• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

BATTLETECH BY HAREBRAINED SCHEMES ALPHA STRIKE KICKSTARTER

Yesterday (September 21st, 2015), I was privileged and honored to be able to speak on the phone with a man who has directed much of the story-telling for all of our BattleTech computer games, from MechWarrior II through MechWarrior III: Pirate’s Moon, and the MechCommander series. I have been involved with BattleTech for more than thirty years, and I have been handed, on a silver platter, much cause to be skeptical with anyone, or for any project, involved with the BattleTech universe since MechWarrior IV. From that time to the present day, we veterans of the game universe have been disregarded or abused, the massive and detailed story of the BattleTech universe all but entirely abandoned.

Yesterday I was assured, by one of the men in charge of Harebrained Schemes, Mitch Gitelman, that the new BattleTech game will take better care in this regard. Mr. Gitelman is responsible for many of the stories played in those same past BattleTech ventures, MechWarrior II – IV, and the MechCommander series, and the stories for the most recent Shadowrun Returns games, “Dead Man’s Switch”, “Dragonfall”, and “Hong Kong”. As well, one of the Father’s of BattleTech, Jordan Weisman, will be involved with this, much as he was with BattleTech, Crescent Hawk’s Inception and Revenge, MechWarrior II and III, and who is the driving force behind making this game, as well.

For those of you who are looking for a replacement for MechWarrior: Tactics, or MechWarrior: Tactical Command, or even a supplement for MechWarrior Online, this is going to be the game for you.

Based on yesterday’s conversation, which continued for over an hour of all manner of awesomeness, I am going to ask you to join me in supporting the new Kickstarter, launching on September 29th at 10am Pacific time. You will find more information at http://battletechgame.com/ . As much as I have loved BattleTech for these past three decades, I am also writing and sharing this out of that continued love. I will continue to support PGI in the hope they will build the game I eventually would love to see, as well as this new BattleTech game, and I extend the invitation to keep this moving forward, for the sake of being able to play now, to play something more soon, and to play something ultimate in the future.

Thank you.

~ Paul (Colonel Kay Wolf, Armageddon Unlimited, ret.)

Edited by Kay Wolf, 22 September 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#2 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Posted Image

#3 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

After being burned in a very hardcore fashion by MWT, I am having some serious trying to buy into another pre-alpha product. While they may be unable to "make good" with us MWT victims, it would be amazing if they did in fact had the founders database and gave an offer to us from it.

#4 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostKyrie, on 27 September 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

After being burned in a very hardcore fashion by MWT, I am having some serious trying to buy into another pre-alpha product. While they may be unable to "make good" with us MWT victims, it would be amazing if they did in fact had the founders database and gave an offer to us from it.
While I understand your reticence perfectly, MWT was a highly abortive attempt at making a game that could have been great, run by a company full of inept people, who tried to squeeze four-plus different developers to do what they wanted them to do, instead of letting the talent flow freely. Harebrained Schemes are not those folks.

View PostMarack Drock, on 27 September 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

already several threads on this.
Yes, and this one was the first -check the time-date stamp- so what's your point?

#5 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 27 September 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Yes, and this one was the first -check the time-date stamp- so what's your point?
Not quite. He has a point.

http://mwomercs.com/...rained-schemes/

July > September. Lots of discussion in the other thread, links to interviews, etc.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

Oh, hey, I'd no idea NGNG got wind of this!!! Cool!

#7 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

The Twitch livestream to start off the Kickstarter is going to happen in just over an hour!

http://twitch.tv/ngngtv

#8 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 28 September 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Oh, hey, I'd no idea NGNG got wind of this!!! Cool!
Considering how closely they work with PGI, I'd be surprised if they weren't informed (shortly) before this project actually became public knowledge! NGNG has really managed to set themselves up as a nice link between developers and gamers for anything concerning Battletech video gaming. :)

#9 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

Alright, the first Alpha Strike conversation is down... discussion?

- Create your own unit, show your unit livery and standards
- Maybe a way to be a part of canon units
- Mike Stackpole writing new prose for this
- Salvage being a centerline item
- Starting the game off with a simple skirmish mode, then working up to a PvE campaign and, eventually, up to a Solaris-style multiplayer
- What do you think the effect of Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman delving more deeply into the BattleTech universe will be on MechWarrior Online

What do you guys think?

Edited by Kay Wolf, 28 September 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#10 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Well, let's hope that your opinion, here, ends up counting for absolutely nothing.

Like I've said a couple of times, I was absolutely skeptical about the new BattleTech before I was able to talk to Mitch Gitelman on the phone, but both of us were geeking out like old friends -at least it felt that way for me- and everything he said in the phone call he mirrored this morning. Either he's an extraordinarily good salesman, or he actually loves the universe as much as I do and wants to do more for it, and at this point I am betting on the latter; so, HBS will get my money.

I am also betting that HBS will stick to their word a HELL of a lot better than PGI has, thus far. It broke my heart when they went back and re-wrote the original four-pillars posts, the reason I put down as much money as I could afford at the time. Had I been in much better financial shape, back then, I would also own a Founder's Atlas, Jenner, and Hunchback. With this game, I'm in a lot better shape, and so I'm going to put some money down on this one. Different company than PGI and IGP, the original developer of the tabletop game and a heavy author of the more famous BattleTech-based computer games we've ever had working together on this... they have my confidence, and my money.

#11 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

I just loved the remark of the guy from HBS

" Don't worry it wont be gold plated"

#12 Kyrie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

I am really looking forward to seeing how the project shapes up. My main concerns:

1) Seems geared exclusively to small scale tactical engagements (not necessarily a bad thing, just not necessarily my personal preference)
2) Does not seem to have a focus on grand-strategy house v house engagements.

With PGI apparently being reluctant to do the grand-strategy part, I keep hoping they will let someone else do it. :-)

#13 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

Kyrie, I couldn't agree more. At the very least, Objective-Based Warfare would slow down the run on planets in Invasion mode by requiring commanders to think, rather than just drop.

#14 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:58 AM

http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv/v/18262067

#15 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

Must burn PGI that they did in about 10 minutes (cash) what it took Transverse 15 days to almost do.

GO HBS GO!

Also, best quote "We know there are BattleTech fans that have been burned by other crowdfunding projects, and we’re really sorry you had to go through that."

#16 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 29 September 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Must burn PGI that they did in about 10 minutes (cash) what it took Transverse 15 days to almost do.

GO HBS GO!

Also, best quote "We know there are BattleTech fans that have been burned by other crowdfunding projects, and we’re really sorry you had to go through that."

Yeah well, that most likely is aimed at MW: Tactics.
And MWO reached over 5 millions with its crowdfunding campaign. I sure hope that HBS at least get the 2,5 millions they are aiming for.
I would love to get a refund on everything I spent on MWO after the Founder Pack (really enjoyed Closed Beta) and give the money to HBS - and I guess there are many guys here who would do the same thing.

#17 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 September 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

Here is why I am not backing it yet:
MechWarrior 4
MechAssault 1-2
MechWarrior Living Legends (most repetitive game ever made)
MechWarrior Online
MechWarrior Tactics

..... So about 14 years of... nothing but broken promises, crap, lies, and disappointment. Then on top of that anything being done with a kickstarter always has me nervous. Star Citizen is a scam (in my opinion I know all these fanboys will defend it until the last breathe so leave me alone I will hate it if I want, I put 400+ dollars into it and I feel shafted the end), Descent Underground looks like it may end up going the way of the dodo IMO, etc and then recently there was a huge lawsuit over a kickstarter scam also.

I have a lot of reason to think this is going to be bad. Also with the guy you spoke to: if it involves a product they are wanting to sell, of course they will say anything they can that is good about it, and will say the same things again.
Okay, I said I hope your opinion comes to nothing, so of course you're going to strike back. So, before this turns into a row, let me clarify for the umpteenth time, that I absolutely understand where you're coming from. In fact, I was there myself before last Tuesday... there was no way I was going to put in for this game.

Now, let's cover the other thing... the 'marketing' phone call. First, I'm 44 years of age, and I know a ******** phone call when i hear one so, second, I'm going to tell you this was not that kind of call. There was a great deal we spoke about, in earnest, about BattleTech, as well as many other products by FASA Corporation, the garbage Micro$oft did, the good things Microsoft did, and the fact that it's a great thing that Jordan has BattleTech completely back in his hands.

Reason being is because it is all marketing. If you wanted to sell something would you tell them that the product will be missing key points or may not work completely? Of course not! Bad for business, so why would he?
Have you read the Kickstarter page?

Just until HBS does something you hate, then you will come right back here.
Oh, I don't doubt in the least that something's going to come out that I don't care for, and you may very well be right about that. However, as long as the game overall is good, like this one, I'll continue to play it.

I am not crowding funding anything again, because I'd rather have actual proof that I will get a product and not lose my money for nothing. HBS may do well (I hope they do), but if not I won't be surprised nor unhappy cause I will not have spent any money on them.
Well, I spent a LOT of years not being able to participate, so with MWO, MWT, and now BattleTech, I am finally able to, and I think we're in for a very good time with a BattleTech-based future. It is your right to ignore it, I'll take your place on the wall this time, and I welcome you to come and play if and/or when a game comes out that is worthy of your desires for game-play.

#18 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 September 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

Just until HBS does something you hate, then you will come right back here.

Chances of me returning "here" are pretty much zero, even if HBS's game sucks. Haven't played MWO for many months now and I doubt that will change if it isn't suddenly taken over by another Dev team.

Most likely HBS will do something I or no one like/s but there is a chance they will make a good and solid BT game, and that's all I need. And looking at the people involved that chance is rather looking good. PGI had the opportunity to build something great, but it turned out they were an incompetent and greedy bunch of semi-professionals with no idea what they are doing.
HBS on the other hand has experience in exactly the genre the BT game will be (turn based strategy), they have a track record of excellent games and they have people involved who share a deep passion for BT and know the game in and out. So basically they have everything PGI doesn't.

Yes, it is a gamble, but compared to MWO, chances are not 50/50 that they will build a good game, rather something like 90/10, and that's a bet I'm willing to take.
Heck, they even have the art assets of MWO, the only thing PGI did right in the last 3 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users