What's More Enjoyable? Winning If A Roflstomp Roll, Or Losing In A Close Fought, Down To The Wire Last Man Standing Battle?

68 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Just a serious curiosity question.

You see, so often, I hear the basic mantra "Only Winning is Fun", in computer gaming these days. It's a mindset I reject, perhaps because I am not 1337, or perhaps that mindset is why I will never be such.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. When I say GG at the end of a match, whether it's a 11-12 slugfest, or a 12-1 roll, it's not to insult the other side, but for the same reason sports teams do a post game handshake after. To show respect and to remember...it's only a game. So for me, it's definitely the lose a close fought, down to the wire battle. Winning by any means, finding the path of least resistance.... I find it boring. So I champion the Urbanmech, the Vindicators and other bad mechs. Because making them work, having a 600 dmg/ 1-2 match in one of them, for me, is 10x more satisfying then running my Timberwolf and getting 5-7 kills and 1000 damage.

But I am curious about the mindsets, and thoughts of people on all sides of the equation. There is no right or wrong answer here, as "fun" is subjective, and thus varies from person to person. (Some people find math fun, after all. go figure, lol) This post may seem biased, but that's because I can only really speak from my own perspective. I'm curious to hear yours.

And please. Let's at least try to keep this respectful to each other.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

I prefer losing a complete stomp than winning one.
Well, as long as i'm not the first one to bite the dust, that is!

But yeah, a close match, victory or loss, is always more fun than a stomp

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 24 April 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#3 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

I personally enjoy a good close fight, bonus points if it's a tight brawl! Win or lose I'll take a close fight over a stomp any day of the week. And like you Bishop I much prefer to run the 'bad' mechs over the competitive mechs, the challenge of them adds to the fun. Quickdraws = :wub:

#4 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

Losing a close fight.

hands down.

#5 Vickinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 195 posts
  • LocationInside You

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Either you win or lose, its not a close loss you still lost.

#6 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

I fight for cbills because i like to tinker. But I love the fight, a team W/L is separate from a personal W/L. My favorite mech is the Kintaro 18, I wreck with it because its a blast to play hard.

#7 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

I hate losing, but I can respect my opponent and the game if it was a hard fought battle.

I don't mind losing a fair fight to an opponent who was better that match. I do mind losing to a stacked deck.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 24 April 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#8 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 24 April 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

I do mind losing to a stacked deck.

exactly

#9 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:32 PM

Doesn't Matter to me as long as it seems everyone;s having fun and not being a crybaby, had matches where we lost(stomped) but everyone was cool and the "gg" didn't sting :P other times wed have a 9-12 us losing and enemy says "gg" and nothing but QQ from our team how "IT WASNT GOOD GAME" "SCRUBS" people with tinfoil hats. and when we win once in awhile still the baby crying cuz he died first few seconds of the match calling the rest of the team "surat droppings" and yet we win... idk people just make or break the atmosphere good or bad.

Either way depending on how I did i usually get my 100-300k cbills and some exp. so still grinding my way to something :P better than a negative.

#10 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Just a serious curiosity question.

You see, so often, I hear the basic mantra "Only Winning is Fun", in computer gaming these days. It's a mindset I reject, perhaps because I am not 1337, or perhaps that mindset is why I will never be such.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. When I say GG at the end of a match, whether it's a 11-12 slugfest, or a 12-1 roll, it's not to insult the other side, but for the same reason sports teams do a post game handshake after. To show respect and to remember...it's only a game. So for me, it's definitely the lose a close fought, down to the wire battle. Winning by any means, finding the path of least resistance.... I find it boring. So I champion the Urbanmech, the Vindicators and other bad mechs. Because making them work, having a 600 dmg/ 1-2 match in one of them, for me, is 10x more satisfying then running my Timberwolf and getting 5-7 kills and 1000 damage.

But I am curious about the mindsets, and thoughts of people on all sides of the equation. There is no right or wrong answer here, as "fun" is subjective, and thus varies from person to person. (Some people find math fun, after all. go figure, lol) This post may seem biased, but that's because I can only really speak from my own perspective. I'm curious to hear yours.

And please. Let's at least try to keep this respectful to each other.

For me, in order:

1) Losing a very close fought game.
2) Winning a very close fought game.
3) Winning a roflstomp
4) Losing a roflstomp.

Why is losing first in #1? I've got this Heroic Last Stand fetish. What's more, if it's a close fought game, I'm playing as hard as I can. If I won the game, I don't know. Did I play my hardest? Or only as hard as I needed to? I'm a very lazy pilot after all. But if I LOST a close game, I know I did my best, and they still beat me. Thus, there's definitely something to learn from that match.

As to roflstomps, while I'd love to say I don't like winning them, I won't lie. It's not as fun as a closer match win or lose, but it's better than being stomped.

The upside to losing roflstomps is that by nature it happens fast, so at least it's over quick.

#11 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:13 AM

As to GG: I mean it when I say it, no matter what the outcome is. I never mock people who lost a game... unless they trash talked a lot at the beginning, I'll admit. And by GG, I mean it was a good game for me. That may be any of the four situations above: Just because I like losing a roflstomp the least doesn't mean I didn't have a good time.

Because, in the end? I like playing this game. A lot. And if I'm NOT having fun playing, I go do something else. and come back when I'm in a better mood for it.

And while I occassionally fail, I do sincerely try to show good sportsmanship at all times. Sportsmanship is critically important.

#12 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

The most fun thing imo are those rare games, when you win by base cap at kill count around 2:2. You know, when assault mode has a meaning. ;)

#13 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

A hard fought battle is always awesome, even if you lose.

Stomps are always boring, but it's obviously better to be on the winning side if you can.
And stomps in CW are just terrible: you are being farmed for 30 minutes of your time. Fun. <_<

However, i don't think that stomps are identified by score: i've seen very close 12-3 or something similar where the winning team was made up of cored, one legged, disarmed mechs.

#14 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

Love a good close fight, regardless of who wins.

Extra points if it ends up as a close-range brawl, especially if people are using cover and fake-outs.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:22 AM

I like a close fight, although I get emotional either way (both win or loss - I still prefer to win).

The thing about the rolfstomp is that it's just too common in this game.

A close game is honestly Lostech and is a rare unicorn.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 April 2015 - 12:23 AM.

#16 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:29 AM

Losing close match is 100500 times better, then winning roflstomp. Personally for me the more effort I manage to put to win this match, no matter would it win or lose - the more enjoyment I get. If the only thing, I managed to do during this match - is several random shots, then this match was terrible for me.

#17 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 April 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

I like a close fight, although I get emotional either way (both win or loss - I still prefer to win).

The thing about the rolfstomp is that it's just too common in this game.

A close game is honestly Lostech and is a rare unicorn.
I get them quite frequently. I consider anything 8v12 very close, because of how matches snowball, but even really lopsided scores can be close games depending on the shape of the surviving mechs. Two teams that both take tons of damage without losing people through balanced trading? AwAs soon as one mech falls, things snowball very fast. Doesn't make the match less of an close game.

Likewise, you get those matches that look lopsided because one team crushes the other, but you know it'd have gone the other way completely if their flank had been timed just a bit better.

#18 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

The point of every competition is to win.

#19 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:44 AM

Without a doubt i prefer a close game, i don't really care if it's a win or a loss. Usually as the game progresses and the score is close, it leads to smart play, people playing to the limit of their mechs and using every resource they can.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

So I champion the Urbanmech, the Vindicators and other bad mechs. Because making them work, having a 600 dmg/ 1-2 match in one of them, for me, is 10x more satisfying then running my Timberwolf and getting 5-7 kills and 1000 damage.

I'm in the same boat, i also like bad mechs like the vindicator, quickdraw, locust, awesomes, dragons before the quirkering, i know they lower my kdr (that stat i don't care about), but having a match where you perform well with them is very satisfying and that can't be measured in numbers.

Edited by patataman, 25 April 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#20 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:51 AM

Any match which ends 12-11, 12-10 is a good game IMHO.
Those are the games I enjoy the most. More so when it gets down to the wire....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users