#41 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

View Postpatricia silverfox, on 04 July 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

A lot of it had to do with three simple facts:

- The entire game was more of an action game than a simulation which is the feel that all games prior (I think MW3 was the last one that held this and it changed for MW4 and MW4:Mercs) retained

- The game ignored established Battletech lore from both the fiction and TT standpoint

- The story for the game was, to put it bluntly, abysmal and nowhere the standard set by prior titles

I could go into an even deeper review of it but I think you get the idea. Neither of the MechAssault titles were a true representation of the source material and, if anything, it played lip service to it and you could have just as easily swapped the skins for any other third-person action scifi shooter and still come up with the same game. For those who this was their first taste, and they somehow got here, I give you much credit but the fact is that the majority whom played it forgot about it and Battletech not long after finishing the game if they did at all (another strike against the game was that it was just so bad from a single-player standpoint that many never really finished it).

If this doesn't answer your question let me know what I should clarify and I'll try and do that for you.

A lot of this big stray from "real battletech" comes from the weird hardpoint systems that ignored all the previously establish 'Mech construction rules.

#42 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

View Postpatricia silverfox, on 04 July 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

A lot of it had to do with three simple facts:

- The entire game was more of an action game than a simulation which is the feel that all games prior (I think MW3 was the last one that held this and it changed for MW4 and MW4:Mercs) retained

- The game ignored established Battletech lore from both the fiction and TT standpoint

- The story for the game was, to put it bluntly, abysmal and nowhere the standard set by prior titles

I could go into an even deeper review of it but I think you get the idea. Neither of the MechAssault titles were a true representation of the source material and, if anything, it played lip service to it and you could have just as easily swapped the skins for any other third-person action scifi shooter and still come up with the same game. For those who this was their first taste, and they somehow got here, I give you much credit but the fact is that the majority whom played it forgot about it and Battletech not long after finishing the game if they did at all (another strike against the game was that it was just so bad from a single-player standpoint that many never really finished it).

If this doesn't answer your question let me know what I should clarify and I'll try and do that for you.

well if it makes you feel better there is a possibility that a MA3 is coming out, just look up storm warning on youtube its a hint of that. I know it makes me feel like screaming. I think that Ma is one of my favorite battle tech games because it had a real actiony feel to it (like you said) it wasnt really supposed to be like the main series mostly for the fact it was a spin off. i am not sure if i like this or the simulation better. but everyone has their opinion, mine is i love MA your is you dont, but when i played MA i never even knew mech warrior existed, perhaps if i played mechwarrior first i may have liked it more

#43 Shrike88

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

With MechAssault being one of the only games I really remember (another young buck here), I do recall playing another of the titles but unfortunately don't remember which one.

For amusement I did play a little bit of Living Legends though.

#44 Ayumi Silverfops

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostIcarax, on 04 July 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

well if it makes you feel better there is a possibility that a MA3 is coming out, just look up storm warning on youtube its a hint of that. I know it makes me feel like screaming. I think that Ma is one of my favorite battle tech games because it had a real actiony feel to it (like you said) it wasnt really supposed to be like the main series mostly for the fact it was a spin off. i am not sure if i like this or the simulation better. but everyone has their opinion, mine is i love MA your is you dont, but when i played MA i never even knew mech warrior existed, perhaps if i played mechwarrior first i may have liked it more

Actually, the MechAssault 3 rumor turned out to be mistaken and was Day 1 Studios in-development MMO Reign of Thunder:

http://www.reignofthunder.com/

I've actually seen it myself and it's like a cross between Call of Duty and Hawken so if that's the gameplay you're looking for it looks like you'll be well served. You'll probably also want to consider Hawken as well which also has a similar playstyle.

#45 Lily of Thrace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUtopia, Terra

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Damn, beaten to it by the OP, I wanted to say MechAssault 2...
Seriously though, my favourite is probably a mash-up between MechWarrior 4: Mercs and MechWarrior: Living Legends.
The former has a nice little campaign, but once you've beaten it a few times, it gets kind of boring.
The latter is great fun, most of the time, but everything you earn only lasts until the end of the match. I'd like to keep on saving up cash between matches, since I mostly used battle armour, earning enough to buy myself an Atlas. Never again, I suck with anything larger than a medium mech on that game. Or anything larger that I tried.
The Demolisher, on the other hand... wouldn't mind using one of those again.
As I've said, those are my favourites... I don't think anyone could say that there truly is a best game, though. Different people, different tastes.

#46 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

View Postpatricia silverfox, on 04 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Actually, the MechAssault 3 rumor turned out to be mistaken and was Day 1 Studios in-development MMO Reign of Thunder:

I've actually seen it myself and it's like a cross between Call of Duty and Hawken so if that's the gameplay you're looking for it looks like you'll be well served. You'll probably also want to consider Hawken as well which also has a similar playstyle.

you just probably ruined my life...........

and i hate call of duty D:

and hawken D:

Edited by Icarax, 05 July 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#47 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

YA :D MW2 MERCS came in the library >:D time to go get it and play this ***** till its dry

#48 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Although I am glad you younger guys enjoyed Mech Assault, I really wish you had a chance to see the actual Mechwarrior titles when they were in their heyday, and that your introduction to the franchise wasn't through a mediocre (at least certainly when compared to the original series of simulators) console game.

I'm glad you are here to see what appears to be a "return to the feel of the original" with Mechwarrior Online, and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as you enjoyed Mech Assault.

Cheers.

#49 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Voting early for MechWarrior Online.

#50 Sigaria

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSotoba

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostFLAKPANZER, on 06 July 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Although I am glad you younger guys enjoyed Mech Assault, I really wish you had a chance to see the actual Mechwarrior titles when they were in their heyday, and that your introduction to the franchise wasn't through a mediocre (at least certainly when compared to the original series of simulators) console game.

I'm glad you are here to see what appears to be a "return to the feel of the original" with Mechwarrior Online, and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as you enjoyed Mech Assault.

Cheers.

even though i like mech assault better than the current mech warrior titles, i have enjoyed playing MW4 MERCS online

#51 Bucky Goldstein

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Arid-Zona Dessert (It's a DRY heat my A**)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have to agree with many others that nothing beats the tabletop game. I remember spending hours painting lead miniatures and imagining their appearance on the game board. I still have happy thoughts toward a Warhammer I painted with a psychedelic purple/red/black color scheme. Thuse were good times.

#52 Leonorran

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

MW:3

#53 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN USA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

My vote to MW 1 it took me I think about fifteen restarts to beat that game. The final set of battles was against the Black Widow herself in a prolonged campaign so no repairs or rearms. Pain in the *** just to get there but was a very fun open game.

#54 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Really can't say, I'm torn between Mechwarrior, Mechwarrior 2: Mercanaries and Battletech: Crescent Hawk.

Worst game: The one on SNES. (Never played Mech Assault so I can not really say.)

Actually, I would love to see aspects of that original Mechwarrior in MWO, assuming we ever get a PVE as an option.

Edited by Monsoon, 10 July 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#55 Hawk7

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

M.B.P.T. Solaris (maybe 'caue she was my first)

#56 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

View Postpatricia silverfox, on 04 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Totally looks like they were hoping to do another Battletech game, but didn't have the rights to make a F2P, since Piranha has it. It's so obvious that many of those 'bots were based on stuff in BT/MW. See Piranha, go ahead and make us the Unseen! :D

Otherwise, looks too much like a FPS rather then a Mech simulator.

Edited by Monsoon, 10 July 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#57 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

The inference is which 'electronic' BT game was the best. Since all computer BT games are based on BT TT, I will +1 that TT is the best. Second that, my favorite has been megamek. Prob is, my friends stopped playing and haven't been able to hook up with any groups....

So, hopefully, MWO will turn out to be the best, it sure is shaping up to be that way.

#58 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

It's always been the MW2 series for me.

#59 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts