173 replies to this topic

#81 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

Haha! Sound good! Like I said before this last patch the commando was glass, with the new buffs it is much more improved.
In fact, I've been shocked to see it used by some comp teams in CW every now and then. Probably more for goofing but it never showed up there before. Also the SRMs hit detection seems improved so that's where it's strength lies.

#82 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

All right, it's on. I've just posted up my last WHM-6D match and I've been spending some quality Smurfy's time today looking at builds.

THE COMMANDO CHALLENGE IS ON!

#83 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Dude this is not fun. I think 12 Commando matches (including a couple I had to rejoin after a client crash and I was already dead) I think maybe 2 wins. I can't carry a low tier team in a Commando.

Brutal.

I've Basic'd out the COM-1B with 3 x MPL and a 240XL. I've now moved on to the COM-3A with 2 x SRM6 and a ML, 200XL (which I had lying around).

I bought 3 Commandos for under 3.5 million (on sale, yay!), I spent 10 million setting the 1B up (I had to buy an engine and a module) and I still fscking hate it. I spent 2 million more on the 3A. Even if I Master all 3 (which is emphatically not going to happen) I'll still take a loss on the approximately 900,000 matches it would take. I'm hemorrhaging PSR like you wouldn't believe and most importantly, I'm not enjoying it at all.

I remember now why I gave up on lights.

#84 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

Commandos are my babies. The 2D is always my favorite, I usually run it with streaks, but you can swap them for bigger SRMs. I think most people mess up with them because they run max engine in them (On the 2D for example, I always ran XL 195). You need a handle on your speed, and frantic aiming, also, make sure arm lock is off for fast light mechs.

#85 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ics-101-comics/

#86 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

Wow very impressive if the 96 mechs in your signature are all the ones youve mastered. I havent even Owned 96 mechs but I only have 3536 group cue matches and 6 and 1/3rd days total played.

#87 testhero

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrloff, Dutchy of Orloff

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Hi cleghorn6 friend request sent
I can see where joining a group would drop the number of drops you can cram into your busy day. So keep on with what is so obviously working for you.
The less obvious benefits to dropping with a group have really upped my game often for no effort on my part.
It is the advice that you get like 'Yo dude Unlock your mech's arms!' The MGA guys I drop with showed me how to:

Set up my MWO client, Changing the in game settings eg. Turn off window glass effects, drop the mouse sensitivity.

Set up my windows settings; Goodbye forever stupid mouse enhanced pointing

Change my default DNS server. This right here dropped my ping by 20ms in the EU, 60ms N.in Am. and by over 140 to 300 in Singapore.(don't get why it is called Oceania)

As you are on Telstra there is gain to be made here for you! If you haven't already tweaked this. My bro is in Wellies NZ and just by swapping to Google DNS dropped up to 120 ms off his ping to N.Am making energy boats playable there rather than a huge messy fail. There are lots of free DNS's out there some experimentation might net even bigger gains. If the add revenue picks up you might even squeeze a private DNS into the budget. It is real easy, when I did it I was like 'that was so simple why did I never think of that.' (might make that Medium laser Crab more fun)

Get me off the for the birds wireless AC link I was connecting to the router in the big house with by suggesting Power-line adapters

Find the right Guides like 'Catalina Steiner did a great guide on HUD icons and How to be a good Missile boat pilot'

Your pug direction skills while playing are steadily improving which is lifting the team in your drops. Getting everyone to group up at the start and reform when needed during the match is super helpfull.
Emotive directions are a good way to go.
2x damaged lights in C4 is more likley to get a response than 2x LTS in C4
kinda like yelling 'easy meat in C4!'.
A lot of pugs are like piranha when they smell blood in the water.

All the best and I promise to skip you and focus down the Mech next to you when I see you!

Edited by testhero, 10 February 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#88 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

My W/L ratio is only .87 my K/D ratio is terrible. I play mechs that interest me not ones I'm going to be good at. I also will do what needs to be done in a match instead of being a full in reverse pop tarter whos crying about his stats. I've loved BattleTech since I saw the first boxed edition. I have fun. And its great pushing a stat kid into a corner and beating him to death so he can rage and cry and call me bad names.

#89 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

View Postcleghorn6, on 10 February 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Dude this is not fun. I think 12 Commando matches (including a couple I had to rejoin after a client crash and I was already dead) I think maybe 2 wins. I can't carry a low tier team in a Commando.

Brutal.

I've Basic'd out the COM-1B with 3 x MPL and a 240XL. I've now moved on to the COM-3A with 2 x SRM6 and a ML, 200XL (which I had lying around).

I bought 3 Commandos for under 3.5 million (on sale, yay!), I spent 10 million setting the 1B up (I had to buy an engine and a module) and I still fscking hate it. I spent 2 million more on the 3A. Even if I Master all 3 (which is emphatically not going to happen) I'll still take a loss on the approximately 900,000 matches it would take. I'm hemorrhaging PSR like you wouldn't believe and most importantly, I'm not enjoying it at all.

I remember now why I gave up on lights.

heh, I remember when I ran COMs ... started on them the week before the 1st lrmageddon with the broken missile splash damage radius. i stayed with them and did master the 4 non-hero mechs, that was a painful grind ...

Then last year when the death's knell went on sale for 50% and I had some event mc I thought what the hell i'll try the COM chassis again. It was painful but no where as bad as it was the 1st time, heh.

#90 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

Im in same boat, been playing since day 1 and I still have bad k/d (not that I really care) but yeah I only get to play once or twice a week for casual fun and am no in an active clan on this game. had some buds who where on a couple years ago ,but nothing serious,so I fall in the mediocre catagory of players myself.

#91 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

You know what? You're right. I have been spoiled by running my meta-tastic ACHs, HBK IICs and WHMs. I was on the verge of breaking into Tier 3 and I was caring way too much.

Ok, lets do over, just trying to put good matches in.

Now, how do I fit more ammo into a COM-3A...

#92 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

View Postcleghorn6, on 10 February 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

You know what? You're right. I have been spoiled by running my meta-tastic ACHs, HBK IICs and WHMs. I was on the verge of breaking into Tier 3 and I was caring way too much.

Ok, lets do over, just trying to put good matches in.

Now, how do I fit more ammo into a COM-3A...

Have you tried this?

The XL 195 is very rarely used in any mech. I think it's another one of those where I might be the only guy in MWO that owns one. However, it's better than the 200 in that it saves you a half ton when you mount your 8th DHS.

Going from 195 to 200 costs you 1.5 tons for that 8th DHS. Plus the cooling bonus from having the 8th be internal is negligible here.

Try it, and see if it works out. Of course, that's if you like running SRMs. If you're running LRMs, then that's a simple swap of the SRM 44 to LRM 5s (same tonnage and slot cost).

#93 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

200xl version

Posted Image of course it costs more for the FF and 200 XL

#94 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:02 AM

Groutknoll has the exact same build as I do.

@IraqiWalker it took me a while to see where you'd spent the extra half ton, no FF.

Managed to sneak a match in this morning, it's uploaded I just need to put some comments in. The first match I was actually pleased with in a Commando. I'll call that progress.

#95 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

View Postcleghorn6, on 13 February 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

Groutknoll has the exact same build as I do.

@IraqiWalker it took me a while to see where you'd spent the extra half ton, no FF.

Managed to sneak a match in this morning, it's uploaded I just need to put some comments in. The first match I was actually pleased with in a Commando. I'll call that progress.

Yay!

Glad to see you're not utterly broken, and dismayed by their state, XD. The commando was my first mech, and I always had loads of fun in it (I think the 2D is still in my top 5 best performing mechs.)

#96 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:55 AM

Down but not out my friend ;)

#97 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:23 AM

Any COM-2D build ideas you Commando loving weirdos?

I have an XL200, lets assume I'm not willing to buy another engine right now (I may be able to find something smaller). At the moment I have 2 x SRM4 (2 or 3T, can't check right now) and an ML which is deeply underwhelming.

What should I go for? ERLL? LPL even?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope.

#98 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:49 PM

View Postcleghorn6, on 16 February 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

Any COM-2D build ideas you Commando loving weirdos?

I have an XL200, lets assume I'm not willing to buy another engine right now (I may be able to find something smaller). At the moment I have 2 x SRM4 (2 or 3T, can't check right now) and an ML which is deeply underwhelming.

What should I go for? ERLL? LPL even?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope.

ECM+ERLL is a fun harassment build.

However, my best one was the 3xSSRM2s + 1 ML build. 3 streak 2s plus ECM, plus ML. I don't deal less than 500 damage with that build in a drop.

If you want to be a troll, we had a build that was known as Trollmando (it's LRM5s). That build was so well known that one of the ribbons in my sig is for it.

Order of the Trollmando

Awarded to anyone who's seen a lance of assault mechs stumble around in confusion as a Commando with LRM5's wreaks havoc from afar, like some kind of fireball-throwing wizard.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 February 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#99 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

I think newer players take the boost to their tier calculator for granted. I see a lot of newer players, that mock older players for their tier and k/d ratio. Guess what buckos, we never got your fancy calculator. I am digging my way out of a hole from just after beta, and each day the hole isn't as deep.

#100 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 February 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

If you want to be a troll, we had a build that was known as Trollmando (it's LRM5s). That build was so well known that one of the ribbons in my sig is for it.

ZOMFG! I had forgotten all about the Trollmando! I had a similar build for my Oxide during (I think) Lurmageddon 2 and I ended up at one stage with a 6.something KDR. I will run it at least once. In fact, let me just open up the client now ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users