19 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

Like me, you may have wondered why PGI charges more for some camo colours than for others. I've been researching this issue, and I'd like to pass on what I've learned about the reason for the differing prices of Basic, Standard and Premium colours.

First, you'll be glad to know that the differential prices of colours, even though they might arbitrary, are actually rationally grounded in the sound economic principle of "added value".

It all begins with unrefined Pixels, which PGI buys in bulk at a relatively low costs. These unrefined pixels are white ... but they contain all the colours of the rainbow. In order for PGI to be able to supply separately the many colours within the raw white pixels, PGI needs to refine them into their component colours.

This initial rough refining process yields the lowest cost colours, the "Standard" colours.

However, just as some chefs prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead of just plain Virgin Olive Oil, PGI knows that some MechWarriors prefer a higher degree of purity in their Mech camos. For these players, PGI undertakes a secondary, much more finely-calibrated refinement process using specially-developed centrifuges. These remove up to 0.01% of other colour impurities, and yield the "Premium" colours.

The one exception to the refining process is Black. In order to create Black, PGI needs to vacuum all the colour out of the white pixels, leaving them devoid of colour. As this is an entirely separate process - labour intensive and time-consuming - it's no surprise that Black is only available at a Premium price.

Finally, you may be wondering about the Basic colours ... the dull red and orange colours available for purchase through just CBills alone.

In a somewhat surprising twist, it turns out that these colours are actually the unwanted by-products of the white pixel refining process. Whereas other game developers might have simply discarded these in the local waste management facility, PGI cleverly recycles the leftover waste products (in the mining industry they'd be called 'tailings') in an eco-friendly way, making them available to us for mere CBills.

I hope you've found this behind-the-scenes look at how PGI creates custom colours for its Mech Lab. And next time you see Premium colours on sale, you'll doubly appreciate the discount on these highly refined and value-added pixels.

Edited by Appogee, 21 October 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#2 Phantom Limb

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBeyond The Wall

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Or, maybe the premium colours require a better grade pixel to produce. Maybe the higher grade pixels can't be sourced from the typical pixel factory in China, but needs to be bought from one of those hi-tech pixel factories in Germany.

My personal preference would be if PGI sourced all of their colours from fair trade, organic operations here in North America. I would even pay the premium for this because I know these colours are better for our mechs and help support local producers.

#3 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostPhantom Limb, on 21 October 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

My personal preference would be if PGI sourced all of their colours from fair trade, organic operations here in North America. I would even pay the premium for this because I know these colours are better for our mechs and help support local producers.

Good point. PGI are very secretive about their refining process, which is performed behind closed doors. They ascribe the secrecy to "the patent still being pending".

How can we be certain that child labour isn't used in the pixel refinement process, that the wages paid and worker conditions are fair?

Edited by Appogee, 21 October 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#4 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

View PostAppogee, on 21 October 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Good point. PGI are very secretive about their refining process, which is performed behind closed doors. They ascribe the secrecy to "the patent still being pending".

How can we be certain that child labour isn't used in the pixel refinement process, that the wages paid and worker conditions are fair?

You've got a good point there. I saw a video of conditions in a typical pixel mine, and they are atrocious! The cramped conditions, the Cheeto dust. Appalling. Just appauling.

#5 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

PGI charges more for colors that there aren't an equivalent basic color for and for which there would be quite a bit of demand.

Camo black and camo light grey for example give you white and black which are popular and you can't get them for cbills.

Further these are strategically less black and white than obsidian and titanium white which allows PGI to sell those for more money.

In short... it's how they improve their profitability.

#6 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Wrong... its simple... the amount of Blue or Gold in the color.
Since blue and Gold cost more to make the have to cost more.
diieee....

#7 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

I for one only buy Premium pixels.

Everyone who buys the cheap discount colours should be ashamed of yourselves. They're made in sweatshops in Ontario, by poor Canadian children. They work 16 hours per day and only earn 1500 MC per week.

#8 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

Can someone let me know when they start offering ethically sourced free range organic gluten-free artesin made pixels? I have a condition that doesn't allow me to use GMO pixels, but will pay a premium for these.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

The cheap "camo" colors are the best anyway.
I use basically nothing else, but them.

#10 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

oh... also it's a known fact that some pixels can cause skin cancer on Mechs...
so, you know, you have to be careful.
Its best to be safe and just buy the really good ones.

#11 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:14 PM

I read all that; and I want it all back, all the time back!

#12 Jabilac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

I logged in just to like your post. Very nice :)

#13 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostFrontGuard, on 21 October 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

oh... also it's a known fact that some pixels can cause skin cancer on Mechs...

Yes. I saw PGI trying to pass that off as a "New Resistance 2 Camo Overlay".

#14 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 21 October 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

The cheap "camo" colors are the best anyway.
I use basically nothing else, but them.

Do they last though? I heard the Basic and Standard colours wear off after a while.

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostAppogee, on 22 October 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Do they last though? I heard the Basic and Standard colours wear off after a while.

Where did you heard that bollocks?

Don't believe a word, they're as permanent as every other colour.

#16 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

Premium pixels also have a high damage absorption property. What players think of as HSR problems are really the mitigation properties of these premium pixels at work.

This is why Trial mechs, and players who are space poor get rekt harder.

#17 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

Don't forget, red makes the mechs faster too, that means it will cost you more.

#18 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

As relevant today as when I initially wrote it.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

you have to pay extra for the ones that have hex codes that spell out swear words in 1337 5p34k.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#20 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:04 AM

What irks me about cammo colors isn't the price.. It's that two colors with different names and prices can look exactly the same on a mech (almost no noticeable difference when applied).. Also, those same colors look totally different when applied to a pattern and to a decal..

That's just lame..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users