#21 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 August 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

] And here is my Golden Lady. Posted Image.

hey, you can create golden mechs now for 0$ ??? ... how dare you. you ruined MWO 500$ business.... :)

#22 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

View PostTitannium, on 02 August 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

hey, you can create golden mechs now for 0$ ??? ... how dare you. you ruined MWO 500$ business.... :)

Technically it was around $3.5 total for the color + camo. :P

Edited by El Bandito, 02 August 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#23 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:15 AM

I tend to use disruptive patterns on ECM mechs, but with the price of patterns and having to buy them for every chassis separately I can't honestly say it's at all worth bothering with unless you have free camo to use.

#24 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

I used to use camo which made me harder to see, dull but not super-dark colours (the really dark ones actually make you easier to pick out on most maps).

Now I generally use really garish colours just for fun. My King Crabs are blazing orange, my wubverine looks like a disco-ball and my panthers look like toys for 5-year-olds.

And yes, my I do think my average life span has decreased slightly, though probably not because I'm all that much easier to see, but because I'm easier to remember. If people shot me in say my left ST, and run into me again a few minutes later, they will remember it was me they shot in the left ST.

Also, people with garish colours have obviously spent money on the game, meaning they have probably played quite a bit, meaning they on average are probably more of a threat than a mech with a basic green paintjob.

But the price of looking fabulous is a price I am willing to pay. B)

Edited by totgeboren, 03 August 2015 - 05:33 AM.

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

normally I wear Murphy's Law colors so Yellow Ochre, Blue and black highlights.

#26 PholkLorr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • LocationThe Best Player

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

Default camo is best camo.

Dull, dirty green blends in the best in most maps. Especially caustic Valley.

Outstanding colours make you stand out. But that may have been your purpose right? To stand out. So you stand out. Easy to shoot, easy to remember.

I use default camo. I repaint all my hero mechs to as default camo as possible.

Anyway, i play in first person mode so I can't even see my own robot's paint job.

You know, I used to play a druid in world of war craft. I had to spend 70 levels staring at an ugly bear's ass, or a cat's ass while every other class gets to see shinier gear. When I was epicced out I still looked exactly the same as I did at Lv 10. Fat, brown and ugly.

Edited by PholkLorr, 03 August 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#27 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

The glowing Gargoyle was nice. I loved to glow like I had a radiation problem.

#28 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

If you are bright and shiny on dark maps, it will be impossible to miss you.

Otherwise, it's hard to really notice the difference in the grand scheme of things.

#29 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 02 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Do you think having camo and colors makes you easier to spot? Do you tend to get targetted more if you have bright colors?

Oh God yes. I often paint my mech bright green 'cause I like to be an obvious dumb arse and holy bovine does it work. Whenever I run a bright color, I find myself taking a LOT more fire than if I'm running grays or browns.

In fact, I was in a skill funk about a year ago and actually recolored my mechs to drab colors and it did make an appreciable improvement on my games.

Edited by Suko, 03 August 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#30 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

This thread made me take my Wubverine out for a spin.
Posted Image

I have many games like this with this mech, despite the colours!
Posted Image

It is a handicap, but a rather small one if you manoeuvre properly. Of course, a hit-n-run mech or a mech that is long range is less affected by the colours of the camo than a brawler, who will draw lots of attention in a fight and thus get focused fired much more easily.

Edited by totgeboren, 03 August 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#31 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

The actual camo patterns help break up the mech outline but I found that in normal vision, the mechs stand out and the camo doesn't work as well.

Where it really helps is if someone is using Nightvision mode, using a tan, cream, white, or lighter grey along with some other darker colors break up the shape of a mech.

ECM obviously to block radar lock unless the mech is shut down.

Vagabond, Mountainline, Digital, Woodland are the ones I'm thinking of initially. I prefer vagabond using a light grey, dark grey, black combo and I can replace the black with green or brown to create an environment specific skin.

We're seeing more maps with trees on them, so I expect camo to make a larger impact. I know right now on Emerald Taiga I can see bright colored mechs through the trees easier than I can see camo ones. It requires movement or a lock to see the camo ones, while I can spot a bright mech that is stationary much easier through the tress without lock.

Edited by AlphaToaster, 03 August 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#32 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

If you want a camo for to be harder to spot, then you shouldn't paint your mech at all. The default Basic Green works best as a stealth camo on most of the maps except for Frozen City and Alpine for obvious reasons.

As many others pointed out already, colours don't work at long ranges, and at close ranges everyone can see you no matter what camo you have. So it's only an option for ECM mechs at mid-range. And if you paint your mech for being stealthy then you should always consider to have terrain in your background so you can blend into it.

Bright yellow, bright brown and some other green colours work too. Also if you want a pattern for your stealth camo then you might want to try the Mountain Line pattern.

I want to point out here that the Mountain Line pattern works great for mechs that tend to get legged like lights. Paint your legs black and the other two areas in bright colours. That reduces the amount of legging drastically. People tend to aim more likely on brighter things then darker ones.

Edited by Norman Kosh, 03 August 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#33 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

splinter camo works well. Camo choices would be better, frankly, if we could know what maps we would be dropping on next.

#34 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

Depends, currently I use pretty flagrant second swords of light or hells horse iota galaxy schemes on all my mechs because I am a lore hound, however without passive/active sensors like the previous MW titles or ECM it makes it harder to hide.

Did it once on bog in a dragon painted in multicam pattern. I quickly shut down in brush while an enemy direwolf walked by no more than 20m away from me and he didn't see me. :)

#35 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

Camo works but you have to use weapons that dont give away your position and you wont blend on every map. Most effective when your under ecm.

#36 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

View PostVirarasa, on 02 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Do you think having camo and colors makes you easier to spot? Do you tend to get targetted more if you have bright colors?

Not at all
Posted Image

#37 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Like most has said, far away, you're a grey blob, and most people rely on movement to spot you.

Closeup, slow mechs are too large to matter, and fast mech movement is too eyecatching to ignore.

Most of the time, we're not shooting the difference in colour anyway. We're shooting at the moving silhouette.

#38 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm camouflaged for a sweet rave party B)

Posted Image

#39 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

Its probably a given that the more colorful and brighter your paint job, the more you stand out. The more you stand out, the more likely you will be focused.

There are other factors too (overextending and being by yourself or being in a known deadly mech). Still, nothing yells "Here I am!" more than a neon paint job.

Who knows, maybe if you pilot a light mech and you Like drawing enemies away by playing "chase the light", bright colors might be more ideal.

In any case, some mechs like my Ilya and Timber Wolves tend to be brighter because I'm not as concerned about visibility. My more underdog mechs like my Vindicators, Urbanmechs, and Locusts tend to be outfitted with shades of grey (only 3, not 50) and in some cases (like the Vindi), in digital camo.

I try to make my Vindicators blend into the background as much as possible.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 04 August 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#40 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 03 August 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

Like most has said, far away, you're a grey blob, and most people rely on movement to spot you.

Closeup, slow mechs are too large to matter, and fast mech movement is too eyecatching to ignore.

Most of the time, we're not shooting the difference in colour anyway. We're shooting at the moving silhouette.

I think there is a lot of truth to that too. But, if there is 3 mechs moving into your sight, and two are camo and one is neon orange, red, and green, I'm betting people subconsciously will shoot at the brighter mech first just because their eyes are instantly drawn to it.

Maybe more veteran players might be more apt to identify the real threat and go after that first, but many players will fire at the first thing that draws their attention (especially in PUG play), and im guessing most times that will be the obnoxiously colored mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users