• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Just curious what other people think of how MWO is compared to:

Personally this is the only FTP game I do so I have nothing to compare to.

Who else has done numerous FTPs and has a good base of comparison?

#2 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

Just ask yourself if any other game charged 500$ for a paint job.

There is no FTP game that compares to the greed in MWO's FTP model, and I'm and Steam monster than has played dozens and dozens of FTP games.

MWO's "premium" incentives aren't even that good.

#3 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

I've played numerous f2p games over the years and to be honest MWO is pretty good when it comes to accessing everything the payers have.

Colours, camos and cockpit items aren't essential for the gameplay and are just nice cosmetic things to have. The mechs are all accessible apart from new releases where the payers get them first. Hero mechs are also not pay to win and for the most part there are better standard alternatives. The only issue is the cbill and xp grind if you don't have premium. Well, the cbill and xp grind can still be an issue even if you have premium.

You can get some more mech bays from CW, although CW is failing a bit right now. Those mech bays are essential for levelling up mechs because of the poor 3 mechs for mastery format. I honestly think that 6-8 mech bays should be provided from the start or the 3 mech mastery system changed for something else.

Otherwise MWO is quite accessible and f2p friendly, a lot more than most games so kudos to PGI for that.

#4 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Their micropayments aren't very micro. That said, you can get a LOT of mechbays for free via events and CW ranks... so yeah. Outside of Camos/Colors/Hero mechs, you can get a lot out of this game for $0 invested. In fact a buddy of ours has like 9 mechs, some of them clan, and room for another mech or two without having dropped a single dollar into this game. He doesn't care about camos or colors so it works well for him.

#5 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

I played planet side 2.... The grind was horrible! Mwo is so far ahead compared to that.

#6 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostSquirg, on 15 July 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

There is no FTP game that compares to the greed in MWO's FTP model, and I'm and Steam monster than has played dozens and dozens of FTP games.

And yet with all that claimed experience you still do not know what your talking about.

#7 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

World of Tanks, Asian server, did.

http://forum.worldof...5156-type-59-g/

Enjoy your $600 GOLD-PAINTED T-59.

#8 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

MWO is one of the better ones I've played. The real money purchases are primarily just pay to grind less or pay for early access. They certainly have incentives for the whales ($500 gold mechs anyone?). PGI does a really good job of making sure that the hero mechs aren't more powerful than cbill mechs. There are also plenty of giveaways for things that are useful in game like premium time and mech bays.

I do think that they could offer a bit better value at the low end of investment. Particularly with the one-shot camp patterns and some of the colors. I'm also not a fan of the way they give out active premium time in small chunks. I usually earn it at the end of an evening of play, and I don't have a chance to use it most of the time.

#9 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

My only other f2p game is path of exile. So any other f2p game looks bad in comparision but im happy to be playing mwo.

#10 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 15 July 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

MWO is one of the better ones I've played. The real money purchases are primarily just pay to grind less or pay for early access. They certainly have incentives for the whales ($500 gold mechs anyone?). PGI does a really good job of making sure that the hero mechs aren't more powerful than cbill mechs. There are also plenty of giveaways for things that are useful in game like premium time and mech bays.

I do think that they could offer a bit better value at the low end of investment. Particularly with the one-shot camp patterns and some of the colors. I'm also not a fan of the way they give out active premium time in small chunks. I usually earn it at the end of an evening of play, and I don't have a chance to use it most of the time.

Glad people bought them too.

For a free game they are VERY generous with the free stuff! Tournaments and Challenges are a great source of freebies. All you have to do is play...

:)

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

It doesn't compare too well when compared to the more successful F2P games. $10 worth of MC for a Mist Lynx is just lolz. Mechbays used to be fairly priced but have depreciated in value imo with more and more mechs coming out (and there hasn't been a good mechbay event lately). Even the packs are badly priced, but despite that they are probably the best value out of anything that PGI offers.

When you compare this game to most broken F2P models though, it isn't the worst offender by far.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 15 July 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#12 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 15 July 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

It doesn't compare too well when compared the successful F2P games. $10 worth of MC for a Mist Lynx is just lolz. Mechbays used to be fairly priced but have depreciated in value imo with more and more mechs coming out (and there hasn't been a good mechbay event lately). Even the packs are badly priced, but despite that they are probably the best value out of anything that PGI offers.

When you compare this game to most broken F2P models though, it isn't the worst offender by far.

Must be doing something right for you to Master 187 free Mech Variants, and counting. Seems odd you would call it broken.

#13 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostScratx, on 15 July 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

World of Tanks, Asian server, did.

http://forum.worldof...5156-type-59-g/

Enjoy your $600 GOLD-PAINTED T-59.

Alright, WoT one-upped us in scumbaggery, I stand corrected.

View PostTWIAFU, on 15 July 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

And yet with all that claimed experience you still do not know what your talking about.

Nice to know you can rub two brain cells together and come up with a baseless ad hominem. Sure you can get everything you need in MWO without paying a cent, but I'm talking about the value of what you get versus what you pay for. Ignoring P2W and paywalls since it's not the point of the thread and I don't think they really apply to MWO anyway.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 15 July 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Must be doing something right for you to Master 187 free Mech Variants, and counting. Seems odd you would call it broken.

They weren't free, or did you miss my Whale Badge. The freemium adjective in this case means they aren't paywalled variants, ergo Heroes. Also having been in college until a couple months ago, I had plenty of time to dump into this game, and for that amount of time (and money to earn my whale badge), I would've gotten more in another game. The reason I stay despite that is because this game could be more, I'm a sucker for Battletech, and it is stompy robots.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 15 July 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#15 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

https://robertsspace...tionist-Digital

#16 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 15 July 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

I see your point but Star Citizen isn't F2P in the first place and this pack isn't just a paintjob.

#17 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

[sarcasm]That's a completely neutral, hate-free opinion.[/sarcasm]

MWO free to play model is just standard.
Not all that greedy, because they can't afford to lose too many players.
Not too much player friendly because they need to pay the bills.

Free to play is an alternative to the subscription model, which won't survive beyond WOW.
I played some games where the paying users get way more benefits than in MWO, as I played some free games in which you simply get everything without all that much effort without spending any money. MWO is halfway.

#18 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

I have 3 Champion mechs from giveways. MWO is pretty generous with events. The only big pay to win thing was the TBR/SCR/Direwolf for cash thing. Soon after they went to C-bills they got nerfed.... Nothing else seemed crooked.

#19 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostSquirg, on 15 July 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

I see your point but Star Citizen isn't F2P in the first place and this pack isn't just a paintjob.

yeah, but it is still $15000

#20 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

SC is the ultimate pre-order platform for whales.

No matter what MWO has done and no matter how bad MWO gets, nothing can dwarf the sheer LOL factor at people buying top tier SC packages.

Just look at No Man's Sky. Just look at ARK Survival Evolved. SC is never going to live up to its expectations and all of those die hard whales are going to be a great source of ridicule in the near future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users