Is Anyone Else Tired Of Seeing The Exact Same Mechs And Builds?

Balance Gameplay

40 replies to this topic

#21 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Pretty sure the dropdeck tonnage has been bouncing between 240 and 250. I don't recall it ever hitting 260. It's the difference between 2TDR+2WVR or 3TDR+1BJ or 2STK+2RVN or 4DRG at 240 tons, or 3TDR+1WVR or 2STK+2CDA, etc. at 250 tons.

I'm happy to be wrong if someone's got a reference or a screenie. Maybe my forum-fu is weak and I just can't find it. >.>

#22 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

CW is very unfriendly to brawlers atm, at least in the form it is played by the playerbase, and is dominated by Med to Long Range Boats which limits buildoptions alot.

Win Conditions for CW should be more diverse(without making it a Skirmish variant) and attack vectors should be more diverse.

I don't think the Gate mechanic was a good idea at all. It fixes the whole match on these narrow alleys. It makes the game completely predictable and allows players to optimize their build for very specific situations. The tactical variations in CW are minimal and that a Lemming rush to the gens still can win a game shows the weaknesses of the current design.

Attack vectors should be less predictable, win conditions should be dynamic and possibly change throughout a match. Every weapon and buildoption should be considered when designing CW maps and modes.

That's my theoretical, the practical is more difficult. Anyone catched the drift?

Let's see this from the bird's eye view: CW is about conquering planets, taking a planet should take more than destroying a singular(!) orbital gun. A conquest(not the game mode) is about supply lines, reckon, outwitting and -maneuvering the enemy. It's about taking strategical positions and holding them, about intercepting and blocking enemy reinforcements. The final strike on the enemy HQ is just that: the culmination of the war efforts for a final triumph.

So how could we do this? I think CW gameplay is far too condensed atm. PGI should use far fewer, but more important planets and make these fights real Wars for these key worlds. The attack on a planet shouldn't be decided on a single battlefield but by summarizing multiple warefforts around the planet. We would need more and more diverse game-modes, you could even introduce Pure Light Fights to represent clashing reckon elements or even a reckon mode where you just gather intelligence but *avoid* to fight(spy vs spy mw style). An additional advantage of limiting yourself to fewer planets but with more drawn-out campaigns you would, naturally, gather more players on one point(and conclusively might get rid of stuff like ghostdrops). Gamemodes/Fights for strategical locations should be suited, on a mode-by-mode basis, to specific playstyles so everyone could find his niche in CW. The orbital cannons could still have a place then. Fights on planets would take longer and thus the iterations on the map would be slower making the whole thing a tad more realistic(a single planet campaign could take weeks to finally solve, heightening faction-loyality as well as emnity). That a planet can change it's ownership several times a week is already bordering on the ridiculous(if we imagine real logistics behind a wareffort - which I don't demand at this point).

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 17 November 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#23 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

It's less of a problem outside of CW really, but either way I try to just mix it up by making my own fun builds so that at least I'm not in the same boring mech every time while shooting at other peoples' same boring mechs.

#24 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 17 November 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

That's my theoretical, the practical is more difficult. Anyone catched the drift?

Yes, that's what all is about. PGI themselves who have to promote diversity by introducing enough variations. You cannot expect people to diversify when there's practically only one situation to optimize in.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 17 November 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#25 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 17 November 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

CW is very unfriendly to brawlers atm, at least in the form it is played by the playerbase, and is dominated by Med to Long Range Boats which limits buildoptions alot.

Win Conditions for CW should be more diverse(without making it a Skirmish variant) and attack vectors should be more diverse.

I don't think the Gate mechanic was a good idea at all. It fixes the whole match on these narrow alleys. It makes the game completely predictable and allows players to optimize their build for very specific situations. The tactical variations in CW are minimal and that a Lemming rush to the gens still can win a game shows the weaknesses of the current design.

Attack vectors should be less predictable, win conditions should be dynamic and possibly change throughout a match. Every weapon and buildoption should be considered when designing CW maps and modes.

The gates mechanic is basically the only thing that keeps it fair for defenders imo, since the defense is stuck to a spot (guarding omega). If the offense had more freedom to approach from any angle it would be EXTREMELY hard to set up as a defense.

#26 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 17 November 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Its 250 for me. Unless they just changed it this patch 5mins ago... otherwise I would be upping a FS9 to a BJ..

I meant 240 and 250. It's never gone above 250.

#27 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 17 November 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

The gates mechanic is basically the only thing that keeps it fair for defenders imo, since the defense is stuck to a spot (guarding omega). If the offense had more freedom to approach from any angle it would be EXTREMELY hard to set up as a defense.

Yeah if you think about it in the boundaries of the one, singular game-mode CW is offering atm. I concur.

I still do think that allowing the teams to deep strike one lance per game could make for a nasty surprise for both defender and attacker.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 17 November 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#28 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hmm No not really, I mean in most "Wars", who brings the second best equipment unless they have to? For CW you should bring the Best mechs with the bets builds. Having said that I would like more than just Laser's to be dominant

#29 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

I don't mind the meta builds no matter what they are....I do mind that the game got old since there is nothing to play for other than collecting mechs. That is what the thread should be about.

#30 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,959 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Its just thunderbolt spam.

Or stalker spam.

No variety at all.

#31 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...-team-loadouts/

Called it.

But hey.. I am crazy right?

Most of my predictions came out.

Edited by Sarlic, 17 November 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#32 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 November 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Am I correct to assume that bringing back poptarts in all their glory is fine with you. I myself am fine with that too:

Laser Hurlers vs Poptarts, who will win? Place your bets.

Oooo ooo I know the answer to this one! It's Pop tarts because people complained so long and hard that nerfing JJs wasn't enough, nerfing PPC velocity wasn't enough, putting a Charge up time on Gauss and breaking hit detection for PPCs is what stopped it cold.

Did I get it right?!?

#33 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostLugh, on 17 November 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

Oooo ooo I know the answer to this one! It's Pop tarts because people complained so long and hard that nerfing JJs wasn't enough, nerfing PPC velocity wasn't enough, putting a Charge up time on Gauss and breaking hit detection for PPCs is what stopped it cold.

Did I get it right?!?

I don't know. I want it in game to find out for myself. :D

#34 Kim FartDashion

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

I just Love MWO and CW only thing I would ask for is more armor on my Jaguar and fix my heat sinks to work I'm always overheating and blowing up HAHAHA. But besides that I'm having a ton of fun thanks PGI.

#35 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

Play to win bruh

#36 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostSolahma, on 17 November 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

It was originally 240, then they bumped it to 250, then they brought it back to 240, now it's 250 again.

EDIT:
wrong numbers

Thanks for clarification!

#37 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 November 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I don't know. I want it in game to find out for myself. :D

Pre PPC velocity nerf and cERML nerf I was taking a TBR-C with 2cLPL 5cERML and rainbow ralphing all over Dragonslayers and Timbertarts.

#38 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostSarlic, on 17 November 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...-team-loadouts/

Called it.

But hey.. I am crazy right?

Most of my predictions came out.

How is knowing the best mechs, then saying YOU WILL ONLY SEE THEM a prediction?

You have to predict BEFORE it happens this post is from Feb of this year.... So your saying after 3 years of playing your predicted the best mechs? AFTER you played for 3 YEARS? Your using that word predicted but i dont think you know what it means...

Your list on that thread is the GOOD mechs from the last 3 MW games lol.

Way to go Nostradamus....

Edited by DarthRevis, 17 November 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#39 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostSolahma, on 17 November 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

I meant 240 and 250. It's never gone above 250.

Yeah it did. Ok, for like a day, but still.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4666917

#40 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostSolahma, on 17 November 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

surprisingly Jun is exaggerating like typical Jun. You can't even fit 4 TDR in a dropdeck. That's 260 tons. The limit for IS is 250.

It's difficult to take you seriously when you straight-up make **** up.

You beat me to it. I'd love to be able to do a 4 TDR deck. Instead, I run other mechs involved in the complaint, as well as TDRs. I suppose my MPL Firestarter isn't meta enough, I should look for a 6 SL build...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users