I've Heard "shutdown Is Right Around The Corner" For The Past 1.5 Years...

95 replies to this topic

#1 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

I'm so sick of you doom and gloomers. Every time PGI releases something for us to buy, it's a "money grab," "last ditch effort," "to avoid shutdown." This game has been going strong for far longer than I've been playing (which is a year and a half at this point) and has only been improving since I've joined. There has been new blood coming to this game (I've personally gotten three people interested and spending money on the game), lots of free content has been released (new maps, game modes, CW, events, rewards, etc.) and PGI has been more candid and honest with us now than ever in the past. These mech packs are the way PGI makes money. We like them because of all the incentives and bonus compared to buying content with MC, it's a win win for everyone.

Please, stop with the doom saying and go back to enjoying the game.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

*shrugs*

A game that not longer draws my attention is no different than dead in my mind. Until E-Jaguar comes out for C-Bills, or PGI creates a HAMIB, I will most likely hover my mouse over the MWO shortcut for few seconds, and then play Hearthstone instead.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 May 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

This thread is doomed.

#4 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 May 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

*shrugs*

A game that not longer draws my attention is no different than dead in my mind. Until E-Jaguar comes out for C-Bills, or PGI creates a HAMIB, I will most likely hover my mouse over the MWO shortcut for few seconds, and then play Hearthstone instead.

Or queue for CW and then play more Hearthstone than MWO anyway because queue times. At least that's what I did.

#5 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

In High School I broke up with a girlfriend that I couldn't stand any more, but I still got jealous when she started dating other guys. It took a good deal of self reflection to understand and overcome those emotions.

Many nerds are like that with their video games too. They grow tired of a particular game and then can't stand it if anyone else still likes it. Drives them nuts.

#6 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostFragnot, on 01 May 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

In High School I broke up with a girlfriend that I couldn't stand any more, but I still got jealous when she started dating other guys. It took a good deal of self reflection to understand and overcome those emotions.

Many nerds are like that with their video games too. They grow tired of a particular game and then can't stand it if anyone else still likes it. Drives them nuts.

This.

If someone posts "THIS IS THE WORST UPDATE EVER AND IT KILLS BABIES LITERALLY IN REAL LIFE OHMYGOD LOOK AT ALL THE DEAD BABIES!" and it turns out that babies aren't dying it seriously messes with their heads, as the only option is either that they were wrong (which people don't like admitting) or people just aren't listening enough so they have to say it again and again and again. They don't actually care about the truth of the matter, they care about being proven right regardless of the cost or situation because otherwise they have spent time/money/effort on something that they didn't enjoy as much as they hoped they would (or they just grew out of, because playing a game for more than 6 months is actually kind of a new thing in many ways.

For a great example see RuneScape, which has now been months away from total collapse as the worlds worst game over the course of 14 years, several million accounts, and several hundreds of millions (quite possibly billions) of turnover.

Conversely you'll also get people that will never admit that there is anything wrong with a game, and will carry on playing it / defending it long after they have stopped having fun, for almost exactly the same reasons. Because people are funny that way.

Edited by Raggedyman, 01 May 2015 - 09:45 AM.

#7 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

You want to see a sea of angst and continual predictions of the death of MWO going on 3 years?

https://forums.rober...hwarrior-online

It's a very cathartic thread. It's like reading Dear Abby. You can't help but feel better after reading it, knowing that you're not those people.

#8 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostAsrrin, on 01 May 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'm so sick of you doom and gloomers. Every time PGI releases something for us to buy, it's a "money grab," "last ditch effort," "to avoid shutdown." This game has been going strong for far longer than I've been playing (which is a year and a half at this point) and has only been improving since I've joined. There has been new blood coming to this game (I've personally gotten three people interested and spending money on the game), lots of free content has been released (new maps, game modes, CW, events, rewards, etc.) and PGI has been more candid and honest with us now than ever in the past. These mech packs are the way PGI makes money. We like them because of all the incentives and bonus compared to buying content with MC, it's a win win for everyone.

Please, stop with the doom saying and go back to enjoying the game.

Longer than that lol.

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

MWO was supposed to die when it left closed beta as well, and yet here we are.

#10 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 May 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

*shrugs*

Clearly it draws your attention, despite your claims. Why else would you stalk the forums like a jilted lover?

#11 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostHeffay, on 01 May 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

You want to see a sea of angst and continual predictions of the death of MWO going on 3 years?

It's a very cathartic thread. It's like reading Dear Abby. You can't help but feel better after reading it, knowing that you're not those people.

What is with all the people always trying connect this game to SC? A bunch of people I used to play with quit this game for SC and are always trying to suck more people into that pyramid scheme and it seems SC's playerbase is full of former MWO players.

#12 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

The end is near.

#13 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

"A game that not longer draws my attention"

And yet, you responded to the OP here in 5 minutes....?

#14 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 01 May 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

This thread is doomed.

Closed at any second.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

Clearly it draws your attention, despite your claims. Why else would you stalk the forums like a jilted lover?

Cause it is more fun to browse the forums than actually playing the stale old game. Plus, I want the game to become better so I can actually want to play.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#16 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Some of us don't actually want the game to fail but are still genuinely worried about certain decisions being made.

For example. while I have nothing at all against mech packs and PGI's need to make money, the rate at which they are coming out with them lately does alarm me a bit, especially since they are going to run out of mechs.

It doesn't seem like a sustainable business model, so a part of me wonders if it is due to sheer financial desperation.

Granted, a part of me does want them to run out of mechs so they'll be forced to monetize a PVE campaign instead, something I desperately want :ph34r:

#17 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostHeffay, on 01 May 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

Wow... People are just so upset if something they want to like isnt the way THEY think it should be, and anyone who disagrees with them or is fine and having fun that person must be a moron.

But if youd like me to start on what was wrong with people these days, Id need more time. :)

#18 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostBilbo, on 01 May 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

MWO was supposed to die when it left closed beta as well, and yet here we are.

I'm wondering if we have more players now than when the game initially hit open beta. Of course, we'll never know since the guy who coded the original player counter left and PGI can't recreate it.

#19 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 May 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

What is with all the people always trying connect this game to SC? A bunch of people I used to play with quit this game for SC and are always trying to suck more people into that pyramid scheme and it seems SC's playerbase is full of former MWO players.

Just wait. These same SC fanboys? they were here for MWO in the beginning. And when it didnt turn out the way they imagined it, they cried promises were broken (which werent lol) and tried to torch it. But it didnt work. And guess what? they will do the exact same thing when SC comes out and its not what they magically hoped it would be. Chris roberts has his check, and will keep getting those checks. But theres no way SC could ever live up to these guys dreams. But the best part? They still come around MWO forums, talking trash, like that ex you broke up with who says they hate you but keeps coming up with reasons to talk to you...

#20 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Just wait. These same SC fanboys? they were here for MWO in the beginning. And when it didnt turn out the way they imagined it, they cried promises were broken (which werent lol) and tried to torch it. But it didnt work. And guess what? they will do the exact same thing when SC comes out and its not what they magically hoped it would be. Chris roberts has his check, and will keep getting those checks. But theres no way SC could ever live up to these guys dreams. But the best part? They still come around MWO forums, talking trash, like that ex you broke up with who says they hate you but keeps coming up with reasons to talk to you...

^^ Truth spoken....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users