• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Raven....

STRIP ALL ARMOR & WEAPONS!!
Full Speed with Jumpjet!

Jump Jump and JUMP on every mech's head and never stop till you drop!

Jenner? Pfft, just run away.

#22 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

In part the choice ultimately depends on the role you want to fill. Personally I think it's kind of silly to load up a scout with a bunch of weapons when you could do a better job with that same role as a medium (be fast and still have a strong punch). If you're going to be a scout in the sense of relaying target information to your eagerly waiting missile boats then you'll want a raven. If you want to harass the enemy then maybe you want a Jenner in the prime configuration.

#23 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

As most people have already mentioned, the two fulfill different roles.
Feel free to look at the at the variants of both. (Obviously, in the MechLab you can change things up a bit, but the variants will give you the general idea of what the 'mechs were built for and maybe give you some ideas for customizations.)

Jenner: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jenner

Raven: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

#24 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Raven, so iconic. :)

Despite the lack of JJs, I find I'm the sort of player who very much prefers to keep their mechs' feet on the ground.

#25 Gbecool132

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

[color=#959595]I would take the Raven, solely because I have never been a huge fan of the way the Jenner looks. The Jenner is just plain ugly! Lol[/color]

#26 Tronchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm gonna guess Raven, since it was really designed for that. Although I do hold a special place in my heart for the little hunter-killer that could, Jenner.

#27 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Both are fine machines. Though personally I think the Raven is better because of the versitality; it has all those nifty gadgets that can make life miserable for the enemy team.

#28 iminbagdad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

What are those gadgets going to do though? It seems like you need los to be able to target /relay info. How are bigger computers going to help in the game?

Sorry if its a stupid question im curious about scouting too.

#29 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

I've always been a Raven fan. I specialized in the Raven on several MW4;Mercs leagues. I went out and found the other team and brought them into my lance's teeth. Running other lights and having the jump jets had been handy as much as they've cooked my goose too. I'd take the fancy electronics package and NARC over the JJ's any day. That's just my style. The other mech I spent a lot of time in was the Wolfhound. That was a great brawler, but again without jump jets. I am looking forward to see what the Devs do with the Raven and finding a way to make it work in my game play.

#30 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

as a person who fills the scout role quiet regerly for most games i believe i will either go commando or raven. theres always the moment when i shine my *** to the enimy team and they all charge me thinking easy pickings only to find my brother in a mad dog and my dad in the atlas hamering away and when they finally escape and think their safe the youngest of our family finishes em off with a missile barrage because ill be watching you :)

#31 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Well according to the TT you have 4 pieces of equipment of note on the raven: TAG/NARC/ECM/BAP.

TAG- target acquisition gear. This in theory will make your catapults LRMs home directly to the target. It should also work wonders with a commander who has unlocked air strikes, artillery, or naval bombardments. More or less this is a laser designator for mechs. We do not know if you have to paint the target or if you can just have your designator track the target (I'm really really hoping that your target will always be painted by the TAG).

NARC- shoot an enemy with a homing beacon that will show you where he is at all times and guide weapons like the LRM to the target. If you've ever played an engineer in BF3 you know exactly how this will probably work.

ECM- Electronic counter measure. Depending on what they choose to do here this could be reduce your detection profile, or reduce incoming missile accuracy.

BAP- Beagle active probe. Basically it detects mechs (presumably without line of sight) even when they are in a shut down state. This might even work against null signature modules.

If you want to run around really fast and spot things by literally running past them then you want to scout in a Jenner. You are after all built for hit and run style guerrilla attacks.

If you want to be a stealthy scout that only appears every now and then on radar while constantly showing your allies where the enemies are then you want a Raven. You'll know where your enemies are and where they are not (making it safe for you to hit people in the back with a NARC beacon followed by a few laser/srm hits before running away unscathed).

Here's a few links to the raven if you are interested:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

http://www.mechspecs...80-RVN-3L-Raven

Here's a link to the Jenner:

http://www.mechspecs...?5-JR7-D-Jenner

One last note.... the Jenner costs 3.1M (and is one ugly SOB) and the Raven costs 5.7M so there is a massive price difference.

Edited by Glythe, 01 July 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#32 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostGlythe, on 01 July 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

TAG- target acquisition gear. This in theory will make your catapults LRMs home directly to the target. It should also work wonders with a commander who has unlocked air strikes, artillery, or naval bombardments. More or less this is a laser designator for mechs. We do not know if you have to paint the target or if you can just have your designator track the target (I'm really really hoping that your target will always be painted by the TAG).

NARC- shoot an enemy with a homing beacon that will show you where he is at all times and guide weapons like the LRM to the target. If you've ever played an engineer in BF3 you know exactly how this will probably work.

A quick note, on the TAG and NARC. The TAG should require LOS since it is a marking laser. The NARC however should have the target painted for the remainder of the game.

Also, the price difference between the Jenner and Raven has more to do with the Raven's use of Ferro-Fibrous armor and an XL-engine as opposed to the Jenner's older design which uses standard armor and a standard engine.

#33 Erwiin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Post4braxas, on 01 July 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

Who are you gonna shoot first? Thing that's scary ugly or a unicorn?

The unicorn. They taste good.

#34 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

As a veteran light pilot, I have had experience running both Ravens and Jenners.

If it comes to straight recon, Raven is better suited because of its electronic warfare equipment. Bump up the engine to 120 km/h and you have a perfect scout.

The Jenner is a hit-and-run sort of mech. Run in, pop a mech, jump out. Its recon abilities are somewhat limited but the speed and jump jets make up for it.

#35 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

1. The jumpjets and other equipment is dependent on your variants available hardpoints.

2. Speed can definitely help you survive if your mindful of your terrain/surroundings.

3. Probably no less then 90 KPH.

4. Scout earns points for tagging enemy units and being a scout. it also gains points by shooting at enemies, since it obviously can't go toe to toe they have to be hit and run and strike from the rear when an enemy is engaged.

#36 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

What bothers me was the mention of equipment not taking a specific hardpoint in the mech. Meaning for example unless they have changed their mind you could run all the scout equipment in a Jenner. What then would be the point of a Raven?

On the other hand it might be funny to have an ECM Atlas.

#37 RedSquadPilot

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

I would just like to point out that the upgrade to the Jenner, the Owens, is equipped with all the fancy EW gear so there is a tactical doctrine for the Jenner to carry that type of gear. Not to mention, one of the Sorenson's Sabres Jenners was equipped with NARC in the cannon. If the devs are following the BattleTech sources the excuses they need to allow a Jenner to field the gear is there. As of now though its just speculation.

As far as scouting, speed will always help but never define your ability therefore a minimum speed is completely dependant on your play style. If you wish speed to be the advantage you secure before engaging, then go for more speed. It will help you fire up close and from behind plus offer you a means to dictate the engagement and open more avenues of escape should you lose control of the fight. But, it will make life harder to keep an eye on your opponent and follow through with your personal attack. Also, should you be lucky enough to fight with another mech against the same target it will make life harder to coordinate and you may trip each other up at a critical moment. A light mech can go anywhere from 97kph to 196kph so far, pick a speed that compliments your play style once you identify it. As for the money...well I know the Raven's weapon loadout, despite appearances, is more than adaquate to deal with an Atlas, even if the Atlas has a "decent" pilot behind the controls.

Good luck and we're all here to have fun so go buck wild and pick which mech you like the best, looks and diversity do count.

Edited by RedSquadPilot, 10 July 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#38 Tezkat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

There is another consideration, as this is a MechWarrior game and not vanilla BattleTech: Most games have given the Raven a full 360 degree torso twist range. This feature provides a small but very significant edge when dogfighting with other scouts, and it makes strafing runs against slower targets more practical, as you can still take potshots at enemies while in full retreat.

Also, the Raven is a prettier mech. By far. B)

#39 IronGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, trying to scam hip actuators from that seedy Liao Rep...

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostVosgedzam, on 01 July 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I'd say that's for Cicada. A medium mech goes 129.6 km/h is a good choice for the lights-killing mech.

Cicada is woefully under armed to get that speed. has the weapons of a locust at 40 tons

#40 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

View Post4braxas, on 01 July 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

Janner is ugly as ****, I'm piloting a Raven.
Who are you gonna shoot first? Thing that's scary ugly or a unicorn?

Shoot the unicorn. Nobody's gonna believe you saw one without proof. B) Scary ugly is everywhere for everyone to see.

PS: I'll have one of each in my mech bay.

Edited by Wiley Coyote, 10 July 2012 - 05:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users