#1 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

Hi guys!

I don't have that much experience with heavy mechs yet, so I'm wondering what would be the best heavy mech for brawls? I'm actually preferring survivability over damage output this time. I'm sick of playing XL heavies which one has to play like a slow medium mech. I want something that is more like a mini assault.. something that can eat some hits without falling apart. What would be your recommendation?

Thnx for help!

edit: IS heavy mechs that is

Edited by Jalik, 06 May 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#2 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

You can try Cataphract models 1X, 2X and 3D with an AC20. The 2X seems like the best choice, with the option to also carry 2xSRM4 in the left arm.

#3 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

To me, one of the best Brawlers is the CTF-3D
Also it is one of the most versatile mechs around, after using it for brawling, you can set it up for skirmishing or ever to snipe.

Reasons for it to be one of my favorite brawlers:
1 - STD engine
2 - Potential 40 PP damage alpha
3 - JJ's help a lot maneuvering in a fight
4 - I've even been able to get some kills at 20% armor (or less). If you know how to spread the damage, this thing take a whole lot of time to fall
5 - After unlocking speed tweak, it has a very decent speed which helps a lot at brawling

It's just a survivor:
Posted Image

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:42 AM

timber?

#5 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

I feel the cataphracts are somewhat stiff around the hipp. Is there something with a highter torso twist rate? Usually, this is most important for my success as a brawler.

#6 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

Cataphracts are also notoriously easy to ST core.

Have you considered Orions? They are called the pocket Atlas for a reason.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:26 AM

I will recommend the Thunderbolts, pretty much all of them tank like an assault while moving REALLY fast for their weight. They are also built in like a brick wall, in appearance, and hitbox. With proper torso twisting you will last for days under withering fire, and they hit pretty hard.

View PostLunatech, on 07 May 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Cataphracts are also notoriously easy to ST core.

Have you considered Orions? They are called the pocket Atlas for a reason.

The Orions are also a great recommendation. They are my favorites to use in close range combat against clans (point blank AC 20, with SRMs, and ML goodness never disappoints). They can roll damage well, but beware of their left shoulder, it's a bit more exposed, so mounting an XL in there is not unheard of, but it can be risky. So if you do it, go for as big of an engine as possible.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 07 May 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#8 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

As an ON1 enthusiast, I second the Orion motion. They have good hitboxes (when you get used to them), tons and tons of armor and the ability to face tank entire teams and come out alive (albeit losing a few things). Their weaknesses are their XL unviability and therefore being forced to bring STD engines and low-mounted hardpoints, forcing them to come out to fight. Another minor weakness is the inability to boat a specific weapon, although some variants come with up to 4E or M hardpoints. Being forced to bring mixed weaponry makes them a perfect candidate for brawling (in an ideal brawler you'll want all three weapon systems), but this also bars them from participating in whatever meta is prevalent properly (currently laser vomits and lots of dakka) so the public has taken a dislike for them. Not to mention brawling is probably one of the hardest playstyles out there.

With a STD300 engine (the most balanced engine for it), you can have 32.5 tons of space for weapons and equipment, which is pretty respectable. A STD ON1 will absolutely wreck anything (bar some crazy DPS builds like UAC5 Dires) at close range. They also come in all flavors:
  • K for the best brawler. 4xML+AC20+2xASRM4 (or drop the SRMs for bigger engines) for example, is ridiculously strong and the quirks make this 'Mech run pretty cool.
  • VA for the missile master. With the module, SRMs on this thing can reach out to 374m, which is insane. Not that you can hit anything fast with it, but you can perfectly harass Assaults with it. LRMs can also be hilarious on this thing if that's your preference.
  • V for dual dakka and ridiculous laser quirks (-25% duration). It also gets a 25% ballistic speed bonus which makes aiming AC20 a breeze.
  • M for balanced builds. It has 40% cooldown quirk for the LBX, but its usefulness is debatable. With a 3M+3E+B layout you can pull off decent generalist builds.
  • Protector for the "best of" Orion. 2B+2M+3E. The LT E is high mounted and combined with the ballistics it can be a decent sniper/peeker. It can also be a beastly brawler or a second-line 'Mech. A true Swiss-Knife 'Mech in MWO.
It's a tough 'Mech to run compared to a TBR, but it's extremely rewarding at the same time. Also a good 'Mech to master a few concepts (spreading damage, positioning, managing exposure) since it's not very forgiving. BUT when you start to do well with it, you'll not only get much respect from others but you'll also be instantly good in any other comparable well-rounded brawler.

Edited by Tahribator, 07 May 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#9 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

I gave the Thunderbolt 5S another chance today. Only got basic skills so far but it runs surprisingly well with 2xSRM6+Artemis, 2xLL and the biggest STD I could fit with a reasonable amount of DHS. It's not even skilled out but it tanks really well thanks to plenty of armor and decent torso twist. since I play PUGs only due to time constraints, the mix of srm6 and LL provide the much needed versatility. will continue to master it, eager to get the 2x bonus :)

Edited by Jalik, 08 May 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#10 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, Tbolts and of course Timberwolves are the apex heavies.

#11 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

Orion or Quickdraw 4H with an STD-engine.

#12 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

I'll definitely give the Orion a try. Saw a Protector build with 3xLL and a Gauss, which I found looked really well. However, I might switch the Gauss for something more brawl friendly. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to purchase the Orion Mastery Package...

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostJalik, on 08 May 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

I'll definitely give the Orion a try. Saw a Protector build with 3xLL and a Gauss, which I found looked really well. However, I might switch the Gauss for something more brawl friendly. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to purchase the Orion Mastery Package...

Should you give them a try, here are three build suggestions you can add to your library:

1- Protector

2- ON1-K (this is my "clan buster"

3- ON1-K (This one is experimental, but that Orion can move, and twist like a ballerina.)

#14 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

View PostJalik, on 08 May 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

If it's not too late, I think you should pause and consider before you go Orion.
I love mine, but it took me a long time to find my comfort zone with them. They're somehow odd in how they come together. They're a bit sluggish, but also don't pack quite as much firepower as it feels they should (unless you XL... which is dangerous).
But, part of my difficulty with them was wanting to have some range presence before the brawl happens. As an exclusively brawl mech (i.e. the pocket Atlas), they do superb.

I realise my post isn't super clear... I apologise. All I recommend is you dabble in Smurfy, read a bit about them, and see if you can find builds that interest you. For some reason I found them challenging to build.

#15 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

Timber's, Cataphracts, Thunderbolts are all excellent brawlers IMHO with each playing very differently. I love my Ilya 3x UAC5 3x ML though don't play it anymore.

I've been running my recently elited Thunderbolts and with STD engines they are hard hitting, durable, little mini-assaults. None of them I feel really "brawl" well as you need to be able to take damage best done in assaults but they're very good.

Thunderbolts being extremely inexpensive too make them attractive.
TDR-5SS Thunderwub 7x MPL is the best
TDR-9S 2x ERPPC, 4x MPL has been fun but not yet the high damage I'd like.
TDR-9SE with 3x LPL 270STD has been pretty good, still working on it.

Edited by Jorunn, 09 May 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostVoq, on 09 May 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

If it's not too late, I think you should pause and consider before you go Orion.
I love mine, but it took me a long time to find my comfort zone with them. They're somehow odd in how they come together. They're a bit sluggish, but also don't pack quite as much firepower as it feels they should (unless you XL... which is dangerous).
But, part of my difficulty with them was wanting to have some range presence before the brawl happens. As an exclusively brawl mech (i.e. the pocket Atlas), they do superb.

I realise my post isn't super clear... I apologise. All I recommend is you dabble in Smurfy, read a bit about them, and see if you can find builds that interest you. For some reason I found them challenging to build.

It's true. Speaking as an Orion pilot myself. It's best to specialize them for a specific range. Trying to be decent at all ranges, ends up leaving you very weak, when you close in.

If you are going to make your Orion centered around skirmishing, then slap only one or 2 MLs in there, and the rest should be ERLLs, and such, and try to stick to long range.

In this game specializing in a specific range is the optimal thing to do, but it's more true for the Orion chassis. Orions don't have enough hardpoints to play multiple roles. So be very specialized, and make terrain your best friend.

#17 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do some smurfy action before I pull the trigger on the orions. Since I play PUG matches exclusively, I usually prepare myself for long and medium/short range combat... you never know what you'll need. But this time, for a change, I want the tank playstyle. Thus, sticking to short range combat is intended.

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostJalik, on 10 May 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do some smurfy action before I pull the trigger on the orions. Since I play PUG matches exclusively, I usually prepare myself for long and medium/short range combat... you never know what you'll need. But this time, for a change, I want the tank playstyle. Thus, sticking to short range combat is intended.

Did I see in an Urbianmech on Crimson Strait about an hour or so ago?

#19 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 May 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Did I see in an Urbianmech on Crimson Strait about an hour or so ago?

nope, not me. I got the urbies (of course) but didn't play them yet.

#20 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostJalik, on 10 May 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

nope, not me. I got the urbies (of course) but didn't play them yet.

UM-R60

UM-R63

Those are two builds I am using. I already Basic'd the 63. Some of my games, when I played smart, and utilized my ERLL right, I did upwards of 500 damage. (I had a game where I literally dealt more damage, than an entire lance, and more than any one player on the enemy team)

You can also remove one ton of MG ammo, or half a ton, and a JJ to add in AMS with half a tone of ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users