32 replies to this topic

#21 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 04 April 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Seeing a lancemate slog through mastering the KTO, I have to say I would never run anything but the golden boy with 3ML 5LRM5 BAP

The 18 is the poorman's GB. 1 less energy hardpoint. The 18(C) stock load out is Baps 2 mpl and 5 lrm with I believe 900 lrm. The quirks give them 1100m range on the lrms.

#22 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

I wish they would add some quirks as incentive to the lore.

"Introduced in 2587 for the SLDF, the Kintaro was designed with one sole mission: tagging enemy units with a Narc Missile Beacon." --Sarna

I've built mine as my narc mechs, even got the narc modules. I think they should add narc quirks. range, cooldown

Prob most importantly is if you put a narc in center torso of a kintaro it gets penalized by the missile door delay. I think they should make the narc an exception.

#23 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

The LRM5 GB is an excellent support mech. It's just big enough to provide a decent lurm rain while being mobile and not taking up too much tonnage on the team.

Downsides are some of the launchers being low and hitting terrain easily, plus the mech size and lack of JJ- although with hoverjets being so bad at the moment that's less of a downside.

I'm not keen on the model texture either to be honest, it looks really rough and low res compared to most other mechs.

#24 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

I just wish we didn't have to wait until freaking JULY for the shadow cat. I want more viable clan mediums and lights, and I'm so sick of running heavies and the stormcrow.

sometimes I wish i had went IS just because of all the medium mechs available to them, like the Kintaro.

#25 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:07 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 04 April 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

Prob most importantly is if you put a narc in center torso of a kintaro it gets penalized by the missile door delay.

You can hit the / key to manually toggle it open and shut.

#26 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 04 April 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

I wish they would add some quirks as incentive to the lore.

"Introduced in 2587 for the SLDF, the Kintaro was designed with one sole mission: tagging enemy units with a Narc Missile Beacon." --Sarna

I've built mine as my narc mechs, even got the narc modules. I think they should add narc quirks. range, cooldown

Prob most importantly is if you put a narc in center torso of a kintaro it gets penalized by the missile door delay. I think they should make the narc an exception.

I often think I should use narc but I feel I get more mileage out of tag, especially in CW. You are right about the issue though, it should have a quirk for it.

View PostKilo 40, on 04 April 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

I just wish we didn't have to wait until freaking JULY for the shadow cat. I want more viable clan mediums and lights, and I'm so sick of running heavies and the stormcrow.

sometimes I wish i had went IS just because of all the medium mechs available to them, like the Kintaro.

View PostOtto Cannon, on 04 April 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

The LRM5 GB is an excellent support mech. It's just big enough to provide a decent lurm rain while being mobile and not taking up too much tonnage on the team.

Downsides are some of the launchers being low and hitting terrain easily, plus the mech size and lack of JJ- although with hoverjets being so bad at the moment that's less of a downside.

I'm not keen on the model texture either to be honest, it looks really rough and low res compared to most other mechs.

I wrote this thread hoping to bump awareness of this mech with the newer pilots, I think it has just been lost in the heap of IS mediums and smaller heavies.
More players playing it is the only way I see pgi will improve it. I talked more about its dmg average in the My Favorite Murder Machine thread. Haven't here because that can be argued is pilot skill vs mech ability. But you can only work with what you got no matter how good a pilot you are. I am a moderately skilled player and do ok in some of the other mentioned mediums like the Wolverine or Centurion but this mech just fits me better and my scores show it.
Ive played the 18 and 18(C) the most, Ive always Lurm boated and am trying to get away from that so have been playing the 19 and 20 more. The problem with energy weapons you get kills with less damage done. But here are some score boards that are a good indicator of where me and these mechs are.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I always forget about the other tabs on the scoreboard, would be nice to show the bonus difference.
Lrms are just bonus heavy so the 18s with lrm5 modules offer the wicked rate of fire that makes them bonus machines. If I solo kill an assault or heavy it usually is with at least 3 components destroyed. I usually always get the kill most damage done and savior kill on kill assists. Closer in with line of sight it pumps out enough ordinance to get brawling bonuses fairly regularly though I have no idea exactly what gets that bonus.

#27 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Played as a sneaky mech(think mini surprise Atlas without the ability to roll out after you are discovered) Kintaro is good fun as an SRM platform.

My gawderm GoldenBoy is a lulz and a half, hover around the team, wait for opportunity as you mostly go unnoticed, then step out and GANKSPLAT. It is a tricky bit getting into range, but it is mostly just waiting for the inevitable fuzzball to start and then blowing mech bit off left and right.

I guess in the more accepted sense of "brawler" the Kintaro is not one, in that it isnt very tanky. But it more than makes up for it in brawler support fire damage output.

PUG land of course, as discussion of all non tryhard mechs are.

#28 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe those are not noob friendly meks, but once you get it, its a joy to play with if fit your style. Some meks are not for everyone I suppose.
Got 1.66 K/D with KTO- 19

#29 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostEscef, on 05 April 2015 - 02:07 AM, said:

You can hit the / key to manually toggle it open and shut.

Narc should be the exception. Not having to do that. Let it keep the bonus armor and no delay.

This mech was built around the narc beacon.

This mech had ONE job to do..........can't do it that right. :lol:

#30 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

KTO-18(C) - 1.54 KDR in 329 games. It's a little beast. I have run it with SRMs (ASRM as well) and am currently just running 2mpls and 5xalrm5 with 1200+ rounds.

Strip armor and wib-wub the critters to death. I tend to enjoy the medium mechs the best, so CDA, KTO, TBT, HBK and BJ (quirks have almost nothing to do with the best way to play this little mech - dumb as hell what they've done to it) and Griffin (in pretty much that order) are my go-to mechs.

I do play the Shadow Hawks but don't really like them all that well - they feel a bit sluggish to me. I admire guys that do well in the Cent, but I suck in them. Wubverine is fun and the laser version ~doesn't suck~, it's just not very exciting.

#31 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

Love my Kintaro. They bring the missile ******* like no other and with their speed they are an excellent kiting mech. Launch a UAV, keep them at 200 to 300 and just spew away.

#32 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

View PostUtilyan, on 05 April 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

Narc should be the exception. Not having to do that. Let it keep the bonus armor and no delay.

This mech was built around the narc beacon.

This mech had ONE job to do..........can't do it that right. :lol:

Totally right.

View PostAstrocanis, on 05 April 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

KTO-18(C) - 1.54 KDR in 329 games. It's a little beast. I have run it with SRMs (ASRM as well) and am currently just running 2mpls and 5xalrm5 with 1200+ rounds.

Strip armor and wib-wub the critters to death. I tend to enjoy the medium mechs the best, so CDA, KTO, TBT, HBK and BJ (quirks have almost nothing to do with the best way to play this little mech - dumb as hell what they've done to it) and Griffin (in pretty much that order) are my go-to mechs.

I do play the Shadow Hawks but don't really like them all that well - they feel a bit sluggish to me. I admire guys that do well in the Cent, but I suck in them. Wubverine is fun and the laser version ~doesn't suck~, it's just not very exciting.

I call the 18(C) my favorite murder machine, wish I could get it as a title. I gave on laser up for tag for cw.

View PostTed Wayz, on 05 April 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

Love my Kintaro. They bring the missile ******* like no other and with their speed they are an excellent kiting mech. Launch a UAV, keep them at 200 to 300 and just spew away.

Yes they do, tier 5 cooldown and chainfire and 1 double heatsink gets you a heat management of 1.55 and the ability to garden hose until you are empty on any map in the game.

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 05 April 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Maybe those are not noob friendly meks, but once you get it, its a joy to play with if fit your style. Some meks are not for everyone I suppose.
Got 1.66 K/D with KTO- 19

Now those are some impressive scores.
Thats what I want people to see. This mech packs the ordinance for it.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 05 April 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#33 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

ehh I miss looked it, is 1.88 actually for 73 games now
and no lrm on it, I run it as brawler

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 05 April 2015 - 06:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users