744 replies to this topic

#681 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 26 September 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

No it doesn't. It only means you're not playing the game in a way that will make PSR go up in a steady rate. So basically not playing along with a game mechanic.

It's like you want to make C-bills, but as a die-hard Clan RPer you refuse to splash all enemy mechs for Assists and just focus on a particular target. It may not be optimal but if that's the way a person wants to play the game....

Personally I've got FUN as my yardstick. Because if I'm not playing a game in order to have fun (and challenging can be fun, just look at Dark Souls) then why am I playing it? (personal motivation of course)

If you want to increase PSR, support your team and play to win, instead of focusing on individual performance.

That is the correct way to play the game, because it is team based PvP.

#682 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

Tier 2

#683 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostGoose, on 26 September 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

If being a high tier, and thus afraid to be caught dead without your meta, is fun to you, then shore …

Competitive folks want competitive games. When everybody runs the best everything, and everybody is around the same skill level, then teamwork becomes the main deciding factor.

The meta may be boring by itself, but the matches I've been having are like an adrenaline rush every game. Lots of, "edge of your seat," style games, combined with some amazing performances from top players clutching a match every now and then.

Like a few others in this thread, I've created an alt, and will attempt to get up to Tier 1 using nothing but trial mechs. I got to see a few underhive (sorry, that truly is an accurate term) games while in Tier 4, but while I can see the appeal for the creativity and unpredictability, it was more boring for me personally.

I guess what I'm saying is, us meta humping tryhards are having fun. If you don't see fun in playing like that, and want to avoid it as much as possible, then why does how we play bother you?

#684 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Just barely made it into tier 5.

Posted Image

Also, I have noticed that a lot of the people admitting to tier 5 are names I recognize as being very likely to be involved in any threads that contain the keywords: Locust, Commando, or Urbanmech.

#685 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Man: You have no margin for success! :blink:

#686 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Tier 6. Even the stationary training ground mechs defeat me.

#687 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 26 September 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Can't it be both?

Ideally yes, it should be. But that's a hard judgement to make. Moving up in Tier is objective: you either move up, stay, or move down. Having fun, however, is subjective. Some people have fun regardless of whether or not their Tier standing improves. For those people the logic I quoted disintegrates. If Zensei was having fun playing before Tiers were made visible, then nothing has actually changed and he should keep buying 'Mechs like I assume he was before to play and continue having fun with.

Unless his values changed when Tiers became visible, which is perfectly fine.

I guess what I'm saying is, us meta humping tryhards are having fun. If you don't see fun in playing like that, and want to avoid it as much as possible, then why does how we play bother you?

It bothers people because they get tossed into the ringer with the competitive players, causing lopsided games. That, and I assume dropping K/Ds to people playing better 'Mechs also have something to do with it.

I would say there should be ranked and unranked games, but unranked would not solve the lopsiding problem unless all of the competitive-minded players stick to the ranked servers the vast majority of the time. What the game really needs is a working set of trade-offs so that there are counters available to any particular role a 'Mech might be built for...counters that don't involve simply building for the exact same role.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 26 September 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#688 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 September 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

It bothers people because they get tossed into the ringer with the competitive players, causing lopsided games. That, and I assume dropping K/Ds to people playing better 'Mechs also have something to do with it.

I would say there should be ranked and unranked games, but unranked would not solve the lopsiding problem unless all of the competitive-minded players stick to the ranked servers the vast majority of the time. What the game really needs is a working set of trade-offs so that there are counters available to any particular role a 'Mech might be built for...counters that don't involve simply building for the exact same role.

With full customization available, there will NEVER be a counter for everything. There will always be a certain number of mechs and weapons that provide the most consistent, efficient playstyle, over a wide majority of maps, in which the only counter will be a mech of similar effectiveness.

The only way to prevent a dominating meta is to limit customization drastically.

#689 CLANBOY FFI

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Tier 12 and proud

#690 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

I just returned to the game after a 4 month break and I am at Tier 5, which I believe is the lowest Tier.

I am a little confused about how the progression works though. The majority of my games say that my rating is going up, but my progress bar has not moved since I started playing again a few days ago. It has been in the exact same spot. Right smack dab in the middle.

Does it update once a week? Or is it really just that slow to progress?

#691 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostJaxRiot, on 26 September 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

I just returned to the game after a 4 month break and I am at Tier 5, which I believe is the lowest Tier.

I am a little confused about how the progression works though. The majority of my games say that my rating is going up, but my progress bar has not moved since I started playing again a few days ago. It has been in the exact same spot. Right smack dab in the middle.

It is slow. . . take screenshots and compare them every few games. . . you can see it moving. Sllllooooowwwwwwlllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

#692 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 September 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I'm gonna guess that PSR is easily maxed out based on how PGI's PSR scoring works.

psr is great, you can get low damage, do hardly anything and if your team wins your psr goes up.

Then you carry like there is no tomorrow, team sucks and your psr goes down.. ..makes sense

:ph34r:

Edited by White Bear 84, 26 September 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#693 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 26 September 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

With full customization available, there will NEVER be a counter for everything. There will always be a certain number of mechs and weapons that provide the most consistent, efficient playstyle, over a wide majority of maps, in which the only counter will be a mech of similar effectiveness.

The only way to prevent a dominating meta is to limit customization drastically.

No, but you can make it so complex that what is the best is not as obvious and not so absolutely dominating.

#694 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:39 AM

Level 6s are not a myth.

#695 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

Silly question, does the bar fill to the right or to the left?

#696 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 26 September 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Like a few others in this thread, I've created an alt, and will attempt to get up to Tier 1 using nothing but trial mechs. I got to see a few underhive (sorry, that truly is an accurate term) games while in Tier 4, but while I can see the appeal for the creativity and unpredictability, it was more boring for me personally.

That is a pretty sweet challenge :)

View Post3xnihilo, on 26 September 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Also, I have noticed that a lot of the people admitting to tier 5 are names I recognize as being very likely to be involved in any threads that contain the keywords: Locust, Commando, or Urbanmech.

^^Same might apply if you chose to run lower tier mechs more often than not, or play more casualy. What players forget is that PSR is not an end all to rating skill. Nor is it a 'my rating is bigger than yours contest'.

IMO I think players should treat it like a challenge. Can you get to Tier 1? If not, why? Can you be more accurate, is this class the right one for you. Players will get stuck at some levels, but no reason to try push harder, unless you are just happy to be where you are ;)

#697 kuritakun

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

t3 and happy at my current tier, its like the jack of all trades tier with good wins bad losses. fast games, slow sniping games, stupid games, intelligent games, die first, die last, 200dmg, 800 dmg, u get it all in tier 3 :)

#698 Euphoric1RW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostGaiDaigoji, on 22 September 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

I'd like to see if anyone got to Tier 1 with no Meta builds.

I'm sure they can, it has to do with play style and map awareness, and team play, not all of us are good with all of that, we get separated from group rush in and die, or get left alone because we are not paying attention, me I'm ok with that play style. I would rather be better at team play but it takes time to develop.

Having your mechs built right is important as well, and it does not have to be all meta, there are a lot of good weapon combinations that work well, all ac's and all laser vomit can work well too.

So if you have a so so mech build and you adhere to good in-game mechanics and use your terrain and work with team you can stay alive and get some kills, just takes patience which I don't have.. :P

#699 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostGoose, on 26 September 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

If being a high tier, and thus afraid to be caught dead without your meta, is fun to you, then shore …

Different people find fun in different ways. Some people like rock climbing, some people like sitting down & reading a book. Some people like playing iconic mechs, some people like grinding iconic mechs into the ground as efficiently as possible.

Meaning meta = fun for some people.

Even so, I don't play ultimate meta that much. My most common mechs in the last 3 months have been a gauss+4xERML Hellbringer and a 5xMPL Stromcrow (read: no OP quirks). I have maybe 10 matches in a 5SS in that time, 1/2 of them in private matches (and all those I was ASKED to switch into it). When I play, I focus on ONE thing: challenging myself to do better. When I see I've done well, or see how I can do better next time, I have fun. Funny how that improves my PSR...

So please, stop taking shots at tier 1 players & try to enjoy the game instead.
(unless being salty is YOUR meta...)

#700 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 26 September 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

I'll repost this pic, it covers ~2 dozen matches over a 3 day period. I inserted the updated/improved bar below the original bar:

Posted Image

My guess is it moves up/down based on how well you did. If it shows it went up & you did horrible, it probably was only a tiny increase. If you have the top score & a win, it probably goes up quite a bit more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users