Jester

4 replies to this topic

#1 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:59 AM

The Jester is a derivative of the K2 but intended to run large lasers. I propose that LL quirks or some form of general energy weapon quirks remain. This, because the Jester's criticals and hardpoints (6E, nothing more, and two criticals in the CT) ensure that it will not carry as many weapons as its kindred.

Jesters are direct fire 'mechs that have to expose themselves for the duration of the laser beam, and that has to run from firing position to firing position. Inevitably, a Jester is going to take a beating because it can't stay under cover, and hill humping puts big ears up which are easily visible long range targets. In addition to structure enhancements it needs armor buffs so it can trade effectively with other 'mechs in the heavy class. Right now I routinely get one-shot killed often at medium to long range as soon as I poke an ear around a corner. That shouldn't happen. Additionally, to be viable all Catapults have to pack XL engines and therefore are even more fragile.

A Jester is a fast, agile support mech. I run mine with BAP, and I would take the position that it should be able to double as a heavy scout in that role. BAP ought to cancel out nerfs in information gathering. I'd love to see it become ECM capable but I suppose that's asking for too much.

The rescale may help some of these issues, but Catapult hit boxes also need to be looked at, across the board. Jesters are pay-only 'mechs; they ought to be a bit more survivable than they are.

Edited by Chados, 15 September 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#2 YGSLlewLP

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

4 ML, 2 LPL, JJS, full armor, XL300, and there goes a fast and agile Laser Heavy mid-range fighter. Best for flanking :D

#3 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostChados, on 15 September 2015 - 03:59 AM, said:

The Jester is a derivative of the K2 but intended to run large lasers. I propose that LL quirks or some form of general energy weapon quirks remain. This, because the Jester's criticals and hardpoints (6E, nothing more, and two criticals in the CT) ensure that it will not carry as many weapons as its kindred.

Jesters are direct fire 'mechs that have to expose themselves for the duration of the laser beam, and that has to run from firing position to firing position. Inevitably, a Jester is going to take a beating because it can't stay under cover, and hill humping puts big ears up which are easily visible long range targets. In addition to structure enhancements it needs armor buffs so it can trade effectively with other 'mechs in the heavy class. Right now I routinely get one-shot killed often at medium to long range as soon as I poke an ear around a corner. That shouldn't happen. Additionally, to be viable all Catapults have to pack XL engines and therefore are even more fragile.

A Jester is a fast, agile support mech. I run mine with BAP, and I would take the position that it should be able to double as a heavy scout in that role. BAP ought to cancel out nerfs in information gathering. I'd love to see it become ECM capable but I suppose that's asking for too much.

The rescale may help some of these issues, but Catapult hit boxes also need to be looked at, across the board. Jesters are pay-only 'mechs; they ought to be a bit more survivable than they are.

I have to know... What does your signature reference?
Does it have something to do with "Remember, remember, the 5th of November"?

P.S. This is one of my favorite Hero'mechs.

Edited by Grayson Sortek, 24 September 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

That's the 11/5 Catapult Nerf Meme.

It references November 5, 2013, when PGI released a change to Catapult artwork that made it effectively larger and mounted all but one missile launcher outside the missile ears. It was one of several nerfs to the chassis.

I have only played the game since August but the Catapult is my favorite chassis. I picked up the 11/5 meme to support those who are agitating for a Catapult rescale.

#5 Talan01

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

I agree with Chados. The Jester strikes me as a very mobile mech. But can't take direct fire in return too well.

I do love playing the Jester. I use a build that uses 2 ER LL and 4 MPLs. But the quirks for the mech seem to be out of date with the rest of the quirks. Take for example the Raven 2X. Normally it has 3 LLs.

Raven 2x quirks

Additional Structure Center Torso +6
Additional Structure L/R Arm +3
Additional Armor Left Arm +12
Additional Structure L/R Torso +4
Additional Structure L/R Leg +4
Medium Laser Cooldown 15%
Energy Weapon Cooldown 7.5%
Large Laser Heat Generation - 20%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -10%
Medium Laser Range 10%
Energy Weapon Range 5%
Laser Duration -15%
Missile Weapon Cooldown 15%
Turn Rate 10%

The sum here for the Raven 2x is 30% heat reduction for LLs. Plus a duration reduction of 15% and a nice cool down bonus of 7.5%. Seems reason enough to see Raven 2x to pack the 3 LLs for effective sniping.

The current Jester quirks don't even come close to the benefit that the Raven has.

Jester Quirks (current)

Additional Structure Center Torso +10
Additional Structure L/R Arm +10
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -10%
Large Laser Range 15%
Energy Weapon Range 7.5%
Laser Duration -10%

The current quirks don't even compare to other mechs it would appear.

Jester Quirks (proposed)
increase armor ???

Additional Structure Center Torso +15
Additional Structure L/R Arm +10
Large Laser Heat Generation -10%
Laser Duration -25%

Large Laser Range 20%
Medium Laser Cooldown 10%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -15%
Energy Weapon Range 10%
Energy Weapon Cooldown 7.5%
Cooling Effecientcy +10%
Movement Speed +5%
Turn Rate 5%

With the proposed quirks you now have a very agile mobile that doesn't have to pack as many heat sinks as possible just to be able to fight. A mech that can have a ton or two for other things besides heatsinks. A mech that can trade blows once in a while. One that could be that support mech or the ranged snipper. Your experience may very but for me I would like to see the quirks be improved. Not sure I would need ECM on this mech.

XL engine variation
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5913cb05f1876e1

Standard engine variation
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c36e415c0c856ff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users