• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Hi all,

A while back I've built the following computer:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4FQMdC

I understand that Mobo is an overkill for the CPU I got, but it is a Mobo to be used in the future when I upgrade the cpu, so it is something that I got thinking of the years to come.

Now, I'm nearly at a time to get a GPU, since I've been playing MW:O in medium/low settings without any graphics card and getting between 20-35fps.

My goal is to be able to play this game and high/very high settings to enjoy the eye-candy at 1080p with frames never going below 35-40.

What kind of GPU would you recommend for me to get?

I'm planning of spending a max of 400 Eur but will be open to valid options above that value.

Thanks

#2 Krimpet Longsaber

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The GTX 770 that I have is in a very similar build as yours. It runs great, all highest settings and the frame rate is never below 40. I paid $340 USD when I purchased it, and it looks like the price may be a little higher now but should still be in your range. I'd say try something like this or one of the newer generations of the same GPU.

I play numerous games with this and have never been let down, and don't regret not spending more on the 780.

Hope that helps.

#3 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

If you wish to purchase now, I highly recommend the GTX-970. Fantastic bang for your $

Just do not get upset about that it only have an effective 3.5gb of Vram at full speed.

View PostBreakReaver, on 20 April 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spoiler

Hope that helps.

Why spend more for older, slower tech?

Edited by Lordred, 20 April 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#4 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

GTX 770, GTX 780, (maybe) GTX 780 Ti, GTX 970, R9 290X - rumor has it new AMD cards are coming soon that could be in that price range, too.

Edited by xWiredx, 20 April 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

Adding one more thing:

If I played without a GPU for over half a year now, I can certainly wait a bit more if it makes sense to get a better / cheaper deal.

All the GPU's referred will be taken into account, although the GTX-970 with that issue of those 3.5 + 0.5 makes me a bit worried.

Why? Imagine I buy it and plan on using SLI in the future. I will either have to bet on another GPU and buy 2 of them or get "stuck" with this one and those 3.5 GB memory limits... I just don't know and am here to get some ideas and/or enlightenment.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

The 3.5GB/0.5GB thing is pretty much a non-issue. From some HardOCP testing, you're either about to bump up against the 3.5GB point but never quite make it or you blow past it depending on the game settings+resolution. It's somewhat rare that a game will use that extra bit in any way that is detrimental. If you're going SLI with brand new cards, you're probably looking at higher resolutions, in which case we are starting to find that cranked settings is going from 4-5GB of VRAM, and in that scenario we've already broken the top-end limit of the card anyway. If you want to go SLI, wait and plan on a more expensive card that has 6-12GB of VRAM. If you're staying at 1080p, just get the 970 if that's the best performer in your price range right now.

#7 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 20 April 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

… rumor has it new AMD cards are coming soon that could be in that price range, too.

Maybe: http://www.guru3d.co...5-3-driver.html

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

Let me try that again: http://www.maximumpc...ter%E2%80%99300

#9 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

Looking at the German pcpartpicker (Not Sure what the price difference would be between Poland & Germany), The Best Cards in your Price Range is the Radeon R9 290/290X or the GTX 970, of those options I'd likely say 290X to Avoid the 3.5/0.5GB Issue.

http://de.pcpartpick...186,130,152,146

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

Wait for AMD's next generation, it may change the landscape (If they manage to release them before Nvidia begins it's next cycle)

#11 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

if 1080p is your max resolution, then something like a R9-270X/GTX 960 is enough.

I run a 7870 at 1080p0 at very high(no AA), and rarely does it drop below 60fps.

As has been demonstrated in other threads, by people more dedicated than me, MWO is CPU limited for the most part. MWO is not very graphically intensive(relatively), so it doesn't require a high end GPU to get the most out of it.

Edited by darqsyde, 20 April 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#12 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

can you possibly bump the CPU to an i7?

#13 Wesxander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

Currently when I run my nearly new AMD R 9 280x with 6gig the most it ends up using is 2.89 gig of gpu RAM.

IF I had your budget I would look at 290 x with 6 gig ram to take advantage of new games coming out soon that make use of the gpu RAM. Another advantage of the 290 X as I understand it is wireless crossfire. Meaning no more bridges if you make the 290x the dominate card. This also lets you pair the 290x with other cheaper AMD cards in the future for even better performance.
That said MWO runs better now with the new 64 bit version on 970's. The AMD's run fine but there are a few quirks now and then.

I might have gone with Nvidia 970 except it was for Christmas as gift from family and all the retailers raised the prices and said out stock. Moving the price 80 dollars past the suggested amount. That put it way out my budget.Another turn off was my old card couldn't be linked to the 970 had to be another 970. That made it huge costly if ever wanted to upgrade via a second GPU.

Hope this info helps with the decision.

#14 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 20 April 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

can you possibly bump the CPU to an i7?

I bought these parts to make the computer with a budget, hence the CPU but if I need to get an i7, the MBoard will handle it and this way I know I didn't limit the possibility of upgrades.
So answering, I probably will get an i7 but just not now.

#15 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 20 April 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

Hi all,

A while back I've built the following computer:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4FQMdC

I understand that Mobo is an overkill for the CPU I got, but it is a Mobo to be used in the future when I upgrade the cpu, so it is something that I got thinking of the years to come.

Now, I'm nearly at a time to get a GPU, since I've been playing MW:O in medium/low settings without any graphics card and getting between 20-35fps.

My goal is to be able to play this game and high/very high settings to enjoy the eye-candy at 1080p with frames never going below 35-40.

What kind of GPU would you recommend for me to get?

I'm planning of spending a max of 400 Eur but will be open to valid options above that value.

Thanks

W8 for the 380/380X or the 390/390x by AMD - then you should decide to wether chose one of this cards or buy a Nvidea GTX 970. If you wanna have a new card now go for the 290X or a 970. Everything above is not worth the price diffrence for normal gaming within 1080p/1440p.

#16 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

Eyecandy?

what are you talking about? :)

i play on a notebook, with gt750m, of course not 1080, but beside the higher resolution for bigger screens then the 17" of my notebook don't expect to much.

MWO graphics are not ugly - but really - i would not call it eye candy - hope you won't be dissapointed

#17 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

gtx-970 all the way! 3 guys i know have them and they absolutely embarrass my 7970, as they should lol

#18 0verClock

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

I'm playing with GTX 650ti + G2120 CPU (yes, not even an I3) and I'm happy. I don't set graphics to high anyway, less effects = clearer target.

#19 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 21 April 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

Eyecandy?

what are you talking about? :)

i play on a notebook, with gt750m, of course not 1080, but beside the higher resolution for bigger screens then the 17" of my notebook don't expect to much.

MWO graphics are not ugly - but really - i would not call it eye candy - hope you won't be dissapointed

I understand what you are saying but when I say eye-canky I'm actually comparing the visual effects I'm used to see at medium/low settings atm and the ones I'll see with high settings.

Those I can see in some youtube videos but cannot see when I'm playing or my FPS count will go lower than 20 making the game virtually unplayable (although I've played this game with frames between 9 and 12 for a few months, I know how hard it is to play at low FPS count and want to leave those days behind while seeing some nice effects).

View Post0verClock, on 21 April 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

I'm playing with GTX 650ti + G2120 CPU (yes, not even an I3) and I'm happy. I don't set graphics to high anyway, less effects = clearer target.

Indeed you are right, but I'm at a point where the competition isn't all the fun for me, it's about enjoying all the extra effects the devs put time developing and I can't enjoy... for now ;)

#20 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 21 April 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Indeed you are right, but I'm at a point where the competition isn't all the fun for me, it's about enjoying all the extra effects the devs put time developing and I can't enjoy... for now ;)

To enjoy all effects with a reasonable FPS every Card worth 200to 250€ should do it. Like a 280X, GTX770 or GTX960 what replaced the GTX770. However if you wanna have a cad that provide some power for the next 2-3 years you better go with a GPU what has at least 3GB RAM to support all upcoming games what are not that well optimized in VRAM usage like the desater of Watchdogs. The 280X for exampe would serve this in 1080p but when you will jum to a bit better eye candy on a 2560to1440 resolution a card like the 290X or 970 with 3 to4 GB VRAM is the way to go. And if you have a bit more time you will go for the replacment card of the 290X. If the CPU is doing ok in this game you will have a FPS near or above 60FPS depending on gamemode and settings.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 21 April 2015 - 08:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users