Protocol When Fragged

22 replies to this topic

#1 Fearthegn

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:11 AM

Now granted I'm new to the server, though I have played many hours of Mechwarrior Computer games, just not online against players. Even so, I presume that there are certain standards of conduct which teams are expected to operate under in order to achieve a level of victory.

When I am online, I adopt a characater persona which includes a prominant southern Mississippi Valley twang which is done for comical effect. I likewise, prior to engagement, chat in that persona as a way of adding a bit of light hearted humor which has a psycological effect upon the team, giving every one a bit of tension alleviation. Or at least that's the idea. It has seemed to work so far.

However last night some member of my team shot me in the back, repeatedly, pretty much destorying my light mech's defensive capabilities. This was long before we made contact with the enemy. Now I presumed the first time was accidental so I ducked behind a rock and chewed him out in character. I got a good look at him. Everyone else had moved on.

Well I turned and started to catch up with the rest of the team and the fellow shot me up yet again, pretty much destroying what was left of my armor on my back and arms and legs. As this was my best mech (New to the game, it's the only one I have been able to buy and trick out sufficiently for it to perform a scouting and sniping service) I had pretty much lost my genuine combat capability.

It's at this point that I informed the team that it was clear I was not welcome and ejected from my mech and disconected leaving the team to fed for itself. All this happened prior to any contact with the opponsing forces.

Now I did not leave because I had lost my best mech, I still had three trials to go after it and while they are not the best mechs around, I have learned to make them somewhat useful if I am forced to employ them in a game.

I left because it was clear one player on my team was fragging me and I could not trust my team any more and knew it would directly impact my ability to perform, not to mention sabotage the entire team's efforts.

My question is, what is normal protocol for this sort of behavior? Did I do the right thing? Or should I have openly named the player and informed him that this behavior would not be tolerated, etc. There were other players in that team I had already fought in matches with that night and I am concerned that I might have beem misunderstood.

This from Jack

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

1 - Don't screw your team over by bailing.

2 - Use the handy new report tool to report the tool who shot you up.

3 - Spamming in-game VOIP with chatter is often unwelcome. Offering greetings and trying to coordinate a plan and such are all fine, but if you are constantly chatting about any random thing in an effort to "improve morale" or whatever, you're going to aggravate a lot of people.

4 - Suggesting to the player in question that he stop shooting you is good. If he keeps doing it, informing the team that he's still shooting you is good. At the end of the match, then, you can request that everyone on the team report him, making it far more likely that PGI will take notice of the reports and will discipline him.

#3 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

You did not do the right thing, in my opinion. The thing to do is to report the player to support, and announce to your team that the player is a team killer. Quitting during a match leaves your team at a bigger disadvantage than driving a wounded/trial mech. At least you can still do some damage and take a few hits away from your teammates.

As a side note, Community Warfare is not a good place for new players. If you only own one good mech, I would suggest sticking to regular matches. You will probably make money faster that way.

#4 Fearthegn

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for the advice. I'm glad there's something I can do. And likewise thanks for the side note Darwins. I actually enjoy the community matches and while I don't make as much money, I am learning a lot about the game.

#5 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 21 October 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

As a side note, Community Warfare is not a good place for new players. If you only own one good mech, I would suggest sticking to regular matches. You will probably make money faster that way.

If you're running solo and haven't been playing for very long, solo queue isn't anywhere as bad as many people on these forums try to make it out to be, and the earnings per minute will be a good bit higher.

Here are a few more things to consider:

1 - You're flying Clan colors. Clan mechs are generally more expensive to buy initially, often by 50% or more compared to a comparable weight in IS tech. Also, at least for those who care about the lore, an accent like the one you say you adopt is not appropriate. It makes plenty of sense for an IS merc, but for a Clanner driving front-line omnimechs it'll probably rub any lore junkies the wrong way.

2 - Clan tech will give you something of an edge in solo queue, which means that once you start really getting into the groove of MWO you should be earning pretty effectively. This should enable you to set up a more effective CW drop selection going forward. A few things to keep in mind, though, are that if ECM is available, always take the pod that has it. Even if the PTS ECM fix finds its way into the live environment, it's still a huge buff to every friendly who sticks close to you, and as it stands now it's the single most OP piece of kit you can bring. Also, if you want to maximize your build efficiency, try to drive omnimechs that come with Endo Steel (though a mech that can carry ECM but lacks ES is still always a good choice, such as the Loki/Hellbringer).

3 - When you do start running in CW, consider using the LFG and faction chat options to build an ad hoc premade. You may just find your friends list expanding and your win rate climbing. Few things are more fun than finding a group of 12 PUGs who have found that they work together well and are able to challenge even true unit premades.

4 - When you do use VOIP, always try to prioritize tactical comms over everything else. Calling targets, providing recon data, and suggesting maneuvers will endear you to the team and drastically amplify the effectiveness of your team, as well as your own personal contribution.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 21 October 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#6 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:19 PM

When fragged I generally lie down and try not to cry

#7 Lord Domino

• Pip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

Step one: NEVER EVER drop a light mech first, you are handicapping your team and probably cost them the match before they even had a chance. CW is all about winning the first wave.

Step two: don't be a baby, and if you want to role play a southern transgendered person or whatever it is you were talking about there, DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. You know, like in a role playing game, or chat roulette or basically anything that is not MWO.

Step three: notice how your teammates don't shoot you now that you are dropping in an appropriate mech for the first wave, and aren't being that annoying punk talking in a fake accent over Comme making everyone instantly want you to die.

Step four: ignore these steps and I WILL find and kill you in cw soon.

Cheers!

#8 Chaosbarbarian

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostLord Domino, on 23 October 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Step one: NEVER EVER drop a light mech first, you are handicapping your team and probably cost them the match before they even had a chance. CW is all about winning the first wave.

Step two: don't be a baby, and if you want to role play a southern transgendered person or whatever it is you were talking about there, DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. You know, like in a role playing game, or chat roulette or basically anything that is not MWO.

Step three: notice how your teammates don't shoot you now that you are dropping in an appropriate mech for the first wave, and aren't being that annoying punk talking in a fake accent over Comme making everyone instantly want you to die.

Cheers!

Wow dude, he was wrong n stuff but eh..... chill, obviously if you are Marik its ok to only have a drop deck of lights :)

#9 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

I would save your friendly banter for when you are playing with friends. Most people will assume that you are a troll (especially if you are in a bad mech for the situation which unfortunately you were) and will tend to have a short fuse when dealing with you. If you wanna improve morale then text some funny **** (it must be funny though no weird stuff or anything way out there) occasionally to your team but NEVER use VOIP for it unless it is requested and even then only in moderation.

#10 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Cheers!

Appropriate response is appropriate. 7/10.

#11 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

I suspect its more likely that someone may have got offended or thought you were taking the piss when you were using the accent, rather than shot you for taking a light or trial mech (that happens often enough), id stop doing the accent and focus on playing the game and calling targets, advising of locations of enemy mechs, etc .... stuff that's actually useful.

#12 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Gotta love the mostly negative smack down comments to the new guy humble enough to ask for advice on how to act. Way to go MWO community!

#13 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Here are a few tips to help out. Most of them have been mentioned already, but repetition is good for these.

1. CW is not friendly for noobs. Sorry, but really, if you are new, get used to the standard mode first. Save up and get one or two decent mechs first.

2. Don't clutter voice comms with tons of useless chatter. Some might not care, but if you are chatting it up while someone is trying to call what gate enemy forces are moving in....... they will probably get pretty angry.

3. If you just can't stay away from CW, at least type in the chat while the match is queuing about what mech to take first.

4. Don't ditch your team. If a friendly is stripping your mech, report them. Try not to lose your cool (easier said than done sometimes, I know).

5. Focus on developing your own play style, but don't be afraid to ask for help and tips. Sure there are plenty of ********, but there are plenty of players who will be happy to help you succeed too.

6. Get on NGNG, or a TS hub and meet some new friends. Even if you don't want to join a unit, there are lots of great people who can help you with builds, ideas and advice.

I hope those help.

#14 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

I like that someone brought up the accent in the context of Lore. Roleplaying in MWO, from my experience, is almost nonexistent but if you are going to adopt a persona and roleplay then you are going to have to roleplay. Within the Clans a southern/Mississippi accent would be completely foreign since they almost exclusively use "Star League" English. An accent like you described would single you out as an Inner Sphere plant, thus free to be killed without the honor of a trial, or maybe a bondsman -- which if you are in an OmniMech means you are a pretty amazing bondsman -- and you need to put up the damage to support that story line.

My experiance with loyalist Falcons is that comms chatter is at a minimum while in battle, mostly sitreps and calling targets, but between games it depends on the group. Keep the roleplaying to a minimum, either do it with friends on a TS channel or join/create a unit where it is encouraged/tolerated.

All that said, in my opinion there are very few situations where TKing is okay and this is not one of them. If someone does not like the chatter or thinks you are bringing the "wrong" 'Mechs there are better was of letting you know. If you saw who was shooting you, report them, but stick out the battle, if anything for the MechWarriors who are not ********. PGI has vastly simplified the reporting system, so check out the recent patch notes.

I hope this helps, sorry for the ****** actions of a few, and I hope you stick around. MWO is fun and frustrating, sometimes at the same time, but if I am away for more than a day it always drags me back.

#15 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

Play the game the way you want to play it and report those who shoot you on purpose. Also tell the team what one guy did and ask them to report him as well. More reports lead to faster responses. In my experience, teamkillers do not last long in this game.

#16 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:44 AM

Cheers!
Step five; Ignore this Dishonorable freeborn trash, If you feel more comfortable in a light mech use the light mech and do some scouting or skirmish runs to whittle down the enemy, all mechs have a role they are designed for and most light mechs are effective scouts there's even a clan heavy scout that is a medium.

Yeah you probably did the wrong thing in leaving the game you still had mechs to use ,but you were angry and probably not thinking clearly. next time tell the whole team he is shooting you, play the game through and report him near the end of the game if this was a normal no CW match that so called team mate just pretty much would have ruined the game for the entire team , I wouldn't be surprized if he didn't ruin the game that time it is people like that and dumino here that make this game not worth your time, PGI really needs to do something about this.

Edited by KursedVixen, 21 November 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#17 Commander Harrison

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

View Postrolly, on 23 October 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Gotta love the mostly negative smack down comments to the new guy humble enough to ask for advice on how to act. Way to go MWO community!

This guy said it right.

On another note, I have a Southern Mississippi Bondsman in my closet! How can that not be lore?

#18 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

funny, i thought this guy wantet to know what to do with team killers,
not if he is allowed to play CW (you are in every aspect!)
Whenever someone of my own team shoting me willingly repeadingly
i use to shoot him into pieces.When ever i see someone doing it to a team mate
i also wreck the TK`er to pieces.
Theres nothing nicer then 2 or 3 guys cooperate to teach a team killer a lesson.
The good thing is that teamkillers are extremely rare in this game
compared to age of chivallry or stuff like that.
Reporting dont work in my opinion.Never heared that someone got any punishment through
beeing reported.I think its more a psychological thing like "HA, now he`s gettin serious trouble!
That saved my day!"

P.S. but be carefully! Often a enemy light mech got behind you early in the game
shooting you in the back, when you turn around you just see a team mate.
It can look in such a situation like he has shot at you whats in reality wasent the case.
Happened to me before,gladly i reconnaised my failure early enough.
So think twice before you shoot, and call out the TK´er before opening fire and sending
waves of alphas in his direction.

Edited by shr84, 21 November 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#19 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostAleksis Kaidonovsky, on 21 November 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

This guy said it right.

On another note, I have a Southern Mississippi Bondsman in my closet! How can that not be lore?
Also since when do the clans have a Lord? he must be a bondsmen capture from battle that was related to one of the royal Families, he clearly does not represent his clan with his dishonorable post here. If i were his bondholder I would demote him to latrine duty. If he is a warrior I'd do worse not only would I strip his warrior status ,but I'd demote him to infantry if not the labor caste.

Edited by KursedVixen, 21 November 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#20 Wheels

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 37 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Things to do To Team Killers:

First, you should be running with FRAPS or another program that allows you to take screen shots, this way you can capture the screen that shows who it was that killed you, take many screen shots, take screen shots of the end of match team screen to show team members, map details as well time of match too.

Second, after you have been shot by team mate, turn and face him and inquire as to their intentions? At this point you'll either get an apology or he'll start shooting again, if he apologies then we move on and play the game, if he shoots me again then it's self-defense and one of us dies. When you are shot by a teammate you are allowed to defend yourself.

Third, report the TK incident and include the screen shots, PGI will acknowledge receipt of complaint but will not tell you outcome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users