the map. The difference in ping between 270-330 is quite noticable, as rubberbanding and lag jumps etc start occurring for all mechs instead of just lights. At 300 the game gets ...interesting....Above 330 the game is unplayable.

Edit: I have noticed that MWO seems to run a lot worse than other online games, which I haven't had any trouble with.

Edited by Picone, 29 April 2015 - 06:45 AM.

#283 Frederik

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanberra Australia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Being from Australia I rang from 250 300 ping and fully agree with what the other Australians have previously stated, especially about hit registration varying.

#284 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Aussie here, typical ping to MWO is 280-300+, typical ping to other games on US servers 230-250.
Another game i play, i have a target flying across my screen at 500kph+ taking evasive maneuvers, i take aim at 500+m, adjust for my lag a few mm, fire a burst..Hits most likely a kill.
MWO, see a stationary target (mostly lights usually that notable light) fire an alpha greater in damage than his total armor, nothing zilch, missed? i doubt it, but still, happens so often i doubt im that bad a shot.
Ping? bahh no, been shooting at things with Aussie ping for 20+ years i can probably claim well experienced, just seriously bad networking and or bad servers..

#285 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Not sure if it was PGI, or if the Internet Gods have looked upon me with favor, but in the last few days, I've noticed that my ping (which was 2-3 times normal since early March) had settled back down to its historical level of about 50. Many thanks to Whomever Is Responsible. Long may it last!

#286 Cool will never die but you will

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a Cockpit

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

I have TW and I have about 30-50 ping per game.
I notice it effect gameplay around 400.

Edited by angryjohnny, 11 May 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#287 JayStrider

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Answer: 90-140

More info:
Lowest I usually see is ~80ms. I start sling-shotting around and notice SRMs flying right through enemy mechs at >100ms. Fairly frustratingly small window to find trouble-free gameplay in.

#288 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:51 AM

I am normally at 220-260ms range (specifically 242 ping exact give or take 1) and I usually have a good experience. Normally lights require some lag shooting but playing as a light I am no different from a player that has 50 ping when people are shooting at me. I have no such lag shield.

Sometimes I spike to 300 where small changes occur but nothing to noticeable but occasionally on rare occasion I go to 500 and this is where I have very bad issues but that can be packet lost

#289 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

Playing consistently around 250-300 ping. It do-able but it's definitely a disadvantage, more so when playing or aiming at lights. unplayable above 400 as far as I can remember from when it was re-directing me all over the place.

#290 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

I am usually in around 100-175ms.... anything around and above 300ms I start to notice some real bad stuff happening... Mechs popping here and there. shots not registering, rubberbanding, etc.

I'm in BC, Canada.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 15 May 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#291 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Im at 285-295ms usually and HSR is f*ucked.
Often I have some network bug where every second game my ping goes up o 325-335ms and HSR is just as f*ucked as it is when im playing th 285ms.

Playing against EU is the worst, 120-180ms... their damage migrates everywhere. No hitreg AT ALL...
I just had a match for the Phoenix Rising event where I (285ms) shot 3x SRM6+A at a 150ms Quickdraw at 70m (AND the quickdraw was STATIONARY) and I got nothing at all.
Infact im getting 2-3 instances of damage migration per match and 1-2 instances of no-hitreg-at-all per match.

I get similar bullsh*t vs really low ping player 20-50ms.

I get the most "consistent" network performance vs people with about 60-80ms.

If you are looking at ways to improve hitreg... please god please, I am more than willing to help you in any way I can...

Sincerely THANK YOU for looking into this

#292 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:33 AM

Yes finally asking the right questions about ping.

I am playing in Australia. my ping used to be back in the day of about 290. Lately its jumped up to 360 ping. The reason maybe my provider, but I have used ping zapper for a VPN to Losangelas server tube. They difference is my ping drops to 330 ping, but because of the direct routing the connection is stable, so my hits actually land every time but just with the delay of 330 microseconds.

I know they hit every time because I use the Orion loaded with 4xsrm6's, 2xmedium lasers & ac20. Without the VPN the hits dont register with alpha's, only half the time. I know this because I point blank shot a Adder & no damage.

But even i can conclude that people i know who play with a ping of 90 still get the issue of hitting targets & not registering. We think its a animation issue or hit box. You can even load up forest colony on testing ground & shoot the catapult in the right torso where the laser mounts are and the damage wont register. Maybe dead zones in hitboxes.

Just my observation considering I been playing since closed beta.

Also light mechs become invincible running at full speed around me when my ping is 300 +. lasers wont work, srm's wont work, only ac20 shots.

Edited by Xenois Shalashaska, 16 May 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#293 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 486 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

I have a consistent ping of 28, out of Chicago, one of the hubs of the internetz. My unit leader, Ljeto has typically somewhere between 9 -12, in toronto I think. For quite a long time I have heard people voice their belief that our pings are some sort of golden halo granting us superior gameplay, freedom from stuttering and lag, perfect hit detection. NOT EVEN REMOTELY.
Comparing notes, talking with squaddies and generally trying to figure things, we came to the conclusion that much to our surprise, our low ping decimates us, especially if we have consistent ping with no packet loss. HSR is very much a compensatory mechanism designed to help those with poor, high pings who are trying to get a passable game play experience from remote corners of the globe far from PGI servers. From everything we read, it seems that in terms of hit detection, it gives greatest weight to what the client SEES. This is not saying it is client side hit detection, but rather if Joe McAussie sees your mech running through a gap 300ms after you fully cleared it and were safe - fires his gun and hits you on HIS screen, likely you crumple and go down, even though to your perspective when you were running by him, he was shut down, or firing on a different target... because that was the reality his client had last reported, which was 300ms behind your reality (+ your ping in ms too!). Imagine our surprise then when we see lasers burn out of a ridge where no mech stands, or through a solid rock wall, because our client is reporting/showing the successful hit granted to that person through HSR.On our end, although we have low pings and could hope that the fact we see our enemy on screen will mean OUR shots will register, as always some degree of what our clients show is an estimation of what last was occurring when the server got the sluggish high ping version of reality from our target. Very often we will see someone power down in front of us, for example a firestarter boating 7 spl, trying to shred CT armor or get an XL kill, but hitting too much heat. Knowing this is a great opportunity, we alpha at the shutdown mech, only to find it teleport to the left or right, a correction induced by HSR where it is trying to see if we hit with our alpha and it discovers that the firestarter was actually 4meters further right and back, because he slid down hill as he powered off. Chain Fire only helps a little in this circumstance because as you perhaps start to fire a few lasers and trigger the HSR calculations and updates, the mech can continue to stutter, bouncing BACK to its original location, even though shutdown. You then just have to sort of spray lasers and pray some registers.This sort of behaviour also seems to be usable for great effect in some mid or high ping manuverable light mechs. Spiders, commandos, locusts, anything that has high accelerTion and decelleration buffs, and/or backwards movement speed buff can take advantage of HSR vs. other opponents w low or at least highly variant pings, to avoid damage. This is because even though 200-300ms really isnt that much time, it is enough that if you are face to face with a mech already dealing with something like convergence issues on a small mech in front of it, that same small mech constantly beginning to rock one way, then spammi g reverse throttle the other way, then yet again reversing while tapping a jump jet creates the perfect situation for HSR netcode to say the low ping client shot at a location that they predicted the high ping target would be, but where they were not actually because on their end they had already reversed throttle or hit jump jets putting them in a different location altogether... which the low ping player sometimes sees as teleporting, or a strange fast forward effect on the high ping target updating its position. Add to this, packet loss where the high ping distant player's positional data might sporradically be lost, but then updated to a location that the client of the low ping player had not expected and you can have some real struggles playing against others, despite your "Phenomenal" Ping. The client suddenly updates an enemy snapped around 180, or in mid air when you had been targetting legs... totally different locations than where your client had been showing them moving, or falling and making it much harder to lead them, tail them or even block them as they rubber bad around trying to push their CT into yours and fire torso mounted pulse lasers, etc in a way that cant miss (eg. spl firestarters).

Edited by Mad Porthos, 16 May 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#294 Zomboyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Australia...

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

generally around 280-320 ping and i experience a very similar state that many of the other Aussies are reporting.

having full volleys of missiles do no damage when you register a hit and having lasers do jack all damage when you get direct hits on a stationary target is very annoying and rage inducing

thanks for looking into this again

#295 D1rty0ldM4n

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Firstly...

View PostDavid Sumner, on 21 March 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

Actually. Asking us is pretty much irrelevant.
If we have a ping, that ping is pretty much all we know.

You should have the stats to run some numbers.
That should tell you about likely "enjoyment" levels.
If ping is affecting weapon choice, it's limiting options,
if it's decreasing Elo, W/L, Avg Dmg, time in match, etc, then it's reducing the "fun factor" by making you spend more time "waiting" than "playing"
If it's increasing Matches to level, time to get First Win of the day, etc, it's increasing the "grind" factor.

Avg Ping vs Elo - assuming Elo not broken (see below)
Avg Ping vs W/L - Use Total Matchs vs Losses, not W/L because your web site mech stats prove that Losses are not always captured if you leave the match early, so the ratio is wrong. And this is why I suspect Elo is also wrong. And yes, this was still happening as of the start of March 2015.
Avg Ping vs weapon types
Avg Ping vs KDR
Avg Ping vs Avg Damage
Avg Ping vs Avg time in match
Avg Ping vs Avg Ping of enemy vs W/L
Avg Ping vs # of matches played to get "First Win Of The Day"
Avg Ping vs # of matches per day
Avg Ping in Matches vs Avg Ping in CW
Avg Ping vs # of matches to get a mech to Elite or Mastered
Avg Ping vs Avg XP per match

View PostJon Cunningham, on 26 March 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

... the regional data makes doing stats on this a bit hard. Why are some Russian players better than some Canadian players, despite having much higher pings? There's regional shifts that cannot be accounted for from just ping values.

There's only so much I can collect from a cursory overview and I don't have the engineering hours to dedicate to a rigorous analysis. That's one of the reasons I ask. The other reason I ask is from time to time I get very valuable feedback about bad pathing or throttling and I want to keep that conversation open ...

Whilst there may be some other 'regional factors' that explain differences in these statistics as a starting point I have not seen a better suggestion on this thread. Short of getting on a plane and going to the land down under you won't understand differences in pings and how it may be effecting game play, mechanics and overall enjoyment (or frustration as the case may be).

I completely understand that you don't have the time to do this analysis so why not release the data to the players. I guarantee there must be at least a dozen statistical geniuses who would pull this data apart and analyse it for the community. Or is there something I'm unaware of that would not make this a viable suggestion?

Secondly there are LOTS of Australian/Oceanic players on MWO (there were more before too) who play this game because they LOVE it. Despite the fact that only about half their hits register (at best on a good ping day), despite the fact that they can't viably play lots of builds (plain lasers just don't hit for me anyway), despite the fact that missile locks take forever, that they can have damage register on their mech before actually seeing the hit or shot that did that damage, that zoom takes about half a second before changing each time, despite the fact that we have to mentally calculate the lead required on every target before firing even pulse lasers at it.

An oceanic server is really a must if you are serious about a world wide player base (or at least one south of the equator). Now I know this has been on every Aussie player's wishlist forever. Why hasn't it happened? My guess, money. It totally cannot be cheap to do. Got that.

So my suggestion (just a suggestion feel free to shoot down) get Aussies / other Oceanic players to pay for it. How?

Idea 1: Sell an Australian (and other oceanic region) flag camo for mechs (or cockpit item but lets face it camo would be way way cooler). Make a deal with us (your aussie players) that if we buy enough of this camo (please do a pack option so it's not lots of MC purchases) that you will purchase a server in Australia (or anywhere south of the equator). I know I would buy this to get a server here and I would probably even give money to those youngsters in my clan who couldn't afford it to make it happen.

Idea 2: Same as idea 1 but do it for every country with more than x players and pool the funds specifically to purchase server space in regions with the worst pings.

These are just two possible ways to make this happen... would love any other suggestions from other players; I'm sure someone could come up with something even better than this.

Edit: because I can't explain myself clearly - yes it was worse before.

Edited by D1rty0ldM4n, 16 May 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#296 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostMad Porthos, on 16 May 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Giant wall of text describing the woes of low pingers against high pingers.

The difference between your game play and ours ... this happens to us ALL THE TIME not just when we encounter a ping variance that has to be corrected by HSR ... what we see on our screen is ALWAYS time-late. You learn to lag-lead (or to only shoot at targets with minimal lateral relative motion). You learn to check [TAB] screen every now and then to see who has a widely different ping than you (so that you know what to expect).

And, you just deal with ...
  • gauss rounds coming from the front and coring out your back,
  • getting HSR-ganked after you're already behind cover,
  • over heating even though your screen clearly says 98%, because heat is server-authenticated, and
  • waiting for half a second to zoom or change vision modes, because your vision modes are frakking server authenticated.
Please forgive us high piingers if you have to deal with our pain every now and then ... this (edit: scatological expletive) happens to us every match.

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 16 May 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#297 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 16 May 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Yes finally asking the right questions about ping.

I am playing in Australia. my ping used to be back in the day of about 290. Lately its jumped up to 360 ping. The reason maybe my provider, but I have used ping zapper for a VPN to Losangelas server tube. They difference is my ping drops to 330 ping, but because of the direct routing the connection is stable, so my hits actually land every time but just with the delay of 330 microseconds.

I know they hit every time because I use the Orion loaded with 4xsrm6's, 2xmedium lasers & ac20. Without the VPN the hits dont register with alpha's, only half the time. I know this because I point blank shot a Adder & no damage.

But even i can conclude that people i know who play with a ping of 90 still get the issue of hitting targets & not registering. We think its a animation issue or hit box. You can even load up forest colony on testing ground & shoot the catapult in the right torso where the laser mounts are and the damage wont register. Maybe dead zones in hitboxes.

Just my observation considering I been playing since closed beta.

Also light mechs become invincible running at full speed around me when my ping is 300 +. lasers wont work, srm's wont work, only ac20 shots.

This my game play. Just look at how shots miss

#298 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 16 May 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

This my game play. Just look at how shots miss

Against the TBR (Target "F") at the beginning of the clip, there were some pretty wonky misses. If you had checked your ping (and his ping) around that time, it might tell a more complete story.

From the times when you checked the [TAB] screen and the end-of-round report, it looks like you had a ping of about 300+, and he had a ping of about 100+ ... that's usually enough to start giving HSR fits, especially when both 'mechs are moving.

The rest of the match, I didn't see a problem.

#299 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:16 AM

Is there a point in this thread now that Jon no longer works for PGI ? :unsure:

#300 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostShinVector, on 17 May 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

Is there a point in this thread now that Jon no longer works for PGI ? :unsure:

Is there any reason to assume that Jon is the only one who could possibly ever read anything posted in this thread...?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users