Executioner, Should I Get It?

56 replies to this topic

#1 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:59 AM

Do you guys find the mech fun to play? I'll have enough Cbills to get probably 2 of them when it comes out.

For context: I bought 3 Warhawks during the recent sale. One of em is close to mastery, and I've found success running LRM or ERPCC, and occasionally a short range ballistic/missile build (though its big cubeness falls apart pretty quicky). I also have a whale that is mastered but mostly collects dust (just don't like going that slow and having such a narrow torso twist). I mastered a Gargoyle. The low hardpoints annoyed me and even though I was winning games and getting kills, it was more frustrating than fun. I ended up selling all of them.

Looking at the Executioner, it seems pretty similar in shape. Can't go as fast of course, but has more tonnage, a MASC option, and JJs. In terms of getting high weapon mounts, you can either have a 2 Ballistic +1 Energy setup, or a 3 Energy setup. I'm thinkin I can make like a Gauss + LL or ERPPC type thing, then get the missile arm for a long range supporter type.

I'm on the fence here. Should I save the cash for the EBJ or Arctic Cheeter (probably won't be invincible once it drops for cbills lol)?

#2 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

First thing, arm weapons are pretty low slung. You'll see 1-2 of your lasers hitting terrain at certain angles.
Speed is ok, a little like stock IS heavies.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

Arms may be low but D side torsos are high. Expect to run either 2 Ballistics & 1 Energy or 3 Energy in all, either way you need 1-2 D torsos.

Me, I have also used the Left Arm, usually for weapons fired at close to mid range. I usually save the Right Arm for shielding due to its size.

There are MASC tricks that make the Mech work.
- short burst to come out of cover
- short burst to get in cover even when in reverse
- short burst to break Missile Lock
- short burst before jumping
- burst use while turning for faster turn, better than tapping jump jets

One of my Executioners is the first and currently only Mech I achieved over 1K damage with fighting in D4 area of River City poking in and out of the buildings there.

As an Assault, it seems to carry less firepower but has greater speed and maneuvering among the heaviest of them providing more opportunities if you learn to use MASC and JJs on it.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

I like it and I believe it is the best assault for the clans at the moment- however I also believe the shadowcat is a very good medium competeting with the hunchbacks and the stormcrows and the arctic cheetah has to many people over reacting because the clans now finally have a slightly slow light mech instead of a slow slow light.

I play the executioner quite regularly with stock-like builds on my prime, the D (which is practically stock) and that other one I forgot the name... the A however I didn't modify yet- will go wait for the D to be out for c-bills and have some fun.

#5 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

Traditional Laser Vomit
Medium Pulse Laser Vomit
Gauss Sword and Board
LBX Face Smasher

These are all pretty fun to me.

#6 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

The koala does fairly well, as it's one of the only assaults in the game you can call "agile" with a straight face. MASC for panic moonwalking (aka corner peeking) is awesome, and the jump jets do give it mobility (even if they are pretty damn restrictive, leaving little tonnage its weapon loadout). MASC also helps you out against lights, so if you're packing a lot of small lasers on your knuckle dragger arms, you can actually track the fast movers reasonably well with practice.

I don't have the pre-order D variant, so I don't have access to the best energy hardpoints, but the mech does decent with long range weapons in the torso and short/medium range weapons in the arms. ER PPC in the right torso, pulse lasers in the right arm, and UAC-10 in the left arm is a decent build. Peek one way when cold, peek the other when running hot, and you can sustain fire on the cannon/pulse lasers fairly well in a brawl if you must. By no means amazing damage output, but it's solid.

Sheer small laser spam using D components is also viable. I'd still likely put a UAC-10 in the left arm for a cooler weapon option.

If you like light/medium tactics, and want to use them in a 95 tonner for giggles, then go for it. But personally I probably would have skipped it in hindsight.

#7 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

It's relatively difficult to use effectively. Most of its firepower is arm-mounted, and unless you're using MASC, it really feels quite sluggish.

It's firepower is also relatively low for a 95t mech, with only 24.7t to spare with max armor.

Personally I don't find it that fun to play.

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Hmmm...thinking about getting this guy. I love my Awesome's for their agility. This thing sounds like it's right up my alley. Anyone know when they'll be released for CBills?

#9 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostVoivode, on 31 August 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Hmmm...thinking about getting this guy. I love my Awesome's for their agility. This thing sounds like it's right up my alley. Anyone know when they'll be released for CBills?

Tomorrow, which means you'll have immediate access to the D Omni pods.

#10 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostVoivode, on 31 August 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I'm in the same boat. I like the Awesomes and Banshees with bigger engine caps. Liked the Garg's mobility but low arms just ruin it. Exe only has 3 high mounts at most, but does have JJs and MASC to compensate

#11 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 31 August 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm in the same boat. I like the Awesomes and Banshees with bigger engine caps. Liked the Garg's mobility but low arms just ruin it. Exe only has 3 high mounts at most, but does have JJs and MASC to compensate

And boy do they, they make this mech the best side peeker in game at the moment.

#12 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 31 August 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Tomorrow, which means you'll have immediate access to the D Omni pods.

Good deal. I think I'll pick up a trio of these tonight. Damns, that means I'll be space-poor again. :D

#13 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

...meh..

Same free tonnage of a Timby, but with worse hardpoint locations (except a few in the torsi), worse hitboxes, much slower even with masc engaged.

It's weaponry can to dmg, though.

But see this: I've mastered all 6 HGN in a month, thanks to the recent sale; while my EXEs are still there, only 1 elited.

#14 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

I'm sure everyone has a different play style, but I would just say that for me the Ebon Jaguar would have a higher preference for me than the executioner.

#15 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

is EXE out today or next patch?

#16 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

just a suggestion:

Prioritize EBJ and/or ACH over EXE.

#17 notcoffeetable

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

Personally I like having the EXE in the stable, but the EBJ and the ACH were the only ones actually worth having. I play EXE because of the "flavor" and SHC once a day for double XP.

#18 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

The more people talk about it the more excited I get to try this guy out when I get home. I'm definitely one of those players that if most people regard a mech as bad I will do well in it and if they regard it as good I'll get my shoelaces all tangled up in the reactor right when the enemy is in front of me.

#19 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 01 September 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

is EXE out today or next patch?

Today, as per the Wave III FAQ.

They don't need to patch to open up content for sale that is already in the game.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

I realize this is probably too late, but... honestly, I wouldn't, if you only have the c-bills to buy two variants. It's usable, like any 'mech, but I've been hearing mixed things about it - with the balance rework coming up soon, I'd save my c-bills until I knew where everything hashes out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users