• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Stop auto logging people out of the forums....just tried to answer some questions in the New Player Section only to have my post deleted with not even a slap on the ass when ya kicked me.

This sucks....i wil no longer be typing anything helpful because i get logged out if i get too long winded. Will be stuck to simple answers and questions as well as Yes and No when I can...this is getting too long and i fear it may be logged out any minute.

So annoying...I have sent emails to support about it

#2 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

Saw the thread title and thought, "I must know what this Looging thing is!"

Now I know. ^_^

Seriously though, it's pretty frustrating to finish a really long post and mash "Post," only to have it lost because MWO logged you out. I wish there was something in the system that would go, "Aha! This one's active and posting! I better not log him out!"

On a side note Revis, if you immediately hit the "Back" button on your browser, you can usually recover your post. It's often fragmented or filled with junk coding, but some careful deleting will fix it.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Maybe it was just a fluke, but the other day I was typing something a bit lengthy, and I went to hit "Post", and nothing happened.
"That... is odd." So I tried again. Nothing.
Then it occurred to me. "Maybe it logged me out, I should copy this."
So I did that, and then put it into Notepad, before refreshing the page.
Lo and behold, I was not logged in anymore.

Still not the best way for the site to treat a user, but better than just outright deleting the post. :ph34r:

#4 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

Don't you see why the added security measures are so vital? If they didn't log you out, hackers could uhhh... walk over to your computer and uhhh... look at your mech stats!!!!

We live in a dangerous world of cyber criminals and we should be thanking PGI for locking down all this "sensitive" information!

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

Can we PLEASE get somebody to take care of this? Good lord it's irritating. Look at all the complaints:

http://mwomercs.com/...-off-every-day/

http://mwomercs.com/...-re-logging-in/

http://mwomercs.com/...of-the-website/

http://mwomercs.com/...-in-the-forums/

http://mwomercs.com/...and-lost-posts/

Edited by Tarogato, 04 June 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#6 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Anytime I get long winded on a comment I will open a new tab before I hit post to make sure I am still signed in and if not to sign back in. Then when you tab back over and post you know it will send for sure.

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

I just make a habit of Ctrl+C on every post before I make it. It's that irritating - I have no idea when it's going to time out next. Should I keep a 24-hour egg timer next to my computer for every time I log into the MWO forums? I don't need an egg timer for other websites...

Please PGI admin overlords... lift this curse... Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 07 June 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#8 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

Because having your session hijacked is the better alternative...

#9 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:25 AM

View PostS3dition, on 07 June 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

Because having your session hijacked is the better alternative...

Dont worry, even the hijackers have given up these forums because they keep on getting logged off before they can finish a post.

But seriously... This is not a 24 hour log off or logging off after 2 or 3 hours of inactivity. Sometimes Im logged off after only a few minutes after logging in and browsing the forums. Any post longer than 15 minutes typing means automatic logging off some time during the typing, so I have made a habit of CTRL+C on all posts before hitting post.

This is deffinitely a badly set up forum security and not a question of security or no security, as none of us are questioning the need for this feature... just the way it has been implemented (Shoddy use of a system without a thought of what the various settings actually do before implementation... sounds familiar with some other settings in the past? ;) )

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

Don't know about others, but if I'm logged out when I hit "post", it starts to save post, then cancels and leaves me on the same page. I've not lost a single post from being logged out while creating it.

There is also a "restore saved post", that doesn't always show up. As you type, the forums (should) autosave your post as you are creating it, like a draft with your E-mail. Most times, it gives the option to restore that progress.

I do agree though that it is annoying. It tends to happen with me after I log in, I'll get one reply out, and then be logged out afterwards for my next reply. It is annoying, I agree.

If you really start to get frustrated by this, right click "select all" inside the posting box, then right click "copy". Then try to post. Then, if it fails to post, all you have to do is (relog back in) right click "paste" and your whole post is restored. (I do this for really long replies, just encase.)

If it helps any, I use Firefox as my browser program.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

PS: I find that most times I'm logged off was when the MW:O forums went onto maintenance for a moment. Any time a patch comes along, I am logged off (while everything is offline anyway). When the forums go from maintenance to online, I tend to get logged out again.

I think any hiccup in service will log you out.

#12 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

I no longer post anything without ctrl-a + ctrl-c before I hit submit. Had too many posts eaten to do otherwise, it's just habit now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users