• LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Mechwarrior 2.

#23 Sumer Nivek

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

For everyone eternally making fun of AOL, it did give us Multiplayer BattleTech: Solaris. I remember that and the original Neverwinter made AOL a king in the mid-90's. Solaris came before 3025 and really showed us all what this newfangled thing called the "internet" could do in bringing people together.

I know some of you picked 3025, but Solaris deserves the biggest shout out! I hope MWO can deliver the "magic" that Solaris gave to all of us lucky enough to play it way back in 1996.

#24 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

best bt mw game?
ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Battletech MUX

From huge persistent maps, the need to salvage and repair/reload in semi-real time, and the need to always have a plan B and C in case of unexpected reinforcements. The tough decisions of whether to grab a damaged mech and risk getting over-run as you tried to drag it back to base, or just core it and run so the enemy doesn't get it.

#26 CmdrSpider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

I've loved every aspect of the Battletech universe that I've had the opportunity to participate in. But to date I would still have to say the table top version of the game gave me the most realistic feel for what I envisioned Mech vs Mech combat would be like. The thrill seeing an LRM5 shot from my 30 ton Hitman take out an Awesome with a single headshot, well it was just say it was Awesome (pun intended). War veterans would refer to this kind of shot as the "Golden BB." Simple put a one in a thousand shot that hits the mark that makes the kill. This was a quality in the Mechwarrior games that was never place to the best of my recollection (which may be flawed).

Another favorite table top battle saw my 80 Awesome fighting a walking retreat. My mech had be retreating 3 hexes for 10 rounds an literally had no armor, was down to his last 13 points of internal structure 6 of which were in his right torso. On my 2nd to last movement turn I was able to reach the end of the game board, but could not exit. During the firing round I fired my last working PPC (located in the RT) and missed a fast moving 30 ton Spider with 2 Medium lasers. The Spider missed me with the first shot and hit me with the 2nd. The player rolled in antiicipation of the kill, but the Mech God's were watching over me as the 1 in 8 roll for location came up RT, blasting away 6 of his 5 remaining internal structure points. Next turn I walked off the map with 8 internal structure points left to my name.

This is the stuff legends are made of, the part of every Battletech story I've ever read that I'm hoping can somehow be translated into reality in our this new venue. I look forward to many years of enjoyment in this latest installment of the Battletech universe.

#27 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

In order:

First: Battletech, Tech Level 1

Second: Battletech (Other)

Third: Mechwarrior 2: Merc

Honorable Mention: Mechwarrior 3 (First game personally played)

#28 Uxion

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

The only games I managed to get working: Mech 4 and Mercs

#29 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

TABLE TOP! 3rd Edition + City Tech.

#30 william kane

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Table Top, CCG and Mechcommander in that order.

#31 Graewulf

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Tabletop. I got my first taste back in 1986. BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat. I still have it and even all the old blank BattleMech sheets we used to have to fill in for each Mech. Ah, the good ole days! Yes, I know...I'm old. :P

#32 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postpatricia silverfox, on 03 July 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Best tabletop game: Battletech: A game of armored combat

Best PC game - First-Person: Mechwarrior

Best PC game - Third-Person: MechCommander

Best Console game - Still to be determined (sorry folks MechAssault was complete poop)

Best Console mech game - Steel Batallion (did I mention MechAssault was complete poop yet?)

Honorable Mention: BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (the first PC Battletech game ever made and made by Westwood Studios whom went on to create the Command and Conquer franchise)

as i dont agree with the fact of mech assult being crap i will defend till death your right to say it, but why did u thing MA was bad, i loved that game

#33 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I have always wanted to play the table top game, it seems like alot of fun but i have noone to play with :P

#34 Karyu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostWildcat, on 03 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

ya I had the best fun with Mech Commander 2, if there will be a Mechcommander 3 I think it will be even more fun with updated Graphics

I have to say MechCommander 3: Mercenaries would easily be the best Mech game ever. Imagine commanding a mercenary company (or even battalion) that you could split up and deploy throughout the IS with travel time, in-depth logistics and massive selection of mechs and pilots.

As far as existing games...MC2 and MWO. MPBT 3025 could have been AMAZING if given the chance.

#35 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostNeenja, on 03 July 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries had such a massive selection of 'Mechs available, it was insane. Everything else afterwards pretty much built on that game's selection, 'Mech lab, and unit command controls.

Not to mention it was the first game (that I'm aware of) where you got to play the part of an Inner Sphere unit that was one of the first to encounter the Clans. Those first few times you run into unknown enemies with more armor, more weaponry, more speed, and better cooling... It was pretty intimidating.

Agreed! MW2Mercs is the best MW video game so far.

#36 Whacked

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

tabletop hands down

MW2:Mercs

MW2

never did play the MC games

#37 Januph

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Of all the forms of BT/MW the CCG I played most. KNew alot of people that played and the randomness of drawing cards was a huge part of it. Each battle was different played alot of 1 on 1, 3 person, 2 on 2, 3 on 3. Forgot which Dasher/Fire Moth had the sick overheat combined with Effective Groundwork was psycho and then got banned thank goodness. Pretty much the same as Fireball in MTG for effectiveness on price.

Edited by Januph, 03 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#38 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Mechwarrior 2: Mercs

#39 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Its a good thing so many people are saying MW2 Mercs because i put a hold on it in the library

#40 Ayumi Silverfops

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostIcarax, on 03 July 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

as i dont agree with the fact of mech assult being crap i will defend till death your right to say it, but why did u thing MA was bad, i loved that game

A lot of it had to do with three simple facts:

- The entire game was more of an action game than a simulation which is the feel that all games prior (I think MW3 was the last one that held this and it changed for MW4 and MW4:Mercs) retained

- The game ignored established Battletech lore from both the fiction and TT standpoint

- The story for the game was, to put it bluntly, abysmal and nowhere the standard set by prior titles

I could go into an even deeper review of it but I think you get the idea. Neither of the MechAssault titles were a true representation of the source material and, if anything, it played lip service to it and you could have just as easily swapped the skins for any other third-person action scifi shooter and still come up with the same game. For those who this was their first taste, and they somehow got here, I give you much credit but the fact is that the majority whom played it forgot about it and Battletech not long after finishing the game if they did at all (another strike against the game was that it was just so bad from a single-player standpoint that many never really finished it).

If this doesn't answer your question let me know what I should clarify and I'll try and do that for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users