Clan Mechs Too Fixed/nerfed To Be Popular?

Balance BattleMechs

78 replies to this topic

#21 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Just being honest. I am likely going to a Merc Unit once they are recognized in CW unless I get lured into joining a Clan faction permanently. My favorite mechs are in both factions.

The mechs are close to equal except that Clan mechs are locked out of Mechlab and left with really just lasers and SRMs or LRMs. And mechs like the Summoner are virtually ignored by PGI even though they have tossed it a bone in some sub-standard Quirks. Opening Clan Mechlab to some equipment changes would force a balancing to occur and players would have more input in making the mechs all work.

#22 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

My experience with my summoners so far.

IS pilots laugh at closing the distance with clan laser vomit mechs, because they're piloting laser vomit mechs that run much cooler and have way higher dps due to quirks.

IS mechs don't fear cuac20, but they hate lb20x or gauss. Basically, the normal autocannons are a joke to them, but ballistics that send a lot of pain to a small area are not. People twisted and ran from gauss or lb20x, since those tended to destroy components rather than spread damage.

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 25 April 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Na easy mode isnt popular.

The entirety of human history disagrees with you. ;)

#24 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

I think cost is one of the main factors limiting the number of Clan players. A minimally viable Clan drop-deck is roughly double the price of a minimally viable IS drop-deck.

For example: To drop 2x HBR and 2x SCR - it will cost you over 55M CB for the chassis, and over 70M CB to elite them.

To drop 2x TDR and 2x SHD - even with doubles and endo, it will cost about 27M CB for the chassis, and 36M CB to elite them.

Even if the IS drop-deck costs as much in the long-run (new engines, etc.) the barrier to entry is that much higher for a Clan drop-deck. It's a lot easier to grind 5M CB, buy a Shawk and derp around in it until you can afford the upgrades, than it is to grind 11M CB for a Stormcrow. That will put a lot of players off the Clans.

#25 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

The reason why clan mechs have more powerful energy weapons is because of the locked engine rating, slots, and equipment. For clans to gain anymore tonnage they have to sacrifice hit points or they just stay with the same amount of available tonnage. Clans can't gain more power through tonnage so the weapons account for the possible custom builds they are going to face against on the inner sphere side but those weapons come at a cost of more tracking time skills from the pilot.

This is different for the Inner Sphere mechs though. They can reduce their engine to gain tonnage for more weapons to add into their builds without sacrificing hit points. They can upgrade to endo steel structure and ferro fibrous armor to gain more tonnage too. That tonnage can be used to stock the heaviest weapons into the lighter weight classes like the 65 ton jagermech with two ac 20's or two gauss rifles. compare that to the mad dog, hell bringer, or cauldron born that can't mount two ac 20's or two gauss rifles without sacrificing their hit points for it.

That tonnage can also be used on a mech chassis that already has enough hardpoints to boat the weapon types a Inner sphere pilot wants. This makes the clan advantage of swapping hard points not an advantage against the inner sphere because the Inner sphere already has a mech variant that can perform the way the pilot thinks or knows is the best way for them.

Haven't anyone noticed that the holy trinity of the clans is the top weight mech of three different weight classes. Storm crow 55 tons, Timber wolf 75 tons, and the dire wolf 100tons. Those mechs have the highest available tonnage to use which is why those clan mechs are the most powerful.

The inner sphere only need a mech variant with the right combo of hard points to match their weapons on a mech that is the top weight of each class to easily surpass the clan load outs on their top weighted mechs. When this happens clans wont have any advantage over the inner sphere. It might not be possible for PGI to escape doing this either sense they have a lot of mechs to add into the game over time. There's probably a mech variant out there that they will stumble on that will do this.

In community warfare the top weight of each weight class matter's less because tonnage decides whats being brought to the battlefield not the weight class limits of 3333 in public que. Currently clans are at 240 ton max which is 10 tons lighter than the inner sphere drop deck at 250 tons max. This means from what I've just explained is that Inner sphere has 10 tons more power to use than the clans. With the ability to use any weight class of mech variant the Inner sphere can bring mechs that have the right combo of weapon hard points with their tonnage gaining customizations and quirks to match or exceed the fire power of clan weapons. There are Inner sphere premades that are doing this.

Every 5 tons higher a mech weight class is, increases the amount of hit points that it has available to use. Inner sphere having 10 tons more to use in their drop decks gives them this hit point advantage to use over the clans. If the timberwolf laser vomit meta build stood still shooting through the stalker 4N laser vomit meta build it wouldn't win against the stalker 4N's laser vomit build because of the hit points and quirks the stalker 4N has over the timber wolf. Those builds have the same 54 firepower. They may not be the same tonnage of mech but in CW player's can choose to bring what mechs to fight each other at a time. Seeing 12 stalker 4N's on a premade vs 12 timber wolves is not impossible to see happening in CW.

The trade of tonnage to get the stalker 4N into the drop deck is just using the 10 ton increase over the clans. There's no trade or loss of tonnage to get it into the drop deck like the 75 ton timber wolf in it's three 55 ton storm crow drop deck. The inner sphere can have a 55-55-55-85 drop deck mimicking but being better than the 75 ton mech in the clan 55-55-55-75 drop deck. The inner sphere also currently has the best light mechs which this free's up tonnage to be used somewhere else. This creates the 35-65-65-85 ton drop deck. Now they can beat two of the storm crows in hit points and laser vomit with thunderbolts. That's three out of the 4 clan mechs in the 55-55-55-75 drop deck being out ton by the Inner sphere.

A some of clan player's say there isn't a viable clan light to play. The only one is the arctic cheetah which is going to be released in July for mech pack buyers and then be released for C bills and MC at a later date. If that clan light mech was here, clan drop deck could be updated to a 30-65-65-80, 30-60-65-85, 30-55-75-80, 30-50-80-80 or 30-60-75-75.

The recent quirks that add more hit points to be shot through on some clan mechs can help this tonnage imbalance if player's choose to use them to fight the current inner sphere premade CW meta. Although, some Inner Sphere Mechs also have the additional hit point quirks but the stalker's doesn't have them.

Edited by ArchSight, 25 April 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#26 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 April 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

All lasers, IS and Clan, should return to TT stats, CUAC 10 and 20 should become 2 shot ACs, while the 2 and 5 are single shot, but with double rate and a fairly high jam chance if you DR. Clan ERPPC should be a 13/15. IS LRMs should spread like Clans, SRMs in general should fire in a volley like Clan LRMs, prolly improve hit reg on them a bit, and improve their accuracy alot....

Ya know the Mechcommander intro raven when he fires his SRM at that Timby? Yeah that is how they should fire.

Only if I start seeing Battlevalue.

View PostMystere, on 25 April 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

War isn't supposed to be fun and interesting.
This is a game, though.
Biiiiiiiiiig difference

#27 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 25 April 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

I define viable as comp worthy, so I suppose that's where the issue lies.
As for... well usable I guess would be the best word, there are a few. Maybe 2? The uac one and the AC20 one and that's about it.
If someone sticks a gauss or LRMs in a DDC I just wanna cry though.

My 2xLPL/AC20/LRM20A Atlas has no problems being in the middle of my team to cover them with ECM, can punch at enough of a distance that I don't have to either somehow sneak up on you or advance through the open to hit you, and won't be hung out to dry if I get left behind a bit by my team.

Versatility > "one meta fits all", at least where god-mode-quirks aren't involved.

View PostMystere, on 25 April 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

I think you should study more history. Japanese history comes to mind.

The real bottom line with history is that nothing is simple.

Edited by Telmasa, 25 April 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#28 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 25 April 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

I think you should study more history. Japanese history comes to mind.

The real bottom line with history is that nothing is simple.

Most people take the easy way out.

It's the rare individual who make a difference. Some were even persecuted or worse executed for being "different".

#29 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 25 April 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

My 2xLPL/AC20/LRM20A Atlas has no problems being in the middle of my team to cover them with ECM, can punch at enough of a distance that I don't have to either somehow sneak up on you or advance through the open to hit you, and won't be hung out to dry if I get left behind a bit by my team.

Versatility > "one meta fits all", at least where god-mode-quirks aren't involved.

I mean, you can play what you want, but I guarantee that mech is either too hot or too slow to be of use in situations where you'd actually want an Atlas to begin with.

#30 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

Honestly, I don't play clan mechs because they're too expensive to buy. And clan trial mechs suck... Once I get some space bucks saved up, I'll probably get some. I really think I'll like the Summoner, and I want to try Adders and Kitfoxes.
*edit: double post.

Edited by ShinobiHunter, 25 April 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#31 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 25 April 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Clans already have easy mode mechs out classing anything the Inner Sphere has.

Why would Omni mechs have unlocked engines and unlock hard points while inner sphere mechs have locked hard points and unlocked engines. Really? Really?

lol said omeone having the FS9 as a possibility for his dropship.

View PostBurktross, on 25 April 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

War isn't supposed to be fun and interesting.
This is a game, though.
Biiiiiiiiiig difference

For some people it's not.

Edited by Lily from animove, 25 April 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#32 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 April 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Only real benefit of Omnipods is not even in this game...logistics.

If we had a repair timer on our mechs between games, the Warhawk would be signifcantly faster to fix then likely even a Hunchback. Seeing as the CLan engis just need to pop off the broke pods, slap on a new one, rewire it and done. While the HBK engis are going to have to tear the mech apart, repair this, remove that, fix the AC that got wrecked, place the whole thing back together and it would just take a loooong time.

Agreed. I would be rather excited if CW ever evolved to a point where this became a relevant factor. I doubt it will ever happen though. If it does, it will be years in the making.

Until that unlikely day, any advantages of omnipods are out weighed by the fixed slots and locked engine sizes. With so few clan mechs available to choose from, your options are actually quite limited.

Edited by DoctorZuber, 25 April 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#33 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

As to the OP's question of whether or not Clan mechs are any good.

I would have to say yes. It is true that the short list of mechs, fixed engine sizes, and fixed slots make them effectively less configurable than IS mechs.

But there is also the advantage of clan XL engines, and clan weaponry. Being able to pack more firepower and survive the loss of a side torso is no small advantage.

The selection of clan mechs is still very limited, but growing. I think as more mechs are added, more and more players are going to start finding the Clan side of things more attractive.

#34 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 25 April 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

That sucks, because it is.
:P

#35 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 25 April 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

Said someone having Timberwolves and Stormcrows for his dropship ;)

#36 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

View PostUrsh, on 25 April 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

My experience with my summoners so far.

IS pilots laugh at closing the distance with clan laser vomit mechs, because they're piloting laser vomit mechs that run much cooler and have way higher dps due to quirks.

IS mechs don't fear cuac20, but they hate lb20x or gauss. Basically, the normal autocannons are a joke to them, but ballistics that send a lot of pain to a small area are not. People twisted and ran from gauss or lb20x, since those tended to destroy components rather than spread damage.

I laugh at clan mechs mostly because their aim is poor and mine is not.

#37 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

View PostDoctorZuber, on 25 April 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Agreed. I would be rather excited if CW ever evolved to a point where this became a relevant factor. I doubt it will ever happen though. If it does, it will be years in the making.

Until that unlikely day, any advantages of omnipods are out weighed by the fixed slots and locked engine sizes. With so few clan mechs available to choose from, your options are actually quite limited.

And given CLan equipment is so nerfed down....yeah....

#38 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

I play both IS and Clan 'Mechs and I don't feel, that Clan 'Mechs are overnerfed - I still can pull 1k dmg match in my DireWolf, if MM will stop putting me into roflstomp lose streaks and I don't even abuse MegaOP builds, like 6xC-UAC5 or 4xC-GAUSS, cuz it's...boring???

But I agree, that I like Clan 'Mechs much lesser, then IS. I guess, it's due to lack of some kind of "engineering" and optimization work, needed to make certain build work perfectly. First of. Omnipods are killing all the purpose of having different 'Mech variants - you just create some ideal variant (DWF-B or DWF-S torso with DWF-Prime arms for example) and that's it. You can easily throw all other variants into trash. That's why I don't swap Omnipods and use Clan 'Mechs' variants the same way, as I use IS 'Mech variants, cuz, you know, arm with only one hardpoint - is...trash and is felt like a waste of game's resources.

And the second - lack of progression. Yeah, I need to pay 2x price for avg Clan 'Mech, but as the result I get almost optimal variant, I need to perform only some minor alterations to. No optimizing work at Smorfy, no experimenting with builds - just buy and go. It's for noobs, not for me.

TL;DR Clan 'Mechs are ok, but they're boring.

#39 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

i feel unlocking Endo would help even if just alittle, adding needed Player choice,
and it would only at most add 2-3 Tons to those that need it anyway,(LOOK HERE)

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 18 April 2015 - 07:59 PM, said:

Current Mechs that have Endo and will not Change,
Lights(MLX)(KFX)(ADR), Mediums(IFR)(SCR), Heavies(TBR),
(so to recap the SCR/TBR will not be buffed by this change)
-
Mechs without Endo that will Change and gain more Tonnage(+Number=ExtraTons)
Mediums(NVA+2.5), Heavies(MDD+3)(HBR+3)(SMN+3.5), Assaults(GAR+4)(WHK+4)(DWF+5)
(so to recap the DWF can get +5Tons, but it needs Space more than it needs Tons)

-Possible Fixed Endo Locations-
NVA+2.5= 1HD(-), 1STs(-1DHS of Space in STs), 2Arms(no UAC20),
HBR+3= 1CT(-), 3STs(no UAC20 & limiting DHS&Ammo to Arms&Legs),
DWF+5= 3STs(no UAC20/Gauss in STs), RL(limiting DHS&Ammo to Arms),
All these Locations can be changed for Balance if needed!
-
-Because the Below Mechs have Ferro-
MDD(8.5Tons of Armor)= -Ferro(-1Ton) +Endo(+3tons)= +2Tons After Switch,
SMN(9.5Tons of Armor)=-Ferro(-1.25Ton) +Endo(+3.5tons)= +2.25Tons After Switch,
GAR(11Tons of Armor)= -Ferro(-1.5Ton) +Endo(+4tons)= +2.5Tons After Switch,
WHK(14Tons of Armor)= -Ferro(-1.75Ton) +Endo(+4tons)= +2.25Tons After Switch,
Assuming a Ferro to Endo Switch is allowed with these mechs,

#40 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 25 April 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Stalker 4N, pimped modestly, $12,717,119 CBills

Mad Cat Alt D, $15,117,000 (est.) CBills

....................... less than 2.5 million CBills difference and the Stalker 4N is an easy to field laser-boat with minor heat problems. It's better damage than the Alt D and that's no question, of course the Alt D is fast.

So again the CBill cost is a non-issue. It's what you can do with the Mechs.

That 2.5M difference is all the difference. You are looking at estimated ~36 million C-Bills to buy 3 stalkers and equip them properly to master out, vs ~46 million C-bills to buy 3 Timberwolves to master out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users