58 replies to this topic

#1 -VooDoo-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 164 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

With all the reductions in C-bill payouts it seems hardly worth using consumables at all. By the time an average match is over and you have used both consumables you may walk away with as little as 50k. The monetary system needs a revamp IMO.

To make matters worse, why do we have modules that cost upwards of 6X the cost of an average light mech? A module you attach to a mech costs more than the damn mech? Doesn't make any sense to me.

In any case, I think I am gonna stop using consumables altogether. Running premium time and using Prime clan variants for the C-bill bonus and I still don't make near what I made last year. A total pain in the ass...if you bought wave 3 like me...it will probably take the next 6-8 months of play to get them fully equipped. About 24 million just in modules each mech. Granted other people play way more than me (2-3 hours a day) but it's ridiculous in my mind how much play time is apparently expected so you have the funds to make your toys functional.

If I'm off track here let me know...but this is how I'm seeing it at the moment.

Edit: Term correction

Edited by Jazz Hands, 27 July 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

With deathballing being such a huge problem youd think they would reduce the cost of artillery to punish deathballing more.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostJazz Hands, on 27 July 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

With all the reductions in MC payouts it seems hardly worth using consumables at all. By the time an average match is over and you have used both consumables you may walk away with as little as 50k. The monetary system needs a revamp IMO.

To make matters worse, why do we have modules that cost upwards of 6X the cost of an average light mech? A module you attach to a mech costs more than the damn mech? Doesn't make any sense to me.

In any case, I think I am gonna stop using consumables altogether. Running premium time and using Prime clan variants for the C-bill bonus and I still don't make near what I made last year. A total pain in the ass...if you bought wave 3 like me...it will probably take the next 6-8 months of play to get them fully equipped. About 24 million just in modules each mech. Granted other people play way more than me (2-3 hours a day) but it's ridiculous in my mind how much play time is apparently expected so you have the funds to make your toys functional.

If I'm off track here let me know...but this is how I'm seeing it at the moment.

I never use Consumables unless I get some for free. The Game plays very nicely without them.

#4 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

I think earning CB in MWO is way to easy (that stuff just piles up and up and I already have everything I want).
And that even without Premium time or special Mechs.

I almost always use my consumables in CW.
But almost never in PUG games (because they aren't worth anything in the end).

If you're really sure using an arty in a PUG can turn the tide (giving you more money in the end), then it's worth it.
Friendly advice: NEVER use UAVs. They are shot down in seconds. Or only if you deem those few seconds to be worth it.

However, as always in life, if you just fire out all your resources without justifying chance of ROI, then you're just squandering your money and no amount of monetary easing will ever help you.

Edited by Paigan, 27 July 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

yeah using non-event non-free consumables is always detrimental for your c-bill earnings because they don't pay itself on average

they are used for a higher win chance on the cost of a part of your match earnings

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

I don't use consumables and i will hate you with my entire essence if you do.

They're one of the worst decisions PGI has made, just behind Dynamic Weapon Geometry and the decision to use CryEngine instead of Unreal. CryEngine makes me cry.

#7 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

With all the reductions in MC payouts it seems hardly worth using consumables at all. By the time an average match is over and you have used both consumables you may walk away with as little as 50k. The monetary system needs a revamp IMO.

Economically, the game needs a money sink. Consumables are the wrong way, IMO. R&R would be too hardcore for the average player.
A new system is needed.

#8 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

With all the reductions in MC payouts...

MC payouts? I think you might mean c-bills. And the last time c-bill payouts were adjusted it was to boost the payouts in Conquest mode.

Most people, at least in the solo queue, don't use consumables.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

that sink hole seems not to be deep enough.

#10 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

UAV: 40,000 CB, you'd have to make good use of it to get the money back.

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 July 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

I think that covers 99.9% of all players, but fair enough. I see where you're coming from :)

I use consumables, because I want the UAV from the MWO Teaser trailer and I want my scout mechs to have artillery & airstrikes to as some sort of surrogate for role warfare :)

#12 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

I have never spent MC on consumables and the ~80k per match to replenish is nothing. Hell, I haven't even used my premium MC consumables I won during various events.... I have so many freebies.....

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

With all the reductions in C-bill payouts it seems hardly worth using consumables at all. By the time an average match is over and you have used both consumables you may walk away with as little as 50k. The monetary system needs a revamp IMO.

I agree, but right now, they have two functions:
  • extra edge for tryharding harder
  • Sacrifice C-bills for extra XP per match

#14 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

Thats kind of why they added it.

If they really cared about gameplay these things would only be available to scout mechs

#15 Midax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I refuse to use them. The UAV might make its money back if you have alot of LRM mechs on your team, but the scouting bonus is only 2k cbills per mech. 24k cbills if you scout the whole team which isn't very likely. Thats a lot of LRM assists to get with not a lot of LRM boats out there.

#16 -VooDoo-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 164 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

I think in the general sense, not to have this be a blanket statement at all...but people that use many of the consumables have a more team oriented mindset or concern. UAV for friendly unit assistance etc...

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostMidax, on 27 July 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

I refuse to use them. The UAV might make its money back if you have alot of LRM mechs on your team, but the scouting bonus is only 2k cbills per mech. 24k cbills if you scout the whole team which isn't very likely. Thats a lot of LRM assists to get with not a lot of LRM boats out there.

Yes, but it's hard to quantify the value of the intel. If you pop a UAV and it causes the team to back off from a hornet's nest of enemies and wait for them to get softened up by LRMs, that UAV may very well have won the game.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 July 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

They're one of the worst decisions PGI has made, just behind Dynamic Weapon Geometry and the decision to use CryEngine instead of Unreal. CryEngine makes me cry.

Honestly, I don't think this game would be that much better under Unreal, given how the graphics are generally changed for the worse here over time.

#19 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

IMO, the only consumable that is worth it are the Cool Shots and even then, they should be used sparingly. I see a lot of people using their coolant only to be killed a few seconds later (I'm guilty of this as well). The rest of the consumables should only be used in a coordinated setting.

Besides that, yes, MWO does need a revamp in regards to the C-bill system.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

Edit: Term correction

The Consumables is kinda broken, but it actually hurts the non-Premium time users the most.

The thing about consumables SHOULD NOT be about throwing away money for every chance of winning. However, at a comp play level, this is done and then some.

The only module that even remotely seems teamwork-ish, but also a money drain is the UAV. It's most applicable thing is to "show the Doritos" and collect if you're the first one to spot them all with a UAV. That's it. Even then, you don't really make back all the money spent. It's a great "C-bills to XP/GXP conversion option".

Inevitably, the system itself is kinda borked, especially if you're running "Cool Shot 9" instead of the upgraded "Cool Shot 9x9" which is the "equivalent" of the MC version "Cool Shot 18". 40k instead of 10k for a "Cool Shot 6" is... mind blowing. I had suggested that they boost Cool Shot 9 to something like 12 to even properly justify the cost (to no avail of course, since it is PGI).

So, inevitably if you get around to spending 15K GXP (or more like 30K GXP to make the most out of a UAV) to maximize the sink (in conjunction with Advanced Seismic Sensor, a 17.5K GXP investment), then it all boils down to "terrible C-bill sink" unless you're competitive and thus it becomes nearly mandatory to "keep up" with those that already have said upgrades.

It's part of the Paulconomy that I genuinely DO NOT like.

If you have Premium Time, the blow is softened significantly. For those that don't run it... well, it becomes a real decision to make in combat (you should be selective anyways, but even more tightly so).

Edited by Deathlike, 27 July 2015 - 07:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users