Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

#2 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

Always love to watch the master at his craft.

Only if animations and 3d models were on the same level... ;)

Seems like the mauler concept was done back in last november... intended to be put onto the first resistance pack maybe.

Edited by Navid A1, 02 May 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#3 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

Guys, you don't hide a beauty like this:
Posted Image
You show her to the world! (in high-quality resolution, please)

PS: now I know how the contemporaneous of the great Renaissance artists felt when watching them work. Alex Iglesias, you are the da Vinci of the mechs and I'm honored to witness history being made.

#4 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Really incredible stuff. Here's hoping the Crab has both of those Right hand "pincers" when it's released, with the King Crab's "missile bay door" effect going. They look incredible and it'd put that technology to use on more than one mech. Even if it's the more "claw-like" hands, hopefully they open and close for the lasers to fire.

Fascinating to watch the concepts get crafted, as well. How long does it take to craft each one? The time lapse looks like it covers a good many hours (just from what we saw). Also, when will we see those up on the Concept Art section on MWO's Media Page? I love being able to admire the full size, high resolution images of the mechs.

Edited by Sereglach, 02 May 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#5 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

And, comparing the Resistance II Mauler with this one from the video, I found they are slightly different.
Here are the two of them, side by side:
Posted Image
I wonder if Alex Iglesias did two different versions or just changed later one of them.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

That was really cool, watching Alex work!

#7 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 May 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

And, comparing the Resistance II Mauler with this one from the video, I found they are slightly different.
Posted Image
I wonder if Alex Iglesias did two different versions or just changed later one of them.

Based on its faction oriented paint (and the date of creation mid november last year), i'd say that it was intended for resistance 1. (resistance 1 mechs had faction specific paints on their concepts)

#8 Shunuke

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Awesome! I'd love to see more of them concept art time lapses, could be slower though, so that I can see what Alex is doing.
Animations need work!!! -since Navid A1 poked at it in the first post

#9 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

Posted Image

The arms of Mauller are different in their rotation 1 the mobility but roataçao 180 degrees while the second version the design limits its rotation angle of the arms of 100 degrees but more upright.

#10 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 02 May 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

Based on its faction oriented paint (and the date of creation mid november last year), i'd say that it was intended for resistance 1. (resistance 1 mechs had faction specific paints on their concepts)

View PostK19, on 03 May 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

The arms of Mauller are different in their rotation 1 the mobility but roataçao 180 degrees while the second version the design limits its rotation angle of the arms of 100 degrees but more upright.

Still, there are other differences... the torsos, the head, the missile launchers... maybe one Mauler is the special geometry?

#11 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostOdanan, on 03 May 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Still, there are other differences... the torsos, the head, the missile launchers... maybe one Mauler is the special geometry?

The second one actually looks like it's just had more polish and refinement. There's more distinctive details and the concept looks more polished. For instance, look at all the areas that are just kind of shaded over on the basic concept. The finalized concept has those areas lit up with exceptional detail in them.

#12 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

i have to say, the video of creating the concept art is fantastic

#13 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

From what I've seen in other games, ussualy there are several, up to a dozen of different initial sketches being made for a single thing, and than they look between them and choose and continue improving the concept regarding to what they think is best. It's not just as he makes it up in one afternoon and it's done.

Edited by NeoCodex, 03 May 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#14 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

View PostNeoCodex, on 03 May 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

From what I've seen in other games, ussualy there are several, up to a dozen of different initial sketches being made for a single thing, and than they look between them and choose and continue improving the concept regarding to what they think is best. It's not just as he makes it up in one afternoon and it's done.

true... but as you can see... the first one is pretty finished. notice small details like faction insignia, texty bits, small decals.
I still say that it was already finished for first resistance pack.

#15 Alex Iglesias

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMech Hangar

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

The orange mauler was an earlier pass that i did sometime last year before it was officially part of any particular pack.

For Resistance II, one of the goals was to get all the mechs in a matching colors this time around instead of the usual grab-bag of paintjobs I used to do, so I had to go back and repaint the mauler.

While i was doing that, i noticed a bunch of things that i felt needed adjustment to the pose and proportions and some details, some of it was to prevent gigantism, some of it purely aesthetic.

#16 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 04 May 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

The orange mauler was an earlier pass that i did sometime last year before it was officially part of any particular pack.

For Resistance II, one of the goals was to get all the mechs in a matching colors this time around instead of the usual grab-bag of paintjobs I used to do, so I had to go back and repaint the mauler.

While i was doing that, i noticed a bunch of things that i felt needed adjustment to the pose and proportions and some details, some of it was to prevent gigantism, some of it purely aesthetic.

Very interesting to learn, but why do most of the joint areas and detail areas on the newer concept seem shaded over and covered up? It seems to lose a lot. It actually makes it look like it's the older of the two concepts.

#17 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Well.. It looks so much better with the Kurita camo :(

Edited by CyclonerM, 04 May 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#18 Alex Iglesias

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMech Hangar

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostSereglach, on 04 May 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

Very interesting to learn, but why do most of the joint areas and detail areas on the newer concept seem shaded over and covered up? It seems to lose a lot. It actually makes it look like it's the older of the two concepts.

some unintentional darkening as i was adjusting color and contrast, mi culpa.

#19 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 04 May 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

For Resistance II, one of the goals was to get all the mechs in a matching colors this time around instead of the usual grab-bag of paintjobs I used to do.

Very sad. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users