#1 DriFD3S

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 46 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hey MWO community.

I have been playing for under a month. I am really enjoying the game.
My favourite movie of all time is Robot Jox. That's on Youtube, look it up.

Anyways,.. I got an Executioner, and I have been getting totally ripped apart with it,
even though I stripped weapons to beef up armour.
Atlas's seem to last through a hell of a lot of... well, hell!
Why does my Executioner go down easier than Spider???

#2 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Lots of things you can do but easiest and most risky is to put most of your armor forward and just leave about 18 in the back or less if you want. Lets you facetank most things, yes your back is weaker but you can twist. Also consider type of weapons and playstyle can help a lot.

#3 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

I guess you haven't been following the reddit.com/r/outreachhpg community and the discussion how the EXE is a POS.

#4 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 04 July 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

I guess you haven't been following the reddit.com/r/outreachhpg community and the discussion how the EXE is a POS.

To be fair most clanners think anything non timber is a POS.

#5 DriFD3S

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 46 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Honestly!? Damn. I didn't know there was a thing on Reddit about it.
I don't use Reddit.
When I play with the EBJ it's pretty good, but...
Yeah, Executioners look beefy, but don't play beefy.

I am saving up for another Clan mech. Mwahahahahaha.
Any suggestions for what to buy next?
Gargoyle? Dire Wolf? Warhawk?

#6 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

the EXE is bad but not impossible. After eliting and learning to play them like a striker and not a tank, they aren't bad. They can take a beating like an assault and run to cover in a pinch with JJ and MASC. They can also poke, shoot, and hide quickly. I do wish I could have the 8 tons of JJ back. I find the MASC very very useful, but would rather have those 8 tons of JJ used on weapons instead.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

View PostMavRCK, on 04 July 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Probably because eww, reddit. Also, he's new, probably wouldn't know about it anyways.

But, yeah, the problem with Assaults in general for new players is that you expect them to tank a lot of damage, but they don't on their own.

The Atlas pilots you encounter that soak a lot more damage? The Atlas doesn't have much more armor or structure than an Executioner. They take similar amounts of damage to bring down. And the Atlas is even larger overall, with easily targeted torso sections.

However, you'll find most atlas pilots are very good at twisting to spread incoming damage, and block shots with their arms. That's the key point, forcing your opponents to either hold their fire and wait, or chew through your massive arms before doing any important damage to you.

As a new player, I'd recommend staying away from assaults entirely, but as you've already got an executioner I'd recommend working on defensive piloting skills: twist to avoid fire, use MASC primarily to change direction quickly (that is, get back into cover fast so you're not taking damage at all). Executioners are unique among Assaults in being able to go to full reverse from full forward pretty much instantly with MASC assist.

It's not a face-tank mech, though. The only mechs that can stand, take damage and dish it successfully are the ones that can output enough damage to make their opponents back down. Dire Wolves, for example, some King Crab builds, that sort of thing.

#8 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

If you want easy mode there is the trinity crow, timber, dire.

#9 DriFD3S

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 46 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

Personally, my first mech was a Spider!
I love it. It's awesome,
But, I wanted to play Clan mech's only from now on, to be "cool" . . . .

I know how to play fast mech's, it's not the slowness that affects me, it's mostly that when I get into brawls,
I seem to explode mighty fast. I am not good at twisting to absorb damage...............

#10 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 04 July 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

To be fair, most comp players don't give two ***** about clan vs is TT roleplay tard ****.

While I wish you'd phrased that a little better, to be honest I'm getting that way myself. I'm really sick of the constant "Clanner!" "Spheroid!" BS, as if all these players suddenly became one of two factions... when in fact we've just been playing the game for years without factions, and for the huge majority of players, they have a faction because they had to more than anything else, but could care less about it.

I'm so tired of forum arguments that boil down to "Oh, you're just a <faction>, so obviously you want...." as if that person had no mechs of the other faction. Hell, they may not (even, given player counts in CW, probably don't) play CW at all.

#11 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostDriFD3S, on 04 July 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Personally, my first mech was a Spider!
I love it. It's awesome,
But, I wanted to play Clan mech's only from now on, to be "cool" . . . .

I know how to play fast mech's, it's not the slowness that affects me, it's mostly that when I get into brawls,
I seem to explode mighty fast. I am not good at twisting to absorb damage...............

Crow, unless the hitreg thing kills it on the 7th. Despite what most people say a lot of shots just go through it so very survivable. Can also make splat builds or mount just about anything, and its fast.

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostDriFD3S, on 04 July 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Get gud. Or don't play assaults.

If you want to pilot assaults, you have to twist to spread damage or you will die. The armor and structure difference even compared to heavies isn't that huge, and if multiple mechs are firing at you you'll die fast if you're not twisting between shots. This actually applies to Heavies and even Mediums, though to a lesser degree. It's one of the most important skills you can learn.

#13 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 July 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

While I wish you'd phrased that a little better, to be honest I'm getting that way myself. I'm really sick of the constant "Clanner!" "Spheroid!" BS, as if all these players suddenly became one of two factions... when in fact we've just been playing the game for years without factions, and for the huge majority of players, they have a faction because they had to more than anything else, but could care less about it.

I'm so tired of forum arguments that boil down to "Oh, you're just a <faction>, so obviously you want...." as if that person had no mechs of the other faction. Hell, they may not (even, given player counts in CW, probably don't) play CW at all.

To be fair there is a tag telling us what you primarily play. And most such people seem to think IS is op despite the trinity. Then they want other mechs to be as good as the trinity or they are 'pos'. Kinda tells all someone needs to, no need to roleplay.

#14 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostEider, on 04 July 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

To be fair there is a tag telling us what you primarily play. And most such people seem to think IS is op despite the trinity. Then they want other mechs to be as good as the trinity or they are 'pos'. Kinda tells all someone needs to, no need to roleplay.

But that's it. The tag DOESN'T say what you primarily play, it says what the majority of your friends primarily play.

If your unit goes Clan, you go Clan - you have no choice. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you don't play CW anyways.

You could have a Clan tag and never pilot IS mechs, or an IS tag and be 100% into Clan mechs. The forum tag is only relevant in any fashion IF you play CW, and that's my point.

MOST players don't play CW, and as such the faction tag is irrelevant.

Take me: I do play some CW; not a hell of a lot mind you. I'm a member of CGBI, and really like the lads there, so I stay Clan. I love my IS mechs though, and if you find me in a pub queue drop (where I spend most of my time) 9 times out of 10 I'll be in one of my IS mechs.

I still maintain that I wished they just said f*** it and went full on mixtech, then we wouldn't have these inane faction vs. faction arguments fueled by people who often have no clue whatsoever what they are talking about.

That's not a comment on existing faction balance, by the way - I neither claim it's good, nor am I making any claim as to which side is "better" - merely that the arguments about it are so very often uneducated and ignorant.

#15 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 July 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

But that's it. The tag DOESN'T say what you primarily play, it says what the majority of your friends primarily play.

If your unit goes Clan, you go Clan - you have no choice. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you don't play CW anyways.

You could have a Clan tag and never pilot IS mechs, or an IS tag and be 100% into Clan mechs. The forum tag is only relevant in any fashion IF you play CW, and that's my point.

MOST players don't play CW, and as such the faction tag is irrelevant.

Take me: I do play some CW; not a hell of a lot mind you. I'm a member of CGBI, and really like the lads there, so I stay Clan. I love my IS mechs though, and if you find me in a pub queue drop (where I spend most of my time) 9 times out of 10 I'll be in one of my IS mechs.

I still maintain that I wished they just said f*** it and went full on mixtech, then we wouldn't have these inane faction vs. faction arguments fueled by people who often have no clue whatsoever what they are talking about.

That's not a comment on existing faction balance, by the way - I neither claim it's good, nor am I making any claim as to which side is "better" - merely that the arguments about it are so very often uneducated and ignorant.

Its a game, yea you got a choice. Just like someone can choose to be an ***** online or not. As for the argument of that wich is better or not. I too own clan mechs and its simple numbers as to what is better. 5 < 6 etc. If IS mechs were actually better i would certainly comment on that being the case. As for cw? I dont think it can be used as an argument for much. There is a reason people dont play it anymore. And certain people like to use lore as a defense to the glaring balance issues. However i still enjoy playing other mechs, they arent just pos because not dire firepower or timber everything. Then to try and insult someone over the obvious.. try hards, such *******. Unlike certain players i dont just count things as pos and move on. Someone wanted some advice so i gave it.

#16 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostEider, on 04 July 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Its a game, yea you got a choice. Just like someone can choose to be an ***** online or not. As for the argument of that wich is better or not. I too own clan mechs and its simple numbers as to what is better. 5 < 6 etc. If IS mechs were actually better i would certainly comment on that being the case. As for cw? I dont think it can be used as an argument for much. There is a reason people dont play it anymore. And certain people like to use lore as a defense to the glaring balance issues. However i still enjoy playing other mechs, they arent just pos because not dire firepower or timber everything. Then to try and insult someone over the obvious.. try hards, such *******. Unlike certain players i dont just count things as pos and move on. Someone wanted some advice so i gave it.

I wasn't attacking you in any way there, nor do I have anything against your advice. If anything, I was just ranting off-topic about a personal pet peeve of mine, and I'm sorry if you took that as an attack on you.

I really, really get annoyed at the finger pointing and demonization that happens based on faction tag, when that faction tag is ultimately meaningless.

#17 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostEider, on 04 July 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

To be fair most clanners think anything non timber is a POS.

I actually think the timberwolf is **** and the executioner is the best assault mech for clans atm...

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

(Will edit this with suggestions once I get mine.) >.> Gimme a few days.

#19 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostDriFD3S, on 04 July 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Honestly!? Damn. I didn't know there was a thing on Reddit about it.
I don't use Reddit.

executioner was heavily criticized here before and post release, especially before they fixed its ct hitbox, it was too wide
i dunno why they even mentioned reddit

the main problem with exe... in many aspects it's like a worse gargoyle (another fast assault which doesn't need masc to be fast btw)
fast assaults suffer from low podspace and have few viable builds because they have to pack an immense engine

masc allows it to accelerate and decelerate very fast though but it should be hard to pull as a significant advantage for side peeking

I am saving up for another Clan mech. Mwahahahahaha.
Any suggestions for what to buy next?
Gargoyle? Dire Wolf? Warhawk?

timber wolf

#20 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

I don't have a problem with it, I treat it like a medium brawler and I do well.

4-5 small pulse 3-4 Medium and a TC with a bunch of DHS does the trick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users