• LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Oh yeahhhhh... Nevermind

#82 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 21 August 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

LRMs can never compete with direct fire weaponry. It's just not possible given their differences and inherent advantages/disadvantages. It's also not a scattergun since it is a homing stream of missiles rather than a shotgun spread like the LBX. Using small launchers plus Artemis makes for tight clusters that deal nearly all of their damage to single components.

Your complaint is not very accurate aside from the observation that LRMs cannot compete with direct fire weapons. Nor should they.

Most decent LRM lobbers don't mount lots of small launchers, between ghost heat and AMS drilling huge chunks out of the salvo. Part of the reason the Hunch-J does so well is it fires just enough missiles to get through AMS in small enough clusters to focus damage to a certain extent...at obscenely high rates of fire.

The average lurmchucker is mounting 10's that fire slower or 15s that fire wider AND slower. Never mind Clan LRMs, which actually do end up scattering across any target moving at speed.

#83 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

You just wont see many lrm20s because the tonnage and obscene spread even with artemis. My fave combo is still lrm15 and 5 grouped. You get a tighter grouping for 1 less tons and 1 cooler than the 20.

#84 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 August 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

please point to the 1.5t item that makes it so you CANT fire your ballistics. Ill wait

If you are referring to ECM, it does not prevent you from firing your LRMs. I have actually had some very good matches with my missile boats despite the current hand-wringing over ECM. Go equip BAP and TAG and you'll see your game improve drastically. Even with all this ECM, if you're not doing at least 600 damage in an LRM Mech, then you're not doing it right.

View Postwanderer, on 22 August 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

Most decent LRM lobbers don't mount lots of small launchers, between ghost heat and AMS drilling huge chunks out of the salvo. Part of the reason the Hunch-J does so well is it fires just enough missiles to get through AMS in small enough clusters to focus damage to a certain extent...at obscenely high rates of fire.

The average lurmchucker is mounting 10's that fire slower or 15s that fire wider AND slower. Never mind Clan LRMs, which actually do end up scattering across any target moving at speed.

It depends on the Mech. One of the Catapults makes a very good, 6xLRM/5 boat. I like running dual LRM 10s combined with dual 15s on my BLR-1S.

#85 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

So youre saying because i can fire but miss by dumb firing or be forced to equip 2.5 tons of extr equipment in 3 crit slots and a hard point to occasionally counter the 1.5 ton w slot and a special hardpoint piece of equipment that incidentally STILL stops all streak usage that it is equivalent to DF weapons?

I used to be able to do 500 plus damage nearly every match with lrms before the lrm 5 nerfs because russ died to them again. Then they sealth nerfed the damage when they included lrm5s in thd heat scale for i dropped over 40% damage overnight with no change in playstyle. So if you are regularly doing the same damage as of this time last year i want to see video on how you are doing it because i am not seeing that consistantly from any lrm mech i own or others i run with.

#86 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 22 August 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

I used to be able to do 500 plus damage nearly every match with lrms before the lrm 5 nerfs because russ died to them again.

balance

#87 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 22 August 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

If you are referring to ECM, it does not prevent you from firing your LRMs. I have actually had some very good matches with my missile boats despite the current hand-wringing over ECM. Go equip BAP and TAG and you'll see your game improve drastically. Even with all this ECM, if you're not doing at least 600 damage in an LRM Mech, then you're not doing it right.

It depends on the Mech. One of the Catapults makes a very good, 6xLRM/5 boat. I like running dual LRM 10s combined with dual 15s on my BLR-1S.

The -A1 suffers either suffers horribly from the ghost heat rules thanks to the changes or gets it's chain-firing gouged into uselessness given AMS- followed by anyone with brain cells getting inside the minimum and having a free kill.

The -1S on the other hand is more a normal lurmchucker: 2-4 launchers, LRM 15's featuring prominently in the layout, throwing 30-60 missiles per salvo. See also some Orions along the same line of thought.

And again, if you have to rely on LOS and TAG to use your LRMs, you're an inferior direct-fire 'Mech with slower weapon velocity, opponents that can automatically reduce your damage without effort, and inferior damage spread. Which is why you don't see competitive-level LRM use. Because you DO have to rely on LOS and TAG now.

#88 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

the issue with LRMs is as follows
they are devastating against inexperienced players (or those who refuse to learn to counter them)
they are very map dependent, and require the enemy not to have too many counters against mid level veteran players,
they are not very good against "elite" players.

this means they are almost impossible to balance in there current form, if you make them easier for new players to deal with they will become useless in the middle tiers, if you make them effective against the "elite" then they will be far too good against new players and too good against mid level players.

to make them good but not op in all tiers would require a complete redesign which I doubt PGI want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users